01-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by woody2000
its on espn news on the bottom line

Also in the bottom right hand corner.

It says:

Clayton:Mularkey new Bills coach

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 08:30 PM
I can't believe this ****. This is worse then the Falcons hiring Jim Mora Jr.

I thought TD was gonna go after a coach with HC experience?

Romes
01-13-2004, 08:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1707870

here is the link

Romes
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Tom Clements the steelers QB coach is expected to be the OC and Lebeau the DC

SoCalBillsFan
wow

i thought i didn't care but i do! Why not weis? It better not just be for sake of time.

cordog
Who out there is worth bringing in with HC experience? Fassel who had a horrible interview? Jauron who couldnt get a decent OC in Chicago much like GW's struggles here? Id rather take a shot on some new blood.

Mr. Miyagi
I want to scream "THIS IS BS!!! :angry:" but I'll reserve judgement until later in the season.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 08:34 PM
WTF, this sucks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1707870

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Woody already posted this merge it with his thread he did it first.:beer:

Romes
01-13-2004, 08:37 PM
look at the bright side, atleast are coach doesn't have man boobs...and whether you like it or not Weis does have man boobs. :D

Brian Griese Rulz
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I want to scream "THIS IS BS!!! :angry:" but I'll reserve judgement until later in the season. \

I won't. THIS IS BULLSHlT.

The Spaz
I want to scream "THIS IS BS!!! :angry:" but I'll reserve judgement until later in the season.

Everyone needs to calm the **** down now!!!!:up::beer:

cordog
as much as i was against Mularkey becoming the next HC, this guy is already putting together a pretty good staff. Lebeau, Clement, and if he does bring in McNally thats a hell of a start to a coaching staff. Lets give this guy a chance.

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2004, 08:38 PM
Threads merged. :miyagi:

Is he at least going to bring in McNally??

Mr. Miyagi
01-13-2004, 08:39 PM
What happens to Gray? On to Washington I guess huh?

SoCalBillsFan
01-13-2004, 08:40 PM
I just hope this wasn't because we didnt want to wait for weis

juice
01-13-2004, 08:41 PM

And maybe Winfield. ACC Phillip Rivers

cordog
01-13-2004, 08:41 PM

Is he at least going to bring in McNally??

From what he said in the interview is yes, i guess they are good friends

Romes
01-13-2004, 08:42 PM
who is McNally?

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:43 PM

Or Texas...he was the leading candidate for the Texas job.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Romes
who is McNally?

OL Coach for the Giants

cordog
Heres a Bio on the new OC Clement....impressive

http://pittsburghsteelers.com/team/general.cfm?cont_id=50183

The Spaz
who is McNally?

McNally was the Giants offensive line coach and concidered one of the best at his position.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Frig this shlt.

Hire a offensive-cord. who's offense's have sucked. This is like Mora being hired in Atlanta who's 49ers defense's have sucked.

Only reason this guy was hired is because its the Pitts. connection thing.

Romes
01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
Clement isn't here yet...it just looks like Mularkey will bring him in.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

OL Coach for the Giants

Oh great. The Giants Oline was almost if not worse then the Bills O-Line this year.

I guess it won't be hard to teach them to suck.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Brian Griese Rulz
Frig this shlt.

Hire a offensive-cord. who's offense's have sucked. This is like Mora being hired in Atlanta who's 49ers defense's have sucked.

Only reason this guy was hired is because its the Pitts. connection thing.

Calm down dude don't go by one bad year his offense was in the top 10 both 2001 and 2002 with both Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress each having 1000 yards seasons under him to go along with that it was with Kordell stewart and Tommy Maddox as QB's...lol:)

Demon
01-13-2004, 08:47 PM
If the team starts off slow.......... we won't be seeing much sellouts. WTF is going on?? What has this guy done besides being Donahoe's buttbuddy from Pittsburgh to deserve to be head coach of the Bills???? Phillips....... Williams....... and still NO UPGRADE! Great job he did with Maddox, Ward and Burress! Way to go, we finally got a winner.........

The only positive that will come out of this is when Wilson fires Donahoe's ass.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM

Oh great. The Giants Oline was almost if not worse then the Bills O-Line this year.

I guess it won't be hard to teach them to suck.

In case you didn't notice or pay attention to them most of there o-line was made up of undrafted FA rookies or rookie because of injuries and I beleive Kaerry Collins was sacked less than Bledsoe.:up:

Brian Griese Rulz
At this point in his career Drew Bledsoe is worse then Stewart and Maddox.

cordog
C
Clement isn't here yet...it just looks like Mularkey will bring him in.

yep your right, my bad, i read it too quick, he is expected to offer him the job

don137
01-13-2004, 08:49 PM
People need to give Mularkey a chance. I think one thing TD realized was last time he waited so long he had crappy assistants and half of them got fired. He couldn't wait for Weis and end up with inferior coaching staff. Mularkey hopefully will bring in Mcnally and Clements to solidify the offense. It's crazy to cast judgement on him until he coaches.

The Spaz
Originally posted by Demon
If the team starts off slow.......... we won't be seeing much sellouts. WTF is going on?? What has this guy done besides being Donahoe's buttbuddy from Pittsburgh to deserve to be head coach of the Bills???? Phillips....... Williams....... and still NO UPGRADE! Great job he did with Maddox, Ward and Burress! Way to go, we finally got a winner.........

The only positive that will come out of this is when Wilson fires Donahoe's ass.

Do some research on Burress and Ward look under 2001 and 2002 seasons!:up:

Pride
This is nuts! We hire an OC who's team didnt even make the playoffs... and brings a QB coach that had something to do with the awful QB play in Pittsburgh.

Thats it, TD needs to stop it with this Pittsburgh crap!

Demon
Originally posted by The Spaz

Calm down dude don't go by one bad year his offense was in the top 10 both 2001 and 2002 with both Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress each having 1000 yards seasons under him to go along with that it was with Kordell stewart and Tommy Maddox as QB's...lol:)

Umm..... Ward and Burress had 1000 yard seasons because they were expected to. The problem is, Moulds is NO Ward and Reed is NOWHERE being to what Burress is......

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by don137
People need to give Mularkey a chance. I think one thing TD realized was last time he waited so long he had crappy assistant and half of them got fired. He couldn't wait for Weis and end up with inferior coaches. Mularkey hopefully will bring in Mcnally and Clements to solidify the offense. It's crazy to cast judgement on him until he coaches.
I'm thinking the same thing. :up: Wait until he screws up to blast him.

don137
01-13-2004, 08:50 PM

I beleive Kaerry Collins was sacked less than Bledsoe.:up:
Ray Charles would of been sacked less than Bledsoe....

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Umm..... Ward and Burress had 1000 yard seasons because they were expected to. The problem is, Moulds is NO Ward and Reed is NOWHERE being to what Burress is......

You're right. Moulds is a step above Ward.

Demon
01-13-2004, 08:52 PM
BTW, Empire Sports Network (Sabres post game show) is reporting Mullarkey will name Dick LeBeau as Defensive cordinator.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:52 PM

They don't get yards without a game plan. Come on Moulds is way better than Ward he was just hurt this year.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by don137

Ray Charles would of been sacked less than Bledsoe....

It's still an improvement...lol:)

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 08:54 PM
If the team starts off slow.......... we won't be seeing much sellouts. WTF is going on??

I agree.

TD is lucky the season is over and us fans will have months to cool down from such a BS hiring.

I'd rather have GW. At least he was considered a "Genus"

Demon
01-13-2004, 08:55 PM

Do some research on Burress and Ward look under 2001 and 2002 seasons!:up:

Mullarkey go to Pittsburgh in 2001? Or was he there before? And if you want me to look at those seasons, how about you look up the 2003 season........... and didn't Hines Ward even MOCK Mullarkey during the season???????????

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Pride
This is nuts! We hire an OC who's team didnt even make the playoffs... and brings a QB coach that had something to do with the awful QB play in Pittsburgh.

Thats it, TD needs to stop it with this Pittsburgh crap!

Hey I'm going to give him a chance. Didn't he make a Pro Bowler out of all people Kordell Stewart?

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 08:56 PM

Mullarkey go to Pittsburgh in 2001? Or was he there before? And if you want me to look at those seasons, how about you look up the 2003 season........... and didn't Hines Ward even MOCK Mullarkey during the season???????????

I don't know did he? Link?

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Mularkey was named offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh in 2001...after Gilbride was fired.

Demon
01-13-2004, 08:58 PM

I don't know did he? Link?

I don't have one but will look for one. I am not sure if he did or not, i do remember Hines Ward got really pissed during the season at lack of offense, and i thought he dissed the Off Cord but i'll look it up.

Brian Griese Rulz

Hey I'm going to give him a chance. Didn't he make a Pro Bowler out of all people Kordell Stewart?

Doug Flutie made the Pro-Bowl 1 year also. Did our OC get a head coaching job the next year?

All this move is is the Pittsburgh Connnection and nothing else.

Romes
So let me get this straight.

When a player like Ward or Burress does well then that is because they are supposed to BUT when a player or line (like for example NYG) does bad then that is the coaches fault.

This to me sounds like a double standard.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
I agree.

TD is lucky the season is over and us fans will have months to cool down from such a BS hiring.

I'd rather have GW. At least he was considered a "Genus"
If you mean Genus, what definition?
1.Biology. A taxonomic category ranking below a family and above a species and generally consisting of a group of species exhibiting similar characteristics. In taxonomic nomenclature the genus name is used, either alone or followed by a Latin adjective or epithet, to form the name of a species. See table at taxonomy.
2.Logic. A class of objects divided into subordinate species having certain common attributes.
3.A class, group, or kind with common attributes. :scratch:

If you meant genius, who thought he was a genius? He ran what Fisher told him to in Tennessee. I wonder how well he'll do in Washington

lordofgun
01-13-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm fully behind Mularkey intil he proves himself unworthy.

GO BILLS!

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:01 PM

When a player like Ward or Burress does well then that is because they are supposed to BUT when a player or line (like for example NYG) does bad then that is the coaches fault.

This to me sounds like a double standard.

Why not hire Gilbride as Head Coach??

He did awsome with Peerless Price, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 09:02 PM

I don't have one but will look for one. I am not sure if he did or not, i do remember Hines Ward got really pissed during the season at lack of offense, and i thought he dissed the Off Cord but i'll look it up.

You could be right. I just thought that Cowher was the one who wanted to utilize the passing game more this year and the results suffered. I am not riding Mularkeys jock I am just say give the guy a chance an dif he screws up I'll be on the hate bandwagon as well.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 09:02 PM

I'd have to agree with this logic. Some players would be star's regardless of coaching. And when their star doesn't shine it's gotta be the coaches fault because you can't fire the player.

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 09:03 PM
I can't say I'm all that excited, but come on. Mularkey did have a top offense 2 of the last three years. He and Clements made dumb and dumber (Maddox and Kordell) put up top QB numbers.) Clements also coached Grbac in his 1 great year in KC (the year that made the Ravens think he was worthy of huge $$ and a pink slip to a SB-winning QB).
McNally is considered one of the best OL coaches around and we most people on this board have given LeBeau the credit for the turn around on D this year.

To me, it appears that he's putting together a pretty good staff. A little bit up and coming, a little experience, and a little continuity.

I'm not excited, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Welcome to Buffalo Coach Mularkey.

The_Philster
01-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

GO BILLS!
Same here :up: :gobills:

Why not hire Gilbride as Head Coach?? :eek: He sucked in San Diego and proved this year he needs someone strong to oversee him...he's only done well as an offensive coordinator with a strong head coach.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
I can't say I'm all that excited, but come on. Mularkey did have a top offense 2 of the last three years. He and Clements made dumb and dumber (Maddox and Kordell) put up top QB numbers.) Clements also coached Grbac in his 1 great year in KC (the year that made the Ravens think he was worthy of huge $$ and a pink slip to a SB-winning QB).
McNally is considered one of the best OL coaches around and we most people on this board have given LeBeau the credit for the turn around on D this year.

To me, it appears that he's putting together a pretty good staff. A little bit up and coming, a little experience, and a little continuity.

I'm not excited, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Welcome to Buffalo Coach Mularkey.

Good post!:up:

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:05 PM

Why not hire Gilbride as Head Coach??

He did awsome with Peerless Price, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

If i remember correctly. We don't have Peerless any more, Henry didn't do that well, everyone was calling for him to get more carries and one of those people was Moulds. Who also struggled this year. So, KG had one good season...but even in that season people figured out the offense by the end of it.

Think about a question before you ask it.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I think Demon was being sarcastic with that Gilbride thing.

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:08 PM

If i remember correctly. We don't have Peerless any more, Henry didn't do that well, everyone was calling for him to get more carries and one of those people was Moulds. Who also struggled this year. So, KG had one good season...but even in that season people figured out the offense by the end of it.

Think about a question before you ask it.

That was my point. He did great when Maddox had a career year, when Zeroue played well and when Burress and Ward finally played to their potential..... news flash, we DONT have a Ward (even though people think Moulds is as good) and Reed is years apart from Burress. What did the Pittsburgh offense do this season??? And if Gilbride has sucked unless he had a strong head coach, then what did Mullkary do without Cower??

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:09 PM
I think Demon was being sarcastic with that Gilbride thing.

lol yeah i was.

baalworship
01-13-2004, 09:09 PM
The Bills picked the second best option in my ranking of the seven people they brought in. I am as scared as anyone about this Pittsburgh connection but it looks like we could have a very strong staff:

Dick Lebeau: DC Thank God! Later Gray

Jim McNally: OL Can you say Pro-Bowl, Williams and Jennings?!

I have no idea how this guy will be on gameday but he has much better upside than a Jauron or Fassel. We are a much better team already with this staff. Let's hope it's enough to take out Belichick.

Jeff1220
01-13-2004, 09:11 PM

Good post!:up:

Thanks.:bravo:

HenryRules
Originally posted by cordog
Heres a Bio on the new OC Clement....impressive

http://pittsburghsteelers.com/team/general.cfm?cont_id=50183

How have his offenses done?

It'd be impressive if he was coming in as QB coach ... but if he comes, he's coming as our OC and he's unproven in that category. He may turn out to be good, but his bio is not impressive for an OC.

The Spaz

That was my point. He did great when Maddox had a career year, when Zeroue played well and when Burress and Ward finally played to their potential..... news flash, we DONT have a Ward (even though people think Moulds is as good) and Reed is years apart from Burress. What did the Pittsburgh offense do this season??? And if Gilbride has sucked unless he had a strong head coach, then what did Mullkary do without Cower??

I'll take an offense who was in the top 10 2 of the last 3 years. I'm not saying it will happen this year but one bad year in my opinion doesn't make him a bad coach. Just give the guy a chance.

dj7190
01-13-2004, 09:12 PM
WE CAN TALK ABOUT THIS ONE ALL NITE BUT THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO BUT HOPE HE DOES THE RIGHT THING & PUT THE BILLS BACK INTO SUPERBOWL CONTENTION. :gobills:

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:18 PM

lol yeah i was.

Obviously...it would be the stupidest thing this team could do to hire Gilbride.

My point was that your sarcastic comment had nothing to do with Mularkey's potential. In my mind you can't compare the two. Gilbride obviously wore out his welcome. The last success Gilbride had was the first half of last season. Mularkey on the other hand has had recent success. Especially when he has implimented a power running game like he did in 2001 and 2002.

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

It'd be impressive if he was coming in as QB coach ... but if he comes, he's coming as our OC and he's unproven in that category. He may turn out to be good, but his bio is not impressive for an OC.

I guess one of my biggest problems is, since the NE loss i wanted Jim Fassel to be coach, and then i jumped on the Weis bandwagon and really liked his bio so i hoped to get him, and now we get a guy who led his team into nowhere. I'm disappointed, i'm a fan, i pay money for tickets and i pay money for jerseys just like everyone here, i think i can be a little disappointed because, i don't think it's the right move and i think he will fail. Will i just tune the Bills out and never see a game again? NO, i'll watch every game, go to games, get jerseys but i still think it's a mistake. We could have done MUCH better.

Another problem i have is, we've went thru 2 "project" head coaches in a row and both failed big time. So why not use more money and hire someone more expierenced then just get yet another "project" player.

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Could losing Price, O-line injuries, Henry hurt, Moulds hurt, Drew sucking, losing JR, have anything to do with Gilbride's offenses being bad?

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Could losing Price, O-line injuries, Henry hurt, Moulds hurt, Drew sucking, losing JR, have anything to do with Gilbride's offenses being bad?

He didn't adjust to all those things you mentioned. The Patriots had just as many injuries yet were able to put together a competitive game plan.

cordog
01-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by baalworship
The Bills picked the second best option in my ranking of the seven people they brought in. I am as scared as anyone about this Pittsburgh connection but it looks like we could have a very strong staff:

Dick Lebeau: DC Thank God! Later Gray

Jim McNally: OL Can you say Pro-Bowl, Williams and Jennings?!

I have no idea how this guy will be on gameday but he has much better upside than a Jauron or Fassel. We are a much better team already with this staff. Let's hope it's enough to take out Belichick.

He must be pretty good on gameday and at making adjustments to have an offense stay in the top 10 for 2 years. Yeah they had problems this year, but their line had problems and Bettis is old and Zeuroe isnt that good.

Of course his bio isnt impressive as an OC. HE'S NEVER BEEN AN OC! His Bio is pretty damn impressive as a QB Coach. I think the guy is deserving of a shot at OC. Plus I dont know how much say Mularkey had in bringing Clement to Pitt, but if he did have some input he's proven to bring in guys that can get the job done.

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:26 PM

He didn't adjust to all those things you mentioned. The Patriots had just as many injuries yet were able to put together a competitive game plan.

And what's Mularkey's excuse for sucking last season??

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Of course his bio isnt impressive as an OC. HE'S NEVER BEEN AN OC! His Bio is pretty damn impressive as a QB Coach. I think the guy is deserving of a shot at OC. Plus I dont know how much say Mularkey had in bringing Clement to Pitt, but if he did have some input he's proven to bring in guys that can get the job done.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said. yes, the guy is probably deserving of being an OC. But you said his bio was impressive. It only matters if his bio is impressive with respect to the position he is being offered - and as you said, "his bio isnt impressive as an OC".

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 09:28 PM

Of all the Patriot injuries I don't recall 1 of them being a 0-linemen,RB,QB.

And Tom Brady didn't suck all year long like Bledsoe did after week 2. If Tom Brady played the way Bledsoe has would the Patriots be in the AFC title game right now?

juice
01-13-2004, 09:29 PM

NE injuries were Defensive, still injuries though

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:32 PM

Yes.

But still if you are trying to compare Mularkey to KG it is a bad comparison.

Do any of those explain why we almost never ran the ball on third and short? Or why we always seemed to start passing once we got in the redzone? If Bledsoe is sucking then why not adjust the offensive philosophy make it easier for him? Henry still played great hurt. There is a difference between hurt and injured and players should be able to play hurt.

Anyway, my point is that coaches and players work together, its a reciprical relationship, better players cover the mistakes of worse coaches and visa-versa. We will find out during the season how much Mularkey had to do with the Steelers success on offense the past three years. Right now, no one has much to judge him on.

R. Rich
01-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not happy with the hiring, but I will support the new coach. Heck, maybe he'll surprise us all. Who knows?

BillsFever
01-13-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm not happy with this choice. The only thing we can do is hope for the best.

If Mularkey fails I will not blame him. It's not his fault if he sucks. The blame goes on TD this time.

Mularkey and Bledsoe means another losing season for us. I'm not dishing out $800 to support this crap.

All this was is another one of Donahoe's Pittsburgh connections that will kiss his ass. He's probably one of the select few coaches who were willing to keep Bledsoe. That's probably why he got hired over Weis. Weis didn't want Bledsoe 2 years ago. He sure the hell wouldn't want him now.

Excuse me while I go :puke:

cordog
Thank you for repeating exactly what I said. yes, the guy is probably deserving of being an OC. But you said his bio was impressive. It only matters if his bio is impressive with respect to the position he is being offered - and as you said, "his bio isnt impressive as an OC".

Work with me here. How can he have an impressive bio as an OC if hes never been an OC? With your logic, no one would ever get promoted in this league.

Romes

And what's Mularkey's excuse for sucking last season??

Cowher decided to change the offensive philosophy from power running to more of a west coast.

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:36 PM

Cowher decided to change the offensive philosophy from power running to more of a west coast.

That's what Pittsburgh did 2 years ago too???? So it was Cowher's decision???

Brian Griese Rulz
01-13-2004, 09:37 PM
LMAO, its Cowher's fault.

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 09:38 PM

Work with me here. How can he have an impressive bio as an OC if hes never been an OC? With your logic, no one would ever get promoted in this league.

You said he had an impressive bio. I said he didn't. You've now agreed with me. Thanks.

As to him not being worthy of being promoted. I think he most definitely is worthy of promotion. However, not to this team and not at this time. He's a rookie OC working for a rookie HC. I don't like that combination.

TigerJ
01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
I hope y'all don't mind if I don't join the lynch mob. It's just in my nature to be an optimist. I was hoping for Fassel among the pool of candidates who were interviewed. I liked Charlie Weis. Maybe the Patriots' playoff success was a factor in Buffalo going in a different direction.

Whatever what might have been, Mularkey is the man. I do like his demeanor. He seems to have a quiet easygoing confidence that I like. I like that he was able to take an offensive disaster (when Gilbride was OC in Pittsburgh) and come up with a productive scheme the following year. He is familiar with Gilbride's system and terminology, and I think he can probably alter and adjust the scheme (simplify it) without having to throw out everything and start from scratch. I like that he has won with the run and won with the pass both.

I like his intention to retain Dick LeBeau. LeBeau knows the system Buffalo ran last year. I don't know that he won't change anything, but I don't think there will be wholesale change which means there won't be a lot of adjustments and new things the players have to learn. I think with his connections with LeBeau dating back to his Cincinnati days, I think Tim Krumrie is likely to stay with the Bills. I think he was a very positive addition to the coaching staff, and it'll be great to retain him.

I like Mularkey's connections with McNally, recognized as one of the premier offensive line coaches in football. I think Clements is a pretty sharp dude and will be able to lift the Bills' offence well above where it perfomed this past season. Lastly, I'm just glad the Williams era is over.

