PDA

View Full Version : A proposed defensive change

Sennsai
10-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Here is an idea that I think GW needs to take a look at.

Move Wire to OLB in place of Newman. Play EITHER Jenkins or move Driver over to play at SS. I think Wire at LB is a big improvement than Newman and I think Jenkins or Driver would do ok at SS.

Newman has 7 tackles in 5 games. He's a waste on the field. Some might say Wire isn't big enough to play LB. Well, truth be told that more and more teams are going with smaller guys(220-230) for LB because of their speed and strength. In general you are seeing DL getting smaller and quicker, but strong upper body. Same goes for LB. Defensive speed is the new thing now and we aren't just talking DB's being fast. Wire ran a 4.5 at the combine and benched 225lbs at 28 reps(the most of Safety's and RB's). His max bench is something like 426lbs, few on the team can say that. He has the power to shed blockers and the speed we need at LB. He lead the team in tackles at college his junior year after learning the LB position in 10 days. Can he play LB in the NFL, absolutely. Can Newman?? Apparently not. Can Jenkins or Driver play SS, sure.

Personally, I think Wire will be just fine at SS, give him some time. He never played one college game in the secondary, so he's gonna make mistakes, but he will also do quite well for the most part. GIVE HIM TIME TO GET COMFORTABLE WITH THE PASS COVERAGE. He played pretty well the first couple of games, then struggled against Oakland(the best offensive team in the NFL, and yes better than us), let's see how he does after Oakland. My money says he will be just fine.

:monte: "eeeeexcellent"

THATHURMANATOR
10-09-2002, 05:43 PM
wire is like 200 pounds he would get pummeled at linebacker

Sennsai
10-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Wire is 210-215.. listed at 210. Pummeled.. I think not.

Ian Gold of the Broncos is 220... couple other guys are 220 as well.

Ð
10-09-2002, 05:46 PM
You need to be at LEAST 245 to play LB, especially on a cold-weather team.

Creemoredrinker
10-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by BigDoug
You need to be at LEAST 245 to play LB, especially on a cold-weather team.

:bigwave:

...I like Newman and just think he has NOT been used properly. Let him blitz when he wants to.

:fabulous:

TigerJ
10-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Newman doesn't have many tackles because he hasn't gotten much playing time. Teams playing against us have used a lot of 3 WR sets. Most of the season that means Newman has been pulled in favor of a third CB. That's why we've seen so much of Watson. Supposedly this last game they were going to leave Newman in and line him up as a DE. Ahanotu would move inside and Edwards would come out of the lineup. I got the impression it didn't actually happen much.

venis2k1
10-09-2002, 07:35 PM
newman is a hungry young guy. he is better than alot of people here give him credit for. he is better than robinson IMO. And i agree wire would be blown away at LB.

casdhf
10-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Maybe Robinson...not Newman

WG
10-09-2002, 09:06 PM
You wanna fix the D?

We need 2 DTs that can play at a high level.
1 DE the same.
Get rid of Watson or ensure that he rarely sets foot on the field. Addition by subtraction.
Can Robinson. He's finished.

That will fix the D.

Oh yeah, start doing something other than this 46 barring those talent upgrades.