PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe staying in Alabama

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2004, 05:18 PM
This was on ESPN I think Salisbury that was reporting that Donahoe was supposed to fly back to Buffalo this week but he postponed his flight and will fly back next week to Buffalo. Donahoe wants to talk to Rivers and have the BILLS trainers work him out. Sounds like to me that Rivers impressed the BILLS so much that he might be our #1 choice. Has anyone else seen this? :clap:

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
This was on ESPN I think Salisbury that was reporting that Donahoe was supposed to fly back to Buffalo this week but he postponed his flight and will fly back next week to Buffalo. Donahoe wants to talk to Rivers and have the BILLS trainers work him out. Sounds like to me that Rivers impressed the BILLS so much that he might be our #1 choice. Has anyone else seen this? :clap:

I haven't seen that myself. If that is true very interesting.

juice
01-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Deep Threat needed in the 1st round or an "O" lineman. I wonder if Rivers would be around in the 2nd? ACC

DraftBoy
01-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Should be there...He preformed well but Im not so sure it was good enough to get him to jump to round 1.

juice
01-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Rivers would be a move for the future while a deep threat would fill an immediate need. A speed reciever could come into the system and impact the team this year While Rivers could be groomed for the future. ACC

ryven
01-25-2004, 06:11 PM
miami is need for a QB and if rivers was there by there pick they might snatch him up quick though I agree that we need a speed WR its deep in that department plus I am not giving up on brown yet.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
How can Miami :fish: get Rivers? were #13 and Miami is #20 they'll have to trade up and I don't think there going to trade up. besides lets draft rivers in round #1 we need a young QB and then find our WR in the second round. :clap:

The Quebecer
01-25-2004, 06:40 PM
This is TD playing poker again! He wants everyone and there mothers to think that the Bills will go for Rivers at #13! I have a strange feeling that Rivers isn't really the player he wants!
Just a feeling, no facts at all!

Later,
Pat

juice
01-25-2004, 06:41 PM
How can Miami :fish: get Rivers were #13 and Miami is #20 they'll have to trade up and I don't think there going to trade up. besides lets draft rivers in round #1 we need a young QB and then find our WR in the second round. :clap: I like QB better than any other position on the football field

WR pos. is deep but you still need linehelp and thats just on offense. That OL needs 1st or 2nd round help to even compete for a Postseason birth this season, thats the first priority. ACC

Dozerdog
01-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Juice-

We are not going to pass the ball very much next year. If we did pick a WR, he's have 40-50 grabs at the most.

Romes
01-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Judging from the fact that TD was willing to draft McGahee last year and let him sit a year...i think its very possible we could go for Rivers at #13.

lunatic_bills_fan
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
How can Miami :fish: get Rivers? were #13 and Miami is #20 they'll have to trade up and I don't think there going to trade up. besides lets draft rivers in round #1 we need a young QB and then find our WR in the second round. :clap:

I believe Rivers is kind of a stretch at #13. Miami doesnt have a 2nd rounder this year so if Rivers is still on the board he would almost def. get picked by the Phins.

elltrain22
01-25-2004, 06:58 PM
They might need to nab Rivers in the 1st round, b/c his draft status is skyrocketing. The guy can play QB, plain and simple. He would be a great draft choice, and Drew would be pissed!! Hopefully, we do draft him so Drew can start focusing on his task at hand, otherwise, his you know what will be sitting.

juice
01-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Juice-

We are not going to pass the ball very much next year. If we did pick a WR, he's have 40-50 grabs at the most.

Dog-

We still have to pass the ball which we couldn't do at all this season even with a run game. 40-50 grabs would be more than enough as long as 1 or 2 attempts/gm are real attempts that stretch the "D". You need a 1st round caliber reciever to free Moulds of double teams. A legit #2 doesn't have to put up Price type #'s to help this offense regress to were it was 2 seasons ago.

Until WM is ready to PLAY BALL, I dont think the Bills will be successful trying to run 5'9 Henry 30 times /GM, his body wont hold up he is too small.

