PDA

View Full Version : Sporting New Radio Reports....

Michael82
01-12-2004, 11:25 AM
It was Mike Mularkey's agent that canceled the interview and the Raiders were told Mularkey is expected to be named the Bills HC as early as this afternoon.

The Spaz
01-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
It was Mike Mularkey's agent that canceled the interview and the Raiders were told Mularkey is expected to be named the Bills HC as early as this afternoon.

Interesting...indeed.

Michael82
01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Interesting...indeed.

Yup. VERY interesting.

clumping platelets
01-12-2004, 11:33 AM
:couch:

don137
01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Not sure how I feel about it if it is true. If the Bills hired anyone other than Weis or Ferentz (who wasn't even interviewed that we know of) I would be disappointed.
I am not saying Mularkey is a bad hire. I will wait before I judge Mularkey as a HC but I think fans are going to tough on him from the beginning because many feel this is a playoff caliber team and Mularkey is not their first choice as HC.
I rather have Mularkey over Fassel and Jauron though...

Tatonka
01-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by don137

same here.

Tatonka
01-12-2004, 12:12 PM
it really comes down to who his OC and DC are.

BADTHINGSMAN
01-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Id be suprised if Mularkey doesnt stick with Gray at DC.. Hopefully he can get a new OC.. Didnt Mularkey take over for Gilbride in Pittsburgh few years back??

juice
01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Any word or feeling of what will happen with Gray when LeBeau goes to pittsburg?

TypicalBill
01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
he does have a Mike Tice look without the pencil..

Dozerdog
01-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

Keep Lebeau- and the search for a decent OC begins.

Michael82
01-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by TypicalBill
he does have a Mike Tice look without the pencil..

:lol:

madness
01-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Keep Lebeau- and the search for a decent OC begins.

He's probably going back to Pittsburgh. It's like we are pulling off a coaching trade! LOL

JayWood
01-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I dont know what to think anymore....sucks that we cant wait for Weis. I guess if this is true we will just have to wait and see. I have managed al levels of baseball from state tournaments down to little league teams. I consider myself a very good manager and coach because i pick the right people to work around me. I know what my weaknesses are and create a staff that fills in the holes, so with that said I will wait and hold my comments on this guy until i see him in action, but lets hope he surrounds himself with bright minds

Novacane
01-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by don137

Ditto! At first the mention of his name made me mad because I thought it was just TD going back to his Pittsburg ties. After a little reseach he does not seem that bad and I will take him over a retread and give him a chance.

TypicalBill
01-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Ditto! At first the mention of his name made me mad because I thought it was just TD going back to his Pittsburg ties. After a little reseach he does not seem that bad and I will take him over a retread and give him a chance.

i agree, the more i read about him, the more im impressed.

Besides, he looks like a HC ... unlike GrEgg

ShadowHawk7
01-12-2004, 01:59 PM
ne links to his past history?

cordog
01-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Yeah i have to say the guy is growing on me. Last night I was out with a friend and we met one of his friends out. Well this guy was a very intelligent steeler fan (I know its an oxymoron) and we were talking football and i ask him about Mularkey. He was pretty high on him and said there O line was in complete shambles this year. He also said it was Cohwer's call to go to a more quick strike, pass oriented offense and Cohwer tried to bring in the personnell to be more pass oriented, but he didnt bring in the right personnell. (Riemersma, benching Bettis, which was Cohwer's call. Most of all he said Maddox is just not talented enough to run an offense like that, more suited for a power running offense.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by cordog
Most of all he said Maddox is just not talented enough to run an offense like that, more suited for a power running offense.
Sounds like a certain team we know...:rolleyes:

Tatonka
01-12-2004, 02:24 PM
well, we know that mularkey can run a power offense... he did it the year before last. and it was successful.. top 5 in the nfl in offense.

i will be ok with him i think. he does look the role of a head coach, not that it matters, but..

i can deal with him or weiss.. even seifert, really.. i just really know i dont want fassel or jauron.

Kelly The Dog
01-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Mularkey has already stated that he would bring Tom Clements in as OC, currently the Steelers QB coach I believe, but who has a good reputation around the league and I believe one of the guys the Bills looked at before they hired Gilbride. Mularkey also said that he would have Jim McNally of the Giants as his OL coach, the guy we wanted with Fassel as they are good friends and already spoke about the position. He also intimated from what I read that he would likely keep the defensive staff in tact.

I would imagine it would be his offense we would run and that he would call plays, a la Shanahan. Clements could serve as an assistant and QB coach for Drew if we keep him. I also think LeBeau stays and isnt offered the job in Pittsburgh.

Bert102176
01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't want him as the head coach but I heard the same thing on ESPN

venis2k1
01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
if he comes with jim mcnally, im all for it.

HenryRules
01-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Speaking of who he'd bring in ... I thought this was pretty funny:

I think the funniest little interview story I've heard in the last few days was this: Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was in the Bills' offices last Wednesday, interviewing with Donahoe. There was a TV on in the background. Donahoe asked about the coaching staff Mularkey might bring with him if he got the job. Mularkey mentioned Joe Bugel. A minute later, Mularkey looked up at the TV, saw the ESPN crawl on the bottom of the screen that noted the Redskins had hired Joe Gibbs, and he was bringing Bugel with him. Talk about sticking a fork in the old confidence level during a job interview

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/01/09/mmqb/index.html

The Spaz
01-12-2004, 05:38 PM
"The funniest little interview story"

That sounds quite professional!:rolleyes:

The_Philster
01-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I just wonder where this Sporting New Radio is based out of? :idunno:

CommissarSpartacus
01-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Mularkey has already stated that he would bring Tom Clements in as OC

Where did you hear this?

If this is true it's great news.

IMO, Tommy Clements is the only guy in the league with a chance to save Drew Bledsoe's career.

BTW, I'm sure if Tommy Clements comes here, he'll be calling his own plays.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Clements is under contract in Pittsburgh and they don't have to give permission for him to go elsewhere, unless it is a promotion to HC. He is the QB coach there and likely would be the next OC in Pittsburgh if Mularky is hired elsewhere.

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282

Didn't happen.

Originally posted by NE39
Clements is under contract in Pittsburgh and they don't have to give permission for him to go elsewhere, unless it is a promotion to HC. He is the QB coach there and likely would be the next OC in Pittsburgh if Mularky is hired elsewhere.

Isn't the move to Bills OC from the Steelers QB coach a promotion?? Why would this be considered a lateral move?

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Teams don't have to let assistants go if they are under contract, unless it is for a HC position. There is no rule that says they have to let them go if it is a promotion to a coordinators spot. It really is up to the descretion of the team.

For instance, Tampa Bay recently denied the Jets permission to interview DL coach Rod Marinelli for their DC position. There is nothing the Jets or Marinelli can do about it, because he is under contract for another season.

buffalofan72
01-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Teams don't have to let assistants go if they are under contract, unless it is for a HC position. There is no rule that says they have to let them go if it is a promotion to a coordinators spot. It really is up to the descretion of the team.

For instance, Tampa Bay recently denied the Jets permission to interview DL coach Rod Marinelli for their DC position. There is nothing the Jets or Marinelli can do about it, because he is under contract for another season.

They HAVE to let them go to a step up. last I knew OC is a step up from QB coach. I know you dont want to see it happen but watch. Besides OC in Pittsburgh will be the scapegoat next year like the DC was this year.

The Tampa Bay thing is new to me I'll have to check that out.

don137
01-13-2004, 12:39 PM
No, NE is right that the Bucs denied Marinelli to be interviewed for the DC job for the Jets and he is only the DL coach. It is a classless thing to do but apparently it is legit. I believe Indy wanted him last year and they said no then also.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
All assistants, including coordinators, are considered among the same level. They changed the rule that way a few years back because teams were using phony titles to make it look like a promotion in an effort to steal top assistants.

No team has to let an assistant under contract go for any position other than HC.