PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' coordinator still candidate for Bills

The_Philster
01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
By Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
Mike Mularkey would like to be an NFL head coach one day. Apparently, though, the Pittsburgh Steelers' offensive coordinator doesn't want that first opportunity to come in Oakland.

Just a day after the Raiders were granted permission to interview him for their opening, Mularkey turned down the opportunity to audition for the job. He did not give reasons for his decision.

The Raiders would have joined Atlanta and Buffalo as teams to interview Mularkey in the last two weeks. Mularkey remains one of seven candidates for the Bills opening; Buffalo won't fill the job before Monday, and he is likely one of the top two or three on its wish list....

more (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1705760)

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Any guy that can have a good season with Kordell Stewart and another good season with Tommy Maddox has some credibility as far as I'm concerned.

socalfan
01-11-2004, 07:10 PM
And a good sense of judgement if they turn down an interview with the Raiders.

helmetguy
01-11-2004, 08:58 PM
With Stewart, they ran everything real basic. Maddox had one good year under Mularkey. Then there was this year. I caught a couple of Steelers games this year and saw too many similarities between their offensive problems and ours. Because of that, I'm quite uneasy about Mularkey coming to Buffalo.

HenryRules
01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
With Stewart, they ran everything real basic. Maddox had one good year under Mularkey. Then there was this year. I caught a couple of Steelers games this year and saw too many similarities between their offensive problems and ours. Because of that, I'm quite uneasy about Mularkey coming to Buffalo.

Neither Maddox nor Stewart belong in the NFL as starting QB's IMO (and that seems to be/have been the opinion of most talent evaluators in the NFL).

The Steelers offense this year wasn't talented at all - beyond their receivers, I don't think they had anything. I think if you have no RB's (sorry Bettis' days are long over), mediocre to bad TE's, really good receivers, and a QB coming off a solid season - I think you have to go with an offense like they had. You play the hand that's dealt, and I think he's done a good job the last 3 years. There's only so much of an impact that playcalling can have - sooner or later you gotta have the players.

Their talent situation is completely different than ours - all their talent is at the positions that catch the ball whereas all of our offensive talent is set up around running the ball.