You have to be able to pass in the NFL to win or even to have an effective run game. I dont buy this run game theory because the entire league is set up to help passing games of teams prosper and to put up points. What are we going to do run the ball 75% of the time? I'd like to see it happen but I dont think so.

I dont see the run game carrying this or any other team deep into the playoffs, not with the current players

lordofgun
01-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Josh Reed will be just fine alongside a healthy EM. :D

Dozerdog
01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
Please, Juice...

......Eric Moulds was half speed with the Hammy, Bledsoe was awful- and the playcalling and offensive design was so complicated and stupid (Sam Gash at WR??? 5 yard patterns on 3rd and 12??) All the speedy WRs in the world would not have made a difference last season

The Bills do not "Need" to spend the top pick at WR. There are a ton of WRs in this draft- the strongest WR draft in some time. I'd rather draft Rivers or Vernon Carey way to high than get a WR .

They will Run the ball. Probably 60/40 in favor of the run

juice
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
We're setting our QB up for failure if he doesn't have the proper personel in each position. Reed will never show the ability to create separation due to a lack of speed he should play the #3 reciever.

Dozerdog
01-25-2004, 07:30 PM
WR isn't one of them.

Lone Stranger
01-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Those of you who think we need a speed receiver are being seduced by TD. This will only justify Bledsoe's bad season and eventually lead to a presumption of a wide open passing attack. If we are going to be a running team we need to beef up the line not add a wide receiver although one might be helpful down the line. Let's improve the OL and provide help wherever necessary. A WR is not that much a priorty.

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by fmr60
Those of you who think we need a speed receiver are being seduced by TD. This will only justify Bledsoe's bad season and eventually lead to a presumption of a wide open passing attack. If we are going to be a running team we need to beef up the line not add a wide receiver although one might be helpful down the line. Let's improve the OL and provide help wherever necessary. A WR is not that much a priorty.

WTF, has TD come out and blamed on the receivers? I don't think so he blamed it on a lot of people no one in particular.

juice
01-25-2004, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dozerdog
[B] Pleae...Eric Moulds was half speed with the Hammy, Bledsoe was awful- and the playcalling and offensive design was so complicated and stupid (Sam Gash at WR??? 5 yard patterns on 3rd and 12??)

My point was that I would try to fill another whole with the first pick not draft Rivers first even though I like him alot.
I think that the only way you win in the NFL is with a pass game, and IMO we will have to pass and run efficently to make a playoff run.
With the current recieving core and Reed playing out of position I dont think Moulds can prosper. ACC

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 07:47 PM
hole!:up::beer:

LEVYTATION
01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey new to the board.
I think that they will try to strengthen the o-line. Even though Drew was rocky he still got bashed around alot. Give him a couple of seconds and he will produce. You can always pick up a speedy WR in the second he just wont be 6'4 with 4.3 speed.

lordofgun
01-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LEVYTATION
Hey new to the board.
I think that they will try to strengthen the o-line. Even though Drew was rocky he still got bashed around alot. Give him a couple of seconds and he will produce. You can always pick up a speedy WR in the second he just wont be 6'4 with 4.3 speed.

Welcome, LEVYTATION. :up:

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey new to the board.

Welcome to the board and don't be a stranger. I would like us to obtain an additional 2nd Rnd. pick somehow and address the o-line in Rnd. 1 and in 2a grab another o-linemaen and a QB and in the 3rd Ben Watson.

LEVYTATION
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the Welcome. I do agree that we need to have a young QB for longevity's sake, but if we trade up, lets get some fat in the middle so we either have some bruisers to make a large hole to give Henry some room to run, or give Drew some time to throw.

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 08:12 PM
I don't think we will nedd to trade up to get the o-linemne most of us want in Vernon Carey an OG from Miami. If anything we will trade down and hopefully get that additional 2nd round pick I was speaking of.:up:

LEVYTATION
01-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Question-Willis or Travis at running back

Jeff1220
01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Maybe TD plans on trying to trade down in order to receive an additional 2nd rnd pick. He could pick OL or Rivers at about 19 or so and possibly pick up another 2nd. The Ravens gave up a more than that to N.E. to move up for Boller.

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Question-Willis or Travis at running back

Both for this season after that all bets are off especially if Willis proves he is 100% healthy and effective.

