PDA

View Full Version : malarkey on WNSA with Jim Brinson

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Mike Malarkey was on talking to Brinson this morning on WNSA. JB asked him how the coaching staff was coming along? Malarkey said "that he's been talking to coaches almost everyday and that the staff is almost complete and will be announcing it very soon".
JB also asked him about if the BILLS would draft Rivers "he says most DEFINEATELY if he's there at #13 we would take him he's got a strong arm and very mobile and he would be a good QB for the future for us." So does this mean we'll take Rivers it shure sounds like it. :band:

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Yeah Baby! Drew will be on the bench come week 8.

LtBillsFan66
01-26-2004, 02:09 PM
TD said in an interview in Bills Digest that they will VERY likely draft a QB in the early rounds this year.

Romes
01-26-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
JB also asked him about if the BILLS would draft Rivers "he says most DEFINEATELY if he's there at #13 we would take him he's got a strong arm and very mobile and he would be a good QB for the future for us." So does this mean we'll take Rivers it shure sounds like it. :band:

I thought Rivers was not mobile :scratch:

Great post BillsChamp but can anyone else confirm this?

I would be happy with Rivers but this seems odd that 3 months before the draft, before the combine, we have already decided on our #13 pick. Heck, the Chargers haven't even decided and they don't have anyone before them.

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Romes

I thought Rivers was not mobile :scratch:

I've watched him in 4 games and he is definitely not a running QB, but he moves around nice in the pocket and can run for the first down if needed. In my opinion it is neccessary for a QB to effectively roll out, which he can do and Bledsoe can't. It opens up more options for the O on designed rollouts.

ryven
01-26-2004, 02:21 PM
The way I look at I dont care if we have a vick as QB as long as we have a guy who can move a little bit to give the WR more time to get free.

don137
01-26-2004, 02:22 PM
TD never tips his hand so it could be a ploy...One thing I learned about TD. Expect the unexpected.

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by don137
TD never tips his hand so it could be a ploy...One thing I learned about TD. Expect the unexpected.

Yeah but this time I really don't see any advantage to it being a ploy

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Yeah but this time I really don't see any advantage to it being a ploy

Sure there is Miami is in hot pursuit of Phillip Rivers and they don't have a 2nd round pick.:evil:

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz

Sure there is Miami is in hot pursuit of Phillip Rivers and they don't have a 2nd round pick.:evil:

Yeah but without a 2nd rounder how would Miami be able to move ahead of 13?

The Spaz
01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
They won't we deal down and Miami doesn't have the option of getting back ahead of us because they do lack a 2nd round pick.:evil:

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I've watched him in 4 games and he is definitely not a running QB, but he moves around nice in the pocket and can run for the first down if needed. In my opinion it is neccessary for a QB to effectively roll out, which he can do and Bledsoe can't. It opens up more options for the O on designed rollouts.

i have seen this on a couple different sites.. about him not being moble.. i have also watched at least 5-6 of his full games.. and i can say, without a shadow of a doubt is is mobile.. now, this doesnt mean that he is gonna outrun LBs and DBs.. but he will get away from most DL, and he is easily as moble as say, brett farve, or elway... he is NOT a scrambler.. but he moves around in the pocket alot and seems to step up in the pocket, as oppose to stumble backwards and take a sack like bledsoe does.

so to answer your question.. he IS mobile, and can avoid a blitz/rush.. he is NOT a scrambler.

Romes
01-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i have seen this on a couple different sites.. about him not being moble.. i have also watched at least 5-6 of his full games.. and i can say, without a shadow of a doubt is is mobile.. now, this doesnt mean that he is gonna outrun LBs and DBs.. but he will get away from most DL, and he is easily as moble as say, brett farve, or elway... he is NOT a scrambler.. but he moves around in the pocket alot and seems to step up in the pocket, as oppose to stumble backwards and take a sack like bledsoe does.

so to answer your question.. he IS mobile, and can avoid a blitz/rush.. he is NOT a scrambler.

Good to hear :up:

Tatonka
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by BillsChampsin04
"he says most DEFINEATELY if he's there at #13 we would take him he's got a strong arm and very mobile and he would be a good QB for the future for us."

so his exact words were if rivers is there at 13, the are taking him? :eek:

why in the F would he say that??? there is NO advantage to saying that.. and since when does MM make draft calls over TD and TM??

i need to hear the sound bite.. that just doesnt seem right..

maybe he was saying that he was WORTH a 13 pick.. meaning that the bills see him as a first rounder..

Bmax
01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Anybody that has read any of my posts knows that i'm not the biggest phillip rivers fan.... I see the talent but i'm very leary...

I can't see us drafting him at 13 this would be a big reach and a mistake ..So what if the dolphins like him at their position in rd 1 ..

Most scouts have rivers as the #3 qb .. anybody know where kiper has him...just curious.........Rivers in rd 2 ok or 3 but rd 1 ...why when we have such a need at ol and de and even wr..

Bmax

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
de and even wr..

Bmax

you have absolutely no patience:

02: Denny and Reed

03: Kelsay and Aiken

3 number 2s and a 4 invested in the last two years.

How long did it take for these players to show us something?:

Schoebel
Moulds
Price
Henry

QB is a far more pressing need. It is time to use the 1st on a QB. I'm tired of retreads. I want to see Rivers drafted at #13 (assuming a stud such as Taylor doesn't fall), see him succeed and retire a Bill. How is #13 such a reach??? Who is probably going to be at 13 that is SO much better than Rivers. I don't see anyone.

And a first round QB selection can only improve Bledsoe's play.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
right on NATRIX I agree with you 100% Let's take Rivers at #13

Bmax
01-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Well if i have no patient it's with our bad drafting ...Denney bust ....Not big enough to be a force on the run and not quick or athletic enough to be a big time pass rusher...

Kelsay sure .. he needs time ...but why wait .. when All teams in the nfl are trying to win now ....not next year...

i'M WATCHING EMPIRE AND FELSER MENTIONS THE BILLS MAY PURSUE WINSTROM IN FREE AGENCY.

Good move....

Reed is a 3rd wr in my opinon....Aiken is years away.....

So by waiting for these guys we wait to win.....

The wr's available in rd's 2-3
are much more talented than aiken......

THERE'S ROOM FOR AIKEN IN A DEVELOPEMENTAL ROLE.. JUST NOT AS A STARTER...FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS..

I'll take henderson in rd 2-(LSU-6-0-190-4.39-40) who could give us what bethel johnson gave the pats .. a spark to win two or 3 games that will get us in the playoffs for the first time in years..

Something that aiken-(4.6-40) can't and won't give us period.....

Dozerdog
01-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I smell smokescreen.

Bmax
01-26-2004, 04:20 PM
i agree...i expect ....another draft day surprise....

Bmax

The Natrix
01-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Maurice Clarrett?

ryguy8161
01-26-2004, 04:26 PM
All abord the Maurice Clarrett bandwagon!

Originally posted by Bmax

i'M WATCHING EMPIRE AND FELSER MENTIONS THE BILLS MAY PURSUE WINSTROM IN FREE AGENCY.

What makes Felser say this?

socalfan
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I smell smokescreen.

I think he probably knows that Rivers will already be gone. The last couple of years has produced at least one QB that was tagged for the 3-5 rounds and moved up to the first round.....Last year it was the kid from Stanford that could throw the ball through the uprights whilel kneeling at the 50 yard line.

I suspect that MM saw enough with the other coaching staffs this weekend to see that Rivers is now in the same boat.

Bmax
No he will be at ohio st or youngstown st....

I just hope he stays out of trouble and stays out of the state pen..

Bmax

Go buckeyes.....

Bmax
01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
I' don't know....he just threw it out there....I thought the rams would keep him....

I guess it's just his opinon....his choice ....

Thoughts ?

Romes
01-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
Last year it was the kid from Stanford that could throw the ball through the uprights whilel kneeling at the 50 yard line.

That was Kyle Boller and he was from Cal. If a Stanford fan heard you mistake a Boller for a Cardinal player he would probably have your head.

Originally posted by ryguy8161
All abord the Maurice Clarrett bandwagon!

I actually had a dream the other night that the Bills drafted Clarrett...confused and scared the crap out of me.

ryguy8161
01-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I just thought maybe Felser had some kind of inside info on it.

socalfan
01-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Romes
That was Kyle Boller and he was from Cal. If a Stanford fan heard you mistake a Boller for a Cardinal player he would probably have your head.

Thanks, I've lived out here for 12 years now, and I still don't follow the Pac 10. What can I say....I'm just a Big Ten transplant.

TigerJ
01-26-2004, 10:41 PM
I saw a little of Rivers in the Senior Bowl. That was my first exposure. I agree, he's not a scrambler, which is fine by me. What he did show that I don't usually see from Drew Bledsoe is the ability to feel the pressure and move away from it.

I thought 2 months ago that Buffalo would be taking Will Smith. There's been so much change in the draft board, perceived change by outside observers at least (as opposed to teams that don't really tell us much about what they're thinking usually) that I'm really ambivalent about the Bills draft choice. There are lots of possibilities, including Rivers. There probably aren't too many guys Buffalo could take that would really upset me at this point. Yeah, I wouldn't be very happy if they picked a linebacker as a couple of mocks I've seen have them doing, but otherwise I could argue that almost anyone they pick could be good for the team.

JefftheBillsfan
01-26-2004, 10:45 PM
..this just in...

larry felser, never, has inside info.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I saw a little of Rivers in the Senior Bowl. That was my first exposure. I agree, he's not a scrambler, which is fine by me. What he did show that I don't usually see from Drew Bledsoe is the ability to feel the pressure and move away from it.

I thought 2 months ago that Buffalo would be taking Will Smith. There's been so much change in the draft board, perceived change by outside observers at least (as opposed to teams that don't really tell us much about what they're thinking usually) that I'm really ambivalent about the Bills draft choice. There are lots of possibilities, including Rivers. There probably aren't too many guys Buffalo could take that would really upset me at this point. Yeah, I wouldn't be very happy if they picked a linebacker as a couple of mocks I've seen have them doing, but otherwise I could argue that almost anyone they pick could be good for the team.

i feel the same way tiger.. if we draft any TE other than winslow in the first.. i will kill someone.. and other than that i am pretty open. if it is a LB, then he better be able to surplant fletcher or posey immediately.

The_Philster
01-27-2004, 04:50 AM
TE and LB are two positions we shouldn't be wasting our 1st round pick on, period.

The Quebecer
01-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I smell smokescreen.

I've read somewhere that TD also did praise Rivers after the week in Mobile. I find it odd that TD would let everyone know what he will do, as he has been the perfect poker player since he became the Bills GM. Like he said : "stay tuned!" :nana:

Later,
Pat