PDA

View Full Version : Hire Marv now, seek Billick or a more suitable replacement later

RedEyE
01-12-2004, 05:55 PM
I'll be receiving an onslaught of criticism for these comments, but I'm just not sold on the current coaching candidates the Bills are deciding from.

Why is TD looking at a group of risky misfits to coach this team? Yes the credentials are there, but it's fortified with too much risk. I feel that this team is so close to obtaining some lofty goals, and I don't feel comfortable with any of these guys coming into Buffalo to acheive them. Weis is the only one giving me any kind of warm fuzzy feeling inside, and that isn't saying much.

I propose the Bills sign Marv Levy and wait on Billlick or a coaching equvialent. I'm not trying to live in the past here. Hiring Marv is hiring proven talent. His abilties could be used for 1 or two years while the Bills wait it out for a more suitable replacement.

Billick is my primary choice. He's been receiving an onslaught of criticism himself recently for the lack of a better PASSING offense. The Raven media and the fans are blinding themselves into believing that a power passing game is the way to win football games. In the meantime they're forgetting that they got into the playoffs again this season because of they're power running game. Billick is refusing to blame and/or release his OC. If the Ravens fail to get higher in the post season next year, Billick will feel some serious heat for his decisions.

Personally,I think the Ravens could have gone far if they had a small upgrade in the QB and WR position. (Perhaps they'll see that next year) Anyway, my point being is if Billick and Cavanaugh don't obtain a AFC championship in the next one to two years, I'm willing to bet they pound pavement.

Regardless, a coach of equal ability is bound to be looking for a job in the near future.

Sign Marv now.

saviorbledsoe
01-12-2004, 06:02 PM
MARVVVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!!!!

Devin
01-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Agreed in a post a week or two ago that was my thought sign Marv and bring someone in under him with the understanding he will take over when Marv retires, probably only 2 years 3 tops.

zone
01-12-2004, 06:45 PM
My feelings exactly

Jan Reimers
01-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Marv has forgotten too much about football - more than GW will ever know, for instance.

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I think Kornheiser was saying pretty much the same thing about hiring Levy on his radio show today (sorry, no link). There's a lot to be said for Levy, and the credibility he would bring with him. He has a winning record, is a Hall of Famer, and has not been so far out of the football loop, so to speak, as to not have a feel for current trends, players, etc. He's a classy guy, who communicates better than any coach I've ever seen, and tactful enough to be able to work well within the organization-and therefore no threat to the supposed "massive ego" of Tom Donahoe.

Gunzlingr
01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I like Marv, but think the Buffalo Bills Machine of 2004 should be powered by something other than fossill fuel (or Fassel for that matter). We need somebody with a hunger and drive to get us to the promised land, not some relic of a bygone era. It looks to me like Weis has that hunger, and the ability to turn trash into a smooth running machine.

Voltron
01-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Isn't Marv like 78 years old?!

I LOVE MARV! He was a great coach! The word in that sentence that should jump out at you is WAS

The Bills of the 90s did not succeed because Marv willed it to happen. He helped but lets face it the supporting cast was very very good. A lot better than what we have at this point that is for sure. This team needs more of a disciplinarian, which I can say for sure that Marv is not. He is a player’s coach. The 90s Bills had a lot more veteran leadership, more veteran players, and players that had played together for more than 1 year under the same system. While I think using some of Marv’s offense would be great I just don't think that Drew has the smarts to run a no huddle. Not that he is dumb he just is not good at making quick decisions and his reads take so long you’d think he was reading War and Peace!

Sorry but I say no to Marv. Let the past stay in the past and let Buffalo look to the future. If you live in the past you are bound to repeat yourself!