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Maybe TD plans on trying to trade down in order to receive an additional 2nd rnd pick. He could pick OL or Rivers at about 19 or so and possibly pick up another 2nd. The Ravens gave up a more than that to N.E. to move up for Boller.

That would be great to pick Rivers at 19 if only to stick it to the Dolphins who pick 20th...:rofl::lol:

LEVYTATION
01-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info-talk to ya'll tomorrow

The Spaz
01-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info-talk to ya'll tomorrow

We'll all be looking forward to it!:cheers:

The Natrix
01-25-2004, 09:44 PM
I would have no problem seeing the #13 pick used on Rivers.

Turf
01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Look at my avatar. It sucks. No eye candy. Nothing flashy. It's not about an individual player. It's not about me.
It's about linemen. And we still need more.

lordofgun
01-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
No eye candy. Nothing flashy.

It fits you. :D

ryjam282
01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I really don't see what the difference is between getting Rivers at #13 or #19. I mean how much of a drop in price will there be? Not a whole lot. I think we get him at #13 and get the WR in round 2. That position is very deep this year and I still think we can have a few runs at some decent OL help in round 2. Not to mention all the FA's that will be available at both WR and OL. We can fill some holes there before the draft....Just my 2 cents but I think TD will do the right thing. After watching Rivers though, we would be stupid not to snatch him up at #13. The guy can flat out play...

Ryan

juice
01-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I really don't see what the difference is between getting Rivers at #13 or #19. I mean how much of a drop in price will there be? Not a whole lot. I think we get him at #13 and get the WR in round 2. That position is very deep this year and I still think we can have a few runs at some decent OL help in round 2. Not to mention all the FA's that will be available at both WR and OL. We can fill some holes there before the draft....Just my 2 cents but I think TD will do the right thing. After watching Rivers though, we would be stupid not to snatch him up at #13. The guy can flat out play...

Ryan

An extra second rounder, to maybe get a lineman or speed reciever. ACC

BADTHINGSMAN
01-25-2004, 11:32 PM
I still say look for some OL help via FA.. Could pick up a speedy WR via FA as well.. If Rivers is still there at pick 13 I say trade the pick for later 1st rounder 16-19 area and an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick.. Get Rivers if possible in the 1st round if he is gone look for a WR or OL.. Every year TD has been in Buffalo he has pulled something big on the 1st day of the draft.. This year wont be any different.. TD could be getting Rivers Hyped up hoping that a team in front of Buffalo will take him instead of player that team was looking at..

juice
01-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Any word on the late Sportscenter about the innitial report of TD staying in Alabama to look at Rivers in particular? ACC

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-25-2004, 11:52 PM
It was on ESPN radio but nothing on Sportscenter about it.

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by juice
Dog-

I dont think the Bills will be successful trying to run 5'9 Henry 30 times /GM, his body wont hold up he is too small.

i remember another guy who was 5'9" who got the ball around 30 times a game.. what was his name.. oh yeah.. emmitt smith. same size exactly as henry.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i remember another guy who was 5'9" who got the ball around 30 times a game.. what was his name.. oh yeah.. emmitt smith. same size exactly as henry.

Exactly and people seem to also forget that Henry may be 5'9" but he is also like 215-220 and bench presses a house he is by no means a pushover.

Bmax
01-26-2004, 06:51 AM
DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CAREY...Anybody have a link .. on his scouting breakdown .. Where does kiper rank him .... ?

Bmax

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Bmax
DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CAREY...Anybody have a link .. on his scouting breakdown .. Where does kiper rank him .... ?

Bmax

Top Guard in the draft, from Miami, FL- 330 pounds, can play almost any position on the line (except Center) top 3-4 OL in the draft behind tackles Gallery and Andrews.

His big knock - might have a weight problem- NFL Channel says he could eat his way out of the 1st round. Projected to go late first (20th or so) or early second.

SABURZFAN
01-26-2004, 07:15 AM
i read somewhere that marino wasn't interested in rivers because of his arm strength and that he wanted a QB with a strong arm.i wouldn't be surprised if he's groomed to be favre's replacement in Green Bay or if Carolina moves up over Green Bay to get him.

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 07:17 AM
You think Carolina is not happy with Dellahomme?

Carolina is goingt o grab one of the top WR's or a CB in Rd 1

SABURZFAN
01-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
You think Carolina is not happy with Dellahomme?

i didn't say that.i've read where Carolina personnel were considering him because he's a home state product.

TigerJ
01-26-2004, 08:44 AM
I think that TD probably is interested in Rivers. I imagine he is also interested in a number of other players as first round choices of the Bills. I don't think TD makes the mistake of narrowing his options, especially at the end of January. You can't predict how the draft will fall, so you have to be ready for just about any eventuality. At this point, I don't think Rivers would be rated a good value at 13. That could change by draft day. I've also been hearing that Miami would be interested in Rivers at #20. If TD ends up targeting Rivers, he might try to trade down a little, but stay ahead of Miami, but that's only if players end up at the same value they are right now in the eyes of NFL teams. Of course, things are constantly changing.

Earthquake Enyart
01-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Walter Peyton too.

I think it's a smokescreen. No way we take Rivers in the first. If he's there in the second, ok.

Remember that TD and the Bills were one of the few teams not to go to McGehee's workout. I would tend not to read much into wtf TD does here until the draft.

juice
01-26-2004, 09:22 AM

Emmitt had the best lines in the history of the NFL and wasn't finishing runs trying to bowl over 250 lbs LB's like TH. Our line sucks. ACC

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Emmitt had the best lines in the history of the NFL and wasn't finishing runs trying to bowl over 250 lbs LB's like TH. Our line sucks. ACC

he had the best line in history for several years.. but not his whole career by any means.. and peyton didnt have a great line either and he played just as physical if not MORE..

i think it is a moot point.. henry is a beast and is a legit running back... he might only last 6-8 seasons w/ the way he runs.. but the guy can handle 30 carries a game if we needed him to. period.

Originally posted by TigerJ
I think that TD probably is interested in Rivers. I imagine he is also interested in a number of other players as first round choices of the Bills. I don't think TD makes the mistake of narrowing his options, especially at the end of January. You can't predict how the draft will fall, so you have to be ready for just about any eventuality. At this point, I don't think Rivers would be rated a good value at 13. That could change by draft day. I've also been hearing that Miami would be interested in Rivers at #20. If TD ends up targeting Rivers, he might try to trade down a little, but stay ahead of Miami, but that's only if players end up at the same value they are right now in the eyes of NFL teams. Of course, things are constantly changing.

the more i think about it... the more i really dont mind if rivers value goes up and we take him in the first.. i really dont think that i would be disappointed.. i mean.. he absolutely IS the qb that i want for this team.. and it really would break my heart to see miami get him.. so if we have to burn an earlier pick to make sure we get our guy.. then fine. do it.. imho...

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 10:12 AM

he had the best line in history for several years.. but not his whole career by any means.. and peyton didnt have a great line either and he played just as physical if not MORE..

i think it is a moot point.. henry is a beast and is a legit running back... he might only last 6-8 seasons w/ the way he runs.. but the guy can handle 30 carries a game if we needed him to. period.

the more i think about it... the more i really dont mind if rivers value goes up and we take him in the first.. i really dont think that i would be disappointed.. i mean.. he absolutely IS the qb that i want for this team.. and it really would break my heart to see miami get him.. so if we have to burn an earlier pick to make sure we get our guy.. then fine. do it.. imho...

You know we always could wait till the last minute trade down to 19 and pick just ahead of Miami!:lol::rofl:

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 10:14 AM
what are some of you guys smoking? Henry is the prototype for a back who can handle 30 carries a game.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
This is about the draft please don't make it anything different!:beer:

TedMock
01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Rivers made himself a first rounder with that game Saturday. If we don't take him, I'd bet my life that Miami snags him in the first. We definitely need OG help and I'd love to see a speedy WR come in but we also need a QB to groom for a year or 2. This is a very tough call. As far as River's arm strength is concerned, it looked just fine to me. He went deep in that game and threw the ball on a rope. I believe it was 50 or 55 yards and a strike. His arm's fine. Lossman wasn't as impressive and the dropoff after that was very noticeable. Harris, Navarre, etc.. none of the other QB's were near as impressive on either side. How deep is OL talent this year? Will one of the top interior lineman be available for us in the 2nd? Maybe we pick up a speedster via free agency? Tough call.

