The_Philster
01-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Like they always say...those who can't, teach :D

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 07:18 PM
I won't knock him he lasted 9 years being crappy.:up:

justasportsfan
01-15-2004, 07:19 PM
That's alright. We're not hiring him to play TE.

helmetguy
01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
But the guy was a hell of a blocker. If we based everything on stats, we'd all be like...well...you know...

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Don't worry. His Bills' W-L record will make his TE stats look like Hall of Fame numbers.

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by kal123
Don't worry. His Bills' W-L record will make his TE stats look like Hall of Fame numbers.

just so i dont break the TOS.. your post is idiotic... and assinine

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:31 PM
whatever

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 07:32 PM
whatever

Great post!:up::clap::woeisme:

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:34 PM
:rolleyes:

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 07:37 PM
kal123... seriously... how can you not give the guy a chance? what happens if he does well this year?

i just dont understand you persistence in being negative.. i dont want to argue with you.. i just want to be happy that the team is doing what THEY think is best... do you think those guys.. you know, the experts that get paid millions to do this job for a living, and whose livelyhood depend on this team doing well... do you think they want to set us up to fail?

please just give the guy a chance.

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Thank you tatonka for a reasonable and fair post. I can understand your point and don't completely disagree, and I don't really want to argue either.

However, I just feel that given the string of events - hiring MM (former Pitt connection), who then hires TC (from Pitt again)....with a record that was not good last year...feels like a bad set of decisions.

We could have waited for Weis. I don't think anyone would have snapped up MM by then (he has tried for 2 HC positions in the last 2 years and was never picked up). At least I would have felt TD had used all the options.

I agree that they *want* to be good. But so did GW...so did KG....its just that they didn't have the ability to do it. I'm seriously considering that TD also lacks the ability as a GM at this point. I mean, he wanted to do good with GW and failed. It happens even though they try.

Yes, I hope I am eating mounds of crow at the end of next season if they make it to the playoffs and do well. I really hope so. I have no problem admitting I was completely wrong. I just don't have a good feeling about these moves.

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 07:53 PM
the pittsburg connection you talked about.. MM said himself, he didnt know TD.. how close do a TE coach and a GM work together? the OC we hired was in the running 2 years ago...

i honestly dont think the "pitt connection" is the reason he was hired.

i think they liked what clements can do with a qb.. i think they liked the fact that MM can clean up a gilbride mess... you are basing his overall performance as a head coach on the fact that his offense struggled last year.. well they were great 2 years before.. not just good.. great.

and MM actually was a candidate for 5 other jobs.. not 2.. 5.. and he turned down cincy.. who went on to hire Lewis..

i think another attractive thing about the guy is the staff that he is assembling. we dont know what weis planned on doing.

bottom line is, it is tough to know the complete story unless you are in that room, so give the guy just a bit of ramp up time and see what he can put together this year.

look at what Fox was able to do in Carolina.. he took over a **** team, and in 2 years rebuilt it and has them playing great. well this team is closer to greatness than the panthers were when fox got there.

i just chose to see it as the glass is half full.. for the time being at least..

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Well, turning down cincy isn't exactly surprising. ;)

And I wanted Fox...but we got man boobs instead....a direct f*** up by TD. :(

But I hear you. I still can't be positive about this but I'll try to going forward. (although you are still gonna see a few shots here and there....just take them with a grain of salt....remember, none of us get paid by the Bills so it's all fun and games for us in the end anyway. :D

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, turning down cincy isn't exactly surprising. ;)

And I wanted Fox...but we got man boobs instead....a direct f*** up by TD. :(

But I hear you. I still can't be positive about this but I'll try to going forward. (although you are still gonna see a few shots here and there....just take them with a grain of salt....remember, none of us get paid by the Bills so it's all fun and games for us in the end anyway. :D

i have no problem with you or anyone taking shots from time to time, while being constructive.. but it seems like since you've been on the board, it has just been one negative thing after another.. but as i see above, you are more than capable of carrying on an intelligent informed conversation.. just show that more often.

:chuk:

helmetguy
01-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Some people just have a real hard-on to dislike TD, tonk.

Then again, this column sounded quite reasonable:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040115/1041522.asp

Then, again, I'm sure there are those who will discount everything DiCesare wrote; simply because DiCesare didn't say what they want to believe.

madness
01-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i think they liked what clements can do with a qb.. i think they liked the fact that MM can clean up a gilbride mess... you are basing his overall performance as a head coach on the fact that his offense struggled last year.. well they were great 2 years before.. not just good.. great.

Well said..you can't argue with how much success he had just one year after KG. I didn't think it was possible.

Here's too hoping he repeat that same success. :cheers:

Plus it's common knowledge Cowher wanted to run a west coast offense last year. For some reason he believed Maddux was a good enough QB to flourish in it.

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by helmetguy
Some people just have a real hard-on to dislike TD, tonk.

Then again, this column sounded quite reasonable:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040115/1041522.asp

Then, again, I'm sure there are those who will discount everything DiCesare wrote; simply because DiCesare didn't say what they want to believe.

i know.. and i dont have a problem with anyone disliking TD.. i am on the fence with him really.. i want to like him.. and i hope this move works out.. i mean.. the guy has hired 2 head coaches.. Cower and Williams.. he is 50/50..

i just dont like people being openly combative for no real reason.. i spend alot of time here.. because i enjoy the people.. and kal is intelligent.. possibly a very enjoyable person to debate with.. but you can just give us all negatives.. be contructive.. lets see your posts on how to make things better.. ect.. you get the idea.

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 08:33 PM
I will say that I was excited when TD first came here. I thought his style and his directness would help the team grow. IMO, the biggest problem then and now is team discipline. You can see that by the penalties and lack of motivation on the field.

Obviously the coach has alot more to do with this, but then again TD is ultimately responsible. He also allowed him to hire KG, which was another gaff. I mean serisously....who in their right mind hires a guy like that? I think we all can empathize with Buddy Ryan now. ;)

In any event, yes....at this point I am not a big fan of TD. Of course I'm only a fan, but he has to prove himself to me big time with this move and others before I will take him off my s*** list.

That article was actually very good. However, the fact that he wrote it means there are alot of people who agree with me, so I'm not just a forum troll who is trying to pick a fight. There is substance to what I've said....and valid counter points as well...so we'll see what happens.

I just think he should have waited for Weiss. Let's put it this way - if Wiess goes to Oakland, and *they* make a playoff run before the Bills, (and Oakland doesn't have half the talent of the Bills)would you then agree that TD screwed up again?

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 09:20 PM
I just think he should have waited for Weiss. Let's put it this way - if Wiess goes to Oakland, and *they* make a playoff run before the Bills, (and Oakland doesn't have half the talent of the Bills)would you then agree that TD screwed up again?

i will definately agree with you completely.. in fact, i will do one better... regardless of what happens with any other team, if THIS team does not make the playoffs or serious strides that way and show improvement in the discipline department, then TD is a failure.

i dont know if you listened to his press confrence , but he spoke about that.. he said he thought the team was mentally weak and how that need to be improved... he liked MM because he knows he is a mentally tough guy and coach.

i also dont think that oakland will land weis.. i am willing to wager on that.

justasportsfan
01-15-2004, 09:28 PM

i also dont think that oakland will land weis.. i am willing to wager on that.

Anything to take something away from the pats. :up: These guys have tons of picks and Bellichick is no dummy.

Had it been Wanny he would've picked a kicker for a 1st pick and a snapper for his 2nd 1st rd pick.

Mr. Cynical
01-15-2004, 09:48 PM
I didn't hear the press conference but that's encouraging that TD recognized what I believe are the main problems (discipline and motivation). If MM has that "gruden-esque" persona, then I'm definitely more positive about the hire.

As for Oakland getting Weis...not sure I want to take that wager. ;) It was more for an example to be honest.

justa - agreed. I know this is sacrilege to say this as a Bills fan, but I hate the Pats more than the Fish at this point. BB is just too damn smug with letting players like Drew and Lawyer go. Yeah, he talked the talk and walked the walk, so he did back it up. But it doesn't mean I have to like him. ;)

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
I didn't hear the press conference but that's encouraging that TD recognized what I believe are the main problems (discipline and motivation). If MM has that "gruden-esque" persona, then I'm definitely more positive about the hire.

As for Oakland getting Weis...not sure I want to take that wager. ;) It was more for an example to be honest.

justa - agreed. I know this is sacrilege to say this as a Bills fan, but I hate the Pats more than the Fish at this point. BB is just too damn smug with letting players like Drew and Lawyer go. Yeah, he talked the talk and walked the walk, so he did back it up. But it doesn't mean I have to like him. ;)

couple things.. yeah.. he did (TD) directly address those issues.. and i think anyone could see them.. so it wasnt like it was real big of him to do so, but at least he called a spade a spade.. it would have been nice to have a coach last year pull a bill calahan "we must have the stupidest players in the nfl".. lol.. but at least we know that it is being regarded as important..

as far as MM.. you should listen to his press confrence.. it is good, and i think it will make you feel better..

he did say that he doesnt yell "unless he has to".. i would have liked to see his face if i could have, but it sounded like, to me, that he basically ment that he wasnt afraid to jump in someones ****.. but he also said that he knows from being a player when to push a guy and when not to.. and there may be times that a player feels he is being pushed to hard, but that doesnt mean that he feels that way..

i got an overall positive vibe from what he was saying...

also.. think about it.. all the great coaches right now (with a few exceptions) are in their first head coaching job... reid, fox, edwards, bilick, lewis, cower.. you get my point.. i am excited about new blood.. what if we did just catch lightning in a bottle.. this could be a great thing man..

maybe weis would have been a better choice.. but maybe not.. for all the success that weis has had, he sure as hell hasnt figured out how to utilize a RB.. and we dont have a qb good enough to rely on like brady has been for them. maybe there is a aspect of relating to players that MM has as an advantage over weiss who never played a down of football in his life.

