PDA

View Full Version : Would You Take DE Adewale Ogunleye??

RUDEbyallMEANS
01-27-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm curious to see the Bills fans view of the Bills possibility to get Ogun for a 1st and 3rd round picks.. He more than likely will be tendered a 1st and 3rd rounder, atleast he should..

I think the only thing that hold back the Bills defense from being dominant is a player like Ogunleye.. A dominant pass rusher who dominated a top 5 draft pick (Mike Williams) in both games last year

Your thoughts??

Mr. Miyagi
01-27-2004, 09:41 AM
A 1st and 3rd??? Are you nuts?

No thanks. I might consider a 4th but that's it.

ryven
01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Well I thought he was only RFA so I dont know about giving up a first rounder but he is a guy who has made good progress and I wouldn't mind him on this team but I seroiusly dont see it happening.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 09:44 AM
I would probably stop being a Bills fan

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2004, 10:18 AM
He is a good player but I wouldn't give up that much to get him. If he was an unrestricted FA I would love for the Bills to sign him, but I don't want to give up any picks for him.

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
I would probably stop being a Bills fan

:jawdrop:

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Rude, if we were at the bottom of the first round, i would consider giving up a very LOW first rounder for him.. but no way would i pay a first and a third. I think he is a strong DE, but it remains to be seen how much of that was the system and jason taylor.. it seems whoever you plug in at Oguns spot seems to do well, like bromel and mixon, who both left and did nothing.. david bowens has also done well in that position too before injury.. i just dont have complete faith that his numbers are a direct reflection of his skill.

Ð
01-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Yeah, he's no Bruce Schmidt

Throne Logic
01-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Um, why would Miami ever trade him to Buffalo? Never happen.

If TD tries to pull a power move on his restricted status, then the draft pick compensation is already pre-defined, is it not?

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR

:jawdrop:

well, maybe not. But if they gave up a 1st and a 3rd AND had to pay a guy who had ONE great season, I would lose all faith in the organization. How's that?

clumping platelets
01-27-2004, 11:24 AM
I believe Miami will tender him at the 1st rd tender of approx. $1.5 million. The 1st & 3rd tender will be about $1.9 million. At that level, I believe he'll remain in Miami because a team would have to give up a 1st and 3rd PLUS sign him to an outrageous contract. Many teams will shy away and I've read that the Redskins would have likely passed on signing Coles if he had been tendered at the 1st & 3rd level and may have turned their attention to Peerless Price. Hmmm.....maybe we could have gotten more for him in a trade??

However, at the 1st rd tender, I believe some teams in the lower third of the 1st rd will absolutely be interested. This will essentially allow other teams to do Miami's negotiating for them and give them the option of matching any offer sheet signed by O-Gun or taking the 1st rd pick and regained the cap space from the tender. Miami already has a great deal of cap space devoted to the defense and it would likely they would allow him to leave.

My prediction: Miami tenders him at the 1st rd level. Teams in the league will delay trying to sign him, thus limiting Miami's ability to shop in FA (amount of tender stays on cap until resolution of the the player's situation and Miami has a very tight cap, maybe even "cap jail"). Philly, Dallas, or Seattle will sign him to an offer sheet in late March or early April. Miami will not match the offer sheet. Miami will have 2 #1's and get back the tender amount to use for their rookie pool

THATHURMANATOR
01-27-2004, 11:26 AM

well, maybe not. But if they gave up a 1st and a 3rd AND had to pay a guy who had ONE great season, I would lose all faith in the organization. How's that?

Better.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 11:31 AM

he had 9.5 sacks the season before and led the afc this season with 15 sacks... and he wasnt a starter as a rookie.. he just completed his 3rd year.. i would not consider that 2 very good years, and being that he is only 3 years in.. that is very good.

The Natrix
01-27-2004, 11:34 AM
O yeah, I think he had one good and one great. I like him, just not at that price.

SABURZFAN
01-27-2004, 12:16 PM
it would be totally useless to give up a 1st and 3rd for him.it cracks me up how some FISH fans want a 1st and 3rd but turn around and say how great he is.if he was so great,wouldn't they release some other overpaid schmoe?i'd love to see them offer O-gun the $1.8 or $1.9 million,get stuck with him,and then he bolts for greener pastures.

don137
01-27-2004, 12:29 PM
I beieve only teams with a higher draft pick than Miami (#20) can bid on him so if a team like NE signed him they would need to make a trade with someone in the top 19 slots and that pick would be given to Miami as compensation.

clumping platelets
01-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Any team with their original #1 pick can bid on him. If a team doesn't have their original #1, they must acquire a #1 higher than their original choice

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 12:37 PM
It would not be a good move for us then we would have 2 260Lb. DE's that is too light. Generally the RDE is the pass rusher and the LDE is the run stopper and 260Lbs is not going to stop a whole lot on that side. If we couldn't get Hicks is FA and Udeze was a available at #13 then that's how I would fill that position if we were to go that route.

ryven
01-27-2004, 12:42 PM
so your saying winfield cant stop a runner anyways jason taylor just plays at 260.

The Spaz
01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ryven
so your saying winfield cant stop a runner anyways jason taylor just plays at 260.

Did I mention Winfield at all? I know what they have I'm talking about what I would like to have. Remember when we had Bruce Smith at RDE and Phil Hansen at the LDE. I would at least like a consistend LDE and have him get an occasional QB sack and get pressure. Besides I wouldn't want him for a 1st and 3rd no ****ing way.

ryven
01-27-2004, 12:49 PM
there is no way I would want buffalo to give up those picks any way.

CWOUSARET
01-27-2004, 01:01 PM
"DULL-FISH?!? DULL-FISH?!? We don't need no stinking DULL-FISH!!!"

nolimit
01-27-2004, 02:30 PM
take O-Gun and shove him up your :moon:

elltrain22
01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
True, Ogunyele has talent, and would be a great upgrade at that position for us, but a 1st and a 4th! My answer is not no, but helllllll no! That would be a horrible deal even if Ogunyele had a pro bowl season. Keep our picks.

Philly Zoner
01-27-2004, 03:31 PM
no way dudes!! he's a Dolphin. I don't think they have a vaccine for that yet.

Buffatexas
01-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I'd take him as long as this guy doesn't come with

Ice_Cube
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN
it would be totally useless to give up a 1st and 3rd for him.it cracks me up how some FISH fans want a 1st and 3rd but turn around and say how great he is.if he was so great,wouldn't they release some other overpaid schmoe?i'd love to see them offer O-gun the $1.8 or $1.9 million,get stuck with him,and then he bolts for greener pastures.

Because the Dolphins are in desperate need of young talent. Ogunleye is the only player the Dolphins could get good compensation for. Also, David Bowens has like a 2 million $ salary cap, and they are hoping he could contribute around 8 sacks next year.

Ice_Cube
01-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Some of you guys sound like babies. He was just asking a question.

It's not possible for Ogunleye to be traded for just a 4th.

Oh... I think the Dolphins will just ask for a 1st which is a fair price for a DE considering that it's hard to find pure pass rushers that also have the ability to stop the run.

Don't even say he's lucky to have JT. You do know that RBs that are blocking are to get Ogunleye not JT. Hell, Ogunleye had like 3 or 4 sacks last year vs. the Ravens up against Ogden because Bates wanted JT on the opposite side against some loser.

RUDEbyallMEANS
01-29-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm pretty surprised all of you said you wouldn't take that.. Especially after watching Ogunleye pimp smack your top 5 pick in Mike Williams all last year..

Just wanted to see where you Bills fans stood on this topic..

the dude
01-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
I'm pretty surprised all of you said you wouldn't take that.. Especially after watching Ogunleye pimp smack your top 5 pick in Mike Williams all last year..

Yah and 3 years back, Robert Hicks (that Robert Hicks with a bum leg) shut down Jevon Kearse in a playoff game.

Mike Williams was trippin' over himself this year - gawd he needs a real OL coach. IF JT or Ogunleye take Big Mike to the cleaners even with McNally coaching him this year, I'll defer to your judgement - and call MW a bum. I still think that although he's a good player, Ogunleye's not in the class of the top ends in the game. More like a Marcellus Wiley type in my eyes - looks better than he is because of his surrounding cast.

Tatonka
01-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

i think the consensus is that he is a good player, and probably worth a first, but this is a very very deep draft, and picks are at a premium this year.. as opposed to last year, which was one of the worst overall talents in a draft i have seen in a long time..

last year, i would have given up the first.. but not this year... and no way on the 1st and 3rd.

Brack733
01-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Mike Williams did not play in the 2nd Miami game this year.

BuffaloRanger
01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Let's be realistic here Bills fans - and remember the past.

A 1st round pick for Ogunleye would be a bargain! Our 1st rounder last year had no impact, and anyone selected this year would probably have growing pains. We couldn't get that kinda of quality at #13 - no way.

I don't buy the "this draft is so deep" argument. That is the same hype that is repeated every year. I've also heard that this draft is very weak at actual impact players, and that late 1st rounders aren't expected to start.

Quotes I've seen...

"I'd never give up a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who had one great season."

"...but a 1st and a 4th! My answer is not no, but helllllll no!"

------ We traded a 1st and 4th for a QB who had 1 friggin good game.

------ Boy I just couldn't part with a 3rd round pick like Angelo Crowell. Oh that would be soooo devastating.

------ Yeah, I'd hate to miss out on another Sam "my legs are" Aiken.

I hate Miami more than anyone. Trading within the division can come back to haunt you. So if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed. But to say he's not worth it, based on the quality (or lack there of) of TDs drafts, just isn't true.

The Spaz
01-29-2004, 08:11 PM
WTF you are giving up on players who we drafted last year and they were 3rd and 4th round picks if we were looking at them to really contribute for us then we deserved our record I guess.:dizzy:

BuffaloRanger
01-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Fine. In 3 years we'll look back and say "Yeah, If we knew then what we knew now, we would have made that trade.

Trading 2 picks for a player that led the AFC in sacks is trading "potential" for "actual production".

I give a damn if the Los Angeles Bills (when Ralph dies) win the SB in 4 years. I want the BUFFALO Bills to win one (at least make the playoffs) in the next two. That takes impact players, not ones with "potential".

If only we weren't giving the pick(s) to the fins. It'd be so much easier if it was a team like Detroit.

Disgustipatex
01-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Ogunleye is worth at least a first round draft pick. The guy was going to be a top pick before he was injured in college. He's come out and excelled.

24 1/2 sacks in 2 seasons as a starter. Who drafted recently has done better or is on pace to do better? Not many people. The only one I know off the top of my hands is Freeney...And he's a flat out liability against the run.

If you cant afford Kearse, and you dont have a top draft pick or have other needs, Ogunleye is the pick you want.

As for why Dolphins fans think we'll get rid of him...We'd all love to keep him. No one is debating that. Two Pro Bowl DE's is better then one. It's just that so much money is invested in the Defense, and our offense has major needs. Ogunleye currently isnt costing us much. If we keep him, he will. That money, and the draft picks we could get from him would be better served in our situation elsewhere.

SABURZFAN
02-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Disgustipatex
If you cant afford Kearse, and you dont have a top draft pick or have other needs, Ogunleye is the pick you want.

TRANSLATION-players are gonna get cut and we have no 2nd rounder either.we're in dire need for picks.can you spare a 3rd rounder too?:snicker2: