PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we could land Big Ben?

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 04:50 PM
may be far fetched, but throw out some scenarios......

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I want him but highly doubt we will get him. Only way to get him of course would be to trade up to with in the 1st 5 picks.

SABURZFAN
01-19-2004, 04:53 PM
not unless we trade up.i'd rather trade down and get an extra pick.

Ebenezer
01-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Do you know how hard it would be to move that hear from London?? and where would we put it?? :dizzy:

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Do you know how hard it would be to move that hear from London?? and where would we put it?? :dizzy:

are you a wuss?

cordog
01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
The only way is if he has a pretty bad combine and some other quarterback has a kick ass combine

elltrain22
01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Ben Rothlisberger will be a top 3 pick, and unless we trade up, which is highly, highly unlikely, we will not get to chose him. However, there will be guys like Rivers, Matt Shaub, Rod Rutherford, and Matt Mauck available in later rounds, and as we have seen over the last 10 years, late round qb's seem to pan out better than 1st rounders.

TigerJ
01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Not gonna happen. To guarantee a shot at Roethlisberger, Buffalo would need to trade into the second spot. Too expensive.

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
Not gonna happen. To guarantee a shot at Roethlisberger, Buffalo would need to trade into the second spot. Too expensive.

why? what price tag would that be

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, a number of things would need to happen.

Pre- Draft-

1- Bledsoe refuses to renegotiate contract....

2- Big Ben has to slip a little during workouts, and Loseman and /or Rivers need to do great

3- A team like New England needs to covet Steve Jackson or another RB bad enough, and get the Redskins involved- in a "Bidding war" to trade up.

4- Teams like Arizona, Pittsburgh- who need a QB - need to think Loseman is better than Big Ben, or at least worthy of their #2 pick and they grab a need position other than QB with the #1(like a Taylor, Will Smith, Udeze- or a Gallery- or a WR)

5- And we need to get lucky. All other coveted players need to be plucked, and we are unable to find a trading partner.

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Well, a number of things would need to happen.

Pre- Draft-

1- Bledsoe refuses to renegotiate contract....

2- Big Ben has to slip a little during workouts, and Loseman and /or Rivers need to do great

3- A team like New England needs to covet Steve Jackson or another RB bad enough, and get the Redskins involved- in a "Bidding war" to trade up.

4- Teams like Arizona, Pittsburgh- who need a QB - need to think Loseman is better than Big Ben, or at least worthy of their #2 pick and they grab a need position other than QB with the #1(like a Taylor, Will Smith, Udeze- or a Gallery- or a WR)

5- And we need to get lucky. All other coveted players need to be plucked, and we are unable to find a trading partner.

Thanks! possible, but not likley. would you take him if he were there?

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Ab- so- freakin- lutely

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
well put!!!

Ab- so- freakin- lutely

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
guys.. i dont know why some of you are so enamored with high pick qbs.. they cost a ton... the bust factor is much greater.. and there are always tons of other good qbs that can be had in the second round.. this year alone, there are at least 4 off the top of my head that i can think of that could easily be as productive..

look around the league.. how many high pick qbs to you see that are sucessful?

manning.. mcnabb.. we saw what happened to them yesterday.. look at the ones in the superbowl.. a nfl europe guy and a 6th round pick who already won sb mvp once..

i would be so disappointed if we grabbed a qb at spot 13.. even if it was manning or big ben..

ideally... i would like to see us take a guy in the second or third.. maybe someone like losman drops.. maybe rivers is the guy (my personal favorite).. even harris, rutherford, or mauck..

ps.. i hate schaub.. piece of UVA crap..

go VTech. :D

Kolbiss
01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
are you saying you wouldn't take manning??????

Originally posted by Tatonka
guys.. i dont know why some of you are so enamored with high pick qbs.. they cost a ton... the bust factor is much greater.. and there are always tons of other good qbs that can be had in the second round.. this year alone, there are at least 4 off the top of my head that i can think of that could easily be as productive..

manning.. mcnabb.. we saw what happened to them yesterday.. look at the ones in the superbowl.. a nfl europe guy and a 6th round pick who already won sb mvp once..

i would be so disappointed if we grabbed a qb at spot 13.. even if it was manning or big ben..

ideally... i would like to see us take a guy in the second or third.. maybe someone like losman drops.. maybe rivers is the guy (my personal favorite).. even harris, rutherford, or mauck..

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM

T- If Big Ben were there, and Udeze, Taylor, Winslow, both Williams WR's, Fitzgerald, Gallery, Will Smith, Tommie Harris, & Manning were all gone- would you go after him? What if no one wants to trade down? (Like last year)

And you have Big Ben sitting there on the draft stage, , and you are looking at Bledsoe next to you fumbling the helmet-phone handset.

You aren't going to pull the trigger on that pick?

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 06:02 PM

T- If Big Ben were there, and Udeze, Taylor, Winslow, both Williams WR's, Fitzgerald, Gallery, Will Smith, Tommie Harris, & Manning were all gone- would you go after him? What if no one wants to trade down? (Like last year)

And you have Big Ben sitting there on the draft stage, , and you are looking at Bledsoe next to you fumbling the helmet-phone handset.

I'm there soldier I will make that pick in a heartbeat!:up:

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by danny4804
are you saying you wouldn't take manning??????

yeah.. dont lynch me.. but yes.. i would pass on him.

if big ben was still there at 13.. there is no way that there is not a team like miami or someone else that would not give up alot to move up and get him..

but to answer your question.. i would pass on him, regardless..

call me crazy.. there are just alot of other qbs that i think will be just as good that offer more.

losman has an arm that is almost as good, and much better wheels..

i do NOT want another statue qb.. and manning and big ben are both big pocket passers.. i want a guy that can at least move as well as elway.

that said..

my qbs in order of preference are

rivers
losman
manning
big ben
harris
mauck

guys i absolutely dont want
schaub
clausen

Novacane
01-19-2004, 06:08 PM

call me crazy..

You're crazy:sukrpnch:

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 06:19 PM
:stupid:

:drunks:

ArcticWildMan
01-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

You're crazy:sukrpnch:

My thoughts exactly :biggrin:

The_Philster
01-19-2004, 06:56 PM
http://www.oaza-kursy.waw.pl/pict/big-ben.jpg :scratch:

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 07:01 PM
why am i crazy?

do you really think that ben or eli will be much better than losman or rivers?

Bmax
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah we can get him Big ben watson te uga..6-4-255.....rd 3

Bmax

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
Yeah we can get him Big ben watson te uga..6-4-255.....rd 3

Bmax

I want Ben Watson as well I would like to get 2 2nd. Rnd. picks and Snag Rivers and Watson with them. Watson is a TE who is 6-3 255-260 and runs a 4.45 40 yard dash.

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I don't know crap about college football - for me, it's too hard to watch games where you know < 3% of each team is good enough for the pros - but I agree with what tatonka said. If Ben is a pure pocket qb, I say PASS on him. I too cannot stand the thought of another statue getting creamed with the blitz. Even when Travis was in there, I remember him stepping like *5* feet to the right and avoiding it, thus giving him 2-3 more secs. I was like, "gee, so that's what it means to be mobile. Nice." And that wasn't a McNabb/Vick scramble either....I mean *literally* 5 feet was all he needed to get the pass off.

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 08:11 PM
"Big Ben" is a lot like Pennington but more mobility. If he was there at 13 there would have to an obvious reason why.

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
"Big Ben" is a lot like Pennington but more mobility. If he was there at 13 there would have to an obvious reason why.

wow.. you and me dont disagree on alot, but i just dont see that comparison at all.

big ben has a big arm.. pennington does not.. big ben is alot more like drew than pennington... i dont even think that ben is as mobile as pennington is.. and ben is much bigger.. he is a huge huge man.. thus the name.. big ben..

pennington is a bit smaller.. is a bit more mobile.. doesnt throw the ball down the field much, and more less relies on his precision passes and quick decisions to be successful.

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 08:56 PM

wow.. you and me dont disagree on alot, but i just dont see that comparison at all.

big ben has a big arm.. pennington does not.. big ben is alot more like drew than pennington... i dont even think that ben is as mobile as pennington is.. and ben is much bigger.. he is a huge huge man.. thus the name.. big ben..

pennington is a bit smaller.. is a bit more mobile.. doesnt throw the ball down the field much, and more less relies on his precision passes and quick decisions to be successful.

I knew I should have added a bigger arm. I do still disagree on his mobilty though. I have seen him do some things that make me think otherwise. Also Dan Pomei agrees.:snicker:

Dan Pompei analysis
A big, strong passer who moves very well. Can make all the throws. A tough, competitive leader.

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I knew I should have added a bigger arm. I do still disagree on his mobilty though. I have seen him do some things that make me think otherwise. Also Dan Pomei agrees.:snicker:

Dan Pompei analysis
A big, strong passer who moves very well. Can make all the throws. A tough, competitive leader.

well.. i wont pretend that i saw every game.. but i know i saw at least 3 games because i bet against his team once.. and on them 2 times this past season... he made a lot of great throws.. no question.. but i never saw him roll out and chuck a ball.. it was all plays from within the pocket.

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 09:06 PM
i have also seen losman and rivers play, and i am postive that they are both MUCH more mobile.. especially losman.. he can run and give a lick when he sees the defender. he is tough as nails.

that is one of the reasons i like bradley van pelt as well.. he is the best runner out of all the qbs in the draft.. better than harris even. and he has a real strong arm.. he just needs more coaching, although his passing game has taken huge strides over the last three years.. he should be drafted midway through day 2.

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 09:11 PM
I know there are QB's in this draft who are more mobile but I think "big Ben" had the perfect zize, speed, arm ratio that you are looking for in a premier QB.

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
"Big Ben" is an athlete not just a football player.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/mioh/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/roethlisbergerb-h.jpg
<B>Ben Roethlisberger</B>

http://muredhawks.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/roethlisberger_ben00.html

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2004, 09:25 PM
For me, I want these things in a qb (in order):

1. Leadership/motivator. This is crucial in getting the players to rally from behind in the tough/big games. Just look at Kelly, Favre, etc. They are the captain of the offense and need to fit the role.
2. Quick (and good) decision making. Look at all the greats and you'll see how they all have this in common.
3. Mobility. In this day and age, you have to be mobile. Defenses are too big and fast and complex to sit back and chuck.
4. Arm strength. Important for the "big plays", but in the grand scheme, if they have the above three things it is the least important of the above three. *see Ryan Leaf..or even Drew for that matter.
5. Size. Not too important, but is a "nice to have" if he has the brute strength to break away from a DE who is about to sack him. Of course, if mobility is really good then this becomes less of an issue.

Tatonka
01-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by kal123
For me, I want these things in a qb (in order):

1. Leadership/motivator. This is crucial in getting the players to rally from behind in the tough/big games. Just look at Kelly, Favre, etc. They are the captain of the offense and need to fit the role.
2. Quick (and good) decision making. Look at all the greats and you'll see how they all have this in common.
3. Mobility. In this day and age, you have to be mobile. Defenses are too big and fast and complex to sit back and chuck.
4. Arm strength. Important for the "big plays", but in the grand scheme, if they have the above three things it is the least important of the above three. *see Ryan Leaf..or even Drew for that matter.
5. Size. Not too important, but is a "nice to have" if he has the brute strength to break away from a DE who is about to sack him. Of course, if mobility is really good then this becomes less of an issue.

that is rivers to a T.. in that order.. and probably losman in a close second.

