PDA

View Full Version : First Round possibilites

ShadowHawk7
01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
What would u guys like to use our fist rounder on? Let the arguments begin…
[list=1]
QB
TE (winslow)
speed WR
C
OG (carey)
RB (heheh, jus kidding)
DE (Udeze, Smith)
CB
FS (hope Taylor slips [yea rite..])
DT
trade up (For Manning or Taylor, our 13th pick + [suggest sumthing. Possibly Ruben B or our 2nd rounder. If Taylor slips to 7th pick, should we trade up immediately?])
trade down (nab a mid 20’s + and mid 2nd rounder. Could be VERY useful for the deep class of speed receivers and 2nd round caliber O-linemen.)
[/list=1]

I would not go with WR or TE b/c Moulds is one of the best (as TO himself said) Reed is NOT a bust until after his third year, and Shaw is great in he slot. We could possibly get Northcutt in the FA and put him at #2 for his speed. But I'm not giving up on Sam Aiken who showed sum promise, and Mini Moulds quite yet. Mark Campbell has proven he is a good, reliable starting TE, that was worth our 6th round pick. He has good hands, can block, and can run routes. He also shows grit for taking those huge hits. We also signed him an extension. Getting Winslow wud nullify that. I don't think we should trade up for Manning or Big Ben, b/c I'm willing to give Drew one more shot. WE DEFINTITELY shud draft a round 2 or 3 QB, that wud challenge Bledsoe for his spot IF he doesn't step it up. I don't belive we'd draft an OG/C first round b/c talent is preety thin there. At the current moment there is not a real dominant DE in the draft. Udeze would be a fine pick, but would not be much of an immediate upgrade to Kelsay/Denney, if ne at all. He may develop to be a star but you could say the same for Kelsay would showed good promise at the end of the year. I much rather grab a FA like Hicks to rotate w/ Kelsay/Denney. Getting a corner back would be interesting. Instead of grabbing a star FA or resigning the proven Winfield, we opt for a rookie. That’s not a TD move, so don’t expect anything at all like that. An FS would be great. Sean Taylor will give the Bills the turnovers the desperately need. Sum of this is one the pass rush but I don’t think at Udeze would fix that. I think it’s worth it to trade up for him. DT is solid w/ Adams, and Williams, but we should get sum depth for the position, possibly in the 4th\5th round. Right now I’d only trade up for Taylor. I say that b/c we REELY need him, and he may drop to 6 or 7, which is a lot less compensation we’d have to give a team to move up to 1 or 2 no nab manning/Big Ben. If we trade down There I am done. Comments are welcome.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 11:06 AM
We already had a thread like this by Dozerdogg!

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Let the guy speak, Spaz! :chair:

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

Sorry!:cry::beer:

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 11:53 AM
If Taylor or a select few others are gone, I'd trade down to 19 or so (if a team is willing) then I*'d grab Carey-G or if Rivers is that hot- him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-26-2004, 12:08 PM
I have been becoming a big fan of drafting Michael Clayton out of LSU. I think he is very underrated.

ryven
01-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
[list=1]
QB
TE (winslow)
speed WR
C
OG (carey)
RB (heheh, jus kidding)
DE (Udeze, Smith)
CB
DT
trade up (For Manning or Taylor, our 13th pick + [suggest sumthing. Possibly Ruben B or our 2nd rounder. If Taylor slips to 7th pick, should we trade up immediately?])
trade down (nab a mid 20’s + and mid 2nd rounder. Could be VERY useful for the deep class of speed receivers and 2nd round caliber O-linemen.)
[/list=1]

I would not go with WR or TE b/c Moulds is one of the best (as TO himself said) Reed is NOT a bust until after his third year, and Shaw is great in he slot. We could possibly get Northcutt in the FA and put him at #2 for his speed. But I'm not giving up on Sam Aiken who showed sum promise, and Mini Moulds quite yet. Mark Campbell has proven he is a good, reliable starting TE, that was worth our 6th round pick. He has good hands, can block, and can run routes. He also shows grit for taking those huge hits. We also signed him an extension. Getting Winslow wud nullify that. I don't think we should trade up for Manning or Big Ben, b/c I'm willing to give Drew one more shot. WE DEFINTITELY shud draft a round 2 or 3 QB, that wud challenge Bledsoe for his spot IF he doesn't step it up. I don't belive we'd draft an OG/C first round b/c talent is preety thin there. At the current moment there is not a real dominant DE in the draft. Udeze would be a fine pick, but would not be much of an immediate upgrade to Kelsay/Denney, if ne at all. He may develop to be a star but you could say the same for Kelsay would showed good promise at the end of the year. I much rather grab a FA like Hicks to rotate w/ Kelsay/Denney. Getting a corner back would be interesting. Instead of grabbing a star FA or resigning the proven Winfield, we opt for a rookie. That’s not a TD move, so don’t expect anything at all like that. An FS would be great. Sean Taylor will give the Bills the turnovers the desperately need. Sum of this is one the pass rush but I don’t think at Udeze would fix that. I think it’s worth it to trade up for him. DT is solid w/ Adams, and Williams, but we should get sum depth for the position, possibly in the 4th\5th round. Right now I’d only trade up for Taylor. I say that b/c we REELY need him, and he may drop to 6 or 7, which is a lot less compensation we’d have to give a team to move up to 1 or 2 no nab manning/Big Ben. If we trade down There I am done. Comments are welcome.

