PDA

View Full Version : If we draft a QB in the first round...

lordofgun
01-27-2004, 07:15 AM
...it will (most likely) be the second straight year when our first-round pick will have no impact on our season.

No thanks. We need to fill holes now and make a SB run before it's too late.

(That said, if for some ungodly reason, Ben or Eli were to fall into our laps, I wouldn't complain.)

SABURZFAN
01-27-2004, 07:17 AM
i agree.

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 07:18 AM
You are right the only way I see us picking a QB is is one of them fell. I just don't see us picking a QB unless we trade down and acquire an additional 2nd Rnd. pick. Other than doing that I just don't think we will do it. Then again our draft outlook could completely change if TD plans to go the FA route for a lot of our needs.

superbills
01-27-2004, 08:27 AM
I would argue that the only players who will make a real impact this year are the ones who will probably be off the board when we pick at 13. Anyone we draft (from the projections I've seen) will probably take at least a year to be a full-time starter.

So, given that, why shouldn't we take a QB in round 1? Especially a guy like Rivers who just knows how to win. This guy just ets better every time I see him. I would not complain one bit if we took him at 13 (or better yet traded down and stole him from the Dolphins).

Ð
01-27-2004, 08:28 AM
We need another running back

Devin
01-27-2004, 08:35 AM
be nice to grab rivers in the 1st (lower 1st of course) then with our 2 2nd rounders grab Lavalais and a ranked OL.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
...it will (most likely) be the second straight year when our first-round pick will have no impact on our season.

No thanks. We need to fill holes now and make a SB run before it's too late.

(That said, if for some ungodly reason, Ben or Eli were to fall into our laps, I wouldn't complain.)

you mean like byron leftwich didnt make any impact last year?

BillsMan80
01-27-2004, 09:10 AM
The only players who have a chance to be there and who fill a need for us, and that I feel would actually have a major impact this year are Reggie Williams, Roy Williams, Kellen Winslow, Shawn Andrews, Chris Gamble(If Winfield leaves), Vernon Carey(Later in the 1st), and possibly Jake Grove(later), but aside from that, this draft lacks front-line talent. It has a lot depth, but little front-line talent. I am very impressed with the WR prospects though, as Fitz, Williams, and Williams all seem ready to play a big role in their 1st year.

lordofgun
01-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
you mean like byron leftwich didnt make any impact last year?

I doubt they'd bench Drew this year. If they keep Drew, it won't be in a backup role. The only way a QB has an impact this year is MAYBE if Drew is injured.

No thanks. Not at #13. I could live with it if we traded down.

juice
01-27-2004, 09:34 AM
I doubt they'd bench Drew this year. If they keep Drew, it won't be in a backup role. The only way a QB has an impact this year is MAYBE if Drew is injured.

Right, they wont bench a Six Million dollar man, the same as Wade Phillips wouldn't bench Rob Johnson.

CanaanVtBillsFan
01-27-2004, 09:41 AM
I hate to say this but I recall Buffalo having a dilemma years ago over a decent running back who was challenged by another decent running back

What happened?
Whinning ,benching, complaining, injury,lack of training
And wasn't it the last game of his Bills career against Seattle his best performance?
But we let him gooooooooo!

We got the shaft and Antwane Smith is going for his second ring and is looking like a stud!

Who did we keep in place of him??????
Morris?Linton?

Travis is a Bull
So what the &(*(&(* we going to do with Willis????

We'll never go with a two back set without one of them whinning that I'm better
balh blah blah

I think it was a horrible draft
unless we trade him for quality players

Whats our WR Dilemma going to be
none of the three we got have anything to show for bragging rights this year
Shaw, Moulds, Reed

Boy I bet P. Price was laughing after the humiliation we got this year

So if we go for a QB I'll hop off the wagon Reaaaaaal Quick

I moved from Buffalo 3 yrs ago
and Guess were I live
Northern New Hampshire?Vermont Border
UGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

I get dogged left and right
They call themselves fans
PLEASE
They have no clue what it's like to grow up in Buffalo

The BILLS will always be my team

PATS SUCK!!!

GO PATHERS!

PEACE

TedMock
01-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Losing Peerless got us Takeo Spikes and I'd still take that tradeoff any day. Yes, Peerless stretched the field but he also dropped a lot of balls. Josh Reed dropped a bunch early but got back on track. He's obviously not a speedster. Even with Peerless, this offense wasn't going anywhere. Defenses figured it out, our QB had a terrible year, Moulds was injured and our interior OL sucked. Peerless would've been as productive in Buffalo as he was in Atlanta. McGahee was not a need and Henry's my favorite Bill right now but it's also real hard to let McGahee slide by. IF he comes back healthy, he'll be better than Henry. He's not a "scat back" or "change of pace back" the way some are touting him. The kid ran a 4.2 and is 6', 230lbs. Big, fast, athletic and can catch the ball. If not, we took a shot....we move on. At least we'll get a chance to have 2 awesome backs for one year.

ryven
01-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Losing Peerless got us Takeo Spikes and I'd still take that tradeoff any day. Yes, Peerless stretched the field but he also dropped a lot of balls. Josh Reed dropped a bunch early but got back on track. He's obviously not a speedster. Even with Peerless, this offense wasn't going anywhere. Defenses figured it out, our QB had a terrible year, Moulds was injured and our interior OL sucked. Peerless would've been as productive in Buffalo as he was in Atlanta. McGahee was not a need and Henry's my favorite Bill right now but it's also real hard to let McGahee slide by. IF he comes back healthy, he'll be better than Henry. He's not a "scat back" or "change of pace back" the way some are touting him. The kid ran a 4.2 and is 6', 230lbs. Big, fast, athletic and can catch the ball. If not, we took a shot....we move on. At least we'll get a chance to have 2 awesome backs for one year.

:bf1: :clap:

lordofgun
01-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by TedMock

I didn't have a problem with the McGahee pick. In fact, I liked it and still do! I just don't want a QB at #13 unless it's Ben or Eli.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
I think if Rivers was chosen at #13, Mularkey would not hesitate to bench Drew. He doesn't seem as stubborn as a Wade or G-dub and he would take a page from the Tom Brady situation.

Again, if not Rivers, WHO do you want instead that would most likely be there?

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 10:40 AM

do you think that brunell thought he was getting benched? do you think any of the fans thought that he was gonna be benched?.. he was a high paid well respected vet too.. but their new rookie head coach made a bold decision.. and i dont know that he wouldnt consider doing the same if drew lays an egg again midway through this season.

Throne Logic
01-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I think if Rivers was chosen at #13, Mularkey would not hesitate to bench Drew. He doesn't seem as stubborn as a Wade or G-dub and he would take a page from the Tom Brady situation.

If you believe this, then you must also believe that Buffalo would just simply cut Drew and move on with Rivers and some cheap veteran backup. Why keep an $8 million dollar QB ($6 salary + non-option charge) who's going to be on the bench?

Throne Logic
01-27-2004, 10:45 AM
For those of you seeking a new QB via the 1st round of this draft:

Would you guys consider trading down to the #1 or #2 spot this year to get one of these two QBs? You'd have to give up your #1 for this year and most likely the #1 for next year, also. Food for thought.

Jan Reimers
01-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Devin
be nice to grab rivers in the 1st (lower 1st of course) then with our 2 2nd rounders grab Lavalais and a ranked OL.

What is this fixation that so many have for Lavalais? He is well down the list of DTs in most draft service ratings.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

If you believe this, then you must also believe that Buffalo would just simply cut Drew and move on with Rivers and some cheap veteran backup. Why keep an $8 million dollar QB ($6 salary + non-option charge) who's going to be on the bench?

first off, I'm 99% sure Bledsoe will take a pay cut. If he doesn't and is retained, I think there will be a significant fan outrage.

When I say bench him, he would have to show basically no improvment from where he was at towards the end of this past season. How couldn't you bench him? His poor play would SPAN THREE SEASONS.

Devin
01-27-2004, 11:05 AM
ill post a break down on him so theres no doubt about his skill.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Devin
ill post a break down on him so theres no doubt about his skill.

Thanks!:cheers:

Jan Reimers
01-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix

Rivers is now our savior? I'll take a veteran like Drew, with a better interior O line, a better OC, a healthy Moulds and a developing Reed, and a power running game, over a rookie, anytime. Rivers may be great at some point, but putting a rookie QB in charge next season will set us back 2 or 3 years.

For those of you who think Rivers will step right in and be better than Drew, imagine Rivers, a raw rookie, trying to succeed in Drew's position last year - with a horrible O line, an idiot OC, a young and banged up receiving corps, and an unwillingness to commit to the run even when situations cried for it.

Let's give Drew the basic resources that every successful QB in this league enjoys, before we replace him with an untested rookie. But let's draft, and groom, his eventual replacement.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

Rivers is now our savior? I'll take a veteran like Drew, with a better interior O line, a better OC, a healthy Moulds and a developing Reed, and a power running game, over a rookie, anytime. Rivers may be great at some point, but putting a rookie QB in charge next season will set us back 2 or 3 years.

For those of you who think Rivers will step right in and be better than Drew, imagine Rivers, a raw rookie, trying to succeed in Drew's position last year - with a horrible O line, an idiot OC, a young and banged up receiving corps, and an unwillingness to commit to the run even when situations cried for it.

Let's give Drew the basic resources that every successful QB in this league enjoys, before we replace him with an untested rookie. But let's draft, and groom, his eventual replacement.

