View Full Version : lebeau to pittsburg

woody2000
01-15-2004, 11:23 PM
post gasette.com

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by woody2000
post gasette.com

Post the link. Aww man Mikey if this is true I'll kill you!:mad::madcurse::woeisme:

Throne Logic
01-15-2004, 11:25 PM
huh? What's the full link?

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I looked on postgazette.com and i didnt see s***

woody2000
01-15-2004, 11:27 PM
the link is on the pittsburg message board espn

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by woody2000
the link is on the pittsburg message board espn

Then nothing is official. Mikey90210 found a story saying John Clayton reported LeBeau is staying in Buffalo. Also on the Gazzette itself there is nothing except what we already know.

Demon
01-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Here is the link i just pulled out from the ESPN message board: http://post-gazette.com/pg/04016/262080.stm

LtBillsFan66
01-15-2004, 11:34 PM
WTF! :mad:

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:34 PM
I just saw it too SOB!!!!!:mad::madcurse:

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:35 PM
not good

lordofgun
01-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Buffalo must have given him permission if this is true. HE must not have been the man they wanted for DC in Buffalo.

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
Buffalo must have given him permission if this is true. HE must not have been the man they wanted for DC in Buffalo.

Hmm who could it be then Gray, Jauron?:confused::confused2:

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Theres nothing on espn.com . Hopefully the Gazette just screwed up. Doubt it cuz they are usually pretty good.

Dozerdog
01-15-2004, 11:40 PM
He signed a 1 year contract last year- LeBeau was a free agent

Dozerdog
01-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Hmm who could it be then Gray, Jauron?:confused::confused2:

Jauron will probably be the NY Giant DC

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Just saw that as well. Now it could get interesting.

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Greg Blache maybe

LtBillsFan66
01-15-2004, 11:43 PM
I'm getting worried about too many rookies on staff. I was happy that the D would be in the hands of a vet, and Mularkey and Clements would focus on O. Damn!

jchild178
01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
ok this really sux! but how do you guys feel about jauron in here DC? sometimes it seems that ex-head coaches are good at being coordinators because they can focus on one aspect of the game....

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:46 PM
What about Robinson from KC? LOL

Demon
01-15-2004, 11:47 PM
If this is true, i think it's a sure bet that Jerry Gray will re-main with the team as a defensive cord. And noone really knows who made the offense into what it was, LeBeau or Gray, and even if LeBoeu was the major factor, i'm sure Gray learned TONS from the season and should be fine on his own.

lordofgun
01-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Is Walt Corey still alive?

cordog
01-15-2004, 11:49 PM
what about Fade Phillips?

The Spaz
01-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by cordog
what about Fade Phillips?

Nooooooooooooo!:chief:

G. Host
01-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Notice quote: It appears

Not definite uet but if Buffalo is contacting other candidates as it said, probably true.

BillsMan80
01-16-2004, 12:17 AM
Why is everyone so anti-Gray? He must have done some things right. It wasn't all LeBeau. Gray would be a fine choice, and there would be nothing wrong with keeping Gray.

buffalofan72
01-16-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Demon
If this is true, i think it's a sure bet that Jerry Gray will re-main with the team as a defensive cord. And noone really knows who made the offense into what it was, LeBeau or Gray, and even if LeBoeu was the major factor, i'm sure Gray learned TONS from the season and should be fine on his own.

I agree. Hell I say keep Gray! But if....Greg Blache wouldn't be bad

jchild178
01-16-2004, 12:42 AM
keep gray if lebeau leaves

mackey789
01-16-2004, 01:04 AM
this sucks

STAMPY
01-16-2004, 02:05 AM
wat about crennel from NE?

Devin
01-16-2004, 02:19 AM
cant move latterally can he?

this blows. Gray ant bad but DL is better.

Mr. Cynical
01-16-2004, 03:07 AM
I would love to hear the defensive player's thoughts, e.g., spikes, milloy, fletcher, etc. If they really like Gray I say keep him. As others have said here, it wasn't all DL that made the defense go. It was an up and coming D from last season.

However if they are kind of "eh" about Gray, then they should get a Jauron or somebody to make a "clean break" from the ugliness of the past few years. Actually I would probably lean this way if I had my choice. Let's start fresh.

The_Philster
01-16-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

I think Pittsburgh's recently fired Defensive coordinator already took that job. :scratch:

shelby
01-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Isn't this a demotion for LeBeau? He was our Assistant HC if i'm not mistaken.

hemi13
01-16-2004, 05:42 AM
He'll stay, He know's Buffalo wants him to be the DC.

Jan Reimers
01-16-2004, 06:14 AM
If LeBeau leaves, Jerry Gray will be fine as DC. He's been on the job 3 years now, including a year with LeBeau, knows the players, and gives us continuity.

He is at least partially responsible for building a pretty good defense.

Ickybaluky
01-16-2004, 06:54 AM
wat about crennel from NE?

Crennel signed a 3-yr extension recently, so he is the Pats DC through 2006 unless he receives a HC opportunity.

doug45
01-16-2004, 06:55 AM
If Lebeau leaves that would be the final straw. Gray sucks and things only turned around when Lebeau came in. We are headed back to the first year of GW, a bunch of coaches with no experience at thier coaching positions.

Halbert
01-16-2004, 07:48 AM
I would love to have Wade back as DC, but that ain't gonna happen.

If LeBeau goes to Pittsburgh I'm fine with Gray.

nolimit
01-16-2004, 07:56 AM
the buffalo news says were going after blache, Mcginnis or jauron, so dont fret!

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2004, 08:04 AM
There is no IF, it's true.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04016/262080.stm

:mad:

Keep Gray or get Blache. I'd rather keep Gray though. Hate to have to start over AGAIN.

35Pete
01-16-2004, 08:09 AM
Gray would be fine. Remember, he learned a LOT while DL was here. I am sure that he would keep the same scheme.

doug45
01-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Keep Gray or get Blache. I'd rather keep Gray though. Hate to have to start over AGAIN.

That tears it.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
Welcome aboard 35Pete!!! :welcome:

Kelly The Dog
01-16-2004, 08:35 AM

There are no facts in that article. There is no comment from anyone about LeBeau choosing Pitt. There are false inferences (like the reason it appears Lebeau chose PT is because Robinson was announced to be DC of the 49ers and PT let him go as that has been known for three days that he was a candidate and interviewed, he just chose the better job/promotion). The writer used words like "appears" and "likely" because he has not facts or even quotes. he just connected some random dots. The ONLY new info is a league source that says Blache may interview for the Bills, and to me, that only means there is a back-up plan IF LeBeau signs with PT and Gray seems miffed, which I doubt. I am not saying that LeBeau will stay but this article is TOTAL conjecture. Remember last year, Lebeau sat around at his house for days and days and finally said he was coming to Buffalo.

TigerJ
01-16-2004, 08:41 AM
If Gray would stay, I'm fine with keeping him, BUT Gray knows he was the Bills' second choice, and he was passed over for the HC job. He may not be very kindly disposed toward the Buffalo Bills right now, and he has an offer on the table to become head coach at his college alma mater. I'd be surprised if he stays. Besides the guys who who have already been mentioned (Jauron, McGinnis, etc) maybe the Bills ought to consider elevating one of the position coaches with the team right now. I know that would give Buffalo two coordinators without prior coordinating experience, but it would give them a guy who knows and is comfortable with the defensive system they are already running. A new guy to the team may have to start from scratch, and that means the players all have to learn a new system. It's just a thought, but Don Blackmon seems to be a bright guy.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Agreed. But this quote sounds like he's sure about it himself:

"I've always had a special spot in my heart for Pittsburgh and the years I spent here," LeBeau said after his interview Tuesday with Cowher. "If my memory serves me right, we won a couple of games. The people here, the sports fans of Pittsburgh are exceptional, and they were always particularly good to me. It's always been like coming home."

I hope you're right that he stays.

Kelly The Dog
01-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Agreed. But this quote sounds like he's sure about it himself:

"I've always had a special spot in my heart for Pittsburgh and the years I spent here," LeBeau said after his interview Tuesday with Cowher. "If my memory serves me right, we won a couple of games. The people here, the sports fans of Pittsburgh are exceptional, and they were always particularly good to me. It's always been like coming home."

I hope you're right that he stays.

Right. Tuesday. He said that three days ago. Before MM was announced.

Tatonka
01-16-2004, 08:51 AM
the article is talking about the interview on tuesday.. MM announced yesterday that he is talking w/ Lebeau and Gray both.. the guy has not taken the job yet.. just chill people.

Kelly The Dog
01-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
If Gray would stay, I'm fine with keeping him, BUT Gray knows he was the Bills' second choice, and he was passed over for the HC job. He may not be very kindly disposed toward the Buffalo Bills right now, and he has an offer on the table to become head coach at his college alma mater. I'd be surprised if he stays. Besides the guys who who have already been mentioned (Jauron, McGinnis, etc) maybe the Bills ought to consider elevating one of the position coaches with the team right now. I know that would give Buffalo two coordinators without prior coordinating experience, but it would give them a guy who knows and is comfortable with the defensive system they are already running. A new guy to the team may have to start from scratch, and that means the players all have to learn a new system. It's just a thought, but Don Blackmon seems to be a bright guy.

Actually, his standing job offer is to be DC for Texas under Mac Brown. Gray doesn't have a lot of options. There are a couple DC jobs around but not many anymore. He wants to become a HC There has ONLY been media speculation that LeBeau was offered the job by Mularkey, and Mularkey said point blank that he didnt offer the job to LeBeau in the PC. The Bills have denied the Redskins to talk to Gray. Gray cold keep his staff here, and with the Bills players he has a great chance to have a top rated defense again. His being "miffed" may be true but would wear off after one day on the job with MM and starting back to start the year. The players hae said nothing but great things about Gray. I heard Schobel last night interviewed saying he doesnt want to lose either Gray or LeBeau but knows one will likely go.

Furthermore, too much has been made about the PT connection and the facts, or at least the direct quotes from the principals say otherwise. MM would be dumb to just assume LeBeau is his guy because he knew him ten years ago and before he spoketo gray and found out from the players what they thought of the job Gray did and the job Lebeau did, and who did what. I guarantee that MM made it clear to Gray that he is interviewing him for the job. TD didnt interview Gray JUST for the minority clause because he had Crennell and Lovie for that. If LeBeau does leave, I think Gray stays and keeps Blackmon and Krumrie who are given two year extensions.

Tatonka
01-16-2004, 09:37 AM
way to break it down, kelly.

WagonCircler
01-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
TD didnt interview Gray JUST for the minority clause because he had Crennell and Lovie for that. If LeBeau does leave, I think Gray stays and keeps Blackmon and Krumrie who are given two year extensions.

He didn't interview him for the minority clause, but he did interview him as a standard courtesy extended to Coordinators who are on staff and have done a good job. Gray has to have known TD was looking for an Offensive minded HC, and that he didn't really have a shot at the HC job. I just hope he's not too ticked about MM wanting LeBeau for Defensive Coordinator. I don't see why he couldn't have just remained Asst. HC. I'm not sure LeBeau and Gray worked as closely together as we've assumed.

Anyway, I hope he stays, but McGinnis would be a great plan B.