PDA

View Full Version : Fridays Senior Bowl update - QBs and others

Tatonka
01-23-2004, 11:39 PM
"Thursday afternoon... No player has scouts talking more than North Carolina State QB Phil Rivers who had a solid week of practice; Rivers, though, has that odd delivery which has scouts scratching their heads; what I see, however, is a player who appears to be very coachable, is very accurate and has a nice quick, compact, albeit unorthodox, delivery; plus, it may very well be that the 3/4 arm delivery actually helps Rivers get rid of the ball so quickly, particular when working out of a 5-step drop...

also picked up a few whispers about some attitude concerns about Tulane QB J.P. Losman; no QB in Mobile, though, came close to matching either his velocity and mobility....

also wonder if Virginia QB Matt Schaub might not ultimately turn out to be a pretty good pro; Schaub didn't do much to excite in Mobile, but he also didn't screw up either; Schaub has excellent size and a decent arm and could end up being a late round steal, although a lack of functional mobility does hurt his overall grade...
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowldiary.htm

The Spaz
01-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Matt Schaub your favorite QB, ain't that right t:snicker: I really hope we have a chance to get Rivers in a decent slot but I have heard Marino has talked to him everyday in Mobile for the Senior Bowl.:down:

Tatonka
01-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Top 15 of the week ... the guys who stood out.. good to see that 2 centers did well.

Final wrap up:the Top 15... In no particular order, here are the 15 players that impressed me the most at this week's Senior Bowl practice sessions...

RB Greg Jones, Florida State... Should ultimately be the best NFL player to come out of this year's Super Bowl once he fully recovers from last year's knee injury. Jones is a physical stud with a powerful lower body. Jones, though, is more than just a pure power back; he has surprising agility for a man that size showing excellent change of direction and elusiveness for a power back. Jones also has something of a second gear when he gets moving, but lacks that explosive first step; he also needs to be a little more patient at times. And while a functional receiver, Jones needs to work on his receiving skills. Could end up being as good as he wants to be at the next level.

OG Steven Peterman, Louisiana State... Big, mauling interior offensive lineman who also demonstrated very good lateral movement.

DT Darnell Dockett, Florida... Speaking of former Seminoles who can be as good as they want to be, Dockett was dominating when he went hard, exploding upfield and keeping his pads low; he just didn't go hard all the time.

QB J.P. Losman, Tulane... Easily the top QB in Mobile, Losman still needs a little work on his footwork, but showed great arm strength, particularly on deep fade routes on which the ball got there in a real hurry, as well as mobility. There were some whispers about Losman's attitude, particularly when interviews with several teams reportedly didn't go very well, but there is no question that Losman can get the ball where its supposed to be in a hurry.

WR Keary Colbert, Southern Cal... Kind of got lost in the shuffle at USC where sophomore Mike Williams has been the go-to guy the past couple of years, but Colbert emerged as perhaps the most productive player in Mobile this week. Colbert caught everything in sight, including several acrobatic catches; he also consistently got off the line of scrimmmage and showed excellent body control, while getting great separation. And for good measure, Colbert came across as good guy.

WR Ernest Wilford, Virginia Tech... Not a blazer, but Wilford ran the best routes in Mobile; he was very quick into and out of his breaks for a big receiver and also showed nice soft hands. Wilford was very physical going after the ball, using his 6-4, 220+ size to great advantage.

QB Phil Rivers, North Carolina State... Had pro scouts arguing among themsleves (and maybe with themselves) because of that an odd 3/4 arm delivery. Rivers, though, was consistently very accurate with decent velocity and a nice quick, compact, albeit unorthodox, delivery; indeed, it may very well be that the 3/4 arm delivery actually helps Rivers get rid of the ball so quickly, particular when working out of a 5-step drop.

DT Chad Lavalais, Louisiana State... Doesn't look like much in shorts and a tee, but comes off the ball very quickly, gets great leverage and battles until the whistle.

CB Derrick Strait, Texas... Doesn't have world-class sprinter speed, but is very physical and instinctive and breaks well on the ball; Strait also has excellent route recognition skills and can find and react to the ball on the run; and while not a burner, Strait does possess adequate recovery speed.

QB John Navarre, Michigan... Impressed as much with the intangibles including poise in the pocket, leadership and coachability, Navarre also had plenty of zip on the ball throwing short and intermediate routes; Navarre also had decent footwork in the pocket for a man his size, but won't win any foot races.
WR Devery Henderson, Louisiana State... Henderson showed some real YAC capacity after catching the ball; also showed great deep speed and pretty good hands for a former track guy..

C Jake Grove, Virginia Tech... Rough, tough interior trenchman with good quickness who is also very sound fundamentally.

WR Justin Jenkins, Mississippi State... Wasn't even in Mobile when the week started, but made the most of the opportunity when he got a call to be an injury replacement. Jenkins consistently showed very good hands and the ability to adjust to the ball on the fly.

FS Stuart Schweigert, Purdue... Did a nice job locking in on TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield; also showed decent instincts and aggressiveness coming up in support of the run defense.

OG/C Nick Leckey, Kansas State... Quick, aggressive offensive lineman who was solid whether he played at OG or C.

Tatonka
01-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Matt Schaub your favorite QB, ain't that right t:snicker: I really hope we have a chance to get Rivers in a decent slot but I have heard Marino has talked to him everyday in Mobile for the Senior Bowl.:down:

i think i would take Navare after reading how well he was doing.. over harris... harris just seems to much of a project.. yesterday they said that since harris has been a shotgun qb almost exclusively at BG.. that he was having trouble just taking a normal snap.

DraftBoy
01-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Id like Kent to be honest.

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 10:09 AM
i really hope NE doesnt grab Jones.. the guy reminds me of ricky williams.

Bmax
01-24-2004, 02:00 PM
so now tonk wants to draft narrve(bledsoe jr) or (johnson jr) just what the bills need anothe qb who is stiff and not mobile.

Losman or harris .. i would take ...losman will be gone in rd one

Rivers is liked by many and not liked some .. his delivery and slow feet are the problem great guy high character....good leader...

But i will would rather take clausen or harris later ... like rounds 4-5..........then take rivers in rd 2 just my gut telling me tht rivers is the 2nd coming of danny wurffel.....

Other may disagree...But i'll take my 15 games of watching rivers over 1 bowl game....

Bmax

mypoorfriendme
01-24-2004, 02:10 PM
greg jones's stiff arm in that game against UNC reallllly scares me if he was in a pats uniform :eek:

elltrain22
01-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I have been saying it for about 2 months now, we need to draft Rivers. he will be a great NFL QB, despite the wierd throwing motion

Tatonka
01-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
so now tonk wants to draft narrve(bledsoe jr) or (johnson jr) just what the bills need anothe qb who is stiff and not mobile.

i said i would take navare over schuab.. not that either is a guy i am real excited about.

The Spaz
01-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i said i would take navare over schuab.. not that either is a guy i am real excited about.

T -2:00min. T!:snicker: