PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Gray is staying

The Spaz
01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Orchard Park, NY - The Bills today announced that Jerry Gray will continue to serve as the team’s defensive coordinator on the staff of new head coach Mike Mularkey.

“We are very pleased that Jerry Gray has accepted the offer to continue as the Bills Defensive Coordinator,” said Mularkey. “Jerry has done an outstanding job with our defense and last year’s league rankings are a good measure of his abilities as a defensive coordinator.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=224845&dsp=press

lordofgun
01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
As long as we can start forcing some turnovers, I don't mind. Another good pass-rusher would help.

zone
01-16-2004, 01:21 PM
I am not a Gray fan, the talent we have on D is not properly utilized.

Mr. Miyagi
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
With LeBeau gone, keeping Gray is still better than hiring another guy in and starting over.

I like it. :up:

Buckets
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by zone
I am not a Gray fan, the talent we have on D is not properly utilized.

Think of what you are saying; if it was positive it was DL's doing but if was negative it was Gray's fault? Who was running the show? We can't have it both ways.

ryven
01-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Gray will be fine he did a good job last season and if it was with DL's help then lets hope he learned it other than that I think he will do ok. Plus like DL said he didn't call the shot s last year and we had the #2 D so I will stay positive that JG will get the job done.

Buckets
01-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ryven
Gray will be fine he did a good job last season and if it was with DL's help then lets hope he learned it other than that I think he will do ok. Plus like DL said he didn't call the shot s last year and we had the #2 D so I will stay positive that JG will get the job done.

AMEN BRO

Tatonka
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
gray had this defense headed in the right direction the last 8 games of 2002.. he will be just fine. i am glad to hear he is staying.

hopefully if we can get him some passrush help, things will get even better.

juice
01-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
gray had this defense headed in the right direction the last 8 games of 2002.. he will be just fine. i am glad to hear he is staying.

hopefully if we can get him some passrush help, things will get even better.

DE stud in the draft and a cover safety will keep this defense top 5.

BillsOwnAll
01-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Gray will do fine.

mypoorfriendme
01-16-2004, 02:44 PM
i realize we could use a pass rushing d-end, but in reality, what does it matter if we still have the number 2 defense overall, and 2 against the pass as well???

mypoorfriendme
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
its not like were getting picked apart or anything. and like my dad used to always tell me....if it aint broke, dont fix it

The Spaz
01-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
i realize we could use a pass rushing d-end, but in reality, what does it matter if we still have the number 2 defense overall, and 2 against the pass as well???

Turnovers!

mypoorfriendme
01-16-2004, 02:51 PM
good point, but hopefully our offense can move the ball this year and so we dont really NEEEED those. i am all for a pass rushing d-end and a upgrade at FS, but it seems like we have bad luck with drafting d ends and we need more help on offense with some speed at wr, and fresh legs on the line

helmetguy
01-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Let's just hope Gray continues on his learning/progress curve. I saw a lot of DL's influence in the D last season, and one can only hope Gray was paying attention. There's still room for improvement-particularly in the pass rush and third down pass defense. The cushion given by the CBs, coupled with the lack of pressure gave QBs too much time to make plays. To me, where we ranked are just numbers; good, but still a lot of room to grow.

Throne Logic
01-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Turnovers are typically a result of what happens at the line.

Pass Rushers force fumbles, force rushed and/or ill-advised passes that lead to interceptions, and deflect passes that also end up as interceptions.

With another Good DE, our linebackers and DBs won't have to spend so much time supporting the DL, either.

This defense was #2 without a pass rush. That is absolutely amazing. Of course, the big weakness was giving up the big play at the exact worst time. This was generally the direct result of calling-off the zone blitzing in favor of pass coverage. The problem with that theory was this: no pass rush was generated without those blitzers, which lead to completed passes because there is not a DB in the league who can consistantly cover a decent WR for 5-6 seconds.

Gray is good. Get another DE to line up opposite of AS and we'll see just how good Gray can be.

Turf
01-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Don't tell me we're in for another year of soft corner coverage playing 10 yards off the LOS. Say it aint so. Somebody awaken me from this nightmare.

shelby
01-16-2004, 06:26 PM
:up: i am pleased.