PDA

View Full Version : I Like This Quote

Schobel94
01-14-2004, 07:14 AM
One key factor that was in Mularkey's favor in Buffalo is that he will hire well-respected former Giants offensive line coach Jim McNally to his Bills staff. With Buffalo's offensive problems stemming from its failure to protect Bledsoe this season, McNally's reputation for cobbling together a quality offensive line was deemed very attractive.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/01/13/mularkey.bills/index.html

Yay!

Jan Reimers
01-14-2004, 07:33 AM
The hiring of McNally and a competent OC would make my day.

doug45
01-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Schobel94
One key factor that was in Mularkey's favor in Buffalo is that he will hire well-respected former Giants offensive line coach Jim McNally to his Bills staff. With Buffalo's offensive problems stemming from its failure to protect Bledsoe this season, McNally's reputation for cobbling together a quality offensive line was deemed very attractive.

A guy like this may help but Bledsoe is as much of the problem as anything else. He can not move and a good QB has too in this day and age.

NC-BILLS44
01-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Didn't Mularkey run a version of the KG offense in Pittsburgh? Is there any chance that Gilbride will stay? I hope not!!!!!

TigerJ
01-14-2004, 08:37 AM
After Gilbride was fired Mularky was left to fix the mess. I think Mularkey kept the terminology, which makes sense because that's what the players knew, and cut down greatly on the number of reads that had to be made. The number of reads IMHO is the fatal flaw in Gilbride's system. Kordell Stewart couldn't handle it. Drew Bledsoe couldn't make them fast enough, and receivers and QB often don't make the same read on a given play. When that happens the receiver will go one way and the ball will end up somewhere else. That happened a lot with the Bills this year. I look at Mularkey's past connection with Gilbride as a positive because he is well suited to fixing Gilbride's mess, yet he won't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

R. Rich
01-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

We'll see. I just hope the staff they hire is more experienced than what Williams brought here.