PDA

View Full Version : why so negative?

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 09:02 AM
i haven't been posting much the last few months because i've been busy with work. yesterday i posted a couple times and noticed that many posters here are extrememly negative towards the bills. whats the deal? you seam more like bills haters than supporters. its one thing to critizise...but its another to just post nothing but the negatives and fail to recognize the positves as well. for the first time i didn't enjoy posting on the site yesterday cuz it was like arguing with a bunch of non bills fans. its like some of you forgot that this is a sport...its supposed to be fun! i feel like i'm talking to a bunch of jets fans...if i wanted to do that i'd just start a conversation at a bar here. lighten up! go bills!!!

LtBillsFan66
10-09-2002, 09:09 AM
I agree. It's particularly less than fun when you have people that are on a crusade against a particular player, coach, scheme, etc. Just make your stinking point and move on. Don't create 10 separate threads beating down the same point (e.g. Travis Henry).

The worst thing is that it comes from just a few posters. Seems like a lot but most posters are reasonable.

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 09:33 AM
I LOVE THE BILLS!!!

LtBillsFan66
10-09-2002, 09:34 AM
ME TOO!!!!

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2002, 09:38 AM
I live and die with the red, white, and blue. I have since my Dad used to take me to the rockpile.

I agree whole heartedly. They were going in for the go ahead score against one of the best teams in the league with 8 minutes to go. Had em on the ropes.

Finally I feel I am getting my $$ worth on DirecTV.

JayWood
10-09-2002, 10:02 AM
I Bleed RED and BLUE!!!

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 10:08 AM
i'm not trying to attack anybody...its just that the mood was so depressing on this board yesterday!

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
i'm not trying to attack anybody...its just that the mood was so depressing on this board yesterday!

Paxil, Zoloft, and Prozac for everyone...chase it with some Lithium and we'll all be good to go.

Š
10-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Uhhh, if we take Wys's 10 worst/best posts out of the average would that affect your opinion? :D

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 10:20 AM
it would affect it...but it wasn't one person...it was the whole mood i was talking about....we're mid season! we should be fired up!

WG
10-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Well, I'm certain that I'm one of those to whom this thread is directed. Let me assure you, I'm a HUGE BILLS fan.

Why am I being hard on them? I'll tell ya!

We have REGRESSED since last year. That means we GOTTEN WORSE!!!

Doesn't that concern you NYC?!? It most certainly does me. We were supposed to have improved. I could just bury my head in the sand like some others and talk about how Henry will come around in '04 or how we need to give our defensive players a few seasons to develop.

Have you read the post I made about how far we've slipped in our defensive categories and how many more yards we're allowing this year? If this keeps the trend, next season we'll really be bad.

But there are legitimate questions that should be asked! Chiefly, and you and the rest of the fans should be wanting answers too, "Why?"

Here's the C&P from that post:

Last Year
Yardage D: 21st
Scoring D: 29th
Passing D: 13th

Rushing O: 22nd

This Year
Yardage D: 25th and giving up 28 more YPG on average
Scoring D: 32nd, dead last and giving up almost 10 PPG more
Passing D: 21st and giving up 32 YPG more than last year

Rushing O: 27th, averaging 26 YPG less than last year

So perhaps the question you ought to be asking yourself and entitling this thread, is "Why so Positive?"

Why? Are you that excited to have slipped so drastically on D from last year's debacle of a season to this one? I'm HIGHLY concerned and would like some answers. I screamed that if we didn't get a DT we would pay the price. Apparently I was dead on with that one, eh! Meanwhile, TD and GW assured us that we'd be fine in their new 46 w/ what we had!

Were they lying? Don't they know what they're talking about? B/c they're wrong. If this keeps up, we'll win 5 games again. That's what we're on pace for!!!

Are we supposed to be jumping through rings and hoops just b/c we get a passing clinic on Sunday's? I'm not happy unless we win! Winning we are not, and certainly not in convincing fashion when we do. We are DEAD LAST in points allowed in the LEAGUE, by almost 10 PPG over last season.

WHY?

Sorry! We should not be getting worse. We should be getting better. The only area in which we've improved has been passing, and IMO Ds are starting to figure out how to reduce the effectiveness of that too as we will now start seeing more and more pressure on Drew each week from opposing DLs. All it may take is 1 INT for a score or to set one up and that may pretty much negate any competitive advantage that we have.

But to address the topic of this thread, "why so negative?"

My reply: Why so positive?

Is this supposed to be a Sunday anesthetic that we get that puts us into an early week stupor as we get to watch Drew toss for over 400 yards each week and watch some good catching by our WRs? Or is it something else that's supposed to make us happy?

I think it's the latter.

Cordially

WG
10-09-2002, 10:29 AM
P.S. I LOVE watching the games, will be going to Miami in 10 days to see the Bills there as well as going to the N.E. game and possibly the Miami game. I enjoy the games. But the trend of this team is disturbing. One pass-happy O.C. and a QB who's brought his career to another level are not enough for me to ignore all the other stuff that clearly isn't right.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 10:32 AM
How can we have regressed when we're going to match our total number of wins last season by the 6th game of this season?

I'll bet dollars to donuts we have at <i>least</i> 5 more wins this year then last when all is said and done. I don't know about anyone else, but I measure progress by wins and losses.

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 10:38 AM
why so positive? cuz i'm having fun watching the games for the first time in 5 years! theres no controversy (rj, flutie), and we have a chance to win every game we play.....THAT is why i am positive....i've had enough of the BS since kelly left...we're finnally at the point where we can talk football...and chear for it! its like being back in the kelly years again! i don't even want to acknowledge the last 5 years!

Patrick76777
10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by NoCtUrNaL
I don't know about anyone else, but I measure progress by wins and losses.

DING DING DING

Plus it's only been 5 weeks. we can't compare last season's stats with only 5 weeks from this year. Let's let this thing play out. What good is *****ing about it going to do. We're going to Kill Houston, NO IF's AND's OR BUT's. The O will look great, again, the D will look very good. and we will win by at least 20. 3-3 going into Miami with first place on the line (after they lose to Denver this week). I'm pumped. we'll get Oakland again, in January.

Go Bills.

LtBillsFan66
10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
It's one thing to be a little critical and concerned and talk football and the Bills. It's another thing to go on a tireless campaign.

GO BILLS!

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 10:56 AM
i refuse to let this thread turn into personal attacks! all i can say is that i am happier this season than i have been since kelly left.

Novacane
10-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by BigDoug
Uhhh, if we take Wys's 10 worst/best posts out of the average would that affect your opinion? :D

:rofl: :rofl:

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 10:58 AM
ME TOO!

MissBuffalo
10-09-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Finally I feel I am getting my $$ worth on DirecTV.

You have direct TV and you didn't even invite me over to watch a game???? Shame on you!!!!!!;)

blcny
10-09-2002, 11:03 AM
I love the Bills. I've had so much more fun watching them this year. I deffinatly see improvement. I don't think many of us expected them to be serious playoff contenders. We are a young team, and sometimes it shows. We will get things straightened out. Remeber there are 11 games left, it's still early in the season. Also we have played some great teams(Oakland and Denver). I believe we will improve as the season goes on.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:19 AM
BTW...the one statistic that seems to have as much of an effect on winning or losing is turnovers...when we win the turnover stat we win...when we lose the turnover stat, we lose. It's almost immutable fact...the Chicago game being the lone exception.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:19 AM
"How can we have regressed when we're going to match our total number of wins last season by the 6th game of this season?

I'll bet dollars to donuts we have at least 5 more wins this year then last when all is said and done. I don't know about anyone else, but I measure progress by wins and losses."

Apparently you then think that we have improved on all sides of the ball. OK then. Nothing left to say other than I sure hope Drew throws for 3 TDs and 400+ yards each week, which won't happen BTW.

Also, you say 5 more wins? I'll wager you on that. We're on pace for 6 total and we still have to face G.B., Miami twice, N.E. twice, K.C., and S.D. who's playing good ball.

I can tell ya all now, if by some strange stroke Drew gets hurt, we're so bad that we'll be lucky to win another game! He's the ONLY reason we're even in games.

I was excited earlier in the decade when we had a good team w/ solid coaching and a running game and D that wouldn't quit.

We have quite the opposite now. Just b/c we're "better than last year", one of the all-time worst teams for the Bills, doesn't make me happy by virtue of that alone.

Wins is right. But right now I'd say we'll be lucky to beat the Pats, the Phins, the Pack, the Chiefs. If we're not careful, or if Drew has another off-game or two, we may only win 2 or 3 more games. But to think that we're somehow gonna miraculously pull out more than 4 wins, maybe 5 to finish 7-9 is silly. We have nothing other than a passing game. With the exception of the STs every other aspect of our play has diminished since last season.

That's not good. If it continues, then I certainly think that some coaches at whatever level need to go, that perhaps we should look into changing our D scheme from this daunting 46 that scares no one, or that some other drastic changes need to occur.

Because at this rate, we're not gonna contend next year either. This season is in the tank. To think that we can even compete w/ this year's playoff teams other than in an exceptioon game here and there is silly. But next year's is not in the tank. Yet, it will be if we don't make some changes. Again, one of which is finding our rushing game. The others are making sure our D isn't among the league's worst or even dead last as we are now.

There's absolutely no reason on earth why this should be happening now! None! GW had his first year, the players are all now familiar w/ the schemes etc. There are no excuses.

But if we start next season in the 46 w/ similar players, Henry is our RB, nothing much has changed elsewhere, then we won't improve as much as we need to then either.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:23 AM
Let's hope so blcny!

Let's hope so. But when we can't even improve after 5 games where we play our worst game by far, then I have little hope that more games are the answer.

I think it's coaching personally. We'll see...

BTW, you said you see improvement. In what way(s)? Obviously the passing game is yards beyond what it was last season. That much is obvious. But where are the other improvements and what are you comparing them to?

Just curious since many seem to feel this way. Anyone can feel free to answer that.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:25 AM
P.S. I love the Bills too. I have seasons and plan on going to the Miami games h and a, and the Pats game too. Would have been at the Jets game and another if my knee hadn't gone out. I'm truly and deeply concerned b/c I want the team to do well. Not simply entertain me on Sunday's w/ Drew aerobatical demonstrations.

So far we're a team that has struggled to win and cannot stop teams from scoring more points than we can put up.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Apparently you then think that we have improved on all sides of the ball.

I didn't say that, I said I measure improvement by wins compared to the last year.

I don't care if we rank last in every category of stat as long as we win. How many games have you seen one team dominate another team statistically and yet still lose the game?

Yeah, I prefer we win every game and have the best stats in the league, but if I had to choose I'd take the wins over the stats any day because ultimately that is the bottom line.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:31 AM

Wins is right. But right now I'd say we'll be lucky to beat the Pats, the Phins, the Pack, the Chiefs.

Sure, we'll be underdogs in those games, but if underdogs never won why would they even play them.

On any given Sunday.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:37 AM
It shouldn't just be about wins. You need to look at the big picture.

Would you be happier if we had a schedule like the Bears last year who went 13-3 yet w/ 10 of their wins coming against teams that were 6-10 or worse?

B/c by your logic you would! I would not.

I want a team that can compete in the playoffs. Last year's Bears have proven that they are a fluke and did NOTHING in the POs last year and couldn't compete. During the RS they lost to the best 3 teams on their schedule.

Wins aren't the sole factor. This "oversimplifying" thing has got to stop.

I would rather be 10-6 and have lost 6 games primarily against good PO caliber teams than to go 14-2 against the league's scrubs and make the POs but not be in a position to compete b/c we really aren't as good as our record.

Right now, sure, we've won a couple (2) games. But big deal, we almost lost them as well. We cannot rely on our passing game. The time-tested strengths of any playoff caliber team are a solid D and a good rushing game. After that, solid STs. Passing is last! We do not have the first three components.

Passing teams live and die by the pass. As the season goes on, I believe that now that teams have some film, which will get poo-pooed ala the Flutie-theory, they will better be able to prepare for us. Oakland set a clear example.

Sure Oakland is good. But if the Hawks can hold them to 31 off. points, the Steelers 23, and the Titans 31 as well w/ their weakened and depleted D, then we should have been able to do the same. Yet, we gave up 42 off. points in what should have been 56+ if Rice holds onto the ball a few times.

We may win games this year, but we're still not close to being a team that has the capacity to fare well in the playoffs.

If we're not careful, Houston will play us close in what should be an absolute rout for us! We'll find out exactly how good we are on Sunday. Houston, while boasting a good D, has less than 200 YPG on offense. If we cannot hold them to less than 250, we are not good on D. There will be absolutely no excuse to allow them to put points on the board offensively.

I'm thinking this is gonna be a rout and a boost that we need. But I'm also not counting on anything after last week's game either.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:39 AM

Also, you say 5 more wins? I'll wager you on that.

Besides Houston this week, we'll defiantly beat:

1. Detroit (home)
2. NY JESTS (away)
3. San Diego (home December)
4. Cincinnati (home)

Which means all we have to do is <i>eeek</i> out one more win of the remaining other 7 games to reach five more wins then last year.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:46 AM
I don't think we're in a position to say that "we'll beat" anyone. Here's how bad our team is after Drew! How much confidence do you have that we would even win one more game if Drew went down?

Van Pelt would get absolutely killed in this O and doesn't have the arm to throw downfield the way Drew does. Our rushing game insn't going to help us! Our D cannot be relied upon to hold opponents under 30 points.

We may beat those teams, but beating a bunch of the league's scrubs, if that is all you can say positive, then I would reassess your position that we are a good team.

If the Texan game is even close this Sunday, then I think we need to take a look at the coaching. This should be a 38-10 ROUT! Henry should find his game. The D should be able to shut down an offense that has 193 YPG avg.

If this game even resembles anything close, then you can dismiss the notion that the Cincy, S.D., and Detroit games are gimmes.

Also, Martin is back w/ the Jets and healthy now. He is doing much better. I wouldn't be so hasty to imply that that's a gimme either. If Martin is himself, and Pennington is on, which shouldn't be difficult against our low-ranking pass D, then the Jets can easily put up the 31 they put up against us in Buffalo the first time.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:46 AM
It shouldn't just be about wins. You need to look at the big picture.

The Raiders are, percentage wise, the “winningest” NFL team since they came into the league and their credo has always been, "Just win baby!" I wouldn't mind experiencing their constant success here.

WG
10-09-2002, 11:50 AM
We have Houston, Miami, Detroit, and N.E. before our break. Our break is nicely timed.

During that week there will be much analysis as to how we've done. As of now, I can hope 'til the cows come home, but I just don't see us beating Miami in Miami. I also see us struggling against N.E. for various odd reasons. Detroit can beat us if they play a good game. I'll say we'll be 4-5 nonetheless. I don't see us being any better, but can see us at 3-6.

After our bye week, we don't have a single break on our schedule except for perhaps Cincy in the last week.

Anyway, let's see where we stand then and whether or not our D has shown that it's worthy of the name "D" and not the "opponents 2nd O"!

Drewpac
10-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Wys,

I think you should compare the Bills' stats both offensively and defensively through last year's first five games to this year's first five games. If I'm correct, the defense started off about the same last year as they have this year.
Yes, I admit that the team is not that good yet, but what do you expect them to do? Fire Jerry Gray and Gilbride? Trade for Marshall Faulk, Mike Strahan, Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and Ray Lewis? These arguments are a moot point. The Bills will simply have to make the most of the talent they have this year. I agree that this should start by simplifying the defensive scheme and asserting more of an effort to developing the running game.
Also, I love the methodology you use when attempting to attack Henry but never offer to do the same when evaluating Bryson. You say that they should throw out the Jets game in Henry's stats but, if I'm not mistaken, one of Bryson's 100-yard games last year was against the Jets poor rushing defense and the other was against a very porous Atlanta run defense. To top it off, I think Bryson had like a 50-60 yard run against Atlanta. If you take that one away from his stats his ypc would fall under 4 ypc.
I think what NYCBills was trying to say is that your ridiculous long-winded attacks on certain Bills' players is driving people away from the message board. At least that's what I'm saying.

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 11:54 AM
I don't think we're in a position to say that "we'll beat" anyone. Here's how bad our team is after Drew! How much confidence do you have that we would even win one more game if Drew went down?

Better yet, "whatif" the team plane crashes and half the team dies?

"Whatif" we go to war and a third of the team is drafted?

"Whatif" a satellite falls out of the sky and hits Wilson on the head and his daughter sells to the team to Bill Gates in the middle of the season?

WG
10-09-2002, 11:55 AM
I hear ya Noc!!!

We'll be back. We just need some fixing for now. But we aren't going to get there until we admit there's a problem. This is like AA. We can say we don't have a problem, or we'll work it out, or it'll improve and I'll quit drinking.

But the fact of the matter is that when we've regressed so much from last year when we should have improved in spades, there are issues.

I think being "out of the playoffs" for all intents and purposes will help us start to introspect a little as to what the issues are. Certainly if we continue to play the way we are, there will be suggestions in the media of D.C. and other defensive coach firings and suggestions that perhaps we need to find a RB who is capable of carrying the load.

We know we need a DT. Or at least I think we do. I and many other fans do. I'm assuming the GW and TD now realize that they made a HUGE mistake not grabbing even a moderately capable DT w/ some experience who's not over the hill.

We'll be back though. GW and TD simply need to see things the way they are. TD needs to forget ever having been in Pittsburgh and start looking at players from other teams too. LOL

But if we do this right, we'll be contending next year. If we dick around again, trying to insist that "Henry's our man" and that we can do fine on D w/ the talent we have, and if we don't upgrade Watson in our nickel packages, then we won't contend next season either.

I, as well as you and everyone else who posts here as Bills fans, would like to see us in contention again!

GO BILLS!!!

WG
10-09-2002, 11:58 AM
What if we were playing as well as GW insisted we would be?!

Wouldn't that be peachy!

What if we weren't dead last in D?

What if we could defend against the run?

What if our pass D hadn't gone to pot overnight?

What if we could run the ball effectively?

ZZZZZZZ....

Oh,...sorry boss..., just having a little nap...

:D

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 12:00 PM
i have a headache

WG
10-09-2002, 12:01 PM
Drewpac,

No comments! I've addressed all that. If you think I particularly like Bryson, you're wrong.

I'm just not gonna support a back who by the same reasoning above used to dismiss Bryson, is even worse and w/ a LOT more evidence to prove it using your own brand logic!

NoCtUrNaL
10-09-2002, 12:04 PM
I think the head office did pretty well this past off season to acquire as much talent as they could given the financial constraints which were mostly created by the past administration.

Hopefully, next year, we'll have a little more coin to go free agent shopping and sign those we want to keep. Less dead money to deal with.

WG
10-09-2002, 12:05 PM
You have a headache!

Think about me! LOL

I'm fighting a battle against people who think our team has:

A. Improved over last year other than it's passing offense.

B. a RB who averaged 3.4 YPC and had 729 rushing yards last year in 13 games, and who's doing about the same this year, is good.

C. Can seem to accept that we have the worst D in the game.

Wanna trade places...?

Can you say "denial"!

LtBillsFan66
10-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
i have a headache

It's useless man. Great try though.

I wonder why some other familiar names aren't posting here?

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 12:06 PM
i'm not calling for any heads to roll til the end of the season...i think the players need to gel on defense....

casdhf
10-09-2002, 12:07 PM
No comments! I've addressed all that. If you think I particularly like Bryson, you're wrong.

No way, he's the only guy you ever suggest. YOu give all these numbers about Bryson's YPC and Bryson's speed. Sammy Morris put up descent numbers when he started, Joe Burns was good in the pre-season. What have you seen in Bryson's limited playing time that shows he could be the answer??? You'll pull out all these numbers about taking out Henry's long runs. If you take out Bryson's long runs, then his average is worse than Henry's. Morris picked up about 4 every touch, but never broke anything. Why not try him??

WG
10-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Noc,

The bottom line is that we should not have gotten worse anywhere. Yet, we have. In most places other than STs, who still aren't performing well, just not giving up huge plays; and Drew who's brought a whole new dimension to our passing game which now singlehandedly defines our offense!

I'm not so sure I have a whole lot of faith in our FO at this point to do the best w/ the money we have. We overpaid for a player or two, and could easily have gotten some moderately priced help for our DL, yet that same FO insisted that we would be fine there. Clearly we are not. Moderately priced DL-men were available and got scooped up by other teams for very reasonable prices and we didn't even invite most of them here. Why not?

What does that tell you? Does it give you confidence?

If I see one more ex-Steeler brought in I'm gonna puke! We've brought in how many, and how many have worked out and been good? 0!!

We direly need some DL-men, a LB or two, at least one cover-CB/DB and a RB.

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 12:09 PM
It is NOT only Wys. It is the group think that develops around here.

:calm:

Drewpac
10-09-2002, 12:11 PM
"But we aren't going to get there until we admit there's a problem."

I think that is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board. Are you speaking of the fans or the coaching staff? I'm pretty sure the coaches know what the problems are and are working their hardest to solve them.
If you are speaking of the fans (which I believe you are), what do you propose we do? OK, the BIlls suck. Wow, that solved all of our problems. Why do you find it so neccessary to infect any positive posts/energy on the board with your unfettered pessimism. We as Bills fans finally have reason to believe that we can win any game. To me, that is a huge improvement over last year. We could very well be 5-0 at this point if a few breaks went our way and I know I couldn't have made the same comment last year at this time. I think Wys would be the saddest "Bills fan" in the world if the team were ever to go undefeated because he would never be able to validate his personal attacks against Bills players and coaches. Then again, he would still find a way to manipulate the stats to "prove" his point.

Rebecky
10-09-2002, 12:16 PM
OK -- the positives:

Drew Bledsoe surely is a pleasant surprise, isn't he?!

And even though he's going to end up in a crumpled heap by the end of this season if the D doesn't help him out and he has to keep throwing 50 times a game and the OL keeps leaking like a sieve, at least the up-side is that he'll probably heal by NEXT season . . . . . Ooops -- no good?

Oh, but hey, Peerless Price -- future probowler, eh?

Of course, he's wasted this season since because of our sorry D we have no hopes for the playoffs, and we probably can't afford to resign him next season, but . . . . at least one day when he's the SB MVP with another team, we can say WE spotted his potential talent and signed him and trained him, right here in Buffalo . . . . . Ooops, reality reared its ugly head again. Sorry.

Special teams! No, don't go there . . .

We're #1! In points allowed . . . .

We have the highest scoring offense in the league! Sure, we'll be lucky to finish .500 because our defense isn't even up to low/average standards . . . . But that's OK -- it's really fun to watch our offense this year put us in a position to win every game -- well, at least until our defense takes the field and gives it away again. . . . . Still no good, eh?

Still our future is bright and rosy! Our HC is a defensive genius! A self-proclaimed defensive genius, anyway. . . . But on the positive side, if he stays here long enough and keeps learning on the job, he's BOUND to eventually figure out something about defensive coaching, and then we'll finally have a defense to be proud of, by cracky! No, I probably won't live to see it, but it will happen one day . . . .

HELP ME OUT, SOMEONE -- I STINK AT OPTIMISM!!

"The sun'll come out tomorrow, betcher bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun . . . . . . Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day away . . "

EVERYBODY JOIN IN AND SING ALONG . . . .

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, you're only a daaaaaaay aaa--waaaaaaaaay!"

Was that better?

(Hope I didn't offend you NYC -- I'm only foolin' with you)

WG
10-09-2002, 12:16 PM
We beat two teams that are a combined 2-7.

Sorry, I ain't bitin'!

If we were 2-3 and had beaten the Broncos or Raiders in there, then perhaps this argument would have some steam.

7 of the 11 teams that we play are a combined 25-10 now.
The Jets are improving as we speak w/ the healthy return of Martin and Pennington seemingly playing well.

Detroit and Cincy should be gimmes, but who's gonna stop Dillon and Stewart from having 150+ apiece? Not our D.

Houston, well, we'll see this week. This should be a first-class blowout. Will it be?

Patrick76777
10-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Wys, once again places himself in a win-win situation. Way to go out on a limb there big guy.

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 12:18 PM
:bandwagon

I'm singing.

:patriot:

WG
10-09-2002, 12:21 PM
4 of our remaining games feature the top three rushing offenses in the league.

6 of our remaining games feature RBs that are among the top 7 rushers in the league.

The teams not included in that are N.E. for two games which will be tough and the Jets w/ Martin playing better who lit us up for almost 300 yards in two games last season.

After that, only Detroit and Houston.

It's gonna be a tough haul from here on out.

WG
10-09-2002, 12:25 PM
"Wys, once again places himself in a win-win situation. Way to go out on a limb there big guy."

So you must then think there's a high probability of that occurring then?

Where's all that optimism that I'm accused of not having.

Funny, any other team in the league that is where we are gets hammered by the media. Not us though. We have Drew.

As if pure passing has gotten any team anywhere near a SB win.

Oy!

:rolleyes:

WG
10-09-2002, 12:32 PM
It's funny 76777,

At the beginning of the year, I stated openly and frequently that our not having gotten a DT will have cost us possibly as many as 5 games and I was laughed at.

Well, guess what! It appears that I'm exactly correct on that. If our DL had another large and effective DT opposite PW, then we'd be so much better than we are now it's ridiculous. Instead, we have no D at all. WORST in the league and we cannot keep teams under 30 points generally speaking. And when we do we're only .500, 1-1.

Keep bustin', but until we begin to realize that the only aspect of our game that is solid is the passing game that Drew brings to the table. That's it. And now, there's film available, and it's becoming more and more clear how to minimize the effectiveness of that thanks to the Raiders.

As I said, and I'm very glad Drew is here, but he won't have the 5,500 passing yards that he is on pace for. Therefore, that means that on average our passing game is gonna slow down some. Assuming he'll have 5,000 yards, which may not even happen, that means we'll average less than 300 YPG passing going forward.

W/o those contributions in the passing department, we had better either tighten up our D or give Henry some caffeine pills at the start of each Q or we'll be lucky to win 5 or 6 games this season.

BillsNYC
10-09-2002, 12:35 PM
It's funny 76777,

At the beginning of the year, I stated openly and frequently that our not having gotten a DT will have cost us possibly as many as 5 games and I was laughed at.

i was aying the same thing...i said that we would be a great exciting offense and our d-line would be the achelles heal (sp?) of the defense. i was expecting better play from our linebackers this season...they have not stepped up their game...fletcher has been non existant......that..i am suprised about....the fact that we have one of the worst defenses in the first 1/4 of the season does not, which is why i won't whine about it....

WG
10-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Well, somebody had better start making some waves in the media. B/c we now know that FOs make moves to sell tix, not necessarily win games.

The FO had better address what will win us some games instead of bringing in new and improved marquee players who may or may not be what they were elsewhere.

If we don't get at minimum:

A good solid cover CB, possibly 2;
A RB who can actually find the holes;
2 DTs, one very solid and one at least average;
2 LBs, one to replace Robinson and another as depth;

then they aren't doing their job.

But from what I'm hearing, which isn't going to force that, here, is that the coaching staff may continue to try and force Henry into the role even though he'll have had two seasons of mediocrity (and that's being polite) behind him.

From what I'm hearing the FO/coaching seems to still think that "someone will develop" on the DL.

From what I'm hearing, the coaches are content w/ Watson's "find the WR" style of defensive coverage where he gets beat for game-changing big plays.

Meanwhile, many fans, most fans, seem to think that Henry's fine, Watson isn't that bad, and that there's hope for our DL apart from getting outside help, which quite frankly, the FO should be reprimanded for not addressing this past year.

I guess in one sense you're right. It will be painfully clear in several weeks exactly where our problems lie.

My prediction is that we go 1-6 or 2-5 after the break and that there is some very critical analysis at the bye week when likely we'll be 4-5. If not 4-5 however, I doubt we'll be 5-4, more than likely 3-6. I can't see us winning 3 of the next 4 games.

Patrick76777
10-09-2002, 01:47 PM
"Wys, once again places himself in a win-win situation. Way to go out on a limb there big guy."

So you must then think there's a high probability of that occurring then?

WRONG. Just like with the Drew thing. if you're right, we all get to hear how great you are, if you're wrong, well, you're as happy as can be, because you're the biggest bills fan out. So either way, you win. Congrats, I'll slap you on the back ahead of time.

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by MissBuffalo

You have direct TV and you didn't even invite me over to watch a game???? Shame on you!!!!!!;)

Watch the Bills with the head Lady Trojan? Be still my heart.:pant:

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Wys, repeat after me:

Next year is our year.
Next year is our year.
Next year is our year.

TD is only half done.

WCoastFin
10-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I LOVE THE BILLS!!!

I HATE MY BILLS ESPECIALLY WHEN THEIR DUE!!!!!:banme:

MissBuffalo
10-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Watch the Bills with the head Lady Trojan? Be still my heart.

Good then. I've always wanted to meet a bitter old man with direct tv. :p: