PDA

View Full Version : Rivers vs. Losman

superbills
01-23-2004, 11:38 AM
I was loooking on ESPN at some notes from Scouts, Inc and found some very interesting observations in some of the passing drills between Losman and Rivers, two guys who have been talked about a lot here recently. Here's some info from Thursday's workout:

Philip Rivers:
Thursday (1/22/04): Rivers was the most consistent of the
three North quarterbacks on passing drills this afternoon. He
doesn't get the RPMs on the deep out route that J.P. Losman
does, but he throws a heavier ball that actually might fare
better in adverse conditions. A guy like Losman, who played
most of his college career in a dome, gets great zip on his
throws, which enables his ball to get to the spot quicker when
there isn't wind to deal with. But Rivers puts more "thrust"
into his throws, which results in less rotations, but also
keeps the nose of the ball steady and allows it to cut through
the wind better. With all that said, Rivers doesn't have the
same velocity on his deep out passes, but he shows adequate
arm strength and better-than-average accuracy. He also shows a
much better ability to throw a change-up on shorter touch
routes than Losman does. Matt Schaub threw the most accurate
underneath routes in drills, but Rivers was a close second and
Losman was a distant third.

J.P. Losman
Thursday (1/22/04):
Losman had some ups and downs in what was
an afternoon dedicated to a lot of passing drills. He, Phillip
Rivers and Matt Schaub spent a lot of time in individual
drills with their quarterback coach trying to hit spots on
different throws. Losman showed the best velocity on the deep
out passes (15-20 yards from the middle of the field to the
sideline) and he was perfectly accurate on all but one of his
attempts. However, when the three quarterbacks worked on
shorter seven-yard out routes, Losman struggled a little bit
more. It seems as if Losman has trouble making precise throws.
He doesn't show great touch underneath, and he still has some
work to do in terms of changing his velocity.

So, if for sake of argument, you have to make a decision between these 2 guys, give me Rivers hands down. The last thing we need is another Bledsoe clone who has no touch on short-to-medium routes. If Rivers can throw accurate, short passes and can throw in the wind, he may be the ideal candidate to play in the Buffalo climate. Long passes depend so much on the receiver going after the ball, I'm willing to give up some skill in that area, rather than risk having a QB who can throw the ball a mile, but wigs out with the short stuff. Comments? :)

Link to the info: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/features/story?page=2004seniorbowl/index

The Natrix
01-23-2004, 11:42 AM
O yeah, Rivers over Losman anyday.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
I like Rivers.

TigerJ
01-23-2004, 11:54 AM
The Great Blue North Report also has Senior Bowl practice notes and gives a different perspective:

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowldiary.htm

Still, I think the discussion is academic. I think Losman is likely to be drafted late in the first round or too early in the second for Buffalo. I don't think Rivers is the most likely pick of the Bills in round 2, but if he is taken, that's OK by me.

SABURZFAN
01-23-2004, 12:34 PM
i like rivers over losman.for some reason,i'm not sold on losman.

Tatonka
01-23-2004, 12:39 PM
i will take either and be happy.

losman has scrambling abilities that rivers does.. although rivers is mobile... he is more of a mobile to get a 5 yard gain type guy.. losman is a mobile to get a first down and some big gains type guy.

DraftBoy
01-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Ill take JP over Phillip b.c of the ability to break a play with his feet, and everything ive read has said his arm is amazingly accurate and powerful, while Ive read Rivers accuracy has looked a little shaky.

superbills
01-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Maybe Ingtar can shed some light on this because it looks like we have two "schools of thought" on how these guys are performing during this week.

Tatonka's and Tiger J's reports (great reads by the way)have really been favoring Losman, but the Scouts, Inc. reports have Losman struggling and Rivers excelling. Maybe I'm comparing Apples to Oranges and the simple fact of the matter is one weakness for one guy is the other guy's strength and it comes down to what strengths you are looking for. Anyway, I know Losman can move and that's fantastic, I would love to see that from our next QB. But, if the Scouts, Inc. reports are accurate, then I can't help but have visions of Bledsoe missing guys wide open 5 yeards down the field. That scares me.

NC-BILLS44
01-23-2004, 02:35 PM
I want the best FOOTBALL player. I could care less if one is better than the other at throwing deep balls, in a 2 mph swirling wind, at night, from a grass field, on 1st down with 8 minutes left in the first quarter.

Sometimes people, including scouts and posters over think things. Let's just get the best "player".

superbills
01-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Point taken NC, but I think they're both going to be great "football players". We're talking about a point of delination between 2 "football players". How else can you decide between these 2, obviously talented, quarterbacks without considering potential weaknesses? I agree with you wholeheartedly that we need guys who can just go out and play the game and be the best player. But, how can you decide who that is without evaluating how that guy will fit into your system and situation. It's a fine line betweeen just throwing your hat out there and hoping for hte best and over-evaluating someone to the point where no one looks good to you. The point of all this is to just throw it out there for folks to ponder...

I think we need to consider how Losman or Rivers fits into our football scheme and whether a guy who potentially has some of the same shortcomings as the current guy is something to be concerned about.

ebill00
01-23-2004, 07:29 PM
The name "Losman" to me sounds to close to "loseman". What about Josh Harris?

Ice_Cube
01-23-2004, 07:58 PM
JP Losman. Phillip Rivers has terrible mechics that will NOT work in the NFL.

PS - JP won't get pass the TOP 10 of the 2nd round. The bad teams in the NFL usually don't have QBs....

NC-BILLS44
01-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Ill take JP over Phillip b.c of the ability to break a play with his feet, and everything ive read has said his arm is amazingly accurate and powerful, while Ive read Rivers accuracy has looked a little shaky.

WHAT???? You must have typed it , then read it. Rivers completed of 70% of his passes this year!!!!! Shaky? I think not!!!

NC-BILLS44
01-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Ice_Cube

PS - JP won't get pass the TOP 10 of the 2nd round. The bad teams in the NFL usually don't have QBs....

Results, Results, Results.

Dozerdog
01-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Ice_Cube

Let's Examine-

1) San Diego- Either they draft Manning, or stay with Brees. They are not going to go with another 2nd round QB. If they stay with Brees, they will go after secondary help and an alternative weapon on offense other than LT. Boston was a dissapointment. Their OL was a disaster as well.

2) Oakland- Again lots of holes, Need a gamebreaking WR- might go after Big Ben, if not possibly a 2nd round QB- or they will go with Gannon/Tuiassisopo- who did look very good the short time he was in there. Almost beat the Chiefs on MNF.

3) Cards Need a QB - although Josh McCown did come on strong- have a lot of holes to fill on defense

4) Giants- too many holes to fill to waste first 2 picks on a QB

5)Redskins- Have Ramsey

6)Lions- Have Harrington

7)Browns- Have 2 QBs already- no need for a 3rd

8) Falcons- Vick

9) Jax- Leftwitch

10)Houston- Carr

11)Steelers- Need a QB

12) Jets- Pennington

Later in the draft you have Miami, Dallas, Green Bay who might draft a QB. Miami might be the only one desperate enough to get one in the 1st round.

I think in the first 45 picks, the Bills will see 3 QBs off the board. Manning, Big Ben, and either Rivers/Loseman

So you have

Sparda
01-25-2004, 10:49 AM
I can only prey we can get rivers in this draft.

Bert102176
01-25-2004, 12:25 PM
If we can't get Eli or Ben then I want Rivers

juice
01-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by superbills
Point taken NC, but I think they're both going to be great "football players". We're talking about a point of delination between 2 "football players". How else can you decide between these 2, obviously talented, quarterbacks without considering potential weaknesses? I agree with you wholeheartedly that we need guys who can just go out and play the game and be the best player. But, how can you decide who that is without evaluating how that guy will fit into your system and situation. It's a fine line betweeen just throwing your hat out there and hoping for hte best and over-evaluating someone to the point where no one looks good to you. The point of all this is to just throw it out there for folks to ponder...

I think we need to consider how Losman or Rivers fits into our football scheme and whether a guy who potentially has some of the same shortcomings as the current guy is something to be concerned about.

More likely one or both will be League Busts, But with Rivers you have a proven winner and leader. Accuracy and good decision making are Rivers strongepoints. He makes few mistakes.

May be some questions on how mobile Rivers is, Plugged into the right system any of his limitations will be a non-issue because of his all out style of play.

Delivery issues shouldn't impede his progression in the League. Great QB's in league history have different Methods of delivery.

Whomever is picked the QB position should be addressed for the future. ACC NCSU Knocks off #10 GT ACC HOOPS

mypoorfriendme
01-25-2004, 12:54 PM
no need to worry about dallas getting a qb, carter is parcells man and if they wanted someone to challenge him for the spot parcells would bring in a vet, not another young guy. look for green bay and or miami to take qb's in the first. i think our only hope is that miami takes losman, and green bay decides to wait until the later rounds to find their project. but then AFTER the first round we still have the raiders and steelers to worry about getting our guy. i dont think the raiders will get a qb, but the steelers might. losman would seem like hed fit in their system better. to make a long story short, at this point i dont think its very likely that rivers is at our pick 13 in round 2(50-50 id say, but the combine hasnt taken place and the FA hasnt opened). but hey, like i say when it comes to the draft, you never know

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm sold on Rivers he's the QB for the future let's draft him at#13 I heard that Miami and Danny Boy has been talking to him all week let's beat Miami to the punch and get this kid.

juice
01-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
I'm sold on Rivers he's the QB for the future let's draft him at#13 I heard that Miami and Danny Boy has been talking to him all week let's beat Miami to the punch and get this kid.

Where did you hear that? ACC

elltrain22
01-25-2004, 07:11 PM
How great would it be to hear: " with the 13th pick of the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select; Philip Rivers, QB, NC State. My first move would be to call NFL team shop, and order a #17 bills jersey.