PDA

View Full Version : Forget About T.O Bills likely to draft Big wideout williams

Bmax
01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
With the best wr's in years coming out in the draft why are we even wasting conversation on T.O.. THIS JUST WON'T HAPPEN !!!

This is not donahoe's or buffalo's style......Spend all this money on a wr to get us over the cap When you can get a guy who is the same size as T.O AND MUCH YOUNGER....

MY MONEY IS ON WILLIAMS or Clayton who ever is available at 13.......Clayton is a high character guy....6-3-200.....4.47-40
great blocker .....Williams had some character issues in the past but has overcome them and is a strong wideout who can go over the middle and stretch the field 6-3-225.....4.45-40

The combine and indvidual workouts will determine who goes higher in the draft.....

Bmax

Stewie
01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Will they fall to our pick?

ArcticWildMan
01-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Good chance both will be around when we pick.

ShadowHawk7
01-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Wut about 2nd round recievers? I'd much rather get a Udeze/Winslow/Taylor first round

mypoorfriendme
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
winslow wont fall past the browns, taylor is top 5 talent and wont fall all the way to 13. i hope we trade up considering both are huge playmakers and very rare talents

Bmax
01-20-2004, 04:34 PM
winslow and taylor are top ten picks without a doubt...no way will they be there... udeze could be a top ten pick....IT MORE LIKELY CLAYTON AND WILLIAMS WILL BE THERE ..

BMAX

mypoorfriendme
01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
just too bad it wont be roy williams :(

ryguy8161
01-20-2004, 05:37 PM
The two teams I see standing in our way of getting any WR we want besides Fitzgerald is Jacksonville, who will most definately take one, and the Jets.

elltrain22
01-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Williams would be a nice pick, but i also would be happy w/ Michael Clayton.

Bert102176
01-20-2004, 10:16 PM
but as Moulds we will have to wait a year or two for him to develop

Bert102176
01-20-2004, 10:17 PM
I would like someone that can help us win now

Bert102176
01-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Roy Williams is to much of a risk I don't think he will stay healthy

Mr. Cynical
01-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176

*see Anquan Boldin. WRs can make immediate impacts just like RBs (*see Clinton Portis, Domanick Davis).

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176

thank you..

everyone thinks that if we draft a WR this year, he will be awesome.. but reality is we cant even really expect him to even be as good as reed was his rookie year.. 500 yards tops.. in a heavy passing offense.. it wont happen..

if we grab another wr.. we need a vet.. like jackson.. and move reed back to the slot.. so MM can use him like ward/randle el.

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by kal123
*see Anquan Boldin. WRs can make immediate impacts just like RBs (*see Clinton Portis, Domanick Davis).

yeah.. see boldin and moss too.. both of which were tossed into a situation where they got tons of balls thrown to them.. and they are also rare specimens.. i can name you about 500 other 1/2nd round wr picks that didnt do a 10th of what those TWO guys did.

Tatonka
01-20-2004, 11:09 PM
rule of thumb is the 3rd year for a WR to develope in the nfl.. moulds was that way.. and reed will be this year..

i guess you guys have totally given up on aiken, our rookie from last year.. and shaw who played his tail off.

Mr. Cynical
01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
well true...but isn't that the case with 1st round qbs as well? How many of them became busts vs.successful? I think you always roll the dice no matter what.

All I was really saying is that as a rookie, the 2 positions that can provide the most immediate impact are WR and RB, largely becase those positions can rely more on raw talent than knowledge of the game / experience.

elltrain22
01-20-2004, 11:28 PM
of all the posts i have read for this topic, tatonka is right on point. Any rookie WR coming into the league will more than likely be a number 3 or a number 4 at best. Sure Boldin had a great year, but he plays in Arizona. Who else can ya throw the ball to Jason Mc Addley? If we draft a WR first round it would be nice for our future, but i believe this team can win now w/ a DE or Olineman w/ our 1st pick.

Bmax
01-21-2004, 12:46 AM
tatonka ...it not realistic to think that the bills will go out and spend 4- 5 million on a wr....

Why when they didn't even want to pay peerless.

Noway do they get a free agent .. Our #2 wr this year needs to free up moulds by stretching the field.....

I'm sure 45-55- rec with 4- 6td's and 15.0 avg will help.. Remember we are a power running team.....

Bmax

Mr. Cynical
01-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Not sure you can make the fact that he had a great year because he plays on Arizona stick. I would argue that *because* there was nobody else to throw to, it is that much more a testament to how great he is. Reason being teams only had to worry about him and nobody else. Hence he beat alot...and I mean alot....of double teams.

But yes I do agree he is not the norm.

But again I also believe that WR/RB are the only positions that can have that kind of impact in their rookie year. OL/DL rookies can definitely start and help out, but they aren't going to have the same level of impact IMO.

However I do also agree we need *major* help on the lines ... just not in the 1st round. WR or QB would be my choices.

Bmax
01-21-2004, 12:58 AM
One more thought ........some of you want to wait to rd 2.. why ?.. i say we take the most talanted wr available at 13 ....

Unless say a taylor or winslow slips to 13...Also drafting harris at 13 would be a mistake...with pat and sam on the roster...

Some say he could play de .. i question that assumption.. he failed
to impress me in this years sugar bowl......

I'll take udeze and smith over harris anyday.....

Bmax

Ingtar33
01-21-2004, 01:01 AM
RB is the "money" rookie position... its one of the easiest positions to project into the NFL, with only a handful of notable busts (Philips being foremost) to show...

WRs often take two or three years to develop... T is right, of the rookie WRs in last years draft look at this...

Andre Johnson 66 976 14.8 46 4
Charles Rogers 22 243 11.0 33 3

Yeah, Rogers had no one throwing him the ball (aren't you all glad we didn't draft Harrington), but remember, he was graded out as the highest rated WR in a near decade... i know he certainly graded out higher than Larry Fitzgerald.

The lessen? Rookie WRs are nearly impossible to project performance in their rookie year. Just look at Moulds rookie numbers... and that was with Jim Kelly tossing him the ball.

Eric Moulds 20 279 13.9 47 2

In short? Yeah, I’d pay 5 mil a year for TO… much more of a sure thing than any production you’d get from a rookie WR.

Mr. Cynical
01-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
RB is the "money" rookie position... its one of the easiest positions to project into the NFL, with only a handful of notable busts (Philips being foremost) to show...

WRs often take two or three years to develop... T is right, of the rookie WRs in last years draft look at this...

Andre Johnson 66 976 14.8 46 4
Charles Rogers 22 243 11.0 33 3

Yeah, Rogers had no one throwing him the ball (aren't you all glad we didn't draft Harrington), but remember, he was graded out as the highest rated WR in a near decade... i know he certainly graded out higher than Larry Fitzgerald.

The lessen? Rookie WRs are nearly impossible to project performance in their rookie year. Just look at Moulds rookie numbers... and that was with Jim Kelly tossing him the ball.

Eric Moulds 20 279 13.9 47 2

In short? Yeah, I’d pay 5 mil a year for TO… much more of a sure thing than any production you’d get from a rookie WR.

Rogers only played 5 games last year so those numbers don't mean too much. 5 mil for TO? Just as risky as a rookie IMO. Just look at Keyshawn. Big money, big bust. Yeah, he could do better on yet_another_team, so we'll see. But the Bucs got screwed. And TO's ego is the size of a Buick (just like Keyshawn). Personally I don't ever want to see him in a Bills uniform. Can't stand him.

SABURZFAN
01-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
Remember we are a power running team.....

we are????we've only added a HC and OL coach.this OL that we have isn't power running anybody.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
tatonka ...it not realistic to think that the bills will go out and spend 4- 5 million on a wr....

Why when they didn't even want to pay peerless.

Noway do they get a free agent .. Our #2 wr this year needs to free up moulds by stretching the field.....

I'm sure 45-55- rec with 4- 6td's and 15.0 avg will help.. Remember we are a power running team.....

Bmax

i was not implying that because we should not draft a 1st round WR that we should or will get Owens..

Originally posted by kal123
well true...but isn't that the case with 1st round qbs as well? How many of them became busts vs.successful? I think you always roll the dice no matter what.

All I was really saying is that as a rookie, the 2 positions that can provide the most immediate impact are WR and RB, largely becase those positions can rely more on raw talent than knowledge of the game / experience.

i also was not saying that we should take a qb.. in fact i have been saying the oposite.. no qb and no wr in the first round. please!

caveboy
01-21-2004, 08:05 AM
"Clayton is a high character guy..."

I'm laughing considering Travis Henry got caught with a 15-year old, yet turns out to be one of most effective offensive weapons. I think character takes a back seat as long they can play.

;-p

I agree with the sentiment about not drafting a WR in the first round, but not so with a QB. And a RB in the first round? Why? Of all the positions we don't have a lot of questions about or need to fill right now, it's at RB.

I look at TD/GW not being able to keep Centers and Price this past year. Their mistake was assuming they could just replace them with Reed, Shaw or Moulds. Problem is they didn't use them the same way Centers and Price was. It looked like Drew didn't throw as many quick slants as he did with Price.

And as soon as Drew lost Centers as an outlet from the backfield, he was doomed. He had no one to dump the ball off to. (Or wouldn't). Travis was open and waving his arms often when Drew was under pressure, but Drew would overlook him. Maybe he doesn't trust Travis in that role?

Let's see what the OL can do with better line coaching combined with a shortening of the passing game for Drew to help get rid of it sooner. Reed and Shaw will step up and become the short-range go-to guys.

We need a dependable, long-range kicker BEFORE we need another WR.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 09:04 AM
i dont think anyone said that we shoudl take a rb.. except that idjit LOG.. who was joking.

Akhippo
01-21-2004, 04:25 PM
You have to look at the situations. Who would be worth the 13th pick in the first place of the players projected not top 10. Of those what position do we need. DE, DT, WR, FS, OL. Only WR with Williams and Clayton or DE with Udeze seem like value picks. Now if you say that we need ol more than wr you would also say that we should trade down. Same with FS and DT. So if your argument is we need one position more than another you should also talk about trading down. But if you are talking about who to pick at 13, you should be talking about who might slip, or one of the WRs or Udeze.

mypoorfriendme
01-21-2004, 04:56 PM
and dont forget there is always the possibility of the jags trading down and stuff that you can never predict on draft day. who would have though suggs and kennedy were going to fall so much? we are a loooong way to the draft and anything can happen until then, and on that same day that could very well land us any reciever (besides fitz) or any DE.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 05:40 PM
the combine will change everything..

Throne Logic
01-21-2004, 06:39 PM
These debates keep popping up. Here's what I don't get. Why do so many of you feel that we need a WR and a TE in the 1st round?

It would not shock me if we don't draft any TE's. It also would not surprise me if no WR's were taken on Saturday. I think that TD is going to focus all his efforts on shoring up the two Lines. As no team in their right mind would ever trade an impact DE for anything, I foresee TD trading picks around to grab O-Lineman and maybe even Udeze for the D-Line.

It's all about the trenches. With good Lines, I think that most of you would be truly amazed at how good the current skill-player roster is.

helmetguy
01-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
These debates keep popping up. Here's what I don't get. Why do so many of you feel that we need a WR and a TE in the 1st round?

It would not shock me if we don't draft any TE's. It also would not surprise me if no WR's were taken on Saturday. I think that TD is going to focus all his efforts on shoring up the two Lines. As no team in their right mind would ever trade an impact DE for anything, I foresee TD trading picks around to grab O-Lineman and maybe even Udeze for the D-Line.

It's all about the trenches. With good Lines, I think that most of you would be truly amazed at how good the current skill-player roster is.

When they figure out a way to award Fantasy League points for the guys in the trenches, then you might not see as many of these sorts of discussions.

STAMPY
01-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by caveboy
"Clayton is a high character guy..."

I'm laughing considering Travis Henry got caught with a 15-year old, yet turns out to be one of most effective offensive weapons. I think character takes a back seat as long they can play.

;-p

I agree with the sentiment about not drafting a WR in the first round, but not so with a QB. And a RB in the first round? Why? Of all the positions we don't have a lot of questions about or need to fill right now, it's at RB.

I look at TD/GW not being able to keep Centers and Price this past year. Their mistake was assuming they could just replace them with Reed, Shaw or Moulds. Problem is they didn't use them the same way Centers and Price was. It looked like Drew didn't throw as many quick slants as he did with Price.

And as soon as Drew lost Centers as an outlet from the backfield, he was doomed. He had no one to dump the ball off to. (Or wouldn't). Travis was open and waving his arms often when Drew was under pressure, but Drew would overlook him. Maybe he doesn't trust Travis in that role?

Let's see what the OL can do with better line coaching combined with a shortening of the passing game for Drew to help get rid of it sooner. Reed and Shaw will step up and become the short-range go-to guys.

We need a dependable, long-range kicker BEFORE we need another WR.

wat 15 year old? henry pulled an r kelly? is this true.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
wat 15 year old? henry pulled an r kelly? is this true.

henry picked up a girl at a gas station.. the girl lied to him, and they went back to his place and had sex.. it later turned out that the girl was a run away from a detention center.. and she was 15, but openly admited to lying to him and saying she was 18... henry was 21 at the time.. he was a rookie when it happened. no charges were pressed.

STAMPY
01-21-2004, 11:01 PM
hey caveguy...he didn't kno thats not bad character and no charges were pressed

caveboy
01-22-2004, 07:08 PM
"hey caveguy...he didn't kno thats not bad character and no charges were pressed"

Cool. Next time I'll just tell the cops she said she was 18.

;-)

It's a good thing he can read defenses better than he can dates.

My point was character, or lack of it, doesn't always mean success or failure on the field.

Lawrence Taylor. Mercury Morris. Michael Irvin. Pete Rose. Magic Johnson. Kolby Bryant, and so on...