Stewie
01-26-2004, 10:38 AM

Until WM is ready to PLAY BALL, I dont think the Bills will be successful trying to run 5'9 Henry 30 times /GM, his body wont hold up he is too small.

I gotta disagree.. What would 3 extra inches do? Make his legs 1 inch longer for extra durability? IMO, being taller just gives him more area to get pounded on. Plus, being smaller requires less energy.

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Henry hasn't shown me anything that says he can't handle 30 carries per. He doesn't seem to wear down during a game or during a season, plays hurt, and benches the 2nd most on the team.

WM hasn't played a down, and all of the sudden he can handle the full load in the NFL? He couln't even handle college hits, or at least his weak knee couldn't.

juice
01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Henry hasn't shown me anything that says he can't handle 30 carries per. He doesn't seem to wear down during a game or during a season, plays hurt, and benches the 2nd most on the team.

WM hasn't played a down, and all of the sudden he can handle the full load in the NFL? He couln't even handle college hits, or at least his weak knee couldn't.

He was injured all year and couldn't open a hole for himself when his line was not opening running lanes.

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
You know we always could wait till the last minute trade down to 19 and pick just ahead of Miami!:lol::rofl:

one thing you have to also take into consideration is that someone is only going to jump up if one of the top prospects falls through the cracks and makes it down to us.. it takes two to tango.. just cuz we may want to trade down doesnt mean that someone will want to trade up.

Originally posted by TedMock
Rivers made himself a first rounder with that game Saturday. If we don't take him, I'd bet my life that Miami snags him in the first. We definitely need OG help and I'd love to see a speedy WR come in but we also need a QB to groom for a year or 2. This is a very tough call. As far as River's arm strength is concerned, it looked just fine to me. He went deep in that game and threw the ball on a rope. I believe it was 50 or 55 yards and a strike. His arm's fine. Lossman wasn't as impressive and the dropoff after that was very noticeable. Harris, Navarre, etc.. none of the other QB's were near as impressive on either side. How deep is OL talent this year? Will one of the top interior lineman be available for us in the 2nd? Maybe we pick up a speedster via free agency? Tough call.

there are several good guards available.. the one that comes to mind immediately is Peterson from LSU.. he looked very good in the senior bowl... also jake grove, the best center in the nation would also be a good pick in the 2nd.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 12:27 PM
He was <B>injured</b> you just said it yourself and he still had 1300 yards and 10 td's.

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 12:49 PM
i actually would be almost as happy with peterman or grove in the second and even snell in the 3rd round if we dont grab an olineman earlier..

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
i actually would be almost as happy with peterman or grove in the second and even snell in the 3rd round if we dont grab an olineman earlier..

I take it you don't like Justin Smiley? Although he did come out early so I can see him not being able to start right away for us.

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 01:44 PM
I take it you don't like Justin Smiley? Although he did come out early so I can see him not being able to start right away for us.

dont know much about him.. i have seen the others play.. i havent been able to find a write up on smiley.. but he is an option.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 01:50 PM
http://nfldraft.fasthost.tv/JustinSmiley.GIFhttp://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/pop/pic/og/justinsmiley.jpg
<B>Justin Smiley</b>

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/profiles/og/justinsmiley.html

TedMock
01-26-2004, 01:54 PM
funny, he doesn't look Smiley.

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 02:06 PM

i found this interesting article too about the juniors coming out. it mentioned him.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2054774

Justin Smiley, OG Jr. - Alabama
Projected: late 2nd to late 3rd round
Good or bad move? Smiley has a great combination of feet and strength. He'll be a ten-year fixture for someone's line

it also had some interesting info on alot of other guys.. and just to point out how truely deep this draft is at the wr position.. take a look at these guys, who are getting no press whatsoever.. but are bigtime playmakers..

Devard Darling, WR Jr. - Washington State
Projected: late 2nd to 3rd round
Good or bad move? Yet another big receiver with speed in the draft, it'll be interesting to see if Darling gets lost in the shuffle among the other top receivers. He could become a late first round pick with a few great workouts. He led the Cougars in receiving this year. The NFL always likes home-run hitting receivers with size.

Derrick Hamilton, WR/KR Jr. - Clemson
Projected: 2nd round
Good or bad move? There isn't a better combination of deep-threat receiver/kick returner in the draft. He'd be a 2nd-3rd round pick as a receiver alone, and some team is going to be enamored with his 6-4 size and ability in the open-field.

P.K. Sam, WR Jr. - Florida State
Projected: 3rd to 4th round
Good or bad move? This is a bad move in a receiver-rich draft. Sam is a big receiver that can fly coming into his own as the season went on. It's not that Sam isn't going to be a good pro and could quickly become the draft riser Javon Walker was a few years ago, but he would've been a sure top 50 pick with another year in the Nole offense.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 02:09 PM
I would take Smiley in the 3rd if he's available. Thanks for the other information T, good stuff!:up::beer:

Throne Logic
01-26-2004, 02:10 PM
. . .just cuz we may want to trade down doesnt mean that someone will want to trade up.

This is pretty much how TD ended up drafting Willis last year. No one wanted to trade into Buffalo's #23 spot, so TD took what he felt was the best available option at that spot.

#13 is a bit different. There will be a number of good options for TD to select. Personally, one game doesn't sell me on anyone. I don't think a Rookie QB is going to help this team at all in 2004. With the current talent level on this team, I'd be going into the draft to get someone who can make a difference sooner, rather than later (OL, C).

Turf
01-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

It fits you. :D

Badda BinG!! :anvil:

You left out my lack of personality though. :freako:

baalworship
01-26-2004, 05:16 PM
The draft is about taking the best player available. To me, Rivers is even more impressive than Chad Pennington when he came out in the draft. Rivers flat out WINS and makes plays. With Bledsoe taking 50 sacks a year and his play in decline it would be folly not to seriously consider Rivers.

socalfan
01-26-2004, 10:08 PM
one thing you have to also take into consideration is that someone is only going to jump up if one of the top prospects falls through the cracks and makes it down to us.. it takes two to tango.. just cuz we may want to trade down doesnt mean that someone will want to trade up............................

If TD stayed in the south, I wonder if it wasn't to help drum up some business.....get some else interested in moving into the 13th slot for a trade ala Baltimore and NE last year???

SABURZFAN
01-27-2004, 07:01 AM

i could live with peterman or grove but i don't think snell is all that good.

superbills
01-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

This is pretty much how TD ended up drafting Willis last year. No one wanted to trade into Buffalo's #23 spot, so TD took what he felt was the best available option at that spot.

#13 is a bit different. There will be a number of good options for TD to select. Personally, one game doesn't sell me on anyone. I don't think a Rookie QB is going to help this team at all in 2004. With the current talent level on this team, I'd be going into the draft to get someone who can make a difference sooner, rather than later (OL, C).

One game? This kid's been lighting it up for a very long time now. People ***** about his delivery, can't throw long, etc. And every time he comes out, at every level of competition, he has proven that he will rise up and lead his team down the field and do the most important thing...win! I've been watching Rivers for a while now, keeping my eye on him while salivating over Manning and Rothlesberger. Let me tell you...this kid's ability to lead his team and win brings him up to he level of those other guys.

If we pass on this kid at 13 (or trade down and don't take him) he won't be available in the 2nd. He will go to the Dolphins who will make us regret the day we passed him over for the next 15 years. Now, I know there are no gurantees and that QBs are always a crap shoot, but I can't find anything wrong with Rivers. He reminds me of Marino with that delivery. It may be low, but he gets the ball out so quick that lineman don't have time to react to the ball to knock it down.

I won't blow up One Bills Drive if we don't take him, I just think we need to look long and hard at QB being a real need for this team. If Bledsoe blows up again this year, what are we going to do then? We need to get our QB of the future now and I would argue that QB is as critical a need as any other position at this point.