PDA

View Full Version : Lavalais

Devin
01-27-2004, 11:23 AM
I had him as my 2nd round pick, i wanted to trade down to take Rivers in the late 1st (providing how well he does at the combine)

Anyway a few friends as well as a few on this board questioned the lavalais pick so I thought id give a bit of insight.

Aside from not only getting his degree in education and being a very well rounded individual hes a very tough individual mentally.

Hes been both Defensive player of the year and an All-American (including his senior season) and is ranked by many as the 2nd best DT available.

A finalist for both the Outland and Nagurski awards, Lavalais was the only All-American on the LSU title team.

With 7 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FG Block, 15 tackels for a loss he was the anchor in the LSU line this past season. Against Ol' Miss he told Eli manning what play they were running then bull rushed the OL into him knocking him down.

This guy is a beast he will be gone by the end of the 2nd round I just hope we can snag him.

Tatonka
01-27-2004, 11:29 AM
i have been pimping lavalais since my first projected draft article about 3 months ago..

now, there is NO way that he is the 2nd best DT in the draft.. harris and wilfolk have that completely locked up.. but he is right there in that class with starks and dockett.

he is definately my favorite DT in this draft though.

to give you an idea of what to expect from him.. remember the play in the first patriots game where brady hiked the ball and sam adams dove through the line and had brady in his grasp before he even took a 3 step drop.. that is the kind of penitration he got consisently in college..

i would compair him to a slightly smaller pat williams.

don137
01-27-2004, 12:38 PM
It seems like there is always a run on DL in the draft especially at the DT position. I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken late in the 1st round.
I also think he would be a great pick for Buffalo if he was available in round two because Williams and Adams are no spring chickens...

Devin
01-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Harris is deffo #1, i have always thought of him as 2nd-3rd best an article on espn.com had him as 3rd best. His major downfall is his size hes a little smaller then average. 6'3 - 295 pounds. But He is so quick and powerful he amkes up for it.

Being a long time LSU fan I have always been high on him. think with he and Schobel and Denney if he comes around this year we would have a hell of a speedy line.

Jan Reimers
01-27-2004, 04:49 PM
From what I've seen, he seems to be a major reach in the 2nd round, particularly for a team with far more critical needs.

Dozerdog
01-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Could we use him at DE when Adams and Pat Williams are on the field? Or is he just to slow?

DraftBoy
01-27-2004, 05:38 PM
He could be used situationally with Big pat and Sam on the field, but I wouldnt consider it to be a major thing, he is more of a power player than a finess rusher like you'd expect on the outside.

Devin
01-27-2004, 07:07 PM
hes very very fast, could prob even pass as an end.

Jan Reimers
01-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Man, if he's that big and that fast, why is he ranked as low as 11th among DTs by some draft guides? I'm not saying I don't like him, but the fact that his rating varies so much amongst the different draft services really scares me.

Tatonka
01-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Could we use him at DE when Adams and Pat Williams are on the field? Or is he just to slow?

probably

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Man, if he's that big and that fast, why is he ranked as low as 11th among DTs by some draft guides? I'm not saying I don't like him, but the fact that his rating varies so much amongst the different draft services really scares me.

good question.. i am not sure.. but his performance is definately not the reason.

Tatonka
01-28-2004, 10:40 AM
that would be a question for ingtar..

Devin
01-28-2004, 01:16 PM
yeah id be interested to hear ingtars take on him, he isnt the best but man oh man watching some of his film is really incredible. Hes so damn fast. Hes smaller then the prototypical DT, but he really stands out. I mean how many National title teams have only one All-American?

The other kid I like from LSU is Green I think, hes a KR/WR and is easily the fastest player i saw in college this year. He likely wouldnt be a great WR but gets compared to Dante Hall a lot for his stryle and speed on KR.