• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Pats fans still cant breathe easy

Not only do they have to play the very underrated Panthers on Feb. 1st for the SB, but they also must worry about and his Oakland Raiders taking either OC Charlie Weis or DC Romeo Cromell as their next coach after a deal with Payton broke down.

Wouldnt it be funny if they took both of them? Not likely to happen but god would I love it...

The agreement between Sean Payton and the Raiders that would have made him Oakland's new head coach has broken off, and there are strong indications that Payton has decided to stay with the Cowboys as an assistant head coach.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Go Raiders..........

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Please take Romeo Crennel! He's the real guy in charge of that defense and his brains are part of the reason that they stopped Manning.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

The only way the Raiders could take both is if Crennel is made HC and Weis decides to be his OC (Weis contract expires after the Super Bowl, but he reportedly is close to an extension with the Pats). Crennel is under contract through 2006 and can't leave the Pats unless offered a HC job.

You are right that Crennel would be the biggest loss. He is very underrated in what he brings to the team, and his arriving in 2001 to serve as a buffer between Belichick and the defensive players was a key component to the success the Pats have enjoyed.

Weis, though a sound coach, wouldn't be a huge loss. While he does a good job developing talent, he isn't a great playcaller. The Pats have more experience on the offensive staff as well, including asst. HC Dante Scarnecchia (who Belichick raves about as a coach).

There is a chance the Pats could lose an assistant off their staff. QB coach John Hufnagel reportedly is under considering for OC of the Giants. Hufnagel coached under Coughlin for Jacksonville. Also, LB coach Pepper Johnson reportedly will receive some consideration as DC in Chicago under Lovie Smith. However, he isn't considered a top candidate for the job.

It is inevitable that the Pats staff will be broken up some in the near future. Part of the price for success in the NFL is that the staff finds opportunities elsewhere and leaves. Hopefully, the Kraft-Belichick-Pioli leadership will remain in place and allow for some stability.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

I think that Romeo Crennel is the best bet to go to Oakland. Al Davis seems to like hiring the black coaches, and their defense needs to be fixed.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Davis traditionally has gone with offensive coaches, though. His interest in Peyton was because he has a reputation of being innovative with the use of different sets and motions, similar to Gruden. I could see him being interested in Weis for the same reason, as Weis does a lot of non-traditional things.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
              Davis traditionally has gone with offensive coaches, though. His interest in Peyton was because he has a reputation of being innovative with the use of different sets and motions, similar to Gruden. I could see him being interested in Weis for the same reason, as Weis does a lot of non-traditional things.
              I'm just hoping he goes after Crennel. He will be the biggest loss to your team.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Didn't Crennel just sign a 3year extension with the Pats? Why would he sign the extension if he wanted to look at a HC job?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

He signed a 3-Yr extension as a coordinator. He can leave to become a HC.

Comment

• helmetguy
                    Touch the helmet for luck
                    • Sep 2002

I would love it if Crennel and Weis BOTH snub Davis! It's about time that smug, cocky, litigious bastard tastes some of the **** he serves up to the league.
                    Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
                    And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by helmetguy
                      I would love it if Crennel and Weis BOTH snub Davis! It's about time that smug, cocky, litigious bastard tastes some of the **** he serves up to the league.
                      Yet it'd be better for the Bills if they both leave too.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

Go you smug, cocky, litigious Al Davis, you sign both those guys if you can. Crennel would be a great fit for you. You don't mind paying big bucks to lure Weis from NE as your OC, do you? While you're at it, you could sign some of NE's free agents as long as the Bills don't want them.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                          Go you smug, cocky, litigious Al Davis, you sign both those guys if you can. Crennel would be a great fit for you. You don't mind paying big bucks to lure Weis from NE as your OC, do you? While you're at it, you could sign some of NE's free agents as long as the Bills don't want them.
                          EXACTLY! It's time to start ing!

Please Mr. Davis. Help us out.

Comment

• zone
                            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                            • Oct 2003

The patsies will blow without Crennel. There D is what makes them win all there ball games. IMO there offesense is nothing to write home about. They have done nothing in the second half of there last 2 games. The panthers DB's are going to be all over those 2 and 3 yard passes.
                            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

Just heard on the Tony Cornheiser show this morning that Al Davis is now talking to Miami OC, Norv Turner, as a possible HC. I'd rather he stick with NE's coordinators just because NE is better than Miami right now.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X