PDA

View Full Version : Now The Fun Begins: Hiring The Staff!

R. Rich
01-14-2004, 09:02 AM
These moves are what will be the key, as we so painfully found out with Gregg Williams. Hopefully, Mularkey will do a better job of putting together a staff and the Bills will improve on offense.

TigerJ
01-14-2004, 09:26 AM
I think the beginnings of a staff are already close to being in place:

OC-Tom Clements, currently QB coach of the Steelers, considered a bright offensive mind and with a record of making QBs with questionable talent productive; Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox. Once recommended by Joe Montana to be head coach at Notre Dame.

DC-Dick LeBeau, you know where he was the past season. He knows the Bills current defence and he's one of the most respected minds in football.

Offensive Line - McNally I don't even know his first name, but he is one of the most respected offensive line coaches in football. He was with the Giants. The Giants didn't have a good O-line this past season, but McNally had nothing to work with, young players who were either low round draft choices or free agents. They had a whole slew of injuries.

Defensive Line - I don't think there is any reason Tim Krumrie won't be retained. He was with LeBeau in Cincinnati. He is very good in technique. Under him Buffalo had great production from three of their four starting linemen. Sam Adams had his best year in some time, Pat Williams had his best year ever. So did Schobel who had double digit sacks. Ryan Denney-well he seemed not to have come back yet from his missionary stint for the Mormons.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were another couple holdovers. Maybe Don Blackmon - linebackers, Rusty Jones-strength and conditioning , ? I know that still leaves a good number of hirings, but to me it looks like a great start.

Devin
01-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I really hope they retain most the defensive staff. Things dont need to be shaken up.

R. Rich
01-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think the beginnings of a staff are already close to being in place:

OC-Tom Clements, currently QB coach of the Steelers, considered a bright offensive mind and with a record of making QBs with questionable talent productive; Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox. Once recommended by Joe Montana to be head coach at Notre Dame.

DC-Dick LeBeau, you know where he was the past season. He knows the Bills current defence and he's one of the most respected minds in football.

Offensive Line - McNally I don't even know his first name, but he is one of the most respected offensive line coaches in football. He was with the Giants. The Giants didn't have a good O-line this past season, but McNally had nothing to work with, young players who were either low round draft choices or free agents. They had a whole slew of injuries.

Defensive Line - I don't think there is any reason Tim Krumrie won't be retained. He was with LeBeau in Cincinnati. He is very good in technique. Under him Buffalo had great production from three of their four starting linemen. Sam Adams had his best year in some time, Pat Williams had his best year ever. So did Schobel who had double digit sacks. Ryan Denney-well he seemed not to have come back yet from his missionary stint for the Mormons.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were another couple holdovers. Maybe Don Blackmon - linebackers, Rusty Jones-strength and conditioning , ? I know that still leaves a good number of hirings, but to me it looks like a great start.

I guess the personnel moves they make (free agency, draft, roster cuts) will give us an indication of what to expect.

SamAdamsFan
01-14-2004, 03:53 PM
I feel bad for Jerry Gray, he led the 2nd best defense last year and he probably will not be asked to return. His first two years weren't great but he didn't have a lot of talent to work with. I bet someone will hire him somewhere though, maybe he will take that college HC job.

zone
01-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ

good post I was ready to write him off I was thinking it was the old buddy hire, but if JM recommended him that speaks volumes. He is the greatest QB to ever play, I think he would know a thing or 2 about it.

Originally posted by SamAdamsFan
I feel bad for Jerry Gray, he led the 2nd best defense last year and he probably will not be asked to return. His first two years weren't great but he didn't have a lot of talent to work with.

I have a diffrent opinion on this I think the first 2 years sucked partially because of talent, but I don't think gray is all that. I think Dick LeBeau was the main reasone for the vast improvement.

HenryRules
01-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I really don't like the idea of bringing in Clements. With a veteran HC, I'm sure he'd do a good job ... but a rookie OC working with a rookie HC - I don't like that situation.

BF_in_Indiana
01-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by R. Rich
These moves are what will be the key, as we so painfully found out with Gregg Williams. Hopefully, Mularkey will do a better job of putting together a staff and the Bills will improve on offense.

The staff is just as important as the head guy. I think one of the big things that set Williams back was his lack of a quality staff. Part of that is because he got hired after the Super Bowl and the good choices were already snapped up. We instead ended up with Sheppard and some other also rans.

Hiring Clements, McNally, and LeBeau would be a great step in the right direction in my opinion Rich.

cordog
01-15-2004, 02:16 AM
If his staff in the burgh is any indication, which im willing to bet he had a bit of say as to the offensive coaches, but i could be wrong, I think he has a pretty good eye when it comes to coaching talent. Clement is regarded as being a bright coach, and Grimm was being heavily courted by the Bears, when he has no OC experience let alone HC experience. Hes already got the core of his staff complete (if reports are true) and it looks really freakin strong.