X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

NFL Quietly Admits Missed Calls Helped Patriots

The competition committee is expected to take a look at officials becoming flag-shy in the postseason. Judging by the defensive game plans of New England's Bill Belichick and Carolina's John Fox in the AFC and NFC championship games, coaches obviously are anticipating officials allowing more physical play in the playoffs. After the fact, the league office quietly admitted that Walt Coleman's crew missed six calls against the Patriots in the AFC championship game, including a defensive holding on third down with 1:51 remaining in the game, and a pass interference on the subsequent fourth down. The Patriots led 21-14 at the time. The victim on both non-calls was Colts TE Marcus Pollard. Officials also admit holding by Patriots G Joe Andruzzi on Colts DE Robert Mathis was missed on a fourth-and-9 that the Patriots converted in the second quarter. The Patriots ended the drive with a field goal for a 13-0 lead.

• Michael82
    • Jul 2002

defensive holding? 10 yard penalty and automatic FIRST DOWN! The Pass interference is even worse and would have helped the Colts even more.

Comment

• Billsouth
      • Jul 2002

the officiating sucked this year. i can honestly say that the officiating was WORSE than gregg williams coaching.
      "once a raider always a raider"

Comment

• helmetguy
        Touch the helmet for luck
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Billsouth
        the officiating sucked this year. i can honestly say that the officiating was WORSE than gregg williams coaching.
        I'd call it a draw!
        Someone said "What's he gonna turn out like?" Ha!
        And someone else said "Never mind!"

-Deep Purple

"Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?"--Ron White

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

Every year it gets worse.

Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Is anyone surprised by this? The officiating has been horrible all over the league the last few years. This article confirms it- I thought I only perceived the Patriots as being constant beneficiaries of bad calls because I hate them so much, but apparently it's the truth.

I hope carolina pounds the crap out of them next week.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Cntrygal
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Is anyone surprised by this? The officiating has been horrible all over the league the last few years. This article confirms it- I thought I only perceived the Patriots as being constant beneficiaries of bad calls because I hate them so much, but apparently it's the truth.

I hope carolina pounds the crap out of them next week.
              no kidding.... I'd like to see a shut out.
              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

• caveboy
                • Oct 2003

What I've I noticed also is that league-wide, the same penalty more often than not, is called differently. I've seen cases where a qb is hit well after the fact in one game and no flag, and a different game where the QB is 'grazed' ever-so slightly and it's an automatic 1st-down. That's b.s.

How hard is it for these guys to spot an obvious late hit? There's enough refs to watch pretty much the entire field –they all have their particular areas they cover. So why can't they be consistant? Golic on ESPN said after the NE game last week, that there's holding on every play both ways and coaches adjust to how the game is called. Even Ty Law said afterward that they were trying to get away with as much they could. (Figures, they couldn't play a game straight up anyway without mugging WRs.)

I'm not talking about the fouls away from the ball, just the obvious ones. The refs need to set the tone for this NE game from the get go. First bump by a NE corner should get flagged.

By the way, Mr. Peppers, meet Tom Brady. Sorry about that hit Tom.

;-p
                "Your job is to protect your quarterback – me."

Comment

• Cntrygal
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by caveboy
                  What I've I noticed also is that league-wide, the same penalty more often than not, is called differently. I've seen cases where a qb is hit well after the fact in one game and no flag, and a different game where the QB is 'grazed' ever-so slightly and it's an automatic 1st-down. That's b.s.

How hard is it for these guys to spot an obvious late hit? There's enough refs to watch pretty much the entire field –they all have their particular areas they cover. So why can't they be consistant?

Great post!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsouth
                    that's a pick'em.
                    Originally posted by yordad
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• mybills
                      81 st zoner
                      • Jul 2002

To hear a Pats fan sitting two bar stools down from you admit that they got lucky, says it all!
                      I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Pride
                        • Jul 2002

My HS coach always said... if you aren't cheating, you arent trying hard enough.

Of course, when we got flagged we got in trouble too

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

I believe Carolina and NE did get the benefit of the calls in their championship games. That is not to say that both didn't deserve to win. I am very disappointed in the officiating. I just hope we don't see the same article about the Super Bowl. It truly takes away from the game when there is such bad officiating.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mybills
                            To hear a Pats fan sitting two bar stools down from you admit that they got lucky, says it all!
                            They should still be greatful they got to/won the SB 2 years ago when they "beat" oakland cuz of that tuck rule.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Everyone knows that the Pats and Packers get every freaking call.

Comment

Working...
                              X