PDA

View Full Version : What about this kid in the later rounds... luke mccown

STAMPY
01-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Luke McCown

Comparison:

Strengths

I love the way he throws the football, has a very quick release. Can put the ball anywhere he wants to, can throw touch passes or deep passes. Has great technique and is a fine athlete as well, moves pretty well. Can get out of the pocket set and throw a strike.

Weaknesses

He has had interception problems at Louisiana Tech but I’m not really concerned about that. McCown is a smart player and has put up amazing numbers on a team without that much talent. Needs to show he is not just a West Coast offense quarterback that puts up numbers just because of the system, and I think he can do that. Also does not have great arm strength but his touch makes up for that.

Summary

Fine looking talent, has dominated at times on the field and put up huge numbers. Has a good arm, wonderful touch, nice size, good athlete as well. Just needs to work on his arm strength a little and accuracy with the ball at times also. The kid can throw a football as good as anyone; love to watch him fling the ball.

elltrain22
01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
I saw Mc Cown play 3 times this past season, and I was impressed at him against lesser teams, but in games against better teams he displayed some weaknesses. First, he does not throw a good out pass, which is essential in the NFL; especially around 2 minutes. Second, your right he does throw alot of int's mainly b/c when the defense throws an all out blitz, or if him simply has a little heat put on him, he can make bad decisions instead of throwing the ball away. On the other hand, he is big, and he does throw a good ball. He also has fam' in the NFL, as his bro' Josh plays for the lowly Cards.

Overall, i really don't see him being too much of a star at this level, but that is only my opinion, and i could surley be proven wrong.

STAMPY
01-28-2004, 12:03 AM
is he better then smoker?

Dozerdog
01-28-2004, 12:07 AM
I do not want Smoker- he was a discipline problem at MSU in the 2002 season

The Spaz
01-28-2004, 12:09 AM
I'll tell you what I think about McCown he wore the dreaded #11:dizzy: Seriously though I wouldn't mind getting him in the 5-6 round if we didn't address the QB position earlier.

STAMPY
01-28-2004, 12:21 AM
ya he seems to throw a pretty ball. maybe some coaching will help avoid the ints

35Pete
01-28-2004, 07:18 AM
I don't want a Michigan State product as my QB. I'd rather see us grab Josh Harris in the 3rd. IMHO

Jan Reimers
01-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I do not want Smoker- he was a discipline problem at MSU in the 2002 season

Yes, but he overcame it to become a good citizen and a good QB in 2003. Must a mistake made by a 21 year old kid ruin the rest of his life?

TigerJ
01-28-2004, 07:49 AM
I think Smoker's problems in '02 stemmed from alcohol. I understand he's accepted responsibility for it and is dealing very well with it. I know there's always a risk, but I think he could be worth the risk with a low round draft choice.

DraftBoy
01-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Only thing is Smoker is touted to go in the 3rd or 4th round, not in the low rounds, and i dont want him on this team. If he cant control himself at college with the restricted atmosphere they have, then what the hell is gonna make him control himself in the pros with a no holds barred atmosphere. College presents kids with alot of choices to make but also we are still under the watch of people here like professors and in his case coaches, in the NFL he wont have that so whose to say he wont relapse. I pray he doesnt b.c hes a solid prospect, but hes too risky especially since it was alcohol.

Bulldog
01-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
Only thing is Smoker is touted to go in the 3rd or 4th round, not in the low rounds, and i dont want him on this team. If he cant control himself at college with the restricted atmosphere they have, then what the hell is gonna make him control himself in the pros with a no holds barred atmosphere. College presents kids with alot of choices to make but also we are still under the watch of people here like professors and in his case coaches, in the NFL he wont have that so whose to say he wont relapse. I pray he doesnt b.c hes a solid prospect, but hes too risky especially since it was alcohol.

Restricted atmosphere at Michigan State? Are you serious? I had a friend of mine that played for Michigan State and I can tell you from experience that the atmosphere is far from restricted. And I really don't think that the professors could/would watch out for anyone. The school has 45,000+ students enrolled at any given time. The kid made some bad decisions, just as we all have and I think he has learned from his mistakes and will do well in the NFL.

Tatonka
01-28-2004, 12:35 PM
i like smoker.

Tatonka
01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
to add to that.. smoker reminds me alot of phillip rivers.

Bulldog
01-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I too like Smoker. Although his play has been erratic in the past. Some games he looks great, other games he plays like a pole smoker.

Tatonka
01-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
pole smoker.

:snicker: