PDA

View Full Version : What about Josh Reed??

elltrain22
01-21-2004, 10:05 AM
It is my sincere hope that this guy can finally prove himself in the NFL. MM did have success at turning Plaxico Burress into a good WR, who's to say that he couldn't do the same for Reed. We all saw, briefly, that Reed does possess the potential to be and effective go to reciever, the question is can he ever become consistent?

zone
01-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Reed is a good reciever da%n good, but slot reciever only I think.

zone
01-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by elltrain22
the question is can he ever become consistent?

he was in 2002 he never droped balls, all throught his college career too he was automatic. I think the pressure was too much for him last year.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 10:24 AM
he didnt play well early.. but snapped out of it.. then drew started playing so bad that it didnt matter..

reed will be fine.. he is a good young prospect.. we cant expect him to be moulds in year two... he will be great this year.. mark it down.

hopefully we will see some more of aiken too.. he was starting to look decent before he got hurt.

zone
01-21-2004, 10:42 AM
I think aiken blew it..... I would like to see more of Coleman.

juice
01-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by zone
he was in 2002 he never droped balls, all throught his college career too he was automatic. I think the pressure was too much for him last year.

He progressed during the season after a shakey start, he became more dependable as an option across the middle. Ability to catch the ball in traffic is invalueable but isn't the same as a deep threat.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 10:47 AM
I think aiken blew it..... I would like to see more of Coleman.

.. are you kidding me???

a fourth round WR blew it by getting hurt after playing well in several games?

glad you arent the gm..

so i guess your ready to cut him now? rofl..

coleman blew it by not beating out aiken even though he has been in the system here for a few years.

Jan Reimers
01-21-2004, 10:53 AM
When you think about it, we have 2 young recievers with great potential in Reed and Aiken - maybe we don't draft a WR in the 1st round, but see if MM and Clements can develop these guys.

zone
01-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Every time I can rember aiken being in there and we needed a big play he dropped the ball. I think the oposite happened with coleman. Maybee it just seemed that way.....

Originally posted by Tatonka
.. are you kidding me???

a fourth round WR blew it by getting hurt after playing well in several games?

glad you arent the gm..

so i guess your ready to cut him now? rofl..

coleman blew it by not beating out aiken even though he has been in the system here for a few years.

juice
01-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Every time I can rember aiken being in there and we needed a big play he dropped the ball. I think the oposite happened with coleman. Maybee it just seemed that way.....

They both played OK neither showed anything special. Might be time tobring in some competition. Orande Gadsten from Miami is a baller.

THATHURMANATOR
01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
I say we need to get another big time receiver to compliment Moulds and Reed and to replace Moulds in a few years. We all saw how well our O worked with Peerless in here and how bad it was without him.

zone
01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by juice
They both played OK neither showed anything special. Might be time tobring in some competition. Orande Gadsten from Miami is a baller.

is he even a starter there anymore?

helmetguy
01-21-2004, 11:28 AM
If we're going to bring a "big time " WR, wouldn't you expect that we'd have to pay him "big time" bucks, too? It may sound like doing business on the cheap but, a lower profile WR might be a better option in that what is saved on the WR can be used elsewhere, to address other needs; no to mention depth.

Devin
01-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
reed will be fine.. he is a good young prospect.. we cant expect him to be moulds in year two... he will be great this year.. mark it down.

Agreed, i have always been high on Reed think hes a great prospect and will be an excellent #2 guy.

Remember lads it takes a couple years to develope most the time but when he does.......watch out.

ryven
01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
I am still trying to figure out why Josh cant play the slot and still be the #2 reciever? A. Reed played slot and he was our #1 guy.

juice
01-21-2004, 12:43 PM
is he even a starter there anymore?

I think they deactivated him at one point(Gadsen), But he shined in the arena league and made clutch circus catches two years ago. He could be bought in to push Reed or as an insurance policy. You still need a deep threat but this guy is a true possesion reciever.

elltrain22
01-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I would love to see josh reed excel b/c he is a good guy, and you like to see good things happen to respectable guys. Sam Aiken will hopefull y turn into something. He has progressed from a 71 to an 83 on my Madden franchise, but this doesn't mean i believe that madden imitates reality

The Spaz
01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
I would really like to see us get Darrell Jackson and have him on the outside then put reed in the slot. That would be a pretty good WR corps IMO.

Demon
01-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Josh Reed didn't play that bad. He started really slow but ended the season on a good note. Every WR takes a few years to get into his prime, took Eric Moulds 3 years to get it, took Hines Ward like 4 years until he became a star. Give Reed some time, i think he is still a very solid #2 WR and will become much better in Mularkey's system.

The_Philster
01-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ryven
I am still trying to figure out why Josh cant play the slot and still be the #2 reciever? A. Reed played slot and he was our #1 guy.

I've been wondering the same thing. :idunno:
Originally posted by Demon
Josh Reed didn't play that bad. He started really slow but ended the season on a good note. Every WR takes a few years to get into his prime, took Eric Moulds 3 years to get it, took Hines Ward like 4 years until he became a star. Give Reed some time, i think he is still a very solid #2 WR and will become much better in Mularkey's system.
This will be Reed's 3rd year...maybe he'll come on like gangbusters.

HenryRules
01-21-2004, 05:16 PM
I think we need to be a playoff team this year and would be much more enthusiastic about our chances if I didn't keep hearing the phrase "I hope our #2 pans out and comes into his own this year". I say we offer Jackson, Northcutt, or whichever other solid receiver is out there, a 2-year contract, and sign the best one we can get for that length. That way, if Reed shlts the bed this year and next, we can work on re-signing the other guy. On the other hand, if Reed improves, then we've only committed to two years. I doubt that we can have our pick of the FA receivers while only offering 2 years, but I'm sure that we'll be able to get a solid one after the first bunch of signings.

Mr. Cynical
01-21-2004, 10:20 PM
You can bet the farm that Reed will have a breakout year this year IF MM/TC can get Drew, the OL and another WR in place.

I like his tenacity and his RAC yards. But I do think he is more suited to the slot than flanker. If they can get a solid speed guy in there, I say Reed will have gaudy numbers over the middle.

Tatonka
01-21-2004, 10:24 PM
ala hines ward.. who didnt break out till year 4... right about the time that mularky took over.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12795

juice
01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
What happened to Plaxico down in Pitts?

shelby
01-22-2004, 04:45 AM
i think Bobby Shaw would be an excellent #2 WR.
:D

Scott
01-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Reed's numbers in his second year were better than Peerless Price, give the guys some time before you write him off.

Kelly The Dog
01-22-2004, 08:55 AM
I heard Moulds interviewed saying he was thrilled with Mularkey because he moves the receivers around and switches them. He puts a lot in motion so they can get away from the bumps at te line, and Moulds wasnt happy with always being on the outside, stationary, where teams could find him. Mularkey is known for making good match-ups for his receivers with a little creative flair in how the plays are run (and this isnt the fancy stuff or trick plays, just movement and disguise). The other guy who likely will benefit is Shaw, whom Mularkey had in Pitts and likes MM a lot. MM already knows Shaw's strengths and weaknesses.

R. Rich
01-22-2004, 10:16 AM
It is my sincere hope that this guy can finally prove himself in the NFL. MM did have success at turning Plaxico Burress into a good WR, who's to say that he couldn't do the same for Reed. We all saw, briefly, that Reed does possess the potential to be and effective go to reciever, the question is can he ever become consistent?

What about Reed? C'mon now! You saw the games last year, didn't you? He sucks! He's not a good WR. He's not as fast as Peerless Price. What's that? Give him the same benefit of the doubt that everyone wants to give Drew? See what he can do with a better coaching staff and better personnel up front? Nah. No need for that. Reed won't be able to bounce back like Bledsoe will. He's only going into his 3rd pro season and may be able to have a breakout year like Peerless did, you say? Nah. If a WR doesen't play well after 2 seasons, he's done. There's no chance he'll be able to turn it around.

elltrain22
01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I saw all the games, but I did see the Washington game ( where he had 8 catches for over 100 yds ), i did see him put up numbers vs. Jacksonville, k.c., houston, and the NYjets. On the other hand, there was the Phily game, the NE game ( 1st one ), both miami games, etc. He has potential, but what i am saying is I haven't thrown the towel in on the guy like some people, such as yourself, has. Reed might turn into a good receiver. I totally disagree w/ you that just b/c had 2 subpar seasons, he has no chance to ever turn it around. That is very negative, and i believe in Reed, and hope that he can turn it around. YOu could be right though, but let us not loose all our hope just yet.

R. Rich
01-22-2004, 11:06 AM
I saw all the games, but I did see the Washington game ( where he had 8 catches for over 100 yds ), i did see him put up numbers vs. Jacksonville, k.c., houston, and the NYjets. On the other hand, there was the Phily game, the NE game ( 1st one ), both miami games, etc. He has potential, but what i am saying is I haven't thrown the towel in on the guy like some people, such as yourself, has. Reed might turn into a good receiver. I totally disagree w/ you that just b/c had 2 subpar seasons, he has no chance to ever turn it around. That is very negative, and i believe in Reed, and hope that he can turn it around. YOu could be right though, but let us not loose all our hope just yet.

Not much for sarcasm, huh?

The reason I posted that was so people could see how hypocritical it is to say "give Bledsoe a chance with a new OL, new coaching staff, etc." then turn around and say "Josh Reed can't get it done" or "we need another WR". If Reed really can't cut it with a better OL and coaching staff (and, as a result, a better Bledsoe), then maybe we will need to look elsewhere. My point is, if Bledsoe deserves the benefit of the doubt, so does Reed.

elltrain22
01-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Sorry bout that R.Rich. It is not that i don't take saracasm well, but i can tend to take things to literally at times. In hindsight, i now do see your point, and it is a valid arguement.