PDA

View Full Version : Alex VanPelt as QB's coach?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2004, 12:53 AM
The Bills are going to draft a QB So does that mean Alex is done in Buffalo? because you have Bledsoe, Brown and the rookie so why not make VanPelt the QB's coach he said that when he was done playing football that he wants to coach why not give him a chance. He could be like a player-coach there's no rule in the book that you can't have a player-coach in the NFL is there does anybody know? :fabulous: :band:

Ickybaluky
01-25-2004, 07:06 AM
You can have a player-coach, Denver did it this past year with Jimmy Spencer.

However, by rule, everything you pay him will count toward the cap. The team can't say they are paying him some money to coach, and circumvent the cap that way.

However, he could be a player-coach.

The_Philster
01-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Brown is a restricted free agent...there's no guarantee he'll be here next year. Personally, I'd like to go to camp with 5 QBs...and have a 4 way battle for the #2 and #3 slots. If AVP loses out, he's offered the QB coach job. If Travis Brown makes one of the slots, take the rookie who didn't and place him on the practice squad.

Bert102176
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
I was watching the howard simon she on empire they were talking about maybe signing Alex as the QB coach and if something happened to where we needed a QB he would be under contract that AVP could step in and help.

TigerJ
01-25-2004, 03:44 PM
It only makes sense. AVP probably can't compete as a player any more. He never had much to offer physically, but he is as smart as they come, has seen a good number of offensive systems and would have good rapport with Bledsoe, assuming he stays. Plus, he's a good guy, has been loyal to the Bills forever. I think he would be a good coach, plus if the Bills can get a good coach and reward loyalty, so much the better.

caveboy
01-25-2004, 03:50 PM
"...there's no rule in the book that you can't have a player-coach in the NFL is there does anybody know?'

Yeah. You have to have had actually played the position insteading of suiting up for one game like Rudy.

;-]