Mr. Cynical
01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
That's cool. I looked him up on ESPN to check him out. One question - why the 7-5 record?

Stats on Rivers (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=105812)

The_Philster
01-20-2004, 04:52 AM
That's cool. I looked him up on ESPN to check him out. One question - why the 7-5 record?

What's the rest of his team like?

SABURZFAN
01-20-2004, 06:17 AM

T- If Big Ben were there, and Udeze, Taylor, Winslow, both Williams WR's, Fitzgerald, Gallery, Will Smith, Tommie Harris, &amp; Manning were all gone- would you go after him? What if no one wants to trade down? (Like last year)

chances are that pittsburgh would want big ben.

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 06:56 AM

nc state plays in the acc, which is a much harder cofrence than the MAC.. which big ben plays in..

rivers almost single handedly beat ohio state, losing in overtime, and played all the top teams very tough.

the record is an indication of the overall talent level, but rivers shined all year.

35Pete
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Don't waste a 1st rounder on a QB! Someone like Rivers will probably be available in the 2nd. I'd say grab a WR or a DE with our 1st round pick.

Kolbiss
01-20-2004, 09:49 AM
If a qb that we want is there in the first round we better take him!

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2004, 11:20 AM

Here is Kipers rundown on Roethesburger:

Tommie Harris had 10 tackles for loss -- including five sacks -- and 19 QB hurries in 2003.
3. Ben Roethlisberger (jr.), QB, Miami-Ohio (6-5, 245) | previous ranking: same
Roethlisberger was a wide receiver until his senior year of high school, so he wasn't heavily recruited. But he's emerged as a potential top-five pick overall after a remarkable year. He has great size and surprising mobility for his size. In the GMAC Bowl, Roethlisberger completed 21-of-33 passes for 376 yards and four TDs (and no interceptions). After the game, he declared for the NFL draft. In the regular season, he completed 65 percent of his passes and threw 33 touchdowns (and just 10 picks).

Roethlisberger possesses all the intangibles NFL teams looks for: passion for the game, intelligence, work ethic. Plus, he has great physical ability. In the first game of the 2003 season, Roethlisberger was intercepted four times in a 21-3 loss at Iowa. But he rebounded from that season-opening disaster to play at an extremely high level the rest of the campaign. He has a slightly slower delivery than some QBs, but his release point is fine and he delivers the ball accurately. Roethlisberger reminds me of New York Jets QB Chad Pennington.

He was a former wr in HS. I have watched him play this year and he is far from a statue pocket passer. The big man can move.

The Spaz
01-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR

Here is Kipers rundown on Roethesburger:

Tommie Harris had 10 tackles for loss -- including five sacks -- and 19 QB hurries in 2003.
3. Ben Roethlisberger (jr.), QB, Miami-Ohio (6-5, 245) | previous ranking: same
Roethlisberger was a wide receiver until his senior year of high school, so he wasn't heavily recruited. But he's emerged as a potential top-five pick overall after a remarkable year. He has great size and surprising mobility for his size. In the GMAC Bowl, Roethlisberger completed 21-of-33 passes for 376 yards and four TDs (and no interceptions). After the game, he declared for the NFL draft. In the regular season, he completed 65 percent of his passes and threw 33 touchdowns (and just 10 picks).

Roethlisberger possesses all the intangibles NFL teams looks for: passion for the game, intelligence, work ethic. Plus, he has great physical ability. In the first game of the 2003 season, Roethlisberger was intercepted four times in a 21-3 loss at Iowa. But he rebounded from that season-opening disaster to play at an extremely high level the rest of the campaign. He has a slightly slower delivery than some QBs, but his release point is fine and he delivers the ball accurately. Roethlisberger reminds me of New York Jets QB Chad Pennington.

He was a former wr in HS. I have watched him play this year and he is far from a statue pocket passer. The big man can move.

