X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

A bit of Ingtar Draft info

Ingtar pmed me some info the other day, and i wanted to get his permission to post it first... but here you go.
    Tatonka wrote on 01-21-2004 08:28 AM:
    if you think those are the guys we go after, i would think we should try and trade down. thanks for the info though! mind if i post it for others to read?
    Ingtar33 wrote on Today 01:32 AM:
    Tatonka wrote on Yesterday 11:54 PM:
    how goes it?

you need to hang around more.. busy at work lately?

dying for some draft insight..

quick question.. gimmy your top 5 wrs.. any that you think could make an immediate impact? seen a lot of mocks lately having us take a wr.. ugh.. not tops on my list.. but MM likes to use 3 wrs for sure.

WR is not what i would call a "need" position for this team, but then again not many places in this lineup really qualify as a need either.

I think my NEED list for the Bills would work like this...
    1) RG
    2) Center
    3) LE
    4) FS
    5) WR/TE
    6) QB

Now simply put, there is a very remote chance one of the Williams will fall to the Bills... i don' think any Bills fans will be particularly enamored with them as they are not the image of "deep threat" WRs... in fact they are almost clones of Keyshawn Johnson... big possession types (though Roy Williams does strike me as more of an Eric Moulds type, though he doesn't really have the deep ball skills to stand out in the fashion EM does).

My listing of the WRs right now would be...
    Larry Fitzgerald (think Marvin Harrison)
    Roy Williams (think Eric Moulds)
    Reggie Williams (think Keyshawn Johnson)
    Lee Evans (think P.Price, though with better hands)
    Michael Clayton (sort of a lesser version of Roy Williams)

now... when the Bills draft it will be very unlikely Fitzgerald or the two Williams will be available... and frankly both Evans and Clayton are not good enough to go this high.

Good pickups would be...

OG/OT - Vernon Carey (Miami) : a 350-370~ish natural, who could play any position on the line and excel in the NFL (except maybe center). He's a mauling run blocker, and a decent pass blocker as a tackle, and a potential all pro as a guard. He reminds me of a bigger version of R.Brown, and could be a perennial probowler on the inside... definitely worth the 13th pick, though we could likely get him as far back as 25, i just get shivers thinking of him lining up next to M.Williams.

Center - Jake Grove (VT) : a 300 pound mauler who reminds me of Jon Runyan... very tough, very mean, sort of dirty. He should go in round one, though 13 might be a bit high. Will be a very good center for years to come in the NFL. This is the type of player you can build an o-line around, and the type of man everyone wants in their locker room... his teammates love him because he'll go to bat for any of them, to the point he even got ejected during a college game while defending a teammate. We could trade down 7 or so spots and pick him up easy... and I'd call that a fantastic first round pick.

DE - Kenechi Udeze (USC) : he could step right in and start at LE with little difficulty, large, strong and fast... the trick with him will be this. If he is outstanding in the combines he'll go in the top ten... maybe even jumping over Will Smith. Of all the DE's in the draft this is the only one i'd seriously consider taking at 13 as smith really is too small.

TE - Ben Troupe (Fla) : KW likely will be gone by pick 13, and while i'd be tempted to drop back to 17 or so before drafting troupe, he'll make a team very happy. Think Ben Coates when you think Troupe... basically an identical player... identical size... and about the same athleticism. He might not turn out to be a hall of famer, but he will turn out some pro bowl years.

Now i know you're thinking QBs... frankly, no QB should be drafted in the first round except Ben and Eli, and both of them will go in the top 5 picks... possibly in pick 1 and 2. Due to he way the draft works and out needs on the OL and elsewhere, plus the downside of rookie QBs, I don't see us even looking at QBs until maybe round 3 or 4. When you get down to that point your Rivers and the like will likely (possibly) be drafted already, however there are many QBs who might be available who would be worth a look. Foremost of whom would be Casey Clausen, who really shouldn't go before pick 3, but who has every tangible a successful NFL QB should have... to such an extent he actually reminds me a bit of Brady... only much better (Brady doesn't have the arm, nor the mobility Clausen does). Brady went in round 6, i can't see Clausen going later than 4...
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

i agree with carey being "worth the 13th pick."he can play both G and T.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

i am not concerned about worth.. it is where is the value in picking him.. you dont take a guy at 13 that you can get at 20.. that is my concern..

see the dolphins pick of eddie moore last year.. i dont think it is a problem that they drafted the kid.. i just think it is stupid to use a 2nd round pick on a guy that could be picked EASILY in the 4th or 5th round.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

Awesome. So now my thinking is either gettiing Carey or Grove in Rnd 1. I would like to get Carey in the 1st and Grove in the 2nd but probably won't happen. SO one of them then Lee Evans possibly in the 2nd depending of course on dropped talent.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

you play roulette when drafting a guy like Carey... really he could be drafted by any of the teams from 10-25... in fact i could see him going to the Jets (they need OG help) just before us.

The Bills could draft the Carey or Udeze at 13 and i wouldn't consider it a bad thing.

It might be a bit of a stretch for the other two though... I think you could fall back 5 picks and still be able to draft Troupe and maybe as many as 10 and be able to get Grove.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
            you play roulette when drafting a guy like Carey... really he could be drafted by any of the teams from 10-25... in fact i could see him going to the Jets (they need OG help) just before us.

The Bills could draft the Carey or Udeze at 13 and i wouldn't consider it a bad thing.

It might be a bit of a stretch for the other two though... I think you could fall back 5 picks and still be able to draft Troupe and maybe as many as 10 and be able to get Grove.
            please god no friggin TEs in the first.

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

please god no friggin TEs in the first.
              Ben Watson in the 3rd he has talent and intensity!

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                • Sep 2002

Ingtar's analysis seems to be very thoughtful. I like what I see. Carey's the type of guy I'd like on my team.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Center - Jake Grove (VT) : a 300 pound mauler who reminds me of Jon Runyan... very tough, very mean, sort of dirty.
                  My new favorite.

Comment

• baalworship
                    • May 2003

Thanks Tatonka and Ingtar. My dream scenario in the draft has been:
                    Bills drop down 7-8 spots and grab Vernon Carey to play RG next to Williams. Our biggest problem last year was when Sullivan disappeared and Mike Pucillo ended up starting. Carey next to Williams would provide us with a immediate POWER RUNNING GAME! No more wacky stuff on 3rd and 1. Over 700 lbs on the right side! This will be the best immediate fix for our offense.

With the extra second the Bills get they can address multiple needs.

Speed WR
                    TE
                    Free Safety
                    Center
                    Quarterback

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                      • Apr 2003

i like it....i like it a lot. after carey id LOVE to see the bills pick up rivers and evans, and then ben watson in the third. it wont happen but hey, i can dream
                      the dude abides

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mypoorfriendme
                        i like it....i like it a lot. after carey id LOVE to see the bills pick up rivers and evans, and then ben watson in the third. it wont happen but hey, i can dream
                        i would be extatic about that draft.

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

i would be extatic about that draft.
                          Your telling me!

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
                            • Apr 2003

the dude abides

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

Based on Ingtar's report, I think I would try to trade down maybe six to ten spots. Dallas picks at 22 Buffalo could get Dallas' first and second round picks for that trade if Dallas wanted to move up. Then I'd take Carey if he's still on the board. If he's gone by then, I'd look at Grove or Lee Evans. If Buffalo stays at 13 and picks Udeze, that would be OK too.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X