• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouGrant
    The Zone Editor
    • Jul 2002

Debunking the Mularkey Myths

The Buffalo Bills ended their search for a head coach Tuesday night when they offered Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey the head coaching position. Mularkey was a bit of a darkhorse candidate because he was under the radar immediately following the dismissal of Gregg Williams. Mularkey was the last candidate interviewed for the position, many days after some of the more publicized candidates like Jim Fassel, Charlie Weis, and Romeo Crennel.

Buffalo Bills fans, many who have lived through some of the team’s darker moments in history, remain skeptical. Images of team scout Harvey Johnson named coach (twice!) leading the Bills to two of their worst seasons ever. The Tom Cousineau contract debacle – as the NFL’s only #1 overall pick spurning the league to play in Canada, or memories of Chuck Knox resigning in frustration over the team’s constant contract squabbles with players. All this history flood back for the old-time Bills faithful when remembering Ralph Wilson and his tight fiscal policies of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. So when the unheralded Mike Mularkey came along, many rumors and misconceptions followed....MORE...

Get into the Zone
  • helmetguy
    Touch the helmet for luck
    • Sep 2002

Now THAT is objective analysis! Graet article!
    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

This is an excellent article.

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

That's our buddy "Bun-Bun" isn't it?
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• HenryRules
          • Jul 2002

In all discussions about Mularkey, it seems to be assumed that our defense is going to be about as good as it was last year.

I think this is a very optimistic view. While I don't expect a huge dropoff ... last year, our team had 3 coaches that are going to be DC's in the NFL this year. Regardless of the impact one feels GW/LeBeau had on our defense, I still think that's a lot to make up for. I'm glad we kept Gray and I think out of the 3, he's the one I want to lead the Bills D in 2004. But I still expect a minor dropoff next year (I'm not saying they're going to be one of the worst D's in the league, but I don't think they'll be as good as last year)

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
            That's our buddy "Bun-Bun" isn't it?

Comment

• Pride
              • Jul 2002

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

Great article. I agree with every point you made except Weis vs Mularkey. As it turns out, the only coach we got that we wouldn't have had by waiting for Weis was Jim McNally. While I am ecstatic that he is here, I still believe Weis was a better choice.

Coaching is VERY important and let us hope that Mularkey can win what his password code is: Superbowl.

Comment

• zone
                  No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by HenryRules
                  In all discussions about Mularkey, it seems to be assumed that our defense is going to be about as good as it was last year.

I think this is a very optimistic view. While I don't expect a huge dropoff ... last year, our team had 3 coaches that are going to be DC's in the NFL this year. Regardless of the impact one feels GW/LeBeau had on our defense, I still think that's a lot to make up for. I'm glad we kept Gray and I think out of the 3, he's the one I want to lead the Bills D in 2004. But I still expect a minor dropoff next year (I'm not saying they're going to be one of the worst D's in the league, but I don't think they'll be as good as last year)
                  I agree ....

I am not very confident in Gray and his lets play 10 yards of the recievers "D". I would have liked to see someone in here that was looking to get aggresive.
                  www.blzbus.com

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

The one myth that the article didn't debunk was the Bledsoe theory. The theory that we didn't get the best coach, but the best coach to work with Bledsoe. I hope that Mularkey is a better head coach than Weis but I still believe that Bledsoe was a MAJOR factor in our coaching search and how the candidates were viewed. If this is the case, it's scary that our GM will mortgage the Bills future (Both salary cap wise and in finding the best head coach for the Bills) for a QB that appears in the decline and has been terrible in recent years against good teams.
                    Last edited by baalworship; 01-18-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

I don't think you get a coach to work with one player. The NFL is a league where you can't count on a player being here, regardless of who he is, for a long time- unless you give him a mamoth contract (like Moulds) that makes it virtually impossible to unload him.

Bledsoe isn't in that category(yet)-

There were a number of candidates out there - Weis, Fassel to name two- who could fit that description.

And I'm sure you never know what the draft will do- If Big Ben unexplicably falls to 13, the Bills would be nuts not to grab him.

If Drew refuses to budge on renegotiating the November $7 million, I'll guarantee you next year will be his last- regardless if he returns to pro bowl form or not

Comment

• shelby
                        The Vanilla *****
                        • Jul 2002

Dozer is a smart man.

Who knew?

Comment

• socalfan
                          Old Fogey from Cali
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by shelby
                          Dozer is a smart man.

Who knew?

I thought it was pretty obvious.

But when it is all said and done....we will know if Mularkey is a good head coach by what he is able to achieve first in setting up a staff and second the results of next season.

As for TD, well, what has he done so far in the last two drafts? And since this is TD's third hirer of a head coach, we'll now know if he would be better off flipping a coin by the end of next season.
                          Last edited by socalfan; 01-18-2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• baalworship
                            • May 2003

I am actually pretty confident that Mularkey will be a good coach. He is already assembling a decent staff. The question is, with Belichick in our division, will it be enough?

Comment

• Dozerdog
                              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by socalfan
                              I thought it was pretty obvious.

But when it is all said and done....we will know if Mularkey is a good head coach by what he is able to achieve first in setting up a staff and second the results of next season.

As for TD, well, what has he done so far in the last two drafts? And since this is TD's third hirer of a head coach, we'll now know if he would be better off flipping a coin by the end of next season.
                              Take away his best draft year and..

You have to lookk at TD's 3 drafts- not just the last 2. Last year's draft class was very lame- most teams will walk away disappointed. If McGahee is all that and a bag of chips, he retains his genius title. You have to look at the entire crop of talent brought in last season as well- Free Agents included.

Comment

Working...
                              X