PDA

View Full Version : IS anyone concerned about Tom Clements

eddiehaskill
01-15-2004, 12:15 PM
I was just wondering how quarterback coaches have perormed in history when moving up to Offensive Coordinator. i hope we dont have another "all passing", no- runnign season like this year. Can a quarterback coach step back and forget his last role and learn how to coach the enitre offense?

EDS
01-15-2004, 12:20 PM
No. By all indications he seems incredibly bright, an excellent teacher and a hard worker.

Devin
01-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Anyone that can make Kordell a pro-bowler gets an A in my book. Not to mention what he did with Elvis Grbac.

Mr. Miyagi
01-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Plus, that's why we hired MM. He isn't a pushover like GW is.

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 12:44 PM
i wont lie.. i am a bit concerned about having a qb coach as our OC and an OC as our HC.. but whatever at this point.. just win, baby.

Dozerdog
01-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Wasn't Andy Reid Favre's QB coach? Mariucci was one as well.

G. Host
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
I'd prefer if we were going to promote a Pittsburgh coach to OC MM choose OL Coach Grimm (Grimm, Gray amd Mularkey has such a ring to it) but I am ok with this.

Throne Logic
01-15-2004, 01:15 PM
I have a small amount of concern that MM and Co. might lean to heavily on the passing game. This is based upon the following:

1) MM has been running a version of Gilbride's offense in Pittsburgh. Obviously, this offense tends to favor the passing game.

2) MM and Co. seem to pride themselves on fixing QB's who have had problems (Kordell, Tommy). I'm afraid they may focus too much on fixing Drew.

3) A QB Coach knows about throwing the ball. If a situation in a game comes down to a decision between run and throw, you'd have to believe they'd go with what they are most experienced with (thereby more comfortable with) - the pass.

4) Pittsburgh's running game has steadily declined over the past couple of seasons. Now, how much of this is the RB's lack of talent, you ask? Well, I could bring up the same argument regarding the QB's who's careers were resurrected by MM and Co.

5) Despite all of the problems Pittsburgh had on Offense this past year, the one position that was still happy was the WR spot. What does this tell us? Well, the only time WR's are happy is when the ball keeps coming their way. . .

Now, having said all of this, I'd like to leave things differently. Everything I've just said is all loosely constructed speculation based upon facts about which we don't have all the details. This is my concern, not my prediction.

I am going to give MM and Co. the benefit of the doubt here. I will not make another negative comment on their tendencies until they actually have done something to warrent those comments.

WELCOME TO BUFFALO, MM & CO. !!!

I'll be watching :movie: and supporting this offseason :pound:

:jk:

Make us proud again. (at least beat Miami . . .)

lunatic_bills_fan
01-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i wont lie.. i am a bit concerned about having a qb coach as our OC and an OC as our HC.. but whatever at this point.. just win, baby.
T, I believe in most cases this would a legitimate concern. It wont bother me a bit however if MM keeps LeBeau on as DC. Everyone knows DL knows defence, this would allow MM and Clements to concentrate on making their offence work.

HenryRules
01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
What concerns me is that 2/3 of our game-day decision-makers have never been in that position.

Isolated ... I love the Mularkey move.

Isolated ... I'd love the Clements rule.

Both at the same time ... I think we are going to experience some growing pains.

helmetguy
01-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Growing pains are to be expected with any situation like this. I doubt those growing pains are going to be anywhere near the three year "Chinese Water Torture" GW & Co. subjected us to.

I did see a couple of Steelers' games this year, and questioned some of the play calling on offense. I won't go so far as to equate the offensive scheme to that of KG, simply because KG was very close to bringing back the "Chuck and Du...er... Run and Shoot" here in Buffalo. Most of the Steelers' ills were the result of a ton of injuries along th O-line (something like 47 different line combinations throughout the year) and an aging Jerome Bettis. Amos Zeroue doesn't possess the outside, turn-the-corner speed that he used to and, without consistent blocking, couldn't really get it going.

I like MM's comment about taking a step back, simplifying things and controlling the football. Back to basics, in essence.

