PDA

View Full Version : Bills vs Texans: pregame analysis

Ingtar33
10-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Well, that was a fun and unexpected 2-3 start. A start in which the Offense has been fabulous, the Defense has been atrocious, and the special teams has been a little bit of both while steadily improving. This Sunday the Bills travel to Houston Texas to take on the newly minted Houston Texans. If all goes according to plan this week will be an excellent warm up for next week’s game in Miami against the Dolphins. Like previous weeks I'll examine the key match-ups and give my prediction on the outcome for you gamblers out there. Thus far my predictions have been good, with a 3-2 record against the spread, and a stellar 5-0 record against the over-under (for the non-gamblers out there, I'm now 4-1 in picking winners).

When the Bills have the ball and are...

Running: The Bills go into Houston with the tale of two running games: One running game, which seems to find some good success at home; and another which seems unable to get anything going on the road. Well, ever other team in the league has run on the Texans, so I guess the Bills will have their chance to break out of their road funk. The Texans play an aggressive 3-4 defense, which doesn't seem too capable of slowing down any running attack. In fact they are allowing about the same amount of yards on the ground (per game) that the Bills have allowed thus far. Given the size advantage the Bills hold over the smaller Texans front, this should be a battle the Bills can win... if they stick with the ground game look for Henry to pile some yards up, and make a run at breaking the 100yard barrier for a second time this year.

Passing: The Bills take their top rated aerial assault to battle this Sunday with one of the NFL's best (8th ranked) pass defenses. While the Texans have struggled against the run, their pass D has been the strength of their team. Their front seven zone blitzes extensively and while they haven't been setting any sack records they are getting their share of QB sacks and pressures. Truthfully, I'm not sold on their secondary, I think Glenn and Coleman are a little slow, and their safeties are FA castoffs (including ex Bill, Matt Stevens). As a result, assuming the line can keep the heat off Bledsoe; look for the Bills to light up the Texans secondary... why not? They've done it to far better secondarys thus far.

When the Texans have the ball and are...

Running: This is the one thing the battered Texans O-line has been able to do thus far... run block. With the Texans using Allen as their primary back, expect to see a lot of sharp, cutback running. When Wells spells Allen and steps on the field, expect to see some very impressive 'between the tackles' pounding from this young power back. The Texans have actually run more than they've passed thus far, and if the Bills don't jump out to a big lead, expect that to continue, as the Texans will try to use the ground game to keep the high powered Bills offense off the field.

Passing: The Texans offense has been hobbled by some incredibly poor pass blocking due to their incredibly banged up front five. Carr is on pace to be sacked more times than any QB in league history, averaging nearly 7 sacks per game (this is especially impressive considering Carr has only tried to pass 98 times, resulting in a sack per every 4 drop backs). What is equally amazing about this stat is Carr could have been sacked numerous other times, but his quick feet and quick mind saved him the trip. The unreal pressure Carr has faced has adversely effected his stats for the season, and the Bills beleaguered pass D should be licking its chops at this anemic attack. Look for Carr to try to send the ball to his favorite target Corey Bradford, who has caught 3 of Carr's 4 TD passes on the season.

Conclusion:

While on the surface, this looks like a classic upset game (due to the Bills overlooking the expansion Texans) don't expect that to occur. At 2-3 the Bills don't have the luxury to overlook anyone, and will be hungry to get back to .500. With the D taking such a pounding in the press, expect a great effort out there, with multiple sacks and probably some turnovers, as the Texans O is just too poor to compete with the Bills on Sunday. The only chance the Texans will have to keep this game close is if they get their running game going. However, Allen and Wells are nowhere near the quality of runners the Bills have faced thus far... and the Texans O-line is nowhere near skilled enough to handle the Bills poor D-line. If the Bills D struggles against the Texans, then we shouldn't expect them to be able to stop anyone all year. The Texans are going to be overmatched as their pass D has never seen anything like what the Bills have for them. Watch for the Bills to will in a rout 35-20.

Dozerdog
10-10-2002, 12:37 AM
Excellent points Ingtar-

Do you beleive the Texan's ranking on Pass defense is more a product of teams trampling them with the run? I remember back 20 odd years when the Bills had a horrid record, ...2-14. But they sported the league's top Pass defense. Why? Because each team ra the ball down their throats.

Are the Jets castoffs in the Texans secondary that good or their Run D that bad? Or both?

The Spin Rx
10-10-2002, 12:58 AM
Houston giving up LESS yards per game in run than YOU (http://nfl.com/stats/teamsort/AFC/DEF-RUSHING/2002/regular?sort_col_1=7)

Houston is giving up 117 yards a game, the Bills are giving up 130. Marcus Coleman is great in run support. Glenn is strictly a cover corner, but is having an outstanding year to date. The Texan Safteys are below average however.

Past Pro Bowlers on Texan Defense:
Aaron Glenn CB Jets
Jamie Sharper LB Ravens
Keith Mitchell LB Saints
Gary Walker DE Jaguars

TexSon
10-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Howdy folks, another Texans fan here. Just wanted to add a few things on our run defense. It is actually pretty good, we have held a few elite backs to less than their average. Ladanian Tomlinson of the Chargers rushed for 84 yds. against us and Edge James for 88 yds. V is right on about our safteys however. Watch out for G Walker, he will create some havoc for your line!!

GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!!

lordofgun
10-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Hey TexSon! Welcome to the Zone!

Ingtar33
10-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Texson&ExpansionBlues,

True, it was probably an insult to label your run D as bad as the Bills. Not many teams are as bad as the Bills run or pass D. However the Texans are allowing 4.1y/run, the Bills are giving up 4.6, neither of which are much to brag about.

Dozerdog,
The Texans pass D has eaten up some very poor pass O's, allowing 112y from the 24th ranked Dallas air attack, and 143y from the 31st ranked San Diego air attack (which is the second worst in the league right next to... guess who... the Texans). Against the 8th (PHI) and the 11th (IND) ranked air attacks the Texans have allowed more than the AVG per game yards that each team is averaging... 251y vs 241.8y/game (IND)... 289y vs 250y/game (PHI).

mybills
10-12-2002, 11:48 PM
I have 2 questions.

1) Ingtar, how could you be 4-0..from the start of the season with the Jets, first game and all, was that a lucky guess? I was 3-1 myself, because of the Jets game. I really thought we had that one. :confused: Ok, this post is a little old, and now I'm 4-1.

2) ExpansionBlues & TexSon, which team did you jump from? After all, you both seem to know SOMETHING about football . ;)

WG
10-13-2002, 12:29 AM
I think that it's a real statement, and not a positive one, that since we are allowing rushing yards in wholesale quantities, that our pass defense actually has fallen both in yards allowed as well as in ranking.

I really think our D has taken a nosedive this year. The only explanation can be coaching. B/c the talent isn't any worse and we have a far better O even w/ an inept rushing game.

The Texan game I believe will reveal a lot. We need to mop up and win this game by 14 plus points. A close game won't bring us any much needed confidence and a loss would be devastating.

WG
10-13-2002, 12:31 AM
I guess the single factor that scares me most is that Capers is a defensive guy, and a good one, and that the Texans had a week off.

TOs is one of two ways that the Texans can win this game. The other is if we allow Wells and Allen to slice through our rushing D like a hot knife thru warm butter.

mybills
10-13-2002, 01:15 AM
coahing? I dunno...
I don't foresee TO's at all, unless the Texan's are known for forcing them, which I have no idea if they are. Being a new team though, I doubt they have that as a specialty. So I'm not sure if what happened last week ie Drew, will happen this week, but I think it's highly unlikely. Maybe that's your reason to think that this week?

The only thing that wasn't fixed from week to week (in the first 4 wks that is) was Henry's fumbles. Special teams really sucked in the Jets game, but was obviuosly addressed before the Vikings game. Granted, not addressed well enough, but still an improvement. And Rogers has improved a lot since then too IMO. That's just one example.

Another example of addressing something each week, was the Vikings game. Moss was wide open almost every time...I think EVERY time actually, but that was addressed too and you could see it in the Denver game.

Heck, even Teague went from hiking the ball into the ground, to hiking it over Drew's head!!!

I''m sure many things were addressed this past week too, and I'll be keeping my eye on all of 'em! :D I'm positive I'll see the adjustments from the Raiders game.

Ingtar33
10-13-2002, 10:26 AM
mybills,
I assume you're asking about my record picking the games?

Against the point spread
Week1: Picked the Bills by 1, the spread was the Jets by 3, I lost
Week2: Picked the Bills by 1, the spread was the Vikes by 3, I won
Week3: Picked the Broncos by 4, the spread was the broncos by 3.5, I won.
Week4: Picked the Bills by 4, the spread was the Bills by 3, I won.
Week5: Picked the Raiders by 1, the spread was the Raiders by 5, I lost.

So I had a record of 3-2 against the point spread
You can see my record in picking the correct winner 4-1
And since every game was OVER the over-under, and I picked the games to be OVER, my record in that category is a perfect 5-0.

Go Bills!

ArcticWildMan
10-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Another outstanding analysis by Ingtar!!

Keep them coming!!! :up:

mybills
10-13-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
mybills,
I assume you're asking about my record picking the games?

Against the point spread
Week1: Picked the Bills by 1, the spread was the Jets by 3, I lost
Week2: Picked the Bills by 1, the spread was the Vikes by 3, I won
Week3: Picked the Broncos by 4, the spread was the broncos by 3.5, I won.
Week4: Picked the Bills by 4, the spread was the Bills by 3, I won.
Week5: Picked the Raiders by 1, the spread was the Raiders by 5, I lost.

So I had a record of 3-2 against the point spread
You can see my record in picking the correct winner 4-1
And since every game was OVER the over-under, and I picked the games to be OVER, my record in that category is a perfect 5-0.

Go Bills!

:up: