• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

What to do w/ Henry and McGahee???

Should we:

a.) Keep both backs for the 2004 season

b.) Trade either McGahee or Henry, and get either a higher draft pick or a legitimate DE, or OL

c.) Keep both backs as long as the team is successful

d.) keep travis henry no matter what

Personally i answer w/ D. I am partial b/c i feel that travis is a warrior, and a tremendous talent. I am open to the fact that McGahee could be a great NFL playmaker, but i just don't know how that knee will hold up.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...
  • venis2k1
    Youboty can hope
    • Jul 2002

e.) wait till willis steps on the feild before we even start to think about this.

Comment

• caveboy
      • Oct 2003

Over the past decade, the Bills don't seem to be able to handle having more than one back at a time, lol, so they both go. My solution: AVP takes over as our only all-purpose back, freeing up money to go get a real kicker.

Seriously though, I say A). I doubt WM is going anywhere until he proves he can't play at the level we're expecting. I think the tandem of TH and WM would be a helluva 1-2 punch to wear down defenses. But until we see a real committment to ball-control/running under Mularkey, then I'm holding my breath.
      "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

• kal123
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

f) Get Thurman out of retirement

Too early to tell, but if Willis works out, then they shouldn't keep both in '05. My hope is that Henry does well and pushes Willis, Willis becomes the next coming of TT, and then we get a nice juicy pick for trading Henry the following season. I like Henry but he's not "special" or a franchise back. Of course we don't konw if McGahee will be either, but if that knee is 100%, odds are he will be. And I hate running by committee...it never works long term.

Edit: Was watching ESPN's replay of SBXXV. Yes, I'm a masochist. Anyway, just wathing TT made me remember what we had with him. I truly hope Willis fills his cleats. How amazing would that be.
        Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 01-16-2004, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

*see steven davis and deshawn foster.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• jchild178
            • Mar 2003

great example tatonka! awesome one two punch in carolina

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
              My IQ Test results came back negative
              • Oct 2002

Why o you guys even talk about trade our best player(henry) im sick of that. Why would you even wanan talk about that? We hired mike mularky not Mike Dikta!

Comment

• juice
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                *see steven davis and deshawn foster.
                *See Jamal Lewis for a back with a smooth recovery and becoming the franchise back. Trade Henry to NE for 2 first round picks.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                  • Apr 2003

trade henry to dallas for two first rounders, i wouldnt like to see henry twice a year with all the motivation in the world for payback
                  the dude abides

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                    My IQ Test results came back negative
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by juice
                    *See Jamal Lewis for a back with a smooth recovery and becoming the franchise back. Trade Henry to NE for 2 first round picks.
                    Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
                    trade henry to dallas for two first rounders, i wouldnt like to see henry twice a year with all the motivation in the world for payback
                    Are you guys frikin kidding me! you want to trade our BEST player for 2 unproven rookies!!!!! thats just a bunch of mualrky! why would you even talk about that.

Comment

• Brian Griese Rulz
                      • Aug 2003

No GM in his right mind will give up 2 first round picks for Henry. Henry's trade stock will be at its highest point during this off-season. If you wait another year and split the RB carriers next year between TH/WM it will only bring down Henry's trade stock.

Trade Henry and a 3rd round pick now to a team that has a pick in the top 5 in this years draft. We could get Eli, Fitzgerald, Winslow or Taylor with a top 5 pick.

I'd rather have 1 of those guys then have 2 good RB's. And if we do trade Henry we can draft another RB in the late rounds.

Comment

• HenryRules
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll

Are you guys frikin kidding me! you want to trade our BEST player for 2 unproven rookies!!!!! thats just a bunch of mualrky! why would you even talk about that.
                        faulk, walker, williams

Comment

• Demon
                          • Mar 2003

If Mularkey is a offensive genius like alot of media people seem to say he is, then i am sure he will find ways to put BOTH McGahee and Henry on the field at the same time. Look what he did to Antwan Randle El in Pittsburgh. I will bet we will see many times both McGahee and Henry on the field during the same time and that will be confusing defenses tons.
                          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• kal123
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Yeah, you can find some exceptions to the rule. But you have to admit, probably at least 90% of all Super Bowl teams have had a franchise back. And alot more "two back" teams have failed with that approach than have succeeded with it long term.

Let's do it this year but I still think we should trade Henry if McGahee pans out. IMO it's just better to have that single go to guy (Green, Holmes, Lewis, Tomlinson, etc.) But again, this means you have to *have* one of those great talents. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Willis is one of these guys.

Actually more to the point, let's hope Mularkey turns out to be a great coach. In these days of FA, the coach is THE most important person on the team. Just look at Carolina, Bengals, Dallas, Patsies...a bunch of middle talent teams that are doing well because of the coach.
                            Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 01-17-2004, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• caveboy
                              • Oct 2003

"the coach is THE most important person on the team."

Good point. Especially since the good ones tend to be the most consistant factor in these days of free agency, where it seems the window for teams to be successful is 2-3 years max.

As much as I like a 2-back set, I think if TH gets better and WM lives up to the hype, their egos may not allow room for the other. Look at this year when TH complained about not getting the ball enough. (And that was just because KG didn't know what using the run was,) wait until WM gets out there and competes.

Reminds me of when GW had all three backs, Morris, Bryson and Smith 'competing' for the position going into mini-camps. Why, we never ran the ball anyway. lol.
                              "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

Working...
                              X