• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AG75
    My buns are weiner friendly
    • Oct 2002

Scott Norwood

Since I have ao-hell, I noticed as soon as I signed on Thurman Thomas was on the front page, basically aol has a poll for biggest Superbowl Blunder and Thurman losing his helmet was in the poll, but winning the SB blunder poll is Scott Norwoods wide right, but there is also an interesting article on him as well. Here it is. To the mods, if you have to edit this or delete it etc I understand, I just know that there are a lot here who do not have aol so it's cool if you edit it or whatever.

Achieving Super Bowl Infamy by a Foot
    By Sal Maiorana, AOL EXCLUSIVE

Scott Norwood has moved on with his life and has tried his hardest to forget about the 47-yard field goal that he missed in Super Bowl XXV, costing the Buffalo Bills a victory. He just wishes everyone else would move on, too.

AP
    "It was an emotional time. I just felt bad for the people," Norwood says of his famously failed kick.

Steve Sabol, President of NFL Films, feels bad for Scott Norwood. He really does. But Sabol has a job to do, a business to run, and every year at Super Bowl time the requests pour into his office for the tape of what is arguably the most famous field-goal attempt in football history, Norwood's 47-yarder that sailed wide right and prevented the Buffalo Bills from winning Super Bowl XXV in Tampa, Fla.

"Requests shoot up during Super Bowl time," Sabol said, adding that "The Miss" is among the top 25 most requested highlight tapes of all time. "It tends to get replayed a lot that time of year."

Sabol's family has been preserving the NFL on film for about as long as the technology has been available. He has seen a lot of good plays, bad plays, memorable plays, history-changing plays. But few have had the impact of Norwood's kick.

"In the history of the Super Bowl, this is the only instance where it came down to a win-or-lose, all-or-nothing proposition involving a kick," said Sabol of the kick that allowed Bill Parcells' Giants to escape with a 20-19 victory over Norwood and the no-huddling Bills. "I just think it's so unfair that fans have persecuted Norwood for this kick. It was the most pressure-packed kick in football, and he just sliced it a bit."

Norwood was Buffalo's all-time leading scorer until Steve Christie came along and broke his records in the late 1990s. "The Miss" did not break him, as he played one more year and scored 110 points plus made a late game-winning field goal in the AFC Championship Game against Denver to vault the Bills into Super Bowl XXVI. But he retired after the Bills were blown out by Washington, moved to Virginia where he became a financial advisor, and rarely associates with the Bills' franchise.

"A lot of people thought my life was ruined, but nothing could be further from the truth," he said. "I'm very happy and contented. I have a loving wife, three children who keep me very busy, and a lot of fond football memories. Sure I wish I had made that kick, but my life didn't go into a tailspin."

His wife is from the Buffalo suburb of West Seneca so he occasionally comes back to Western New York for family purposes, but outside of his appearance at a charity flag football game organized by former Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly in July 2002, no one in football has had much contact with Norwood.

"I wasn't so much hurting because of the kick itself," Norwood said. "The kick was about the people. It wasn't about anything else. It wasn't about monetary gain or some great stature for myself or anything else. When you talk about the Buffalo Bills, it really is about the community and the people who support it. They had a lot of emotions invested in us. It was an emotional time. I just felt bad for the people. It wasn't a short one by any means. My stance has always been that I was there to kick the ball. In that instance, I didn't do my job and I didn't get my job done. I take responsibility for that."

Two kickers who made field goals to win Super Bowls, New England's Adam Vinatieri in 2002 and Jim O'Brien of the Baltimore Colts in 1972, feel terribly for Norwood.

"Everyone knows the Scott Norwood situation," Vinatieri said. Added O'Brien: "I felt really badly for him. And I know it's just a kick and it's just a game, but I'm sure glad I made mine."
    Aimee
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

how is his missing a FG a blunder?? the biggest blunder was Mike Martz not using Marshall Faulk more effectively against the Patriots...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• AG75
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      how is his missing a FG a blunder?? the biggest blunder was Mike Martz not using Marshall Faulk more effectively against the Patriots...
      Well, it's aol. Probably a bunch of 10 yr olds voting
      Aimee

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Thurman didn't lose his helmet. One of his idiot teammates either hid it, or at least moved it from the spot where Thurman always put it before games.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

You know- if he missed that thing by 25 feet, or if it fell short, or got blocked- it wouldn't have been as big a deal IMHO

It's grown to mythical proportions because it skimmed the upright by less than the width of the ball

Comment

• AG75
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
            You know- if he missed that thing by 25 feet, or if it fell short, or got blocked- it wouldn't have been as big a deal IMHO

It's grown to mythical proportions because it skimmed the upright by less than the width of the ball

That's what is so depressing about it, but I do not blame him or resent him for that loss at all. The Giants killed the clock too much, and I feel like the Bills just let that game slip away instead of putting it out of reach Freaking Jeff Hostetler :angry:
            Aimee

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

It wasn't like it was a chip shot. It was a 47-yarder, which isn't easy under any conditions. Wasn't Norwood only something like 50% from over 40 yards that year?

