• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Steelers' coordinator still candidate for Bills

By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
    Mike Mularkey would like to be an NFL head coach one day. Apparently, though, the Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive coordinator doesn't want that first opportunity to come in Oakland.

Just a day after the Raiders were granted permission to interview him for their opening, Mularkey turned down the opportunity to audition for the job. He did not give reasons for his decision.

The Raiders would have joined Atlanta and Buffalo as teams to interview Mularkey in the last two weeks. Mularkey remains one of seven candidates for the Bills opening; Buffalo won't fill the job before Monday, and he is likely one of the top two or three on its wish list.

more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

Any guy that can have a good season with Kordell Stewart and another good season with Tommy Maddox has some credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

• socalfan
      Old Fogey from Cali
      • Feb 2003

And a good sense of judgement if they turn down an interview with the Raiders.

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

With Stewart, they ran everything real basic. Maddox had one good year under Mularkey. Then there was this year. I caught a couple of Steelers games this year and saw too many similarities between their offensive problems and ours. Because of that, I'm quite uneasy about Mularkey coming to Buffalo.
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
          With Stewart, they ran everything real basic. Maddox had one good year under Mularkey. Then there was this year. I caught a couple of Steelers games this year and saw too many similarities between their offensive problems and ours. Because of that, I'm quite uneasy about Mularkey coming to Buffalo.
          Neither Maddox nor Stewart belong in the NFL as starting QB's IMO (and that seems to be/have been the opinion of most talent evaluators in the NFL).

The Steelers offense this year wasn't talented at all - beyond their receivers, I don't think they had anything. I think if you have no RB's (sorry Bettis' days are long over), mediocre to bad TE's, really good receivers, and a QB coming off a solid season - I think you have to go with an offense like they had. You play the hand that's dealt, and I think he's done a good job the last 3 years. There's only so much of an impact that playcalling can have - sooner or later you gotta have the players.

Their talent situation is completely different than ours - all their talent is at the positions that catch the ball whereas all of our offensive talent is set up around running the ball.

Comment

Working...
          X