PDA

View Full Version : Drew Henson

MGinestre
01-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Word is Houston is looking for a second round pick for Henson. If they don't trade or sign him, he re-enters the draft is projected to go late in the first round.

Also heard his stock is rising after working with a QB coach to get into football shape. He would be a nice backup this season and starter in 2005. Any thoughts?

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
The question mar though is "if" he can return to form then yes but there is no way of knowing that. I really like dhim before he started playing baseball instead. Also when would it be known he would reenter the draft? Would it be this year? Is there a deadline on that?

SABURZFAN
01-23-2004, 12:20 PM
welcome to The Zone.

if houston doesn't sign or trade him,he'll be going to miami or green bay in the draft.unless we trade down to the #19 spot.....:couch:

Bert102176
01-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Screw Hensen he has been out too long, besides every team that drafts him he screws over to play baseball and he is'nt ever gonna make it with the Skankees

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 01:29 PM
H eonly got drafted twice once in baseball and one in football.

THATHURMANATOR
01-23-2004, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't take him in the first round. He has been away from the game too long and would be about 25 or 26 years old right?

TedMock
01-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Believe it or not, he's only going to be 24 next month! He split time with Brady as a Freshman and became the full time starter his sophmore year. By his senior year he was the preseason Heisman favorite but never played that season.....went to the Yanks instead. I'd really have to read about workouts and commitment to football before I make a judgement call on him.

Gunzlingr
01-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Another Chris Weinke, perhaps?

socalfan
01-23-2004, 01:53 PM
He left school as a true sophmore, last year was the first year he could be drafted, so in fact he isn't any older than the typical guy guys coming out as a senior.

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr
Another Chris Weinke, perhaps?

He's 5-6 years younger than Weinke though.

TedMock
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Not sure how accurate this is but it seems on par with my recollection of everything.

http://nfldraft.fasthost.tv/DrewHenson.htm

BIO: High school sensation and unanimous #1 QB prospect in the nation coming out of high school. Split time with Tom Brady his freshman year and then took over as starter in his sophomore season. Injuries cost him the first part of his junior season but he still managed to lead Michigan to a Citrus Bowl appearance and win. Henson entered his Senior season with the Wolverines as title contenders and himself a Heisman contender but left before the season to pursue a baseball career with the Yankees. He was still selected in the 4th Round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.

Mr. Miyagi
01-23-2004, 01:57 PM
To hell with him. We don't need to fork up a 2nd rounder for a backup for the next couple of years.

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Not sure how accurate this is but it seems on par with my recollection of everything.

BIO: High school sensation and unanimous #1 QB prospect in the nation coming out of high school. Split time with Tom Brady his freshman year and then took over as starter in his sophomore season. Injuries cost him the first part of his junior season but he still managed to lead Michigan to a Citrus Bowl appearance and win. Henson entered his Senior season with the Wolverines as title contenders and himself a Heisman contender but left before the season to pursue a baseball career with the Yankees. He was still selected in the 4th Round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.

I could have swore he was drafted in the 6th round?!:confused:

superbills
01-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

I could have swore he was drafted in the 6th round?!:confused:

Yup, supplemental pick in round 6. 192 Overall.

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/bl_2003draftresults6.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/round?round=6

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by superbills

Yup, supplemental pick in round 6. 192 Overall.

http://football.about.com/library/weekly/bl_2003draftresults6.htm

I knew I was right!:snicker:

Lone Stranger
01-23-2004, 03:10 PM
The Bills should have drafted him last year. Considering how well TD has drafted he would have been a prudent gamble.

Bert102176
01-24-2004, 06:57 PM
who says he won't screw us like he did Houston, to hell with him we need our draft picks

HenryRules
01-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Bert102176
who says he won't screw us like he did Houston, to hell with him we need our draft picks

I wouldn't say he screwed Houston ... he was under contract to the Yankees when they drafted him.

Considering that they have David Carr and Dave Ragone (who they drafted last year as well), I don't think they ever intended on having Henson play in Houston. Their plan was always to trade him if he returned to football.

Bert102176
01-24-2004, 07:10 PM
yes well he knew he was drafted so he should have went to Houston even if only for a back up role he screwed them out of a pick

HenryRules
01-24-2004, 07:24 PM
yes well he knew he was drafted so he should have went to Houston even if only for a back up role he screwed them out of a pick

The only way that Houston can consider themselves screwed out of a draft pick is if they are suprised that Henson won't sign with them. If that's the case, their management is the dumbest management in the NFL, considering that everyone expected Henson not to sign with a team if he was drafted last year because he was already under contract to the Yankees.

If Houston got what it expected (Henson not signing), then they didn't get screwed out of a pick by Henson, they screwed themselved out of the pick (although considering that most 6th rounders end up getting cut, I wouldn't even say that - I think it was a smart gamble that may end up paying off if they can find a taker, and if they can't it cost them next to nothing).

I don't understand how anyone can expect Henson to sign with Houston ... that would probably be the dumbest career move that he could possibly make - and he's under absolutely no obligation to do so.

It's not like he's held out or anything - he was never going to play last year regardless.

Bert102176
01-24-2004, 07:32 PM
well if the Bills try to get him they are stupid

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 08:12 PM
just for your info.. here is what ingtar posted on Henson. i asked him if he thought he was worth giving up a high pick.

Ingtar33 wrote on Today 12:50 PM:
not really... i think he's sort of benefited from the illusion of time. He was a good young QB with seemingly unlimited potential, but not a QB without some flaws. What happened is he left the college game while the buzz was forming, and people were protecting into the future he might be a top QB in the draft. Time has just driven up his stock unfoundedly.

I can give you 6 QB names who if they pulled a Henson right now would gain the same notoriety... and i'd be willing to bet that in a year no-one would be talking 1st round anymore.

Tatonka wrote on Yesterday 02:08 PM:
so you see no value in him.. no hope for him being a franchise qb.

Ingtar33 wrote on Today 02:05 PM:
No, he would have been a 2nd rounder if he played college football longer and came out in the draft like a normal player.

Bert102176
01-24-2004, 08:26 PM
TY Tatonka, I totaly agree with that

Alluro
01-24-2004, 08:26 PM
The scouts say he would have been the #1 pick in the carr draft, and 1 or 2 in the vick draft. I think the bills should trade a future pick for this guy before he goes into the draft and gets taken in the late first round.

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Alluro
The scouts say he would have been the #1 pick in the carr draft, and 1 or 2 in the vick draft. I think the bills should trade a future pick for this guy before he goes into the draft and gets taken in the late first round.

i dont think he ever would have gone that high.. he only played for 2 years right?.. he split time with tom brady one of those years... there is no way he goes 1st overall playing part time in one season.. and then even having 1 very good season in which his team didnt do particularly well, i still dont see him ever being a lock for top 10 in the draft..

i will take ingtar's word on this one.. i dont know enough about the guy.. other than he has no commitment to football.. and now that he realized he is a washed up, no good baseball player.. and that he isnt wanted by the mlb anymore.. he is falling back on football to make so extra jack.. i got no use for a guy like that.

Alluro
01-24-2004, 08:58 PM
think of it this way..akali smith went 3rd overall after only one good season and he wasn't anywhere near as heralded or decorated than henson going into the draft. Henson was a legend before ever stepping foot on the field at michigan. He could have started for any team in the country and played any of three sports: baseball, football, basketball. Had henson been in the draft, he would have gone definitely in front of carr and harrington, and if not before vick then definitely right after him.

The only reason he chose baseball was because it was his dream to play in the majors for the new york yankees. When the yankees traded him briefly he pondered retirement from baseball before they traded for him back. You can't fault the guy for following his dream. hell, michael jordan decided to take a break from the PRIME OF HIS CAREER to follow his dream. henson is only 24 years old and it would be a SERIOUS MISTAKE if donahoe passes on him for anyone other than rivers, manning, or big ben. If you ask me, him and manning are pretty much the same caliber player.

Alluro
01-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Here's an excerpt on him that i found:

"Drew Henson was once a top prospect, someone the Texans kept a very close eye on years before the team ever took the field. With all apologies to Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, and the rest of the passers in the 2003 draft class, Henson is possibly the top quarterbacking prospect taken this year.

Henson has a lot of poise and an accurate arm. He threw only 7 interceptions at Michigan against 24 touchdowns. Henson is also an accurate passer, completing over 61 percent of his throws in his final college season. He has a quick release and more than adequate arm strength to play in the NFL. Henson knows how to make adjustments on the fly and hit receivers deep in stride. He’s also fairly mobile in the pocket, and his forty time is an estimated 4.75 seconds."

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/d...cks/henson.html

more....

"BIO: High school sensation and unanimous #1 QB prospect in the nation coming out of high school. Split time with Tom Brady his freshman year and then took over as starter in his sophomore season. Injuries cost him the first part of his junior season but he still managed to lead Michigan to a Citrus Bowl appearance and win. Henson entered his Senior season with the Wolverines as title contenders and himself a Heisman contender but left before the season to pursue a baseball career with the Yankees. He was still selected in the 4th Round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Houston Texans.
ANALYSIS: Has great tools. Tall, fast and has a very strong arm. Accuracy was improving at the time he left Michigan. He really didn't have a whole lot of game experience due to splitting time and injuries. Has great poise, stands tall in the pocket and can use his legs to get out of trouble when needed. Has the ability to throw all the routes, the deep balls, the short-intermediate routes, he can do it all. One thing that has been questioned is his toughness.
OVERALL: Was my #1 Overall selection ahead of Michael Vick heading into the 2002 draft and he has only been away for 2 years, so anyone picking him up could be getting a complete steal. He has franchise ability if he stays committed."

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 09:34 PM

Houston Received tons of supplimental picks as part of their expansion agreement in the 202 and 2003 drafts- something like 15 picks total in each draft.

he only problem was 15 picks in a S***ty draft don't mean much. Late in the 6th , with Carr & Ragone in the fold they drafted Henson purely on speculation. Instead of drafting a guy they would cut to trim the roster to 60, they got a guy who (potentially) they could deal his rights away for something.

They knew it would be a 10-1 shot they would get anything for him.

It was a low-risk high reward gamble.

Ingtar33
01-24-2004, 10:23 PM
um... actually, Henson would never have gone over Leftwich, but then again neither should have Palmer.

Henson is a tremendous athlete, but he did a lot of the little things wrong in football, a sign of his lack of dedication. When people talk about him coming out as a top pick they were thinking of potential not performance... they see a three sport star not, a very good (definitely not great) QB who could benefit from years more dedication to the game.

He flunked out of baseball because scouts in the majors did the same thing scouts/FO people are doing in football, they fell in love with his seemingly limitless, legendary multisport athleticism and figured he could become a great player if he applied himself to one sport. Well i have news for you, very few people, great athletes all, can be NFL QBs, and just because Henson is a fantastic athlete it doesn't mean he'll ever be a fantastic NFL QB.

It will take a particularly daft NFL front office to take him before round 4 in next years draft.

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 10:34 PM
"Daft" meaning stupid.......or desperate and clueless.....

Ingtar33
01-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
"Daft" meaning stupid.......or desperate and clueless.....

like that razor sharp use of the English language?

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 10:47 PM
me translate into american....:D

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 11:04 PM
:rofl:

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 11:05 PM
so his best season what a 24td to 7 int year?

rivers had 34 tds to 7 ints this past year.

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 11:08 PM
But Henson can lay down a bunt....

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
But Henson can lay down a blunt....

blunt huh? :eek:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Drew Henson would fit nice with our team because we already have a Drew in Bledsoe :laughter: