PDA

View Full Version : If it is Mularkey at HC...

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 06:04 PM
do you think Tom Clements will come with him?

This is the guy who made a pro-bowler out of Kordell Stewart and a leading passer out of Tommy Maddox. I seem to remember someone mentioning his name as a good replacement at OC the year Gilbride was hired. I think he'd be a good coach to bring in, regardless of either Bledsoe or a young QB being at the helm.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't know who he will bring with him. Although reports are that he will at least bring Jim McNally who was the offensive line coach for the Giants the last few seasons and concidered one of the best.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 06:11 PM
If he were to bring Clements, would he make him offensive coordinator? If so, who would we use as QB coach...I'm not a fan of having the offensive coordinator double as the QB coach. It's failed miserably the last few years we've done with...first with Henning-Collins and now with Gilbride-Bledsoe

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Grbac also had his best year under Clements in KC.

Would MM bring McNally in as OL Coach (since he is out of work and doesn't need a promotion to leave a team)? Or is he being considered for OC?

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 09:15 PM
Clements is under contract in Pittsburgh, and they would have to let him go for him to go to the Bills. Teams don't have to let assistants go to other teams unless the promotion is to HC.

Clements is the likely replacement for Mularkey in Pittsburgh.

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by NE39
Clements is under contract in Pittsburgh, and they would have to let him go for him to go to the Bills. Teams don't have to let assistants go to other teams unless the promotion is to HC.

Clements is the likely replacement for Mularkey in Pittsburgh.

If its a move upward for Clements, like it would be since he is moving from QB coach to OC, then the Bills can hire him if the Steelers give permission for us to interview him.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Correct, but the Steelers have to grant permission for him to leave. They can block the move if they wish to keep him.

The only reason I could see them letting him leave is if they play on elevating Russ Grimm (who is receiving HC consideration in Chicago) to OC, and they feel they don't want block Clements chance to be a coordinator. Otherwise, it makes sense for the Steelers to make him Mularkey's replacement.