I have really started to like rivers these last couple of weeks but I dont think we will pick him with our first round one pick but I dont think he will make it out of round one. so here is my first three rounds:
1: WR Reggie Williams
2: OG (dont know of many inthis years draft but heard there maybe a couple in rd 2 worth looking at.)
3: QB Cody Pickett (he has potential(sp?) he needs some work but IMO not as much as Harris. So Cody would be my pick at this point other wise go for a TE and wait until rd.4 and pick up harris witch is another good prospect.)

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I did hear on the NFL channel that Schotty is considering keeping Brees , trading the #1 pick (similar to the Vick deal) and getting Taylor or Gallery somewhere between 4-7.

Don't know how feasible it is, but a trade with the Steelers or Cards is a possibility if they want Manning bad enough. Not Sure if the Chargers are willing to drop any father back than that however. Schotty needs t win now and waiting for a QB to develop in 2-3 seasons is too long.

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
I would like for us to trade down to #19 get an addition 2nd Rnd. pick then select Phillip Rivers to tick off the Dolphins!:evil:

elltrain22
01-26-2004, 12:23 PM
I could definelty see SD trading down to get sean taylor. If they do they will have passed on Vick and Eli Manning; can you say dumb a**.

Bmax
01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
I'm For drafting the best player at 13 and filling a need...or for trading down and picking up a extra pick....

Stay at 13 reggie williams

Draft will smith or udeze if williams is not there and take a wr in rd two.....

If trade down occurs take best available ol at 19-25...

Then draft wr in rd 2 and de or qb with remaining two first day picks...

Bmax

ShadowHawk7
01-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

lol, thankx, so wut wud u guys be willing to give up to move up to 6 and nab Taylor?

SABURZFAN
01-27-2004, 07:11 AM
i'd try to trade down,get an extra pick,and try to land carey.if that fails,just take carey because he can play G and T.he would need to keep his weight in check too.i couldn't stand to have another j.nails.

the only guy that would interest me to trade up is gallery.that would enable us to move jennings to RG.

TigerJ
01-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Can you imagine, San Diego gets a chance to draft a Manning after they missed the last time (drafting Ryan Leaf instead) and they pass on it?

It's easier for me to say what I wouldn't use the first round pick on (at #13 at least) than to identify any one position I would feel compelled to address. There is no one position I feel compelled to address.

I would not use the #13 pick on an offensive lineman because there is none rated an appropriate value for #13 at a position we need. Same thing with safety (Taylor will be gone). Obviously, no kicker or punter. I wouldn't take a linebacker, running back or fullback.

Free agency will probably add some more to that list, but as of now that leaves, QB, WR, TE, DE, DT, or CB. From that list, WR, TE, and DE seem to me to deserve higher priority than the others. If it were to be a QB, Rivers is the guy, but it's still a little iffy in my mind whether he really justifies a #13 pick or not. DT is not as high a priority because Buffalo already has starters there. CB depends on the Winfield situation and/or whatever free agent Buffalo might pursue as a replacement.

There will be a WR available who would be a reasonable value at #13. If not Reggie Williams, who is the highest rated WR with any chance of dropping, then Micahel Clayton of Michael Jenkins.

Tight end is a little trickier. Kellen Winslow Jr. looks less and less like he'll be available as time goes on. Ben Troupe is not as complete, because he hasn't blocked as much, and less experienced. Some think he's a decent value at #13 Others rate him a second round value. He will be available.

At DE there is Kenechi Udeze and Will Smith. Udeze now looks like a good value at #13, though two months ago he was not so regarded. He has passed Smith in the eyes of many. Smith has dropped but is still a good player and wouldn't be a bad player to take. He's smaller than Udeze but is still a well rounded player who can play both run and pass IMO.

Then there is the trade down option. If Buffalo does that, the most likely reason is to take Rivers at a better spot or to pick up one of the top guards, Carey or Snee. I'm not prepared to narrow the first round down any more than that at this point.

lordofgun
01-27-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree with you
Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
[list=1]
QB
TE (winslow)
speed WR
C
OG (carey)
RB (heheh, jus kidding)
DE (Udeze, Smith)
CB
DT
[/list=1]

I completely agree. Mostly because of the sweet big text. :up: