PDA

View Full Version : NFL Coaches Association, The Redskins, Dan Snyder, and GW can kiss my ***

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I heard on ESPN radio at the News break a number of times today that the NFL Coaches association is filing a grievence against the Bills- demanding they either release the assistants so they can sign with the Redskins or to commit to keeping them.

Well, excuse me- but they are under contract and committed to the Bills for as long as the contracts say so.... or until the Bills don't want them anymore. Dan Snyder and GW will just have to wait- WTF !!Are we conducting our team business to satisfy someone else's schedule?

SCREW OFF!!

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I agree Dozer it makes no sense if they are under contarct then WTF are they doing demanding anything?:mad:

lordofgun
01-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I HATE GW. :mad:

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Bills' Assistants in Limbo

By Nunyo Demasio
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 13, 2004; Page D02

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11483-2004Jan12.html

The Washington-based NFL Coaches Association has sent a letter to Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Commissioner Paul Tagliabue asking the club to immediately make a decision on the fate of the coaching staff of fired head coach Gregg Williams.

The letter's intent is for the Bills to either release the remaining staff members from their contracts or guarantee the coaches will be retained for next season.

The matter will have an impact on the makeup of Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs's new staff.

Williams, whom Gibbs named defensive coordinator shortly after his hiring by the Redskins, wants to hire most of his former staff. But they are in limbo because of the NFL rule that allows teams to block the movements of assistants under contract. Even if a head coach has been fired, the assistants he hired aren't necessarily free to leave.

Next time someone asks permission to talk to our people- they can shove it up their ***

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 03:01 PM
I heard the same thing, What BS! Those guys are under contract!

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Washington Based? Very impartial, now arent we?

MFers...:angry:

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 03:05 PM
The only thing I'm wondering is with Joe Gibbs back as HC then the NFL wants them to return to glory!?

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Too Frikkin bad...If I were TD I would come out publically and tell all of DC and the coaches association to stuff the paper down their throat.

ArcticWildMan
01-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Sounds like GW is a little bitter and wants to spite us by taking all the staff with him.

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Sounds like GW is a little bitter and wants to spite us by taking all the staff with him.

Tell him to take his raise and stuff his staff up his arse.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Redskins, We'll talk to you on February 2nd!

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan

Do coaches and GMs ever make decisions based on football anymore or is everythig have to be done out of spite/anger/ backstabbing/whatever?

It's a smart move to try and get a defensive coaching unit that did such a good job turning around the Bills woeful defense. I'm miffed because some outside entity with no business whatsoever in the matter is sticking their nose into our business.

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Do coaches and GMs ever make decisions based on football anymore or is everythig have to be done out of spite/anger/ backstabbing/whatever?

It's a smart move to try and get a defensive coaching unit that did sucha good job turning around the Bills woeful defense. I'm miffed because some outside entity with no business whatsoever in the matter is sticking their nose into our business.

Tells me even more that Weis is the guy...he corrects the offense and we keep the defensive staff we got.

Patrick76777
01-13-2004, 03:23 PM
If they have a leg to stand on, we really need a Colts win!

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2004, 03:23 PM
I wonder what the league policies are regarding this. Can't imagine the league would support the Skins if it's perfectly within the rules to not give in to their "demands".

kdharge
01-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Little Danny boy isnt going to raid us........We are not the JETS ............LOL

Bulldog
01-13-2004, 03:39 PM
I wish the Redskins organization nothing but the worst of luck in all of their future endeavors! Oh, and I almost forgot, a big F U to GW!

Earthquake Enyart
01-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Let the losers go for a fee. :snicker:

Maybe the Redskins should compensate us.

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 03:48 PM
If this is a grievance filed by the Coaches' Association, the league can't say diddly squat about it. It'll have to go to arbitration. If the 'Skins want to be ****ty, let 'em! We could hold out until the arbitration hearing comes up and THEN realease 'em. Or, we could just maintain status quo and make 'em wait until we attend to our own business.

lordofgun
01-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Let the losers go for a fee. :snicker:

Maybe the Redskins should compensate us.

Draft picks. :hungry:

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Oh yeah:hump::snicker::D

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Probably wouldn't hurt to throw in Coles in the deal. :couch:

Gunzlingr
01-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Where are the skins drafting this next year?? :hungry:

Ebenezer
01-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by kdharge
Little Danny boy isnt going to raid us........We are not the JETS ............LOL

That's probably why they hired GW at that stupid salary...they just wanted to raid our coaches thinking that they would all be free to walk.

dj7190
01-13-2004, 04:13 PM
BILLSREPORT.COM SAYS THEY MIGHT TALK WITH GEORGE SIEFERT. :fab:

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 04:22 PM
uh, DJ- we got the message. This isn't a Siefert thread.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Probably wouldn't hurt to throw in Coles in the deal. :couch:

:snicker: I like that way of thinking. Can you imagine Moulds, Coles, Reed, and Shaw as our top 4 wideouts? :drool:

justasportsfan
01-13-2004, 05:19 PM
TD's reply to GW: "Save your Stamp"

Kolbiss
01-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Can they make the bills do that?

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see them try-

"Your honor- I know these gentlemen are gainfully employed by the Bills- but we want them......Give them to us. or else..."

juice
01-13-2004, 05:44 PM
"skins dont have much to gain, just being Ball-Busters IMO

don137
01-13-2004, 05:47 PM
I also feel the Redskins should be involved in tampering involving Gray. I saw in an article they want to make him an "generous offer to be secondary coach." By saying they want to make him a generous offer gets the message out that he will be hired and is in for a nice raise and imply that he should ask to leave. I feel this is crossing the line on saying they will hire an ass't coach that is already under contract somewhere else....There is a difference between asking permission to interview someone and releasing that they will hire you with a generous contract...

zone
01-13-2004, 05:53 PM
everything is politics... everything. Can't we even escape it for a little while in our favorite past time damn.

Might as well be a politician. If you can't beat em join em.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 06:10 PM
There's a big difference between a letter and a grievance. So far I have only heard of them sending a letter.

I think we're being a bit unreasonable here.

Think about this in your own situation ... your company is going through turmoil, you may not have a job in a few weeks, there's plenty of openings out there, but you're not allowed to commit to taking one - even though you might be fired in a week or two. I think it's very reasonable for the coaches to ask for some sort of clarity on what's happening.

What the hell sort of jobs do you people have?? If you think employees should be treated as possessions, I really suggest you quit and look for something new.

don137
01-13-2004, 06:35 PM
It is different HR. When they signed the contract they knew how long they wil be getting paid for and knew the contract was guaranteed. No matter what these coaches will be getting paid for the life of the contract.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by don137
It is different HR. When they signed the contract they knew how long they wil be getting paid for and knew the contract was guaranteed. No matter what these coaches will be getting paid for the life of the contract.

I disagree with you - you seem to think the entire reason these guys coach is for the money ... some people do their job because they like it, not just because they get paid. I highly doubt that you can be a coach in the NFL if you are coaching purely for the money - so I think not coaching next year is probably not what they're looking forward to - regardless of whether they get paid or not.

It seems as though TD has talked to all the candidates he is going to talk to. It also seems that he has narrowed down his list to 3 coaches. If he has not discussed with them whether or not they will retain any of the existing coaches, TD should resign because that is the first and biggest decision the newly hired coach will make. If he can't at least tell the coaches where they stand now ... what the hell did he ask the candidates during their interviews?

don137
01-13-2004, 06:56 PM
One of the potential coaches TD can't talk to presently and was only able to talk to him for a couple hours a couple weeks ago. Why should TD get fired because he didn't cover every detail in a couple hours. Now I am sure he talked to the other available candidates that can talk but he does not have enough answers regarding Weis. Blame the NFL and its rules on not allowing teams to talk to coaches still in the playoffs but allow teams not in the playoffs to sign any available coach. It puts Buffalo is in a very hard position. Buffalo has to look out for there team and its coaching staff.

Please explain how you think the Bills can give clarity if they don't have clarity themselves? If they knew exactly everything that is going on don't you think they would of acted by now?

TheWingHead
01-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Who cares let them take our trash out for us.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by don137
One of the potential coaches TD can't talk to presently and was only able to talk to him for a couple hours a couple weeks ago. Why should TD get fired because he didn't cover every detail in a couple hours. Now I am sure he talked to the other available candidates that can talk but he does not have enough answers regarding Weis. Blame the NFL and its rules on not allowing teams to talk to coaches still in the playoffs but allow teams not in the playoffs to sign any available coach. It puts Buffalo is in a very hard position. Buffalo has to look out for there team and its coaching staff.

Please explain how you think the Bills can give clarity if they don't have clarity themselves? If they knew exactly everything that is going on don't you think they would of acted by now?

One guy out of 7 that they don't know what he'll do with the coaching staff.

TD has to have some sort of clue on how most of the coaches are thinking ... so he can at least give odds to these guys as to how likely they are to be retained. Instead, he hasn't said one word to them.

It's funny, but no other team in the NFL seems to have the problem on what to do with their coaching staff ... only the Bills.

don137
01-13-2004, 07:09 PM
That one guy looks to be a finalist for that position and he even said he will leave it up to the HC to decide.
The Bills had a high ranked defense last year. Usually when a coach is fired its because the team as a whole sucked. Well Buffalos defense was ranked second and with a little tweaking can be better by causing a few more turnovers. That is why they don't know what is going to happen with the coaches. If Weis wasn't a finalist it wouldn't be an issue. TD obviously respects Gray enough to interview him as a candidate for head coach...

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Fundamentally, the remaining coaches are UNDER CONTRACT!. If they want out of the contract, they just have to go to the GM and say so. Once that happens, then they are free to market themselves how ever they see fit.

As for other teams seemingly not having this kind of problem, it's real simple-the assistants usually get canned at the same time the HC did. Buffalo was a little unique in that GW lobbied for (and got) extensions for his assistants; figuring that, depending on how the season shook out, he too would get an extension. He gambled and lost. The new HC, whomever that may be, may or may not want some of the guys left from GW's staff. When that HC gets here, he'll make that decision. TD isn't going to make that decision for him. He did say, though, that if the new HC wants different personnel, he'll assist the current guys in their job searches.

If the 'Skins didn't get permission to talk to Gray or any other assistant, and made public statements about wanting a guy who is already under contract, that is tampering. The fact remains that, until Buffalo hires its HC, GW and Danny Snyder just have to sit tight. GW, especially, should be great at sitting tight; considering that, in three years as HC, he never could make a decision without lengthy deliberation.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
There's a big difference between a letter and a grievance. So far I have only heard of them sending a letter.

I think we're being a bit unreasonable here.

Think about this in your own situation ... your company is going through turmoil, you may not have a job in a few weeks, there's plenty of openings out there, but you're not allowed to commit to taking one - even though you might be fired in a week or two. I think it's very reasonable for the coaches to ask for some sort of clarity on what's happening.

What the hell sort of jobs do you people have?? If you think employees should be treated as possessions, I really suggest you quit and look for something new.

I disagree with you - you seem to think the entire reason these guys coach is for the money ... some people do their job because they like it, not just because they get paid. I highly doubt that you can be a coach in the NFL if you are coaching purely for the money - so I think not coaching next year is probably not what they're looking forward to - regardless of whether they get paid or not.

It seems as though TD has talked to all the candidates he is going to talk to. It also seems that he has narrowed down his list to 3 coaches. If he has not discussed with them whether or not they will retain any of the existing coaches, TD should resign because that is the first and biggest decision the newly hired coach will make. If he can't at least tell the coaches where they stand now ... what the hell did he ask the candidates during their interviews?

Oh please- these guys are coaches- they know exactly what time it is...... if they want stability get a job selling cars or something.

Coaches know it's a gypsie lifestyle, travelling from town to town, uncertanty.

They have a job. The Skins are just acting more impatient about our coaching situation than Mikey is.

Screw'em.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Fundamentally, the remaining coaches are UNDER CONTRACT!. If they want out of the contract, they just have to go to the GM and say so. Once that happens, then they are free to market themselves how ever they see fit.

Isn't that exactly what this letter from the coaching assocation is asking?? They are asking to either be retained for the final year (fulfill the contract) or to abandon the contract. What unreasonable SOB's.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Isn't that exactly what this letter from the coaching assocation is asking?? They are asking to either be retained for the final year (fulfill the contract) or to abandon the contract. What unreasonable SOB's.

If they are fired, aren't they gonna get money due them in 2004 if they don't work anywhere else anyway? :scratch:

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 08:06 PM
We will.

Just not on the Redskin's timetable. When we pick our coach, we will decide to retain or release them.

NFLCA- butt out!

zone
01-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh please- these guys are coaches- they know exactly what time it is...... if they want stability get a job selling cars or something.

Coaches know it's a gypsie lifestyle, travelling from town to town, uncertanty.

They have a job. The Skins are just acting more impatient about our coaching situation than Mikey is.

Screw'em.

You could have used something better than a car salesman to represent stability. :idea:

I think that might be one of the most unstable jobs out there ask Ihatethedolfins... :cheers:

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 08:10 PM

They're not asking, nor did I imply they were, for stability. They are asking for clarity. The two are entirely different and unrelated.

The coaches just want the Bills to make up their mind about them.

No one in this post has once suggested that we retain Gilbride. No one in the organization has had anything positive to say about Gilbride. TD has even hinted that Gilbride should have been ashamed based on last season. I'm pretty sure Donahoe has made up his mind to fire Gilbride. Why hasn't it happened yet?

If he at least made a decision like firing Gilbride, then he would have a creditable leg to stand on when he says that he's waiting for the next HC to decide. However, he's not doing that. He's treating his coaches like peons and not caring a whim about their livelihood. I don't think that's a good way to attract future coaches to the staff.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

If they are fired, aren't they gonna get money due them in 2004 if they don't work anywhere else anyway? :scratch:

First, some people enjoy their job and do it for some reasons other than money. Notice they have only asked to be released from their contracts - not to be bought out. Considering a union is making this request, I hardly think that's an oversight.

Second, yes, they are employed this year ... however, when was the last time a coach didn't get a two-year contract? They're missing out on a chance to get a contract for 2005.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Interesting observations from the outside.

I doubt they feel like peons, but who am I to say.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 08:14 PM
I doubt they feel like peons, but who am I to say.

Yes, I'm sure they feel like highly-valued employees and that's why they went to their union to ask for clarification.

helmetguy
01-13-2004, 09:00 PM
How is it that the Bills are being unreasonable SOBs? Again, if these assistants are hanging in limbo, it's their own faults. If the grass is greener somewhere else, then it is up to them to sever the tie, not the Bills. It is highly probable that, during the interview process, TD apprised the candiates of the contractural staus of these assistants. It is also likely that these candidates would want an opportunity to talk to these contractually bound assistants before making a decision on who to keep. TD is not going to cut these guys loose, simply because Dan Snyder, or Joe Gibbs, or Gregg Williams wants him to. When last I looked, none of those three hold any position within the Bills' organization. Therefore, they can just shut up and wait. The League in general, and the Buffalo Bills in particular, have no obligation to placate Danny Snyder, just because he's impatient.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
How is it that the Bills are being unreasonable SOBs?

Who said they were?

I (sarcastically) said that the coaches were being unreasonable SOBs.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Yes, I'm sure they feel like highly-valued employees and that's why they went to their union to ask for clarification.

Please provide a link to where the Bills coaches initiated this.

It was initiated by a WASHINGTON BASED organization and Dan Snyder.....

It's moot anyway- Mularkey has apparently phoned the assistants and will meet with them tomorrow.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
It's not even a union- no dues, no power, no bargaining chips.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Please provide a link to where the Bills coaches initiated this.

Find me something that says otherwise ... everything I've read is entirely vague about this topic.

I'm assuming the coaches initiated it, because it's their assocation, not the owners association. The coaches would have at least had to have had knowledge of this.

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I have a link to the article posted.

I can guarantee you that the Bills will not retain any coaches who do not want to be here. From all the articles I've read- Gray , LeBeau, and others have all made positive statements.

This argument getting beyond ridiculous- I'm done chasing my tail on it. It's moot anyways.

I'm not going to play defeatest on every friggin breath this organization makes.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Look ... I've put TD down a lot, but I did not mean to put him down on this. All I was saying is that I don't think it's out of line for the coaches to ask where they stand and that I think people are jumping the gun for blaming them. Then everyone started to interpret that as another instance of me jumping on TD. I didn't expect TD to have told the coaches where they stood already ... but once the request was made, I think that TD should have been able to respond (and now that we have a HC, it looks like they will).

I know that there are going to be misunderstandings and issues between management/employees ... I'm not expecting things to work perfectly. What matters is how things are handled once there are issues. If Mularkey and TD let the coaches know where they stand by the end of the week, everything is fine.

I still think blaming the coaches for making that request and taking an attitude along the lines of, "Well FLlCK you, you're under contract, so you'll know when I think you need to know." is causing an issue where there doesn't need to be one. And that's the stance I was taking issue with.