PDA

View Full Version : Greg Williams

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Here is a question. Since everyone here seems to think he is doing such a bad job what do you suggest the Bills do with him following this season. Do we fire him and start all over again with another new system? :feedback:

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 12:41 PM
I for one don't think he has done a terrible job and has improved from last year so far.

Judge
10-09-2002, 12:43 PM
As I've posted before, I think he has shown improvement from last year, and the W-L record and the Bills' competitiveness this year reflects that.

His team believes in him, and he believes in them. His M.O. is working. If the team keeps growing like it has so far, he stays.

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I for one don't think he has done a terrible job and has improved from last year so far.

..if the defense does NOT improve and the offense continues to excell and we end up less than 8-8, there will be pressure on Greg to fire Gray and replace him or resign himself.

LtBillsFan66
10-09-2002, 12:46 PM
And if you say fire him, name the new head coach and why that person would be better.

Example Ted Cottrell would be much better. Just look at the wonderful job he is doing with the Jets D.

Cntrygal
10-09-2002, 12:47 PM
:eek:

at this point no. If people actually expected us to be a complete playoff team this year... they were really optimistic.

clumping platelets
10-09-2002, 12:49 PM
2001 shouldn't be held against the coaching staff. Salary cap purges devasted this team..........I'm willing to give GW another full season. TD should be able to bolster the D in the offseason and add more speed and depth via FA and the draft. If the D doesn't show improvement next season.....change the DC!

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 12:50 PM
I agree with everyone so far.

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 12:53 PM
I agree with everyone so far.

Crinoline
10-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Having been to the Raiders/Bills game Sunday I want to know what this mythical 'defense' is everyone here is speaking of. Whatever it is, the Bills most certainly don't have it! I can't put fault on the coaches when a key ingredient needed to foster a winning team is missing from the one at Orchard Park.

WG
10-09-2002, 12:57 PM
So what then, if we end up 5-11 this year, then another 2 wins next season for 7-9 will be good. Then 9-7 the year after?

We're 2-3 and have the toughest part of our schedule ahead. How are we gonna stop the RBs we face?

I'll reserve judgement until at least the bye week as I've stated prior. But as of now, I don't know how Greg can keep Gray around after allowing our D to play FAR worse than it has last year so far. It ain't gonna improve against the tougher Os that we face this season yet to come. So far we've faced 3 mediocre Os in 5 games. We only face 3 more the entire 11 remaining games.

If the D doesn't finish better than it did last year, I say Greg needs to get rid of Gray at minimum. I'm also looking at replacing Fairchild as the RBs coach. Maybe the step up to the NFL was too much for him. Either way, our RBs, who have promise, are not cutting it. Blame it on what you will.

But when you all say that we've improved, I have to question that. We've added so much talent that we should have improved by more than a couple of games and completely ignored portions of our game thru which we could have easily improved ourselves by 5 or 6 games at least, maybe more. Yet, those were ignored. Completely!

At 3-13 it's difficult to be worse or "not improve" based on record only. Talk about creating a win-win situation for Greg and the FO.

But the talk about us going 10-6 or better sure has faded. Most people at the beginning of the year seemed to have felt that 7-9 was the minimum standard for improvement this season. So far, that is in serious jeopardy.

But the aspects of the team are:

STs
Passing O
Rushing O
Passing D
Rushing D

STs has improved only marginally
Passing O has skyrocketed from where it was due largely to Drew's playing the best ball of his life, NOT the coaching
All three other aspects of the team have gotten significantly worse.

I don't see how anyone can say we're clearly improved when those circumstances exist. I just don't.

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 12:57 PM
I am a very agreeable person

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 12:59 PM
I am a very agreeable person

:scratch:

...is it NOT uncomfortable to have a fence post shoved up your...

:flowers:

WG
10-09-2002, 01:08 PM
"If the D doesn't show improvement next season.....change the DC!"

If we aren't 10-6 plus next year, then GW goes!!! Most of the staff w/ him.

Honestly, if we can't improve our D when we have absolutely no serious OL issues this offseason, plenty of WRs to do the job, good TEs, and when all we need is a RB who can run the ball consistently, then it will never happen.

Next year our schedule eases up. We play the Texans again, the NFC East which is not strong other than Philly. The AFC South, big deal. And probably Seattle and Cincy at this rate.

That's a 10-6 + schedule for any team that's at least average. Should be gimme wins: Houston, Tenn., Seattle, Jets, Giants, Cowboys, Skins. That's 8 right there. Splits w/ N.E., Miami, and Indy/Jax, and wins over our AFC N and W opponents would make us 13-3.

We'll have the very unusual luxury of being able to address primarily the defense this offseason the way we did the O this year. If we do not instantaneously jump to at least 16th in the league on D next year, then the FO/coaches didn't do their job.

Signing guys like Teague for $2.5M we shouldn't do again when there's better players out there for less green. Also, we should be wary of signing guys like Fletcher to huge contracts too. He isn't worth a third of what he's getting.

Earthquake Enyart
10-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree with most of what you said wys. I'm not 100% sold on the OL though. We may need a little more help there.

Should have $$ though for FA DL.

Thurm poses an interesting question, though. If the Bills finish 7-9 playing like they have so far, what should TD do? GW is supposed to be a defensive coach. The defense is lousy. Does TD let GW can Grey and bring in another DC next year and go on, or does he clean house now, after this year?

Buffarama
10-09-2002, 01:15 PM
GW's biggest mistake is with the exception of Gilbride, his inclination to hire under qualified inexperienced assistant coaches. He himself is learning on the job, as evidenced by his personality growth from last year. But he's still a frozen rope on the sideline.

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 01:16 PM
Leave it to WYS to be a downer!

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 01:22 PM
Leave it to WYS to be a downer!

Nor is he taking them either. Wys is a perfectionist and loves the Bills without reservation (not where you go gamble). I bet if we had a 16-0 season (correction when we have a 16-0 season next year), Wys will point to areas where we could still improve.

It is just the nature of the beast so to speak.

Rebecky
10-09-2002, 03:04 PM
JG is nothing but GW's assistant -- this is GW's defense.

Would I fire GW/JG? Of course not -- I would never fire any family man who's resettled in a new location. That's just heartless.

Unless things change a LOT in the next couple games, I would demote them 'cause they seem to be in WAY over their heads. Then bring in a new HC, who would, of course, hire his own DC. Maybe promote Gilbride to HC to keep some sense of continuity. What do you think?

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Rebecky
...Would I fire GW/JG? Of course not -- I would never fire any family man who's resettled in a new location. That's just heartless.

Unless things change a LOT in the next couple games, I would demote them 'cause they seem to be in WAY over their heads.

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Well you either have to fire him or keep him. They don't demote coaches in NFL.

helmetguy
10-09-2002, 07:16 PM
I'm still waiting for GW's "teachers" to show up! If I recall, he sidestepped critcism last season by pointing out how HIS defense was #1 in the league the same years ours was #3 (the year before he was hired). Let's see, that year he had Baltimore's, Cincinnati's and Cleveland's offenses to defend against-TWICE each! Small wonder GW was number one!

The_Philster
10-09-2002, 07:22 PM
The funniest thing was when he tried to tell us we'd have a better defense under him than any we'd seen in Buffalo....the year before the Titans were #1 in defense, the Bills were #1....how do you get better than #1?

RedEyE
10-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Personally, I think that TD has improved this Buffalo team. GW's coaching tactics can't truly assesed until after the season.

Rebecky
10-09-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm dead serious -- why CAN'T an NFL coach be demoted, not fired?

I mean, if they work hard for the team and try hard and they're decent guys, but just can't succeed at the HC job, seems only fair to keep them with the team -- just demote them to something they can do successfully. Especially guys that uproot their families and relocate -- well, if they've done their best, seems heartless to just send them (and their families) packing, doesn't it? At least give them the choice to stay in a lesser position.

THATHURMANATOR
10-10-2002, 01:19 AM
yes it is possible but I can't ever remember it ever happening in the history of the league!!! I could also give to ****s about relocating their families!!! This is a business. Do you think that if I was a some great family man but I sucked at my job in the business world my boss would think twice about my family situation???? NO F ING WAY!!!!

Buffarama
10-10-2002, 07:13 AM
Because Rebecky, it for one keeps them from getting another head coaching job, because they basically admit by accepting demotion they're not head coach material. It's a backward career move.
Also, the team and coaching staff chemistry would be too awkward, having the head coach now taking orders in front of all the players as well, who would lose respect for him.
Head coaches take coordinator jobs in other cities after they can't find head coaching jobs, but never in the same city.
These guys make over a half million a year at minimum as well, so I wouldn't worry about making them move, or being hearltless.

Earthquake Enyart
10-10-2002, 08:04 AM
You mean like Wade Phillips? Or KG?

Buffarama
10-10-2002, 08:06 AM
Actually by leaving they can reinvent themselves and be head coaches again.

Novacane
10-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

We're 2-3 and have the toughest part of our schedule ahead.

I disagree WYS. I think we just came through the toughest part.

Games agains HOuston, Lions, Jets, Bengals. If we don't win all 4 of those I will be very disapointed. That would give us 6 wins and I think they can win 3 of the other 7. 9-7!

justasportsfan
10-10-2002, 12:33 PM
I credit our O's performance to Gilbride and TD's hiring and drafting process. GW said he had a direct hand in the special teams during off season and of course the D is his strong side. In those two departments, i haven't seen any major improvements in performance compared to last year despite people saying we have better players on the defensive side of the ball. Moorman and Hollis are the major improvements in personnel but as a unit nothing much.

Is he married to his defensive system? If this defensive performance keeps up than I guess his system isn't a fit for what he's got. I will save part of my judgement for GW til' mid-season. The O is Gilbrides and the D is GW's.

The Spin Rx
10-10-2002, 01:18 PM
He has NEVER been exposed to another defensive system. He came up from a towel boy in the Oiler organization. As *quality control* manager. Gray has never been a coach either (as far as I know). :help:

WG
10-10-2002, 06:06 PM
"I disagree WYS. I think we just came through the toughest part.

Games agains HOuston, Lions, Jets, Bengals. If we don't win all 4 of those I will be very disapointed. That would give us 6 wins and I think they can win 3 of the other 7. 9-7!"

Get ready for disappointment. I don't think we'll win all four of those. The Houston game will be interesting. After last week's debacle against the Raiders, I have absolutely no faith that the defensive coaching staff can hold the Texans to under 24 points or even keep Wells and/or Allen from having a big day.

As long as the Lions, Jets, and Bungals have Stewart, Martin, and Dillon, I wouldn't expect anything. We should have SMOKED both the Jets and Chicago and the Jets beat us. Next time they'll have Martin who tore us a new on last year in two games. Chicago shouldn't have even been a game, yet it was.

Bills fans are way overconfident on the merits of only a passing offense that IMO isn't going to do the job alone each week.

Andrea1234
10-10-2002, 10:22 PM
the Jets that a laugh they are bad we are doing better then them i say keep greg :)

WG
10-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Welcome to BillsZone Andrea!!!