PDA

View Full Version : Bobby April

Throne Logic
01-21-2004, 06:48 PM
What do we know about Bobby? He's been in St. Louis recently. They obviously were not thrilled with his abilities. What makes him good enough for Buffalo if not for St. Louis?

Anyone?

Doc
01-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Same question then for Rodriguez, Bates, and Avezzano. I don't know, who else do you turn to, a college coach?

Gunzlingr
01-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Rams Fan told me he was glad he was gone. :idunno:

casdhf
01-21-2004, 07:20 PM
From what I heard, the Special Teams coach of the Rams didnt do anything. The defensive coordinator, Lovie Smith, was working with them. They were not very good either way. But, I dont understand why the special teams coach wasn't allowed to coach?

helmetguy
01-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
From what I heard, the Special Teams coach of the Rams didnt do anything. The defensive coordinator, Lovie Smith, was working with them. They were not very good either way. But, I dont understand why the special teams coach wasn't allowed to coach?

There aren't a lot of HCs around the league that put much emphasis on STs (except for FG's), so they end up stocking the units with backups and rookies. Then, to make matters worse, ST drills are always held after the position players on them are done working with their respective units. Judging from what i've seen of Martz, it's likely he didn't want to bother with STs at all; they took away from his "greatest show on turf" philosophy.

socalfan
01-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Then it sounds as if he has no experience coaching special teams.....or Mularkey also isn't interested in special teams.

The_Philster
01-21-2004, 09:01 PM
He's been coaching special teams since 1991...Atlanta, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, and St. Louis. He's usually been well-thought of from what I've heard. :idunno:

The Spaz
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
Then it sounds as if he has no experience coaching special teams.....or Mularkey also isn't interested in special teams.

I don't think that at all. I think that he does have special teams coaching (obviously) he got the job in 2 or 3 other places and during his stop in St. Louis the HC wasn't interested in that aspect in the game so Bobby April was probably glad to get out of there and go where he can actually coach.

socalfan
01-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I don't think that at all. I think that he does have special teams coaching (obviously) he got the job in 2 or 3 other places and during his stop in St. Louis the HC wasn't interested in that aspect in the game so Bobby April was probably glad to get out of there and go where he can actually coach.

This whole thread strikes me as really odd.

What coach isn't interested in special teams? I would say all of them are interested. And if Martz put Lovie in charge of some of the special teams activities then I think this shows he was interested in special teams.

Another poster commented that April wanted more starters on special teams....but that isn't the standard now if it ever was.

So something is going on here.....I wonder if April will ever get an inteview by the press so that we get the story.

Demon
01-21-2004, 09:22 PM
The special teams can't get any worse so i guess it's ok.

Pride
01-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Demon

How soon you forget Jake Arians haha

Dozerdog
01-21-2004, 11:32 PM
Anything Martz meddles in has got to suck

TigerJ
01-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I think it happens with some frequency in the NFL: the head coach is not very committed to special team excellence, does not provide the players needed to excell, doesn't allow enough time for adequate practice, then when special teams suck fires the ST coach as a scapegoat.

Voltron
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Demon

:huh: :eek:

What are you talking about??? On Punt returns only this year were we below the top 1/2 of the league.

They gave up NO TDs on either Punt or Kickoff returns (And we played against Dante Hall!), The Kickoff return team was ranked in the top half, and our punt coverage team blocked more punts this year than in any previous season by a bills team!

Do you watch this team at all? :scratch:

BigZ
01-23-2004, 08:42 AM
I heard an interview with a St. Louis sports radio guy on WNSA yesterday and he said that Martz wouldn't let April use any of the regulars or second teamers on coverage units.

He studied the tv tapes of the eighth (?) game and found that the guys on the coverage units had appeared in an average of less than 3 of the previous games. In other words, Martz gave him the guys sitting on the bench, whoever they were, and switched them pretty much every time. You can't get any consistency if that's how you treat special teams.

Special teams will perform based on the philosophy and priority the head coach gives to special teams.

samhain1961
01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I say give the guy a chance.
He's been around the league a long time & was apparently well thought of before his tenure with the Rams, so it's not as if he's some sort of a Ronnie Jones clone.

RAMS FAN
01-23-2004, 09:06 PM
the special teams this year sucked for us we gave up way to many yards. I still say Martz is a idiot.

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 09:10 PM
I agree Martz is an idiot!:up: