PDA

View Full Version : Bills NOT going anywhere!

Michael82
01-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Here's an article for all you doom and gloomers. :D

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040114/1001802.asp?tbd1001802.asp

Under the team's 15-year lease with Erie County, the Bills can leave town before next season, although the team would have to pay a $20 million escape fee.

That's clearly not going to happen.

People close to Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. say he has no interest in moving the team under his ownership, and Bills officials suggest they're looking at a long-term partnership with Western New York.

"We have always approached the current arrangement as a 15-year lease, and our business models support that comment," said Tom Donahoe, the team's president and general manager. "We have numerous long-term sponsorship contracts (M&T Bank, Xerox, etc.), and last year we entered into a 10-year extension with St. John Fisher (College) to host training camp."

ArcticWildMan
01-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Ralph Wilson is old school. He believes the Bills belong in Buffalo and he'll do almost anything to keep them there.

We're extremely fortunate to have him as an owner. A lot of other owners would have already moved the team to LA.

The Spaz
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Ralph Wilson is old school. He believes the Bills belong in Buffalo and he'll do almost anything to keep them there.

We're extremely fortunate to have him as an owner. A lot of other owners would have already moved the team to LA.

For putting up with as much adversity he has dealing with Buffalo in a small market he should be in the HOF the guy is just truly committed.

Michael82
01-14-2004, 01:34 PM

I totally agree! I believe that Ralph is going to do everything possible to setup the Bills' future for when he dies, so they always stay in Buffalo.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Here's an article for all you doom and gloomers. :D

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040114/1001802.asp?tbd1001802.asp

Under the team's 15-year lease with Erie County, the Bills can leave town before next season, although the team would have to pay a $20 million escape fee.

Mikey, did you ever read that that price tag decreases by $2 mil every year until after 10 years it is zero?? Next year the buyout is only $18 mil, $16 mil the year after that etc, etc, etc...at somepoint that number is really cheap.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 01:35 PM

he is 83, the day he dies all bets are off and they buyout will be cheaper and easily payable from the money a new owner will get from a city to move the team.

Devin
01-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Ralph is the man, hopefully next year he gets a call to the hall.

Michael82
01-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
he is 83, the day he dies all bets are off and they buyout will be cheaper and easily payable from the money a new owner will get from a city to move the team.

That's why I believe this quote and hope and :pray:

Bills officials suggest they're looking at a long-term partnership with Western New York.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
That's why I believe this quote and hope and :pray:

As I always say to Clump, by the time Ralph dies the team will be worth in excess of $500 mil...show me where folks in WNY will shell out that cash...Nobody would put up $75 mil for the Sabres. Will Galisano buy the Bills?? Half a Billion is huge.

The Spaz
01-14-2004, 01:43 PM

As I always say to Clump, by the time Ralph dies the team will be worth in excess of $500 mil...show me where folks in WNY will shell out that cash...Nobody would put up $75 mil for the Sabres. Will Galisano buy the Bills?? Half a Billion is huge.

Knock it off the Bills aren't going anywhere!:earpoke: :mad::madcurse::beer:

Patrick76777
01-14-2004, 01:48 PM
This brings up something I’ve been wondering about, Ralphs wife is about 53 or so, she’s in great health, loves sports and loves the Bills, I don’t know much about estate laws but I’m sure we have many here who do (or claim to). But wouldn’t she get the team without paying any taxes on it???? Or because it’s a business is it different?

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
This brings up something I’ve been wondering about, Ralphs wife is about 53 or so, she’s in great health, loves sports and loves the Bills, I don’t know much about estate laws but I’m sure we have many here who do (or claim to). But wouldn’t she get the team without paying any taxes on it???? Or because it’s a business is it different?

Taxes will be assessed...that is how the Robbie's lost the Dolphins. He is the owner, not her...there is no evidence that they are co-owners (he owned the team before he met her)

The_Philster
01-14-2004, 04:18 PM
I really hope he has the sense to sign over ownership of the team one of these days before he passes on so that estate taxes can be avoided. :pray:

AG75
01-14-2004, 04:18 PM

Amen, and just because Ralph is so freaking awesome I find myself getting very defensive of him when I see people knock him, or say he does not deserve to go to Canton.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I really hope he has the sense to sign over ownership of the team one of these days before he passes on so that estate taxes can be avoided. :pray:

you can't gift a football team...or anything else valued over $10,000 (or maybe it is $11,000 now) in one calander year...those types of gifts are also taxable.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by AG75
Amen, and just because Ralph is so freaking awesome I find myself getting very defensive of him when I see people knock him, or say he does not deserve to go to Canton.

the HOF voters have heard him give intro speeches here in Buffalo and decided that they can not let him ramble for 2 hours before saying anything.

AG75
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM

Maybe people did not jump to buy the Sabres(those with lots of money that is) because they would rather buy the Bills?

AG75
01-14-2004, 04:24 PM

the HOF voters have heard him give intro speeches here in Buffalo and decided that they can not let him ramble for 2 hours before saying anything.

:spit:

That bad huh? I truthfully have not heard him speak much in the media because unlike the early 90's I now check all my info online as opposed to watching the news, or Empire etc etc

I say, let the man ramble ;)

Mr. Miyagi
01-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I'll buy the Bills when Ralph croaks. :up:

AG75
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I'll buy the Bills when Ralph croaks. :up:

:urock:

:clap:

Wait, your not gonna have them become the "Wisconsin Bills" are you? :mad:

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Maybe people did not jump to buy the Sabres(those with lots of money that is) because they would rather buy the Bills?

we can only hope. the Bills are a better investment, there is no denying that.

don137
01-14-2004, 05:44 PM
If I remember there currently is no estate tax in the year 2009 so if Ralph dies in 2009 the Bills are set. Any other year or the laws change we are screwed...Not that I am hoping he dies in 2009...Just stating what I remember...

Dozerdog
01-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Even at $40 Million- a city that is desperate enough (and rich enough)will write a check to cover it. Baltimore did it with the Browns.

When Ralph dies, his wife can inherit the team without paying all the crazy taxes. When she kicks, then the inheritance tax will force the heirs to sell- they just don't have the money to keep the team. Then i'll get worried.

The solution is simple- wwe need Ralph to trade in the old model for a sleek new one.

Ebenezer
01-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Even at $40 Million- a city that is desperate enough (and rich enough)will write a check to cover it. Baltimore did it with the Browns.

When Ralph dies, his wife can inherit the team without paying all the crazy taxes. When she kicks, then the inheritance tax will force the heirs to sell- they just don't have the money to keep the team. Then i'll get worried.

The solution is simple- wwe need Ralph to trade in the old model for a sleek new one.

I don't believe that is true. Business law is different than individual law. I believe she is not exempt from the taxes.

Ð
01-15-2004, 05:07 AM
Unless it goes as a cash transaction, i.e. the team is sold and then the money is transferred to your spouse after your death, then there is nothing to tax. Your spouse does not inherit anything, they just assume the portion of the marital assets that they are assigned in the will. Privately owned businesses are considered a marital asset unless there are different arrangements spelled out in the will. Even if Ralph gave the whole team to his kids, then there is always the risk of his spouse tying it up in probate, and that could force a sale to be able to distribute the assets.

Any way you slice it, the Bills being sold is imminent within the next 5-10 years, probably sooner.

hemi13
01-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Let's not talk about Ralph's death, PLEASE

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2004, 05:56 AM
Wait, your not gonna have them become the "Wisconsin Bills" are you? :mad:
Naaaaah, "Wisconsin Bills" doesn't even make any sense. There is no other place for the Bills than Buffalo NY!

Gunzlingr
01-15-2004, 06:19 AM
All that would hae to be done, is for him to add her to the ownership. That is what my dad did when he found out he had cancer, added mom's and my name to everything. It avoids probate, and any taxes that way, because of the co-ownership.

doug45
01-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Why would the Bills move? They give the fans a crappy product and we still fill the stands every game. So why spend money on an experienced HC when anyone will due.