BillsFever
01-13-2004, 09:39 PM
If it's Cowher's fault Mularkey sucked then I guess it was because of Cowher when Mularkey did good.

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:40 PM

That's what Pittsburgh did 2 years ago too???? So it was Cowher's decision???

From what I read. Is that Cowher had a lot of confidence in Maddox and decided to move towards more of a short passing game type offense THIS YEAR. That is why Bettis was benched in favor of a better pass catching RB. I don't remember what the Steelers supposedly did 2 years ago. I just remember reading in a recent article that much of the steelers offensive decline was due to a change in offensive philosophy due to a confidence in Maddox.

But maybe for clarification we should got to a steeler board and see what they say.

lordofgun
01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I hope y'all don't mind if I don't join the lynch mob. It's just in my nature to be an optimist. I was hoping for Fassel among the pool of candidates who were interviewed. I liked Charlie Weis. Maybe the Patriots' playoff success was a factor in Buffalo going in a different direction. Whatever the case, Mularkey is the man. I do like his demeanor. He seems to have a quiet easygoing confidence that I like. I like that he was able to take an offensive disaster (when Gilbride was OC in Pittsburgh) and come up with a productive scheme the following year. He is familiar with Gilbride's system and terminology, and I think he can probably alter and adjust the scheme (simplify it) without having to throw out everything and start from scratch. I like that he has won with the run and won with the pass both. I like his intention to retain Dick LeBeau. LeBeau knows the system Buffalo ran last year. I don't know that he won't change anything, but I don't think there will be wholesale change which means there won't be a lot of adjustments and new things the players have to learn. I like his connections with McNally, recognized as one of the premier offensive line coaches in football. I think Clements is a pretty sharp dude and will be able to lift the Bills' offence well above where it perfomed this past season. Lastly, I'm just glad the Williams era is over.

GREAT POST, Tiger!

HenryRules
01-13-2004, 09:41 PM
I like the Mularkey signing so far - from the little that I know about the process, he seemed to have the highest upside of the candidates (IMO).

However, I disagree with him bringing in Clements if that is the plan.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm just glad the Williams era is over.

A ****ing men!:party::beer:

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I hope y'all don't mind if I don't join the lynch mob. It's just in my nature to be an optimist. I was hoping for Fassel among the pool of candidates who were interviewed. I liked Charlie Weis. Maybe the Patriots' playoff success was a factor in Buffalo going in a different direction. Whatever the case, Mularkey is the man. I do like his demeanor. He seems to have a quiet easygoing confidence that I like. I like that he was able to take an offensive disaster (when Gilbride was OC in Pittsburgh) and come up with a productive scheme the following year. He is familiar with Gilbride's system and terminology, and I think he can probably alter and adjust the scheme (simplify it) without having to throw out everything and start from scratch. I like that he has won with the run and won with the pass both. I like his intention to retain Dick LeBeau. LeBeau knows the system Buffalo ran last year. I don't know that he won't change anything, but I don't think there will be wholesale change which means there won't be a lot of adjustments and new things the players have to learn. I like his connections with McNally, recognized as one of the premier offensive line coaches in football. I think Clements is a pretty sharp dude and will be able to lift the Bills' offence well above where it perfomed this past season. Lastly, I'm just glad the Williams era is over.

:bf1:

Even better- he has experience un undoing Gillbride's damage. His offense finished in the top 5 in 1991 and 1992 following the fat-ass. It featured a power attack and even made Kordell Stuart and Tommy Maddox look like NFL starting QBs.

I'm going to wait before abandoning the bandwagon in JANUARY

cordog
01-13-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't remember what the Steelers supposedly did 2 years ago. I just remember reading in a recent article that much of the steelers offensive decline was due to a change in offensive philosophy due to a confidence in Maddox.

2 years ago they ran the s*** out of the ball 56% of the time

Dozerdog
01-13-2004, 09:48 PM
2 seasons ago(2001) Kordell was supposed to be in the running for MVP. Now he's junk

Demon
01-13-2004, 09:51 PM
It's disappointing that 3 years ago we selected Williams ahead of John Fox and Marvin Lewis, and now 3 years later we select some bum ahead of Charlie Weis, in a few years we'll all be saying what could have been with Weis, while we're searching for yet another head coach.

Ickybaluky
01-13-2004, 09:56 PM

- Kenyatta Jones, projected to start at RT, was slow recovering from offseason surgery and PUP'ed. He was released after a bizarre off-field incident where he threw hot water on a guy.
- Stephen Neal, a promishing young guy projected to push Joe Andruzzi for a starting OG spot, injured his shoulder and was lost for the season.
- They lost starting OG/C Mike Compton for the season in week 2 to an ankle injury.
- They lost starting RT Adrian Klemm in week 3 to a knee injury.
- Damien Woody was injured in the opener and missed 2 games.

Basically, the middle of the OL was decimated, but they were able to overcome it because of the strong play of rookie 5th round pick C Dan Koppen and former PS player RT Tom Ashworth. Russ Hochstein has filled in at OG at times and played well, too.

At RB, Antowain Smith missed a couple games and Kevin Faulk missed one due to injuries. Starting FB Fred McCrary was lost for the season to a knee injury. FB Larry Centers was lost to a knee injury to the Giants, released, and brought back late in the season.

At QB Brady has been a stalwart, but has had to overcome a sore throwing shoulder due to separating it in the season finale last year. He also hurt his elbow badly in week 2, but he played through it. He was effected, though.

Also, the Pats lost a bunch of WR (David Patten to IR, Troy Brown missed 6 weeks, Deion Branch and David Givens have missed several games and Bethel Johnson missed 2. The Pats did not have the Same starting WR for 3 straight weeks the entire season, and were forced to start Dedrick Ward and J.J. Stokes one week, after picking them up off the street.

TE has been healthy (Dan Graham missed 1 game), but they had plenty of injuries on offense.

Romes
01-13-2004, 09:56 PM
It's disappointing that 3 years ago we selected Williams ahead of John Fox and Marvin Lewis

I think everyone can agree here.

now 3 years later we select some bum ahead of Charlie Weis, in a few years we'll all be saying what could have been with Weis, while we're searching for yet another head coach.

OK, you made your prediction but it could easily turn out the other way too.

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by NE39

- Kenyatta Jones, projected to start at RT, was slow recovering from offseason surgery and PUP'ed. He was released after a bizarre off-field incident where he threw hot water on a guy.
- Stephen Neal, a promishing young guy projected to push Joe Andruzzi for a starting OG spot, injured his shoulder and was lost for the season.
- They lost starting OG/C Mike Compton for the season in week 2 to an ankle injury.

Basically, the middle of the OL was decimated, but they were able to overcome it because of the strong play of rookie 5th round pick C Dan Koppen and former PS player RT Tom Ashworth. Russ Hochstein has filled in at OG at times and played well, too.

At RB, Antowain Smith missed a couple games and Kevin Faulk missed one due to injuries. Starting FB Fred McCrary was lost for the season to a knee injury. FB Larry Centers was lost to a knee injury to the Giants, released, and brought back late in the season.

At QB Brady has been a stalwart, but has had to overcome a sore throwing shoulder due to separating it in the season finale last year. He also hurt his elbow badly in week 2, but he played through it. He was effected, though.

Also, the Pats lost a bunch of WR (David Patten to IR, Troy Brown missed 6 weeks, Deion Branch and David Givens have missed several games and Bethel Johnson missed 2. The Pats did not have the Same starting WR for 3 straight weeks the entire season, and were forced to start Dedrick Ward and J.J. Stokes one week, after picking them up off the street.

TE has been healthy (Dan Graham missed 1 game), but they had plenty of injuries on offense.

I knew it!:snicker:

ryguy8161
01-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by NE39

Pat fans ARE good for something....

jk:up:

Halbert
01-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Let's look at this from a minimalist perspective.

At a minimum:

- The defense should be top 5. LeBeau will provide the continuity that will allow the unit to immediately play at a high level.

- The offensive line should show dramatic improvement. If Malarky indeed hires McNally then the Bills will be replacing a first-time OL coach for one of the very best OL coaches in the league. Considering the attention that TD is expected to pay toward rebuilding the OL over the offseason, it is entirely reasonable to expect very solid performance from that unit.

- The offense in general will be greatly improved. Considering the pathetic play of this unit for most of last season, an improvement isn’t all that tough. But with LeBeau perfectly capable of running the defense all by himself, Malarky and company can focus on offensive game planning. Leveraging what should be the best RB tandem in the league and a strong armed veteran QB behind a suddenly effective pass blocking line … well, excuse me for being optimistic.

These three things alone should result in a team that is immediately very competitive. The only question is whether Malarky can provide the leadership necessary for an effective head coach who can move the team past competitive and into elite status.

You know damn well that TD has been thinking about this hire a looooooong time. Given his high percentage of good decisions in the past, I’m more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that Malarky can do the things he needs to do to put the team over the top and into the playoffs.

I have to admit that I’m skeptical whether Malarky can make the adjustment to HC fast enough to make the Bills serious SB contenders his first season. But considering the relative ease it appears it will be to field solid units on both sides of the ball, perhaps the veteran leadership of LeBeau and Donahoe will fill in the gaps and put the Bills in the position for a deep playoff run. All in all not a bad picture.

In any event, the Bills are almost certainly much better off than they were under Williams and Gilbride, and probably as good as they would have been under someone like Fassel or Jauron.

kardshark19
01-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Mularkey was not one of my top choices for head coach, and it seemed that everyone I wanted was slowly dropping from the list of available coaches. But now we have Mularkey, and he is trying to put together a good core staff.

Sounds like a good start, and maybe he can clear up all this mess from when the **** hit the fan. I am just hoping for the best, and praying that our team can get atop the AFC East again. Greg Williams and KG suck at offensive game-planning, and Mularkey has done good things in Pittsburgh. One bad year does not a bad coach make, and I am willing to look past Pittsburgh's far from good offensive year. When they went back to the Bus after realizing that Zeroue (sp?) was not a starter in this league, their offense showed some improvement, and they ran the ball more. Hopefully with Henry, and McGahee, he will run the ball more than pass in Buffalo.

Now there is no point in complaining about this in my opinion. But I just hope that TD doesn't pick the best available player in the draft this year, but instead picks the best available player for our team.

GO BILLS!

madness
01-13-2004, 11:01 PM

From what I read. Is that Cowher had a lot of confidence in Maddox and decided to move towards more of a short passing game type offense THIS YEAR. That is why Bettis was benched in favor of a better pass catching RB. I don't remember what the Steelers supposedly did 2 years ago. I just remember reading in a recent article that much of the steelers offensive decline was due to a change in offensive philosophy due to a confidence in Maddox.

But maybe for clarification we should got to a steeler board and see what they say.

Yes, I heard too that it was the coaches decision and you can't argue with the facts from the years before.

"Mularkey’s innovation has helped develop the Steelers into an efficient and often dynamic offense that has become the talk of the NFL.
The Steelers offense has been ranked in the top five in total offense the past two years.

In 2002, the Steelers improved to seventh in the NFL in passing offense compared to 21st the previous season, while maintaing their Top 10 ranking in rushing. The Steelers offense produced two 1,000-yard receivers in Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress for the second consecutive season and for the first time in Steelers’ history."

Don't mind the whiners, welcome to the team Coach!

Tatonka
01-13-2004, 11:02 PM

At least he was considered a "Genus"

that is hilarious.. :lol:

Tatonka
01-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BillsFever

If Mularkey fails I will not blame him. It's not his fault if he sucks. The blame goes on TD this time.

Mularkey and Bledsoe means another losing season for us. I'm not dishing out $800 to support this crap.

All this was is another one of Donahoe's Pittsburgh connections that will kiss his ass. He's probably one of the select few coaches who were willing to keep Bledsoe. That's probably why he got hired over Weis. Weis didn't want Bledsoe 2 years ago. He sure the hell wouldn't want him now.

what is all this pittsburg connection crap you are referring too? explain who you mean?

The Spaz
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

what is all this pittsburg connection crap you are referring too? explain who you mean?

Preach it!:up:

jchild178
01-13-2004, 11:58 PM
im getting the same sh$% from my brother-in-law...he says its just a pittsburgh thing...hes saying TD and Mularkey are buddy's and thats why he was hired

The Spaz
01-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by jchild178
im getting the same sh$% from my brother-in-law...he says its just a pittsburgh thing...hes saying TD and Mularkey are buddy's and thats why he was hired

Oh well you know better, right?!:beer:

Dozerdog
01-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jchild178

Then why bother with all those other interviews? Not all of them were to satisfy the NFL's rules on diversity.

Why not get Mularkey last week if it was a "Pittsburgh Thing"

Come on people, give me football reasons why this is bad- not "Control Freak" nonsense without a shred of evidence to back it up.

jchild178
01-14-2004, 12:10 AM
damn straight dozerdog!

SoCalBillsFan
01-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Dozer is right. If Mularkey was really the first choice, I dont see why he wouldn't have been named a week ago.

That being said, Mularkey is the guy, and I'm gonna support him for now. I'm a skeptic, but good coaches all have bad seasons and all come from somewhere.

indianabillsfan
01-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Are we to believe that Donahoe's hiring of LeBeau and Gilbride had nothing to due with the fact that they both worked with Donahoe in Pittsburgh? I'm not saying that hiring LeBeau was a bad decision, and as it turns out hiring Gilbride did not work out. I just thought I would throw out a few examples for those who were asking for them.

sabreshockey096
01-14-2004, 09:00 AM
I AM NOT A FAN OF UNPROVEN OC'S AS HEAD COACHES **** YOU DONAHOE! AND **** YOUR PITTSBURGH CONNECTIONS D-BAG.

MULARKEY SUCKS UNTIL HE GETS THE BILLS TO THE PLAYOFFS

Michael82
01-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

EXACTLY! The only Pittsburgh connections on our team are Dick LeBeau (look at how much he improved our defense), and also one of the most sought after assistant GM's in the league....Tom Modrak.

indianabillsfan
01-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Again:
Kevin Gilbride-Pittsburgh Off. Coordinator under Donahoe

Also:
Bobby Shaw-WR drafted by Donahoe in Pittsburgh

Again, I'm not saying that all of the Pittsburgh connections are bad, but at least one (Gilbride) has not worked out. I just think that the offense's lack of production this year under Gilbride, and the team's lack of success in general during Donahoe's time in Buffalo, has soured fans' perceptions of Donahoe's Pittsburgh connections.

As for Mularkey, I'm not going to automatically assume he will not be successful because he is one of Donahoe's Pittsburgh connections or because he has no head coaching experience. Some of the best coaches today were coordinators that did not have any HC experience that teams gave an opportunity to and they have turned their teams around (John Fox, Andy Reid, Jeff Fisher, Marvin Lewis, Brian Billick). I'm not going to prejudge Mularkey, I'm just going to hope for the best and root like hell !

indianabillsfan
01-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Oh yeah, part of "hoping for the best" means that I hope Mularkey puts his connection/friendship with Gilbride aside and does what is best for the team ... fire Gilbride and bring in somebody else ... PLEASE !

doug45
01-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever

Good post, but is not just a Pittsburgh thing but money. This was the last choice when the rest would not go for the money.

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by doug45

Good post, but is not just a Pittsburgh thing but money. This was the last choice when the rest would not go for the money.

Mike Mularkeys contract is for 5 years 1.5 million dollars per year. I would say that's pretty good for a first time head coach. Wouldn't you think?

doug45
01-15-2004, 07:34 AM

Mike Mularkeys contract is for 5 years 1.5 million dollars per year. I would say that's pretty good for a first time head coach. Wouldn't you think?

But not enough to get a experienced HC.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-28-2004, 02:00 PM
just stumbled across this old post....I would venture to guess that most fans opinions have changed on this subject....

cordog
12-28-2004, 02:33 PM
damn, this guy is pretty smart.

He must be pretty good on gameday and at making adjustments to have an offense stay in the top 10 for 2 years. Yeah they had problems this year, but their line had problems and Bettis is old and Zeuroe isnt that good.

TedMock
12-28-2004, 02:49 PM
good stuff. Oh yeah, for everybody asking why Pittsburgh's offense was so bad last year; the starting o-line didn't play together until December. Look at what a difference that's making for them this season. They were ranked #2 and #3 overall in 2001 and 2002. The o-line was decimated in 2003, and the offense wasn't nearly as good....imagine that! Funny enough, they went back to the "run-first" mentality that Mularky sold, and now have a healthy o-line. Look at the results. I'm very impressed that he was able to right a sinking ship in Buffalo. These guys were getting use to losing, and things started out pretty poorly this year. Somehow, he was able to keep everybody on board. Boy, did we get lucky with this guy.

justasportsfan
12-28-2004, 02:53 PM
let's not make any judgements yet. Under Wade , we made wild card and then playoffs and yet we ran him out of town.

Dozerdog
12-28-2004, 03:03 PM
good stuff. Oh yeah, for everybody asking why Pittsburgh's offense was so bad last year; the starting o-line didn't play together until December. Look at what a difference that's making for them this season. They were ranked #2 and #3 overall in 2001 and 2002. The o-line was decimated in 2003, and the offense wasn't nearly as good....imagine that! Funny enough, they went back to the "run-first" mentality that Mularky sold, and now have a healthy o-line. Look at the results. I'm very impressed that he was able to right a sinking ship in Buffalo. These guys were getting use to losing, and things started out pretty poorly this year. Somehow, he was able to keep everybody on board. Boy, did we get lucky with this guy.
Who says it's luck?

Maybe TD knew what he was doing.....again.

TigerJ
12-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I hope y'all don't mind if I don't join the lynch mob. It's just in my nature to be an optimist. I was hoping for Fassel among the pool of candidates who were interviewed. I liked Charlie Weis. Maybe the Patriots' playoff success was a factor in Buffalo going in a different direction.

Whatever what might have been, Mularkey is the man. I do like his demeanor. He seems to have a quiet easygoing confidence that I like. I like that he was able to take an offensive disaster (when Gilbride was OC in Pittsburgh) and come up with a productive scheme the following year. He is familiar with Gilbride's system and terminology, and I think he can probably alter and adjust the scheme (simplify it) without having to throw out everything and start from scratch. I like that he has won with the run and won with the pass both.

I like his intention to retain Dick LeBeau. LeBeau knows the system Buffalo ran last year. I don't know that he won't change anything, but I don't think there will be wholesale change which means there won't be a lot of adjustments and new things the players have to learn. I think with his connections with LeBeau dating back to his Cincinnati days, I think Tim Krumrie is likely to stay with the Bills. I think he was a very positive addition to the coaching staff, and it'll be great to retain him.

I like Mularkey's connections with McNally, recognized as one of the premier offensive line coaches in football. I think Clements is a pretty sharp dude and will be able to lift the Bills' offence well above where it perfomed this past season. Lastly, I'm just glad the Williams era is over.

Mularkey wasn't able to keep Dick LeBeau, of course, but otherwise I think I took a pretty good approach to the Mularkey hiring.

SoCalBillsFan
12-28-2004, 04:17 PM
I said I was disapointed we didn't get weis. I still sort of am, but mularkey has done well so far. TIme will tell, but I'm happy with this season.

Tatonka
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
tiger said it best.. as usual..

and i had MM's back since the beginning too..

so f the people that tell me to go root for another team! :D

Dozerdog
12-28-2004, 04:36 PM
let's not make any judgements yet. Under Wade , we made wild card and then playoffs and yet we ran him out of town.
Just like Wade- MM was handed a very talented roster.

The Big difference is the roster isn't mortgaged to the hilt under the cap. Wade went from hero to zero when we had to cut players to make the cap work.

MM won't have that handicap.

SoCalBillsFan
12-28-2004, 05:59 PM
I always thought wade was a pretty good coach. We certainly went to the playoffs under him, and his defenses were great. He's still a great DC.

Nighthawk
12-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Hindsight is 50/50...stop patting yourselves on the back and enjoy what is going on right now. :loser:

Asimov
12-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Major difference between Wade and Mularkey...

At 0-4, or 1-5, Wade would have told the press and his troops that we were already out of the playoffs.

lordofgun
12-28-2004, 06:16 PM

GO BILLS!
Here's a level-headed quote for you. :up:

SoCalBillsFan
12-28-2004, 06:47 PM
gee, that was really going out on a limb, log...:D

lordofgun
12-28-2004, 06:48 PM
gee, that was really going out on a limb, log...:D
I was right and you were wrong...admit it. :D

SoCalBillsFan
12-28-2004, 07:05 PM
uh, ok...you were right that you support mularkey until he proves himself otherwise...:D

but I wasn't wrong that I was hoping for weis. Still wonder what would have happened. But I do like mularkey though!

lordofgun
12-28-2004, 07:42 PM
uh, ok...you were right that you support mularkey until he proves himself otherwise...:D

but I wasn't wrong that I was hoping for weis. Still wonder what would have happened. But I do like mularkey though!
I'll admit I also preferred Weis. I still think it's too early to judge Mularkey even though I like what I'm seeing.

Ingtar33
12-28-2004, 08:34 PM
well, I didn't post in this thread the first time but I recall being ambivalent at best over the hiring.

I enjoy being wrong.

Mr. Cynical
12-28-2004, 10:51 PM
While I like what I'm seeing so far, I'm not ready to anoint him Bill Walsh just yet. Let's see how things play out this year and next year. At that point there will be enough on the table to judge IMO.

TheBrownBear
12-28-2004, 11:07 PM
While I like what I'm seeing so far, I'm not ready to anoint him Bill Walsh just yet. Let's see how things play out this year and next year. At that point there will be enough on the table to judge IMO.
I totally agree.:up:

I will be a Mularkey believer when he coaches a Bledsoe-led team to a victory over an elite/very good team. And no, Pittsburgh does not count as an elite team if half of their players are sitting out.

SoCalBillsFan
12-29-2004, 03:17 AM
I totally agree.:up:

I will be a Mularkey believer when he coaches a Bledsoe-led team to a victory over an elite/very good team. And no, Pittsburgh does not count as an elite team if half of their players are sitting out.

is thebrownbear speaking in the first person?!? :shocked:

it's supposed to be "thebrownbear totally agrees..cmon, you're slipping!
:D