PDA

View Full Version : couple of thoughts

JefftheBillsfan
01-20-2004, 03:46 PM
I've got to be honest, I've been checking out all of these mock drafts, and I'm not really encouraged with the quality of players prjected to drop down to our #13 pick. There probably won't be an OLineman available at the spot, Winslow/Taylor/2 QBs will also probably be gone.

With Mularky running the offense, I don't know that he would want to select a WR. Comparisons have been made, deservingly so of Reed/Ward. We probably already put up with the worst of Reed, and I think he will develop into a solid #2 this year. So unless say a Roy Williams falls to us, I don't see us drafting someone like Reggie Williams who may or may not be a reach at 13. Even if you don't agree, I bet MM thinks he can get the most of Reed. Maybe we'll use a later pick on it here.

Udezee, if still there, may be intriguing, but I wonder how much his stock has rose just because of the lack of any impact DEs this year in the draft and FA. Who knows, make Kelsay/Denney will finally step up. My solution in the meantime would be to bring in a nickel/dime DT who can come in and rush the passer. That should help out the pass rush, while still giving Kelsay a shot. That said, I don't know that it would be a good idea to get someone like Wilfork who would be expected to jump in and play 2/3 downs right now. We might be able to fill this role later in the draft.

What I'm saying is we should either trade up, or down. If we trade up, I sure hope it is Sean Taylor. Maybe a tagged Winfield and our #1? Milloy/#1? Who do you see willing to move down, and what will their price be?

Someone I really like in the later stage of the round is the C out of VT, Grove. What do you think we could get by trading down to the mid-20s to pick someone like him up? With some coaching, I think a replacement for Teague can make our oline top notch. Either keep Sullivan if hes willing to play RG, or go out in FA and pick 1 up.

Any thoughts?

casdhf
01-20-2004, 04:16 PM
You're right, it was too long.

casdhf
01-20-2004, 04:16 PM
But, you're right. I do not want a WR with out pick.

LtBillsFan66
01-20-2004, 04:19 PM
I think McNally can find us a steal for OL in the later rounds - and work with him.

mypoorfriendme
01-20-2004, 05:12 PM
it just sucks because donahoe known for not trading up and i can easily see us trading down if there is not a star who fell to 13. the bright side is that TD is very good at spotting talent in the later rounds (wire, mcgee, etc)

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
I've got to be honest, I've been checking out all of these mock drafts, and I'm not really encouraged with the quality of players prjected to drop down to our #13 pick. There probably won't be an OLineman available at the spot, Winslow/Taylor/2 QBs will also probably be gone.

With Mularky running the offense, I don't know that he would want to select a WR. Comparisons have been made, deservingly so of Reed/Ward. We probably already put up with the worst of Reed, and I think he will develop into a solid #2 this year. So unless say a Roy Williams falls to us, I don't see us drafting someone like Reggie Williams who may or may not be a reach at 13. Even if you don't agree, I bet MM thinks he can get the most of Reed. Maybe we'll use a later pick on it here.

Udezee, if still there, may be intriguing, but I wonder how much his stock has rose just because of the lack of any impact DEs this year in the draft and FA. Who knows, make Kelsay/Denney will finally step up. My solution in the meantime would be to bring in a nickel/dime DT who can come in and rush the passer. That should help out the pass rush, while still giving Kelsay a shot. That said, I don't know that it would be a good idea to get someone like Wilfork who would be expected to jump in and play 2/3 downs right now. We might be able to fill this role later in the draft.

What I'm saying is we should either trade up, or down. If we trade up, I sure hope it is Sean Taylor. Maybe a tagged Winfield and our #1? Milloy/#1? Who do you see willing to move down, and what will their price be?

Someone I really like in the later stage of the round is the C out of VT, Grove. What do you think we could get by trading down to the mid-20s to pick someone like him up? With some coaching, I think a replacement for Teague can make our oline top notch. Either keep Sullivan if hes willing to play RG, or go out in FA and pick 1 up.

Any thoughts?

first of all.. unless you have read a wys post.. you dont know what too long is.. rofl..

good post.

i feel the same way really. unless someone falls to us, i am not that excited about our options.

imho, we wait and see if taylor drops to 8-10.. if he does.. trade up as quickly as possible...

if he is gone.. move down.. which is probably the smartest thing...

this is an EXTREMELY deep draft at alot of positions.. like WR.. like DT, QB, ect.. so an extra 2nd round pick could be huge.. because player are going to fall.. they always do..

grove is the best center in the nation.. he is also NOT a first round pick.. early second is the earliest i would go w/ him.. he is not as good (minimal difference) as faine was last year, and faine went to the browns at number 20.

if we were to trade down.. to say 20... and were able to grab an additional second round pick.. i would be thrilled if we went

carey
grove
rivers

that would be huge as far as addressing our needs.

JefftheBillsfan
01-20-2004, 07:39 PM
personally, I think I'd take Grove over Faine. Thing is, there are a couple of decent centers this year, so maybe if we gambled and tried to wait on him and missed, we could find someone else who can fill in. It's not like finding an upgrade for Teague will be difficult. Not at center anyway.

ShadowHawk7
01-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

first of all.. unless you have read a wys post.. you dont know what too long is.. rofl..

good post.

i feel the same way really. unless someone falls to us, i am not that excited about our options.

imho, we wait and see if taylor drops to 8-10.. if he does.. trade up as quickly as possible...

if he is gone.. move down.. which is probably the smartest thing...

this is an EXTREMELY deep draft at alot of positions.. like WR.. like DT, QB, ect.. so an extra 2nd round pick could be huge.. because player are going to fall.. they always do..

grove is the best center in the nation.. he is also NOT a first round pick.. early second is the earliest i would go w/ him.. he is not as good (minimal difference) as faine was last year, and faine went to the browns at number 20.

if we were to trade down.. to say 20... and were able to grab an additional second round pick.. i would be thrilled if we went

carey
grove
rivers

that would be huge as far as addressing our needs.

THAT would be awesome! Great post! Hopefully a nice, speed reciever will drop to the 3rd and we can get a Hicks type DE in the FA. Great senario Tatonka