X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Winfield or Clements franchise DB

If $ becomes the major issue with Winfield do you break the bank or look to the future?

Winfield's a liability in coverage, aside from overaggressive technique, his overall size has to be an issue. Taller recievers such as Miami's pose a problem on corner routes as well as exploit suspect safety play.

Winfield's size or brick hands or something keep him from making the big pick. Two Intercepts in like two seasons is a detriment to the team at the corner position.

Clement's big play ability is apparent, he puts himself in good position to make a play on EITHER the ball or the player.

Clement's combination of soft hands, quickness to the ball and flat out speed make him a threat to take a pick back the distance any time he is thrown at.

Nate is the future of this defensive backfield, he has the tools and the natural instincts to play the position at a high level, and to more importantly continue to progress.

We might do well to bring in some size at corner if Winfield vacates for Washington. Bobby Taylor looked to be back to near form in the playoffs as well as Vincint, both are free agents.

Whether Winfield stays or not TD had better not forget who the true defensive stud corner is and expect to have to shell out some top Five #'s to keep him. Nate is a big time player who you can expect in his third year with free agency coming up, will play to that big time pay level. Expect Nate to have a Pro Bowl caliber season. ACC GT over WAKE UPSET?

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • zone
    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
    • Oct 2003

Obviosly clements man, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

Clements is a cover corner and a pretty good tackler.

Winfield can tackle, but can not cover worth *****

There are plenty of good cover DB available.
    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by zone
      Obviosly clements man, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

Clements is a cover corner and a pretty good tackler.

Winfield can tackle, but can not cover worth *****

There are plenty of good cover DB available.
      So do you pay Winfield this year or go after a Bobby Taylor who wont be looking for top corner #'s coming off injury, and make sure you keep Clements Big play ability around next year?

It's not just discussion its also strategy. ACC GT

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

Vincent (13 yrs) and Taylor (10 yrs) are getting long in the tooth and would be, at best, a stop-gap measure if Winfield signs elsewhere. Terrence McGee did well in his rookie year, and gained considerable experience in the process. That could be what TD was thinking when he drafted him in the fourth round last year. Why not commit our FA expenditures to the positions where we have glaring needs? OG or C in particular.
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• zone
          • Oct 2003

I get rid of winfield now. He is not only a terrible coverage reciever, he is only worried about himself and his stats rather than the team and wins.

I think he is the best tackling corner in the league, maybee he missed his calling. SS maybee?
          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Ty Law will be released...bring him here...say bye-bye to Winfield.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• zone
              • Oct 2003

T.McGee is one of the best players on this team. and he is only a rookie!
              www.blzbus.com

Comment

• zone
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                My thoughts exactly, him and milloy are friends and work very well togather, he whould be a huge boost for this team!
                www.blzbus.com

Comment

• juice
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                  Law is a Baller and didn't seem too thrilled with the Milloy situation, with him being the cornerstone of that Defense, you dont think NE will go ahead and pay him?

Comment

• zone
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by juice
                    Law is a Baller and didn't seem to thrilled with the Milloy situation, with him being the cornerstone of that Defense, you dont think NE will go ahead and pay him?
                    They can't afford him. They are already in cap trouble....
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• elltrain22
                      • Sep 2003

If i had to choose i would choose Clements. Nate Clements, in my opinion, is on the verge of becoming one of the great corners in the league, but there has always been something just holding him back. I do want to see Winfield in a bills unie next year, but i really would wholeheartedly except the idea of getting rid of Winfield and signing Ty Law.
                      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Billsbabee

Keep Clements. Winfield can go, Law would be sweet

Comment

• saviorbledsoe
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Jul 2003

I wouldnt be surpsised to see TD trying to extend Clements' contract this offseason.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

There are a lot of good FA CB's this year. No need to break the bank for Winfield. If we could get him back at a decent price, I'm all for it. If we're gonna spend big bucks, get McAllister.

Comment

• juice
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
                              I wouldnt be surpsised to see TD trying to extend Clements' contract this offseason.
                              That might be a good idea, because if he has another season like '02 I could see his price jumping dramatically.

Comment

Working...
                              X