I would have to agree that there have been bigger blunders. Even as a Pats fan, I would agree that Martz refusal to run more against a Pats defense that basically played nickel and dime sets the whole game was criminal. That's Martz, who is one of the worst game-managers I have ever seen.

Of course, the same thing could have said about Buffalo against the Giants, as the Giants played nickel a ton as well. The thing I remember most from that Buffalo-Giants game was the Giants converting some tough 3rd downs and Thurman Thomas ripping off big gains. The Bills should have given Thomas the ball more.

That was a great game.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Not great enough

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Speaking as a fan of football... SB25 was the most enjoyable event in Football I have ever witnessed.

With the backdrop of desert storm, and with the opening with Whitney Houstons famous rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, the game was set up to be the biggest event ever.

The teams were complete opposites. One had a ground it out, kill the clock type of mentality, and the other had a passed paced, no huddle aerial attack.

It was exciting to watch the see/saw battle ensue. To have a game come down to a single kick, not only to send it to overtime, but to actually have it be won or lost with the kick is amazing.

Like I said, as a bills fan it was heartbreaking, but as a football fan it was fantastic!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                    Speaking as a fan of football... SB25 was the most enjoyable event in Football I have ever witnessed.

With the backdrop of desert storm, and with the opening with Whitney Houstons famous rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, the game was set up to be the biggest event ever.

The teams were complete opposites. One had a ground it out, kill the clock type of mentality, and the other had a passed paced, no huddle aerial attack.

It was exciting to watch the see/saw battle ensue. To have a game come down to a single kick, not only to send it to overtime, but to actually have it be won or lost with the kick is amazing.

Like I said, as a bills fan it was heartbreaking, but as a football fan it was fantastic!
                    If the Bills win we see a completely different game today...The emphasis would have been off defense and on offense...I think we would see more games with >140 then the slow it down style we have today.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

I don't know if it would have changed the game. I mean, the Rams won it all in 1999 and the defenses have taken back over since. Up until recent history, (Bal/NE/TB/NE or Car), it has been the best balanced teams that won it.

I don't think the wide open offenses would have caught on any more because most teams don't have the kind of personnel to run it. There are only so many offensive players with that kind of ability.

IMO, the biggest factor in any change in the game today is the salary cap. It is harder to keep teams together nowadays, and so you don't see long-term dominant teams. You see different teams every year, or at least every few years.

Look at Indy. They have to try and keep the Manning/Harrison/James triumverate together while building a defense, and the cap may make that difficult.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NE39
                        I don't know if it would have changed the game. I mean, the Rams won it all in 1999 and the defenses have taken back over since. Up until recent history, (Bal/NE/TB/NE or Car), it has been the best balanced teams that won it.

I don't think the wide open offenses would have caught on any more because most teams don't have the kind of personnel to run it. There are only so many offensive players with that kind of ability.

IMO, the biggest factor in any change in the game today is the salary cap. It is harder to keep teams together nowadays, and so you don't see long-term dominant teams. You see different teams every year, or at least every few years.
                        which brings us to the point of the Pats...will people look back in 20 years and see them going to 3 SBs or so and call them a dynasty....is a team a dynasty if they can win 2 in a row or 2 in 3 years of 3 in 5 years...the Dallas Cowboys of the 90s will be seen as a dynasty joining SF and Pitts.

Comment

• elltrain22
                          • Sep 2003

Scott Noorwood is Ray Finkle. I still remember that moment, just like it was yesterday. I still can't believe it happened like that. There will always be so many what if's, what could have been's, and why's from that game. His miss fg was my choice for blunder's, but i do sort of sympathize w/ the guy, after all these years, but i still cannot ever forget.
                          If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

The biggest blunder was Jackie Smith cropping the damn ball when he was wide freaking open.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

I blame our coaching staff for not running the ball more, or our inability to tackle, not Norwood. Although it was his job to make that kick and he didn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X