Let's face it, GW and the Tennesse Connection were an aberration. How other QB coaches, etc. performed (historically speaking) in their new roles with additional responsibilities doesn't concern me as much as how these guys have progressed with THEIR increased responsibilities. By all indications, they are all trending upwards; with little to suggest that haven't adapted well. Mularkey may not have been my "Dream Choice," but, in time, he could be. I have a better feeling about him than I did at the same point with GW.

madness
01-15-2004, 05:48 PM
First of all, MM ran just as many running plays as passing plays. Second, Marv spoke very highly of Clements. That should be enough for most of you.

helmetguy
01-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by madness23
First of all, MM ran just as many running plays as passing plays. Second, Marv spoke very highly of Clements. That should be enough for most of you.

Works for me!

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 05:58 PM
well, i am not concerned about us running.. i know we will.. because i am sure that when TD was making a hiring move, he said.. "so.. not that it is important, but do you plan on running the ball alot?" and MM said "yeah.. i sure do!".. and TD said.. "good, because i wasnt going to continue the interview if you didnt tell me that."

:D

TigerJ
01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
In his news conference, MM spoke about his offensive philosophy. He likes ball control and wearing down defences. He said he thinks the best defence is an offence that keeps the ball away from the other team. That sounds like a healthy dose of running and a focus on moving the chains. I think the problem in Pittsburgh this past season with the running game included injuries on the O-line, an old battering ram in Bettis who is just running out of steam, and a second RB Amos Zeroue who is too small to be an effective every down back. If McGahee is healthy and can split time with TH, Mularkey will be ecstatic next year. Both of them have enough size to beat on defences plus McGahee has the speed to take it the distance at any time.

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
'nother nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. Mark my words - Bills will be rebuilding again in 2 years time.

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by kal123
'nother nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. Mark my words - Bills will be rebuilding again in 2 years time.

Ye' of little faith.:woot:

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:17 PM
The PITTSBURGH EXPRESS is now leaving the station. ALL ABOARD!!!!

Next stop: Mediocrityville.

TD is now in my book a lame duck GM. He couldn't think of anything creative or unique, so he fell back on his old ties. If those ties were of a championship ilk, then great. But this is the end of the beginning. What a drag.

I just can't be optimistic when crap like this happens. He said he would take his time, and all he did was poach his old team which failed to make the playoffs. Pure genius.

zone
01-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Someone here said Joe montana recomended TC as the head coach of some team, so if Marv likes him and the greatest QB to ever walk the earth likes him then I have no right not to. Although it does look like the cheap way out and MM hirring his buddy. I am willing to roll the dice cause good things could happen!

Kelly The Dog
01-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Joe Montana lobbied for Tom Clements to be named head coach at Notre Dame when they hired O'Leary/Willingham. Clements is a very smart guy. Won a National Championship as QB at ND. Won a couple Grey Cup championships and MVP awards as a QB. Was QB coach for three straight years of resurrecting careers of Grbac, Kordell and then Maddox. And when they asked him today on wnsa about his philosophy he sounded just like Mularkey. Said ball control, keep your defense off the field. I don't think he even mentioned the word pass. TD also implied that TD wanted to hire him over Gilbride but allowed GW to make the final choice on it.

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
Joe Montana lobbied for Tom Clements to be named head coach at Notre Dame when they hired O'Leary/Willingham. Clements is a very smart guy. Won a National Championship as QB at ND. Won a couple Grey Cup championships and MVP awards as a QB. Was QB coach for three straight years of resurrecting careers of Grbac, Kordell and then Maddox. And when they asked him today on wnsa about his philosophy he sounded just like Mularkey. Said ball control, keep your defense off the field. I don't think he even mentioned the word pass. TD also implied that TD wanted to hire him over Gilbride but allowed GW to make the final choice on it.

Yeah see my thread called Bio: Tom Clements :up:

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by kal123
The PITTSBURGH EXPRESS is now leaving the station. ALL ABOARD!!!!

Next stop: Mediocrityville.

TD is now in my book a lame duck GM. He couldn't think of anything creative or unique, so he fell back on his old ties. If those ties were of a championship ilk, then great. But this is the end of the beginning. What a drag.

I just can't be optimistic when crap like this happens. He said he would take his time, and all he did was poach his old team which failed to make the playoffs. Pure genius.

what old ties.. you mean, when MM was a TE coach that barely knew TD?

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:20 PM
When Bettis still had some gas in the tank in 01, Mularkey ran the ball 56% of the time. Just think about him with a good RB in his prime and possibly a future superstar in the backfield.

Demon
01-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I don't really know my college football history, but who did Clements coach in ND? Which QB's? Ron Pawlus? Was he in the year when Derrick Mays and Pawlus had the great year?