PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Asst. coaches?

LABillsFan
01-13-2004, 07:37 AM
With everything going on, why isn't someone interviewing the current Bills coaches to get their take on whats going on? I mean they can't be happy that their future is up in the air. Either they want to stay or want to go. Somebody hunt them down and ask them

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
With everything going on, why isn't someone interviewing the current Bills coaches to get their take on whats going on? I mean they can't be happy that their future is up in the air. Either they want to stay or want to go. Somebody hunt them down and ask them

Their future is as much "in the air" as the day they signed their contracts. If they are still under cotract, they are employed by the Bills

Whether they coach here , or spend the fall raking leaves in their yards, they are paid.

The team has allowed a number of them to interview with other teams (LeBeau with Pit, Gray and others with Washington) but that's just an interview. Even if those teams want them, they need to wait for the Bills to release them from their obligations- and that won't happen until we settle on our HC and see if the new guy wants to keep them or not

LABillsFan
01-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Still they have to have an opinion on what their status is. I'm sure they would give a vaery vanilla answer, but I would be interested in reading between the lines.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Still they have to have an opinion on what their status is. I'm sure they would give a vaery vanilla answer, but I would be interested in reading between the lines.

But the only opinion that counts is the new coach. TD didn't take a hand in hiring GW's coaches and he isn't going to take one in hiring the new guy's coaches. He might "suggest" someone, but it ends there.

If TD wanted to jettison anyone, they would be gone by now.

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Assistant coaches do not usually address the media on team matters. They usually leave that up to the HC. Since there isn't one yet, they just kick back quietly until their fates are determined.

LABillsFan
01-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Did you ever ask a question and get the right answer but wasn't satisfied with it?

Michael82
01-13-2004, 09:21 AM
Dozer, Jerry Gray has NEVER interviewed in Washington. He said he has ZERO interest in a job in Washington and is happy where he is.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

But the only opinion that counts is the new coach. TD didn't take a hand in hiring GW's coaches and he isn't going to take one in hiring the new guy's coaches. He might "suggest" someone, but it ends there.

If TD wanted to jettison anyone, they would be gone by now.

I disagree that TD didn't have a hand in GW's coaches.

I remember when GW was hired, one of the things that TD raved about was how he already had many lists/rankings of possible coaches for each position.

Now, obviously that doesn't mean that TD told GW who to hire. However, it does mean that TD basically approved of all of GW's first hires - and he's likely to do so with this coach as well.

One of the most important things a coach does is hire his staff ... I think it would be foolish and unreasonable for TD to not ask prospective coaches how they would fill out their staff and to not take that into consideration during the hiring process.