X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Hine Ward vs. Josh Reed

it took hines ward season 4 before he blew up... and guess who happened to be the new offensive coordinator that year? mularky.. he figured out how to use ward's abilities to help the team the most.. take a look at these stats.

3 years before mularky... aka, the gilbride era for pittsburg

1998 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 15catches 246yards 0tds
    1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 14 61catches 638yards 7tds
    2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 15 48catches 672yards 4tds

3 years with mularky as his OC

2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 94catches 1003yards 4tds
    2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 112catches 1329yards 12tds
    2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 95catches 1163yards 10tds

josh reed's numbers for the last 2 years...
    16 2 37catches 509yards 2tds
    16 16 58catches 588yards 2tds

mark my words.. he will have at least 8 tds this upcoming year.. and some rushing yards to boot.. he will be used on the randle el, ward reverse/gimick plays.

alot of people are hollering about the need for another wr to stretch the field.. speed... big wr.. whatever you guys! we have moulds.. who is a superstar... easily a top 5 wr when healthy... no team has 2 of those.. and we dont need 2.. reed will be a strong number 2 and shaw is a great number 3.. and i for one have not given up on aiken.. who just finished his first year as a 4th round rookie.

guys be patient and trust in who we have.. no one we draft this year at the wr spot is going to come in and surplant any of the guys we have there now..

we should be pounding TH and WM all game anyway.. but if we have to make some plays in the passing game, the guys we have are going to be plenty good.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • zone
    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
    it took hines ward season 4 before he blew up... and guess who happened to be the new offensive coordinator that year? mularky.. he figured out how to use ward's abilities to help the team the most.. take a look at these stats.

mark my words.. he will have at least 8 tds this upcoming year.. and some rushing yards to boot.. he will be used on the randle el, ward reverse/gimick plays.

alot of people are hollering about the need for another wr to stretch the field.. speed... big wr.. whatever you guys! we have moulds.. who is a superstar... easily a top 5 wr when healthy... no team has 2 of those.. and we dont need 2.. reed will be a strong number 2 and shaw is a great number 3.. and i for one have not given up on aiken.. who just finished his first year as a 4th round rookie.

guys be patient and trust in who we have.. no one we draft this year at the wr spot is going to come in and surplant any of the guys we have there now..

we should be pounding TH and WM all game anyway.. but if we have to make some plays in the passing game, the guys we have are going to be plenty good.
    I agree complety.....

Moulds took time to come into his own also, Reed was automatic in 2k2, I don't remeber him droping anything, last year was a lot of pressure for a young kid, and he started to come back to form at the end of the year. I think we can expect very big things to come.
    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

Ward never had a case of the dropsies as bad as Reed did though. During the Gilbride years, the general consensus was the Ward was being underutilized ... I don't think there's many people that think Reed deserves a larger role based on last year's performance.

I don't think drafting a WR is a solution for us ... but bringing in Northcutt or Jackson or one of the other FA receivers for a 2-year deal would be great. If Reed ends up taking the next step, he'll beat the guy out and then we'll have a great #3 (sorry, I disagree on Shaw - he's an ok #3, but nothing special). If Reed plays like he did last year, at least we'll then have 2 options out wide.

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Great post!

Spend the top picks n O line and QB of the future

Comment

• Ed
          Dude
          • Sep 2002

Shaw's nothing special? What #3 WR's out there in the league did so much better? He put up good numbers, lead the team in TD receptions and came up with a lot of clutch catches on third down.

Considering Moulds was injured most of the season and Bledsoe had the worst year of his career, I'd say Shaw played great last year for a #3. I mean we're never going to have 3 1,000+ yd WR's.

I like Shaw and I like Reed, and with a healthy Moulds, better protection and a smarter OC, I think they're going to have their best year of their careers so far.

Comment

• zone
            No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
            • Oct 2003

I would like to see some speed at the other Flanker, and have reed play slot.
            www.blzbus.com

Comment

• juice
              • Aug 2003

Reed needs a position coach who can help him maintain his level of concentration and intensity on gameday. Along with the physical ability to be an all star he has to develope the mentality. ACC

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

I wasn't trying to downplay Shaw's contributions ... like I said, I think he's ok as a #3.

But someone like Jerry Porter or Dennis Northcutt (if you consider him higher on Cleveland's depth chart, then I think either Davis or Morgan is better) is what I'd consider a great #3. I can't think of every teams 3 wideouts off the top of my head, so I'm not saying that's the end of my list, but both of them are head and shoulders above Shaw IMO.

Comment

• Bmax
                  • Aug 2003

i hope u guys are right .. my gut say no...on shaw reed has the deadly p word.. potential........I still want another weapon on offense.....if not wr what about te....Campbell is decent but when is the last time we had a guy that could go deep down the seam consistently.....Keith mckellar.....wow the time has come for the bills to go te early... Please no more lonnie johnson's

BMAX

WITH A TRADE DOWN OF COURSE....
                  Last edited by Bmax; 01-25-2004, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bmax
                    Campbell is decent but when is the last time we had a guy that could go deep down the seam consistently.....Keith mckellar.....wow the time has come for the bills to go te early...
                    Actually, Riemersma was pretty good at getting downfield and as far as Campbell, I still think he'd do better with an offensive coordinator who wasn't afraid of using him.
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• juice
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bmax
                      i hope u guys are right .. my gut say no...on shaw reed has the deadly p word.. potential........I still want another weapon on offense.....if not wr what about te....Campbell is decent but when is the last time we had a guy that could go deep down the seam consistently.....Keith mckellar.....wow the time has come for the bills to go te early... Please no more lonnie johnson's

BMAX

WITH A TRADE DOWN OF COURSE....
                      If we could draft a deep threat that could become an immediate impact player, Cambell would be a more than adequate TE in a running offense. A playmaker would free Reed up as the slot reciever which is a spot better suited his abilities. ACC RIVERS RD. 2

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• elltrain22
                        • Sep 2003

Very insightful analysis. You make very good points at 2 very similar WR's. Hines Ward although, was a bit more productive in his first 2 yrs than Josh, but it still gives me alot more hope going into next season for Reed.
                        If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• HotRod
                          Addicted to squares...
                          • Oct 2002

Great post.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Great post, T. It gets me thinking of how many more 2nd and 3rd year guys we have who, with experience and better coaching, might be ready to make an impact this year - Wire, Kelsay, Aiken, McGahee, McGee, and the whole O line under McNally, including Pucillo and Williams.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22
                              Hines Ward although, was a bit more productive in his first 2 yrs than Josh

16 0 15catches 246yards 0tds
                              16 14 61catches 638yards 7tds

hines ward - first 2 years
                              76 catches, 884 yards, 7 tds

josh reed - first 2 years
                              95 catches, 1097 yards, 4 tds

E, how are you judging production? because from what i see, reed was clearly the better WR for the first two years.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X