PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl has grown into a 'national holiday'

The_Philster
01-24-2004, 01:53 PM
By ALAN PERGAMENT, Buffalo News
For about the XXXVIIIth time, HBO has done it again. It has produced a Super sports documentary, this time about the birth of the Super Bowl.
Titled "The Wild Ride to Super Bowl I," it premieres at 10 p.m. Monday and airs several other times on the pay-cable network and its digital brother, HBO 2.

It is a perfect companion piece to all the Super Bowl hype that is bound to emanate from Houston this week on ESPN and the NFL Network prior to the Carolina-New England game....

more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040124/1001884.asp)

don137
01-24-2004, 02:40 PM
IMO, they should move the game to Saturday night. It would make it so much easier on everyone. People with kids usually have to leave by halftime because the kids have school the next day. Plus a Satuday game would make it so people in Japan could watch the game because it would Sunday moning as opposed Monday morning when he game was on so wouldn't have to go to work...

zone
01-24-2004, 02:51 PM
How can anyone say baseball is the US past time. Football is life and the rest is just details.

zone
01-24-2004, 02:51 PM
or pass time even.

shelby
01-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by don137
IMO, they should move the game to Saturday night. It would make it so much easier on everyone. People with kids usually have to leave by halftime because the kids have school the next day. Plus a Satuday game would make it so people in Japan could watch the game because it would Sunday moning as opposed Monday morning when he game was on so wouldn't have to go to work...
That is a :angry:ing stellar idea!:10:

Originally posted by zone
How can anyone say baseball is the US past time. Football is life and the rest is just details.

i agree!

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 05:32 PM
My company has MLK day as a holiday- but they get volunteers to work that day in exchange for another day off. I sell "The day after the Super Bowl" to my guys as a day they could exchange.

Living in New England, it's an easy sell.

Cntrygal
01-24-2004, 06:04 PM

:10:

Demon
01-24-2004, 11:54 PM

I disagree. I don't think they should be messing with tradition. The game is a early start time, 6:30pm so it ends after 9. It's still early. Someone created sickdays for days like the day after the Super Bowl!!!

And the Japan theory i totally don't understand. You will never please everyone. Football isn't even big in Japan, there isn't even 1 Japanese player in the NFL (atleast not to my knowledge).

Trying to please others won't work. 6pm Sunday = 12am in Europe, so say we try to please them by moving kickoff time to 4pm which would be 10pm in Europe so people can watch the game and still get solid hours of sleep before work.... but then you'd be screwing the citizens of Hawaii.

Like the saying goes, "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke".

Dozerdog
01-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Demon
I disagree. I don't think they should be messing with tradition. The game is a early start time, 6:30pm so it ends after 9. It's still early. Someone created sickdays for days like the day after the Super Bowl!!!

And the Japan theory i totally don't understand. You will never please everyone. Football isn't even big in Japan, there isn't even 1 Japanese player in the NFL (atleast not to my knowledge).

Trying to please others won't work. 6pm Sunday = 12am in Europe, so say we try to please them by moving kickoff time to 4pm which would be 10pm in Europe so people can watch the game and still get solid hours of sleep before work.... but then you'd be screwing the citizens of Hawaii.

Try ending at 10;30

Demon
01-25-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Try ending at 10;30

10:30 is still an early hour. :)

don137
01-25-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Demon

Maybe you don't have kids but having the game start so late on the east coast and the game not ending to 10:30-11:00 at night the NFL loses literally millions of viewers in the second half of the super bowl because many people have to leave parties and take ther kids to bed. It sucks when you're are at a Super Bowl party and half the people have to leave at halftime.
You go to work on Monday and half the people are either hung over, tired or taking 4 trips to the bathroom because they ate too many wings and taco dip.
If the NFL didn't care about Japan then why do they have an exhibition game there every preseason and try to market to it?
If it was on a Saturday it would eliminate many of these issues. People will watch no matter what day it is on but to maximize viewership (AKA generate the most revenue) Saturday would be the best day to have the game...
That just my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Thats what makes the world go around... :cheers:

The_Philster
01-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Super Bowl excess is back. After being hobbled by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a sputtering economy and concerns about corporate greed the last two years, the National Football League championship game in Houston next Sunday will ooze a Texas-size lode of wealth and glitz.

Luxury suites at Reliant Stadium are selling for $175,000 on the Internet. Ticket brokers are charging fans $2,000 for a basic seat and $7,750 for a 50-yard line seat. For those who have them, tickets have a face value of $400 to $600....
more (http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040125/NEWS/401250440/1002/SPORTS)

The_Philster
01-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Personally, I think a Saturday Super Bowl would be a great idea...at least when we have the 2 week period between the Championship games and the Big Game. It would be a disaster otherwise.

Michael82
01-25-2004, 07:48 PM
What about moving it a few hours earlier? Keep the Sunday tradition. But move the kickoff to 4pm? :D

JayWood
01-25-2004, 07:51 PM
The Super Bowl, with or without the Bills has always been a national holiday to me. This year seeing the Patsies are in the big show we are not even opening work for the day. Day off, and we are all going to the bosses house to watch the game...America, what a damn great country!!!

ShadowHawk7
01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Screw the the traditions how bout the new PPV Laungrie (or wutever) Bowl!! Hope that continues!! CAn sum1 tape it for me??

Demon
01-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
Screw the the traditions how bout the new PPV Laungrie (or wutever) Bowl!! Hope that continues!! CAn sum1 tape it for me??

Noone is going to buy that. It's lost alot of hype since they annouced they will have it and alot of the rules have changed.