X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

Are we re-building again?

I am one fan who is against Mularkey being a head coach, but i have no power so i have to live with it. But my question is, are the Buffalo Bills going back into re-building mode? In alot of posts on billszone.com i see posts like "give him next year to prove himself" and "give him a chance next season" but is 1 year enough? Even if he only wins say 4 or 5 games next season, we should stick with him. If he wants to change the system and make this into his team, then we shouldn't expect to make the playoffs next season. If he only wins 4 or 5 games next season, we need to stick with Mularkey. Would that be ok with people?

Or are people expecting him to do some things very fast, turn the offense around and make the playoffs? I think that is way too much to ask a rookie head coach to be honest.
    Impossible is Nothing.

• saviorbledsoe
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jul 2003

Ummmmm he better win at least 10 and have a playoff berth next year. The pieces will be there. Its his job to complete the puzzle NEXT YEAR.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

i think everyone is expecting quick results. FA doesnt allow time to "rebuild".. teams can go from 6-10 to superbowl winners just like the rams and pats.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

I, for one, think that the hiring of Mularkey actually will result in less rebuilding having to be done compared with other candidates. The reasons are Mularkey's familiarity and likely comfort with LeBeau as DC, and his familiarity with Kevin Gilbride oddly enough. Gilbride will be gone, but Mularkey did work with him in Pittsburgh and with Gilbride's departure in Pittsburgh it was up to Mularkey to step in and make the changes in Gilbride's system so Kordell Stewart could actually make plays. The Bills' offensive personnel won't have to learn a whole new set of plays and terminology. Mostly they'll just have to forget the stuff that didn't work this year, assuming Mularkey takes the same approach he did when he became Pittsburgh's OC. In other words, Mularkey probably won't scrap everything and start from scratch. He'll back off the complexity of the offensive system and then build on what's left. I definitely expect more wins next year, and a winning record. I think it might be a little early to be predicting playoffs though.
        Last edited by TigerJ; 01-14-2004, 06:31 PM.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• kal123
          Maybe?
          • Oct 2003

No coaching, no wins. Period. Bills had the talent on paper and failed miserably this season. Why? Coaching. If MOOlarkey goesn't get at least a wild card berth to the playoffs next year with a top ranked defense and with offensive players like Moulds, Henry, Williams, McGahee (if he plays as expected), then he should get shown the door with TD right behind him.

However, I have a feeling Ralph will give him 2 years just to make sure. By that time Moulds is gone, Bledsoe is gone (maybe not a bad thing), and the defense will start to deplete via free agency.

So to answer your question....yes, we are rebuilding again. Look to the '07 season before we get into position for a real run.

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kal123
            No coaching, no wins. Period. Bills had the talent on paper and failed miserably this season. Why? Coaching. If MOOlarkey goesn't get at least a wild card berth to the playoffs next year with a top ranked defense and with offensive players like Moulds, Henry, Williams, McGahee (if he plays as expected), then he should get shown the door with TD right behind him.
            Are you honestly implying that a non-pro-bowl, middle of the pack RT is a cornerstone for an offense?

Mike Williams may one day be a perennial pro bowler, but he's got a lot to learn about consistency and pass blocking before he's there. Maybe McNally will help, but either way, he's still only a RT - that's not something to build an offense around.

Comment

• AG75
              My buns are weiner friendly
              • Oct 2002

I can't take anymore of this rebuilding crap. I am becoming very antsy. 4 seasons and no playoffs and it's driving me nuts. Then I almost feel guilty because I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be for Cardinal, Lion or Bengal fans.
              Aimee

Comment

• Demon
                • Mar 2003

I just feel it's unlikey for this team to make the playoffs next season, no matter how good or bad Mularkey is. It took alot of time for Fisher to get his style settled in Tennessee and it took a few seasons for John Fox in Carolina. Even if this guy is the best choice for the future of the Bills, i don't think he can change it all in one year.

I just think it's unfair for us fans to just give him one year to prove himself. I didn't want to hire this guy, but i am just saying, it takes more then just one season for someone to turn around a team. If he only wins 4 or 5 games and we fire both him and Donahoe, then we will be in serious re-building mode next year at this time.

I think we should atleast give him next season to expieriment with his style, get chemestry together with the players and whatever happens, happens. 4wins, 5wins or 10wins, he needs to be back again. I don't bielive in the "he's got 1 year to prove himself" because he's a rookie head coach, he will need time to adjust and time to work in his system. In 2 years is when we have a realistic shot at the playoffs IMO.

I just think this is the wrong time to just hire a "project" head coach.
                Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• HenryRules
                  • Jul 2002

I think if we miss the playoffs this year, TD should be fired.

I'd leave the fate of Mularkey up to the next GM or else see if a big name coach wants to come in here with complete control.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

I don't think it'll take all that long to get results. We are stockpiled with talent right now, which is a big part of the reason we dumped GW...he didn't get results with all this talent. With the new regime, there will be a few extra mini-camps for the players to work with the system and I would like to think that the 2004 offseason will have as much offseason participation as 2003 did.
                    Originally posted by AG75
                    I can't take anymore of this rebuilding crap. I am becoming very antsy. 4 seasons and no playoffs and it's driving me nuts.
                    short drive
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• helmetguy
                      Touch the helmet for luck
                      • Sep 2002

Okay. We have Mularkey on board. It's a start. People are condemning him to the gallows and he hasn't even been formally introduced yet! GEEZ! Name ONE of the other candidates that we didn't hire who could GUARANTEE we would be in the playoffs next year. Coughlin? Fassel? Green? Yeah, right! Mularkey wasn't my top choice, either, but he's definitely not GW. He'll act much faster, with much less painful soul searching that GW did on getting things at least headed in the right direction. Remember, we don't have to completely dismantle the team like we did when GW was hired.
                      Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                      And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

Working...
                      X