:bduff: :up::evil:

Drewpac
01-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I'd have to disagree with Tatonka as well. I have seen Ben R play maybe five or six times in college and he has really impressed me with his mobility. He kind of reminds me of Brett Favre. A QB doesn't have to run like a RB to be effective.
Like someone said, even T. Brown gets his passes off because he knows how to move in the pocket. This is Bledsoe's problem, he can't move at all!
Personally, I think we would be insane to pass on Big Ben at our current draft position.
As for Losman, he physically has the tools but I question the mental side of his game. I soured on him 5 years ago when he decided to transfer from my alma mater UCLA after one week of spring football because he was scared of the competition. He was touted as the savior QB for UCLA after McNown and he pussed out after a week of practice because he was afraid he wasn't gonna get playing time over the scrubs we had at the time. UCLA has sucked ever since and hasn't had a decent qb in five years. If Losman was too scared to play at UCLA and opted to play in a conference against easier comp.(Tulane), it makes me wonder if he has the mental toughness to be an NFL QB.

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 01:33 PM
mel kiper sucks a fat one...

that is what i think of his comparison.

the guy is nothing like chad pennington.. i dont care what the "expert" says.

The Spaz
01-20-2004, 01:35 PM

the guy is nothing like chad pennington.. i dont care what the &quot;expert&quot; says.

It's ok to be wrong T.:up::beer:

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 01:56 PM
It's ok to be wrong T.:up::beer:

i have watched enough football to know what i see.. and those two are NOT alike.

big ben has a much stronger arm, and is more of a pocket passer... pennington is a dink and dunk (not in a bad way) qb who rolls out alot.

i may be off on his mobility.. maybe in the games that i missed he scrambled all over the place.. but he is a pocket passer.

:mad:

The Spaz
01-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I agree he has a much better arm than I stated before. Lets just agree that he is the complete package. H eobviously has some mobility he played Point Guard in for basketball and a receiver for football. He's the total package.

SoCalBillsFan
01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
I agree Taonka, Big ben is nothing like pennington.

He is MORE mobile than pennington, with a way stronger arm. Statue? hardly, I saw several games and the guy can make plays with his feet. He is Mike Vick compared to bledsoe.

Still not sure if i want a qb in round 1, but Big Ben has all the tools, and he is pretty mobile.

SoCalBillsFan
01-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Drewpac
UCLA has sucked ever since and hasn't had a decent qb in five years.

You said it, not me :snicker:

But seriously, didn't know there was a UCLA alum on the boards. When did you graduate? And what do you think of dorell?

THATHURMANATOR
01-20-2004, 02:22 PM

the guy is nothing like chad pennington.. i dont care what the &quot;expert&quot; says.

I agree He is a little bigger and has more mobility.

Drewpac
01-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, like any UCLA fan in their right mind, I think that Dorrell sucks donkey balls. There is a mass player exodus going on right now in Westwood. I don't blame the kids either. After what I saw this year I wouldn't send any of my kids to play for KD. I think he could be the Steve Lavin of college football accept for the fact that he destroyed our football program in one year as opposed to a few seasons. He'll get one more season (2-9 or 3-8) and then he'll be history. At least Dan Guerrero made a great hire with Ben Howland. At looks as if things have returned to their normal state with UCLA being a b-ball school and SUC as a football powerhouse.
Props to SC for a great season. You guys will probably own college football and definitely LA for the forseeable future. I wish we had the forsight to dump Toledo and hire a guy like Carroll a few years ago.

Sorry to all of the posters that had to sit through this So. Cal. rant.

Oh, I graduated in 2002.

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 04:53 PM
virginia tech, 1999 baby. :D

SoCalBillsFan
01-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Drewpac, gotta agree on the howland signing. Great pickup, he will get you back in the National Title picture soon. Great Coach. I wish we'd get rid of bibby, but it doesnt look like that'll happen soon. Like you said, looks as if we've reverted back to our traditional roles.