PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up!!!

Michael82
01-12-2004, 02:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1706296

New England took care of defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, rewarding him with a new three-year extension, since his contract was about to expire. Crennel will make about $1 million annually and that will tide him over nicely, if he doesn't land any of the head coach spots for which he has interviewed. His counterpart, Pats offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, seems to have moved into the top spot on the Buffalo wish list. That means the Bills may not have a new head coach until after the Super Bowl.

Jan Reimers
01-12-2004, 03:05 PM
By my count, Jauron and Mularkey have already been hired and Fassel is on his way. How many HCs do you suppose we'll end up with?

Michael82
01-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
By my count, Jauron and Mularkey have already been hired and Fassel is on his way. How many HCs do you suppose we'll end up with?

:lol: I don't know anyone. But this quote makes me wonder if there is behind the scenes stuff going on right now.

Not only did the Chicago Bears secretly interview University of California coach Jeff Tedford last week, and offer him the job after LSU's Nick Saban rebuffed them Saturday night, but the Atlanta Falcons also quietly met with him on the West Coast. For obvious reasons, like recruiting, Tedford didn't want word to leak of his NFL interviews. He was to have been at Halas Hall on Sunday night, according to the Bears plans, but elected to remain in his current job. The Falcons quietly interviewed former Minnesota Vikings coach Dennis Green before he took the Arizona Cardinals job.

Tatonka
01-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

rofl...

i dont think any of us will know until i get that little buzz on my cell phone.

The Spaz
01-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

rofl...

i dont think any of us will know until i get that little buzz on my cell phone.

Or until I get a pop-up from Buffalo Bills Direct!:up:

Earthquake Enyart
01-12-2004, 03:18 PM
The Bears also talked to Ralph Friezen of Maryland.

The only coaching search worse than the Bills is the Bears. :eek:

The Natrix
01-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Sounds more like he just hasn't been following the Bills situation closely enough rather than him saying that Weis has ovetook Mularkey as the leader.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2004, 03:26 PM
I also heard they're gonna bring back Wade Phillips. :couch:

Jan Reimers
01-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Isn't all of this more fun than that pesky regular season, when all of our hopes and dreams turn to crap?

Mr. Cynical
01-12-2004, 04:11 PM
I am willing to bet $1,000 that Mularkey WILL SUCK as a head coach and we will be looking for a new one three years from now.

AGAIN.

Sigh.

Tough being a Bills' fan, that's for sure. ;)

Tatonka
01-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kal123
I am willing to bet $1,000 that Mularkey WILL SUCK as a head coach and we will be looking for a new one three years from now.

AGAIN.

Sigh.
Tough being a Bills' fan, that's for sure. ;)

and your backing up this bet with what knowledge? just your "gut" feeling?

TigerJ
01-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Just maybe, they are telling the truth over at BuffaloBills.com. They are saying, the Bills will take a step back and the "holy trinity" Ralph Wilson, Tom Donahoe. and Tom Modrak will "step back and assess where they stand the next few days. They are "sitting down and talking about what they've heard" and "sharing their feelings on each of the seven candidates they have spoken to this past week." That's from an article posted last Friday. Here's the link if you don't happen to have read it already:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=223599

I suspect that each of these big shots have their own preferences, which may or may not agree. It may be that various underlings in talking to these guys have gotten impressions about who those preferences are for. That may be the source for some of these rumors and reports from guys like Len Pascarelli and others.

However, I think we need to remember that Tom Donahoe, like him or hate him, rightly or wrongly is all about the process. He believes that if you go about making decisions in a methodical orderly process, you'll make the right decision more often than not. He made the wrong one the last time around. That may have made him even more careful about following the process, and even tweaking the process to make it more deliberate and careful. Bottom line: We'll know when TD has decided they have followed through on the process and not before.

mchurchfie
01-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Bring Marv back..problem solved!!:up:

shelby
01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
TD is :angry:ing with our minds.
:snicker:

RedEyE
01-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by mchurchfie
Bring Marv back..problem solved!!:up:

I'm also begining to believe that Marv is the best, most reliable option out there. These other guys are risky misfits. Hire Marv and wait for Bellick to become available. That's my new line of advice.

Mr. Cynical
01-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

and your backing up this bet with what knowledge? just your "gut" feeling?

If bets were backed up by pure science, they wouldn't be called bets, now would they?

baalworship
01-12-2004, 06:01 PM
I think Tatonka means offer logical reasons why you don't like Mularkey.

I'll offer something that has scared me recently. Mularkey, when asked why the Pittsburgh offense got bad this year, said he needed to look at the game tapes from the entire year. I mean, he should have at least had some better ideas than that. A good coach should be constantly re-evaluating tactics and their effectiveness. I now am very scared to hire this guy as the HC. A Belichick or Parcells or Gibbs would never say, "I don't know."

Admittedly, there is something to be learned from a review of the year. But he should have had answers as the year was taking place.

The Spaz
01-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by baalworship

I'll offer something that has scared me recently. Mularkey, when asked why the Pittsburgh offense got bad this year, said he needed to look at the game tapes from the entire year. I mean, he should have at least had some better ideas than that. A good coach should be constantly re-evaluating tactics and their effectiveness. I now am very scared to hire this guy as the HC. A Belichick or Parcells or Gibbs would never say, "I don't know."

Admittedly, there is something to be learned from a review of the year. But he should have had answers as the year was taking place.

Can I get a link of that story seems interesting.

baalworship
01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
This is what I am referring to:

Mularkey Has No Answers (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_174016.html?tbds_174016.html)

Billsouth
01-12-2004, 06:29 PM
how about this for a reason why mularkey sux...HE IS A GILBRIDE DISCIPLE!!!

hell, why not just promote gilbride... he has hc experience

dates74
01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by baalworship

he stole that line from GW

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
The only coaching search worse than the Bills is the Bears. :eek:

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I also heard they're gonna bring back Wade Phillips. :couch:

Could you imaging WP in Chicago?? The city would implode.