X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Bills NOT going anywhere!

Here's an article for all you doom and gloomers.

Under the team's 15-year lease with Erie County, the Bills can leave town before next season, although the team would have to pay a $20 million escape fee.

That's clearly not going to happen.

People close to Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. say he has no interest in moving the team under his ownership, and Bills officials suggest they're looking at a long-term partnership with Western New York.

"We have always approached the current arrangement as a 15-year lease, and our business models support that comment," said Tom Donahoe, the team's president and general manager. "We have numerous long-term sponsorship contracts (M&T Bank, Xerox, etc.), and last year we entered into a 10-year extension with St. John Fisher (College) to host training camp."
  • ArcticWildMan

Ralph Wilson is old school. He believes the Bills belong in Buffalo and he'll do almost anything to keep them there.

We're extremely fortunate to have him as an owner. A lot of other owners would have already moved the team to LA.

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
      Ralph Wilson is old school. He believes the Bills belong in Buffalo and he'll do almost anything to keep them there.

We're extremely fortunate to have him as an owner. A lot of other owners would have already moved the team to LA.
      For putting up with as much adversity he has dealing with Buffalo in a small market he should be in the HOF the guy is just truly committed.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I totally agree! I believe that Ralph is going to do everything possible to setup the Bills' future for when he dies, so they always stay in Buffalo.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mike32282
          Here's an article for all you doom and gloomers.

Under the team's 15-year lease with Erie County, the Bills can leave town before next season, although the team would have to pay a $20 million escape fee.
          Mikey, did you ever read that that price tag decreases by $2 mil every year until after 10 years it is zero?? Next year the buyout is only $18 mil, $16 mil the year after that etc, etc, etc...at somepoint that number is really cheap.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

he is 83, the day he dies all bets are off and they buyout will be cheaper and easily payable from the money a new owner will get from a city to move the team.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Devin
              The Octagon
              • Apr 2003

Ralph is the man, hopefully next year he gets a call to the hall.
              http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                he is 83, the day he dies all bets are off and they buyout will be cheaper and easily payable from the money a new owner will get from a city to move the team.
                That's why I believe this quote and hope and

Bills officials suggest they're looking at a long-term partnership with Western New York.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mike32282
                  That's why I believe this quote and hope and
                  As I always say to Clump, by the time Ralph dies the team will be worth in excess of $500 mil...show me where folks in WNY will shell out that cash...Nobody would put up $75 mil for the Sabres. Will Galisano buy the Bills?? Half a Billion is huge.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer

As I always say to Clump, by the time Ralph dies the team will be worth in excess of $500 mil...show me where folks in WNY will shell out that cash...Nobody would put up $75 mil for the Sabres. Will Galisano buy the Bills?? Half a Billion is huge.
                    Knock it off the Bills aren't going anywhere!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                      • Jul 2002

This brings up something I’ve been wondering about, Ralphs wife is about 53 or so, she’s in great health, loves sports and loves the Bills, I don’t know much about estate laws but I’m sure we have many here who do (or claim to). But wouldn’t she get the team without paying any taxes on it???? Or because it’s a business is it different?
                      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                        This brings up something I’ve been wondering about, Ralphs wife is about 53 or so, she’s in great health, loves sports and loves the Bills, I don’t know much about estate laws but I’m sure we have many here who do (or claim to). But wouldn’t she get the team without paying any taxes on it???? Or because it’s a business is it different?
                        Taxes will be assessed...that is how the Robbie's lost the Dolphins. He is the owner, not her...there is no evidence that they are co-owners (he owned the team before he met her)

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

I really hope he has the sense to sign over ownership of the team one of these days before he passes on so that estate taxes can be avoided.
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• AG75
                            My buns are weiner friendly
                            • Oct 2002

Amen, and just because Ralph is so freaking awesome I find myself getting very defensive of him when I see people knock him, or say he does not deserve to go to Canton.
                            Aimee

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The_Philster
                              I really hope he has the sense to sign over ownership of the team one of these days before he passes on so that estate taxes can be avoided.
                              you can't gift a football team...or anything else valued over $10,000 (or maybe it is $11,000 now) in one calander year...those types of gifts are also taxable.

Comment

Working...
                              X