X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

DB's? FA Corner or draft Safety

We either need to go after a lockdown corner like Bailey or Woodson, or the safety issue will have to be addressed in the draft. Trying to play Milloy and which ever FS we have now would continue to leave the deep routes open because of a lack of coverage skills or ability.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

I always have thought winfield was average, hes a great tackler, but he isnt that great as far as coverage.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

If we can somehow manage a way to sign Bailey or Woodson and draft Taylor, we'd have the best DB's in the league for years to come.

Comment

• CWOUSARET
        • Aug 2003

Winfield is one of the top 5 cover men in the NFL. He is an awesome tackler. The only valid knock on him is he has hands of stone and just does not make interceptions. NFL teams scheme to stay away from Winfield rather than go at him - his copverage is excellent.
        "Creativity is more important than Intelligence."

Comment

• juice
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by CWOUSARET
          Winfield is one of the top 5 cover men in the NFL. He is an awesome tackler. The only valid knock on him is he has hands of stone and just does not make interceptions. NFL teams scheme to stay away from Winfield rather than go at him - his copverage is excellent.
          If you keep Winfield your gonna have to upgrade your safeties, Wire and Milloy will continue to get toasted. The top 5 corners are all lockdown corners who have picks.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• HenryRules
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by CWOUSARET
            I'm sorry ... I just don't see it.

Bailey, Woodson, Law, Surtain, McAllister, Vincent, Buchanon (Phil), Jammer, Taylor (assuming the injuries didn't have a long-term impact), Barber, Springs (when healthy) are all better cover corners in my books. Bly looks like he's living up to his potential, but it's only been one year. As an aside, that's looking like one hell of a FA-signing last year by Detroit.

So for a #1 corner, I'd say Winfield is slightly above average in cover abilities ... but definitely not top 5.
            Last edited by HenryRules; 01-17-2004, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Winfield_26
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HenryRules

I'm sorry ... I just don't see it.

Bailey, Woodson, Law, Surtain, McAllister, Vincent, Buchanon (Phil), Jammer, Taylor (assuming the injuries didn't have a long-term impact), Barber, Springs (when healthy) are all better cover corners in my books. Bly looks like he's living up to his potential, but it's only been one year. As an aside, that's looking like one hell of a FA-signing last year by Detroit.

So for a #1 corner, I'd say Winfield is slightly above average in cover abilities ... but definitely not top 5.
              Ok ill give your first 5. but everybody knows Vincent has slowed these past 2 seasons and was getting beaten like a redheaded stepchild in Kmart earlier this season. Buchanon is a border line pick and b.c he has less exp Id put him below Winfield. Taylor cant stay healthy. Jammer aint done nothing consistently to put him higher. Barber lacks in tackling, and Springs is too injury prone. So maybe not top 5 but for sure top 7.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

Aside from this season, when was the last time Taylor was injured ... 98 or 97? Going 4 or 5 years between injuries isn't injury-prone in my book (after all, Winfield seems to have a big injury every other year). And Barber may lack in tackling, but coverage ability was the topic at hand.

The other ones I understand your points, but will have to agree to disagree.
                Last edited by HenryRules; 01-17-2004, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Winfield_26
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Taylor due to his injury will now be prime for a recurrent injury assuming he even can come back to near form. And yes I misread on cover id put Barber ahead but overall id put him below.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Baily said he's not leaving the Skins. He may have even signed a new contract.

Comment

• HenryRules
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                      Baily said he's not leaving the Skins. He may have even signed a new contract.
                      That sucks ... it was gonna be expensive to sign him anyway ... i think he turned down something like a 9 yr/55 mil contract before the season. I'm also pretty sure that the Skins have said they're gonna use the franchise tag on him if it comes to that.

What about Woodson though? I think (but am not sure) that the Raiders are coming up close to the cap. Maybe they don't have room to tag him?

Comment

• juice
                        • Aug 2003

If we can sign how about going after Woodson if AW isn't signable? UNC knocks #1 UCONN

Comment

• Sparda
                          • Nov 2003

Can you all say...$$$$$$$$.

Woodson says he is clearly staying with the raiders so that option is out.

Bailey on thee other hand with having joe gibbs coming back it looks like he will be tempted to stay.

So it looks like winfield if he wants big money will just get tagged for a 1st rounder and booted leaving McGee to take thee starting role.

Now with all that in mind our biggest need in thee DB's department is the FS role. :shelby:
                          Sparda's NFL Draft & Player Prospects Info Wake Up And Seek The Truth

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Who's going to trade us a first for Winfield?

Comment

• Sparda
                              • Nov 2003

A team that is drafting possibly to the mid to late rounds of the draft.

A team that is DESPERATE for a starting material CB immediately.

Vikings
                              Colts
                              Broncos
                              Saints

Sparda's NFL Draft & Player Prospects Info Wake Up And Seek The Truth

Comment

Working...
                              X