You are proving my point. If TD makes the right moves, Drew will have the support he needs. Therefore if his poor play continues for half a season but the D and Henry/Willis gets them to 4-4 and not out of the hunt, I could see a change.

...and I am in no way saying he would be savior. Hopefully just a sound QB who fits the team nicely and doesn't make mistakes at the worst possible times.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 11:22 AM
What is this fixation that so many have for Lavalais? He is well down the list of DTs in most draft service ratings.

he is the 3-5 ranked DT..

harris, wilfolk, starks, lavalais, dockett are the top 5.

if you have watched him play, you would see why i personally like the guy so much. 4 years starter at lsu.. great inside pass rush, smart player.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 11:23 AM

any rookie in this draft could put up drews impressive 11 tds to 24 turnovers in a full season.

Bmax
01-27-2004, 11:41 AM
why are we eventalking about drafting a dt in rd 2... no need need is greater at de..... remember schobel is free agent next season...so we might just draft a de to cover his departure ...

My choice would be smith.......who is not a reach at 13 and he is a every down player.....He played well against the run at ohio st and he can put on additional weight if needed .. at current size he is probably already stronger than kelsay and schobel....

6-3-260..

Bmax

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Will Smith = Aundray Bruce

Mark it down!

Throne Logic
01-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Will Smith = Aundray Bruce

Mark it down!

Does that make Bruce Smith = Will Aundray?

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

Does that make Bruce Smith = Will Aundray?

I don't know is Will Aundray a future HOF!:snicker:

Throne Logic
01-27-2004, 12:46 PM
I always thought "Bruce Smith" sounded like a fake name . . . like John Bigbooty

Bmax
01-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Spaz You are way off on will smith..

I had the opportunity to listen to the ourlads guy on gr 55 yesterday and he praised smith for his ability to be a everydown player..... He even compared him to micheal strahan....Being a buckeye fan i've seen a ton of games smith has played....AND HE IS A BACKFIELD DISRUPTER...

He has good speed and surprising power....I guess it depends on who you want to believe about smith.....How is it that somwe of you can have more faith in kelsay or denney but doubt smith...

I have posted this before bruce smith weighed only 265....Jason taylor ......only 255....and he plays every down....aundray bruce was not as strong as w. smith .. he was labeled a Lt (LAWRENCE TAYLOR) type when he was drafted...he was the classic tweener when de's where even smaller than they are now...

Jason taylor is even not as strong as W. Smith.....

i'll take this wager anyday will smith will be a better pro than aundray bruce or kelsay.......i think better than aaron schobel......

Bmax...

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Bmax

I had the opportunity to listen to the ourlads guy on gr 55 yesterday and he praised smith for his ability to be a everydown player..... He even compared him to micheal strahan....Being a buckeye fan i've seen a ton of games smith has played....AND HE IS A BACKFIELD DISRUPTER...

He has good speed and surprising power....I guess it depends on who you want to believe about smith.....How is it that somwe of you can have more faith in kelsay or denney but doubt smith...

I have posted this before bruce smith weighed only 265....Jason taylor ......only 255....and he plays every down....aundray bruce was not as strong as w. smith .. he was labeled a Lt (LAWRENCE TAYLOR) type when he was drafted...he was the classic tweener when de's where even smaller than they are now...

i'll take this wager anyday will smith will be a better pro than aundray bruce or kelsay.......i think better than aaron schobel......

Bmax...

I heard that also. He ranks smith higher than Udeze and is the # 1 DE in the draft.

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Bmax

Bmax...

Well it's not easy to be better than a bust like Aundrey Bruce I guess.:snicker: and Kelsay it's way too early to tell it was his rookie year. I just have abad feeling about Smith he isn't as fast as Freeney or Kearse so that is my main problem wit him and the fact that 3 os so Ohio ST. D-linemen should be drafted this year.

BillsMan80
01-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Will Smith is garbage. He is nothing more than a situational pass rusher or convert to OLB. He is not going to be anything more than an average pro as he doesn't have the size or the strength to stand out. I would hate him at 13. When you think of Smith, think Corey Moore.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
the reason we are not talking about DEs in the draft is because they all friggen suck except for udeze.

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
the reason we are not talking about DEs in the draft is because they all friggen suck except for udeze.

Exactly!:up:

BillsMan80
01-27-2004, 01:43 PM
I am not even that enamored about Udeze. He's decent, but nothing special. When I think of Udeze, I think of Jerome McDougle from last year, and he's yet to establish himself as a quality player.

TedMock
01-27-2004, 01:49 PM
no doubt. Isn't Smith from Utica? Anyways, we're in a tough situation as far as this pick is concerned. Some of the mock boards have us taking Matt Schaub in the 2nd or 3rd round. He had a shoulder injury for the first part of this season and his arm strength never seemed to come back. That pick scares me. Rivers isn't quite worth the 13th pick but he's most likely gone by 20 so if trading down is possible it's not for that many spots. Plus, after Rivers, the talent level at the position plummets. Ben/Eli are top tier, Rivers is 'b' level then it's a cluster f**k from there on. I don't think any QB in the draft is ready to start and that includes the top two guys. I'd prefer OG help more than anything but I have a feeling that's not our first pick. Maybe one of these guys like Schaub ends up a solid QB. I'm just wondering if we should just swallow it and take Rivers 10 spots sooner than he should go and go after DE's and/or OL in the later rounds. I guess free agency will tell a lot more.

ryven
01-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Cody Pickett could be a quality pick and should be there in the 3rd. round and we can then pick to help our O-line or get a WR in the first two.

Pickett is a little rough around the edges and definitly not rivers but it gives us a viable choice.

elltrain22
01-27-2004, 02:55 PM
I would like us to draft a QB, and i really hope that it is Rivers, but i don't think that would be the smartest pick for our 1st pick, seeing as he probably wouldn't play. But, who knows, TD may shock the world again. I think we need to pick o-line or de w/ our 1st pick, even if it means missing out on Rivers; but i'll be happy either way.

Captain gameboy
01-27-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I am getting a little suspicious of our early round pick capability.
Is Big Mike the factor we thought he'd be?
Is Josh Reed living up to our hopes?
Have we been successful in our early defensive end draft choices?
All are early choices in the TD era, and none have distinguished themselves.
I'm hoping that we trade the 13 pick to someone who really wants Rivers, but instead of choices, give us a young, starting guard, with pro bowl potential, and the burner WR we need.

Then grab a QB who suits our needs via free agency or next draft.

helmetguy
01-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't mind picking Rivers at 13 if there isn't a guy there who can provide an immediate impact in one of our need positions. What we have currently under contract is more than adequate to be competitive. I'm optimistic that, in Mularkey, we won't have the same, indecisive theorists that we had in Williams and his cohort, Gilbride. We can't fill each position with a Pro Bowler anyway, so why not fill the immediate needs with judicious free agent signings and maintain depth, with an eye toward developing some of the younger talent; Rivers included.

BuffaloRanger
01-29-2004, 01:07 AM
The key to the draft is getting starters with your 4th and 5th round picks. If you can pull that off it automatically ranks at least a "B". Think Dan Coppen or Manning (not the QB). Yeah, I know, needle in a haystack.

I hope McNally made it a condition of him coming here that at least one stud would be brought in. Maybe Grove or Carey.

Funny how last year all I heard was "never draft a center in the first round." I wanted Jeff Faine who was doing very well with the Browns before his injury in game 4.

If we traded down to #23 and Grove was still on the board this year, I'd say it'd be a no-brainer.

kill4bills
01-29-2004, 03:28 AM
has everyone forgot about losman? i know hes cocky but will definitely be there in the 2 or even 3rd rd

hemi13
01-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Honesty, I would take Rivers if he's still on the board. The kid will be a superstar someday

35Pete
01-29-2004, 06:08 AM
Don't waste a 1st round pick on a QB. He is NOT going to step in this year PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rookie QB's rarely play well until their 3rd or 4th years and with Free Agency we need to win sooner than later. This draft is deep at QB. Spend a 3rd rounder and develop him. Go after our more pressing needs at DE, and OL. McNally will give Drew more time with the OL, and Clements will maximize his potential. Don't expect a miracle from Drew, just a little more methodical workman-like play this year.

hemi13
01-30-2004, 07:15 AM
I think it will be Rivers, but he will not be ready to play this year. His stock had shot through the roof after the Senior Bowl, and this kid is going to be a superstar. Give him a year to work with Drew and learn the pro system first.

Mr. Cynical
01-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Quote from ESPN:

Since the 1970 merger, there have been 46 quarterbacks chosen in the first round, yet just four own Super Bowl rings. Of the last seven Super Bowl games, only one was captured by a quarterback playing for the franchise that originally drafted him, and that was Brady in Super Bowl XXXVI.

Time was when the blueprint for winning a title included choosing a quarterback high in the draft, nurturing him through an apprenticeship, then elevating him to the starter's role once the gestation period had ended. That road map has gone the way of the single wing and, by comparison, replaced by something drawn up on cocktail napkin. The shocking thing is, looking at the results of the past few years, the helter-skelter method has worked.

"When it comes to breaking in quarterbacks anymore," said Buffalo Bills president and general manager Tom Donahoe, "the old mold has been smashed."

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs03/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1719796)

Something to keep in mind on when drafting a 1st round QB. I'm thinking get either a killer DE or WR for 1st pick.