all i know is MM is saying the right things and hiring the right people up to this point... so i cant complain.. and his players like playing for him..

and about being sacrilege to say you hate the pats more than the fish.. i dont think so.. the fish suck, and the pats are great right now.. so it is much easier to hate the pats more. :D

caveboy
01-15-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm willing to give him the same grace period that I gave all the other coaches. Damn, I wasted six years of hope between Fade and GW, what's another three? ;-p

It's tough to dislike a new coach though that comes in and says the things we haven't heard in a while. In terms of toughness, ball-control, etc. But the flip side: look at GW when he first got here, talking about whooping Haslett and the Saints on opening day. I hadn't heard that from Wade & Co previsouly, so I was all pumped. And the rest is history...lol.

I think MM will bring some cred just being a former player. Will the team try harder for him than GW? Time will tell. I don't think the Pittsburgh connection factor is TD's main motivation though. It seems like all MM's hires are geared towards helping/repairing Drew, and that's troublesome. If DB plays crappy again, will TD finally realize he needs to pull the plug on this experiment?

MM hinted that they don't know what they will do in terms of a vet FA at QB, so who knows? All I know is that as of today, Drew, The Pill and Travis are heading into training camp as our QBs, and THAT'S more scary than us hiring yet another OC-turned first-time coach.

Hey, maybe we can get RJ from Oakland, that way MM and Co can fix two QBs for the price of one!

Anyway, welcome aboard MM! LET'S RUN THE BALL NOW!!!!!!!

Tatonka
01-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by caveboy
I'm willing to give him the same grace period that I gave all the other coaches. Damn, I wasted six years of hope between Fade and GW, what's another three? ;-p

It's tough to dislike a new coach though that comes in and says the things we haven't heard in a while. In terms of toughness, ball-control, etc. But the flip side: look at GW when he first got here, talking about whooping Haslett and the Saints on opening day. I hadn't heard that from Wade & Co previsouly, so I was all pumped. And the rest is history...lol.

I think MM will bring some cred just being a former player. Will the team try harder for him than GW? Time will tell. I don't think the Pittsburgh connection factor is TD's main motivation though. It seems like all MM's hires are geared towards helping/repairing Drew, and that's troublesome. If DB plays crappy again, will TD finally realize he needs to pull the plug on this experiment?

MM hinted that they don't know what they will do in terms of a vet FA at QB, so who knows? All I know is that as of today, Drew, The Pill and Travis are heading into training camp as our QBs, and THAT'S more scary than us hiring yet another OC-turned first-time coach.

Hey, maybe we can get RJ from Oakland, that way MM and Co can fix two QBs for the price of one!

Anyway, welcome aboard MM! LET'S RUN THE BALL NOW!!!!!!!

TD also has stated acouple of time that we will be drafting a qb on day one of the draft.

caveboy
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
If TD could perform some magic and get Manning, I'd be happy. Then I suspect we'd see Drew suddenly start playing a lot better knowing younger competition was just around the corner.

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2004, 12:27 AM

TD also has stated acouple of time that we will be drafting a qb on day one of the draft.

That is probably the smartest thing he's said to date. :D

Seriously though, I was a HUGE fan of bringing Drew here....29....cannon for an arm....really good guy (lunch pail as opposed to surfboard of RJ). I remember that one early game where he had his neck stapled and went back out on the field. I almost did a backflip I was so giddy.

But then it seemed like the naysayers's comments (alot from NE) started to come true. He is a .500 career player. I'd like to think this is all KG's fault...along with the shaky line....but there were enough times where Drew did have the time and just flat out missed throws. I'm not talking about the miscommunication screwups where the WR would run the wrong route...I mean the plain old bad throws at the feet or over the head, etc. At $6M/year (or whatever the exact $ is), that's just not acceptable. So I really wonder now if he is washed up, at least mentally. I can say with reasonable certainty that his confidence right now is s***....that much is obvious.

So, hopefully the "new blood" of MM/TC can screw his head back on straight because he is still (realatively) young 30/31. Most QBs hit their stride at that age because they know the game so well. But unfortunately his career numbers when averaged out don't bode well for a big turnaround....

Anyway, that's why I'm happy that TD has at least acknowledged they need to get a QB in the draft. If he played the "Drew is our guy 10000% and we don't need to draft a QB" card, I would have said his ego is the size of a '77 LTD. This statement at least keeps it at a more reasonable size....a Lumina? ;)

Dozerdog
01-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Funny-

people compare him to GW and mention that GW lacked experience- and draw a correlation to Mularkey.

While both GW and MM had around the same amount of years as an assitant /coordinator- Mularkey has an additional 9 years on GW as a player- I think that adds a ton to his resume. He know's what it's like to be out there- GW doesn't.

BTW- Bill Cower was a scrub linebacker for 2-3 seasons - much less impressive than MM (if that means anything)