Pittsburgh led the LEAGUE in rushing during Mularkey's FIRST YEAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Pittsburgh led the LEAGUE in rushing during Mularkey's FIRST YEAR!

Putting the natural skepticism aside, there's a lot to like about Mularkey. He did some laudable things in his three years as the Steelers' offensive coordinator. In his first season, Pittsburgh led the NFL in rushing and reached the AFC title game. Mularkey got Kordell Stewart to play the best football of his career.

In his second season, however briefly, he turned Tommy Maddox into a star. Mularkey got 1,300-yard receiving seasons out of Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress. The Steelers came within an eyelash of reaching the AFC title game again, scoring 31 points at Tennessee in an OT loss.

So the man knows how to run an offense.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

There's a stat for all of you that think he's going to be another Gilbride.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I like his use of the running game, but the truly incredible part is that he got decent seasons from both Stewart and Maddox.

In either case, that's like teaching a pig to sing.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        I like his use of the running game, but the truly incredible part is that he got decent seasons from both Stewart and Maddox.

In either case, that's like teaching a pig to sing.
        I know! It makes me wonder what he can do with Bledsoe.

Comment

• cordog
          eat, drink, and be merry
          • Apr 2003

He ran the ball 57% of the time that first year in Pitt. Thats pretty incredible. It goes to show when Bettis was producing he was getting a lot of carries. He was injured for quite a few games that year and they still ran with Fumatu MaFala

Comment

Working...
          X