PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who think GW & Co. have improved from last year to this:

WG
10-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Why do you think that?

Here's some food-for-thought before answering:

Most of you argue increased wins. OK.

Suppose nothing changed from last year to this one other than talent upgrades. Ie., Drew, Better OL, Reed, Moore, Wire, Ahanotu, etc.

If we went back to last season w/ those players, how many games would we have won? I'll say 7 or 8 for the sake of argument. But make up your own mind and consider it when answering the question.

So then, if with all the upgrades, we are only 6-10 or 7-9 anyway, which we have yet to prove we can attain, then if GW and the coaching staff has actually improved, shouldn't that reflect in there somewhere too?

And secondly, how do those of you who do think that the coaching staff has improved, justify our dropping from:

21st to 25th in yardage defense
13th to 21st in passing defense
29th to 32nd in scoring defense
adding 10 points-per-game allowed
22nd to 27th in rushing offense
averaging over 26 yards-per-game less rushing

...to date so far this season.

Our schedule has not been tough. The combined record of our opponents to date is 11-12. We lost a game to a team that is 1-4 and were taken to O/T by a team that is winless at 0-4 and were taken to our limits by yet another that is 2-3.

Other than STs which has only improved in the sense that it is no longer completely miserable, the only aspect of our team that has improved significantly is the passing offense and that is largely due to the fact that Drew is playing the best ball of his life.

Given all that, why is it that GW has gotten credit for improving.

Please don't slam me, just answer the question. It's very valid and I'm indeed curious as to why others see things opposite of what our play is indicating.

Rebecky
10-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Wys, I'm with you all the way. It's obvious that our improvement has come thanks to Kevin Gilbride's taking over the offense and Drew Bledsoe's on-field talent -- two TD hires.

Is there any improvement in this team which would not have occurred even with Kermit the Frog as HC? What exactly is GW's contribution?

Romes
10-10-2002, 06:37 PM
OK this is my theory. Last year we couldn't put points up on the board so 21 points would usually beat us. Therefore teams would run on us after they got their lead. Hence, the 26 yards more rushing per game last year.

This year however, teams have to score 35-40 points a game to beat us. They are forced to pass the ball much more to keep up with our defense. Thus the worse pass defence and the points-per game.

So, IMO, our defence isn't necessarily worse than last year but they haven't shown they are any better. Which is dissapointing because on paper they should be better.

The_Philster
10-10-2002, 06:38 PM
damn...that's the longest Wys post I've actually read...and I agree with it all. One thing that GW did improve on is how he ran camp.....none of those stupid airhorns and he cut back on the two-a-days a bit to save wear and tear on his top players. At the same time, maybe some of these players could have used that extra practice...the LBs have yet to perform up to the level I expected of them. Gilbride and the talent brought in are the reasons for the improvement.

Kelly The Dog
10-10-2002, 06:39 PM
well i think the teams were 7-2 total going in against us and about 4-10 after. That says more to me that the 11-12 total.

In the first five games last year we were embarrassed against the Saints, completely embarassed against the Colts, were never really a threat to win against the Steelers, got abused by the Jets and then beat the Jags for our first win. In all games this year not only did we play good enough to win, we could have or should have won all five. Some will say that's bad and some will say that's good.

We have the top two receivers in the league and they were on the team last year and did nothing.

We have the top punter and one of the top kickers, a kick return for a TD, one of the top sack teams I think (amazing as that sounds) and one of the top offenses in recent history.

Everyone but you, fan and writer, seems to think we're not only on the way up but damn dangerous.

We're not great yet but we're much much better than last year.

WG
10-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Cal,

"Hence, the 26 yards more rushing per game last year."

You misunderstood! We, our rushing Offense, has more than 26 yards-per-game less rushing output as a team. Not the opponents. Ie., our rushing game isn't anywhere near what it was last year. It should be, at least in theory.

WG
10-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Kelly,

Let me know when that Percocet wears off, will ya!

You're scaring me! Did you consult w/ your physician first. Also, here's a tip, actually watch the games on Sundays.

:D

JK

WG
10-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Kelly,

How many starters on the Bills do you think we should have in the Pro-Bowl this year?

What? 9, 10? On offense that is.

I'm assuming that we'll have 5 or 6 on our D as well if your votes "break the tie!" LOL

GW for president!!!

Kelly The Dog
10-10-2002, 10:21 PM
you asked why anyone would think we're better this year than last, and i gave you about five reasons, and you responded to zero. Just said that it was crazy. I'll asume you agree with all of them, but then again, i supposed you would have to, they're facts.

I'd say we have three perhaps four Pro Bowl starters on offense and zero on defense. Drew, Moulds, and perhaps Centers by default, and of course Ruben, because it's the law. Peerless as a back-up.

WG
10-10-2002, 10:42 PM
You gave a bunch of excuses and didn't address the facts at the top of this thread.

Look, I asked a serious question kelly. If you don't want to answer but want to take me on instead, simply go start a thread attacking me. I can take it. I won't show up, but you can feel free.

I asked a legitimate question and provided some true, factual, data that no one who watches the NFL seems to dispute except you. If you can't respond within the bounds of this question, you don't have to feel obligated to answer simply b/c you saw my name attached to this thread.

;)

Romes
10-10-2002, 11:10 PM
OK, yeah, I guess i did misunderstand.

I still need to ask then how does our rush defense compare to last years?

My theory still could be true.

The Spin Rx
10-10-2002, 11:35 PM
From an outsiders eye.................

You are 13-24 over your last two seasons including THIS years partial. You JUST have not been very good the last few years..... simple. Since Willimas took over you are 5-16, with a probable 3-3 record at the 6 game mark this year. This is the first time you have sniffed .500 since he arrived. For all your defensive breakdowns, and special teams disasters, you COULD be a little better than this. This is progress guys. Take it from an ex-Oiler fan. It is grating, fingernail on chalkboard progress, but progress all the same. :bravo:

HOWEVER, I really expected your defensive play to be improved this year due to the extra year in the system. I have NOT seen it. You have great secondary talent, but they are giving up points like Allen Iverson. Your linebacker play is PITIFUL. Worst in the league. I thought you guys were fools to use OLD guys like Fletcher, and Eddie Robinson. They were marginal players when they were in the PEAK of their careers. How can they somehow become the great linebackers they NEED to be to make THIS Defense work? Face it, this is a defense that needs linebackers with Saftey type speed. Your linebackers are too old, and too slow. :help:

Perhaps your cap didn't let you upgrade here. I do not follow your team THAT close. I am a MASSIVE NFL fan however, and follow every team to some extent. Untill you get more speed and talent at linebacker, this defense is doomed to be average. :stuck:

Congratulations, the NFL has ONE team (every year) that has a dynamite and dangerous offense, but can't beat a good team. You are the *new* Indy COLTS. :anvil:

PLAYOFFS? PLayyyyyyyyyoffs?:hamrhed: To answer the question. Yes I see progress. You no longer SUCK. You are now like the Colts. Dangerous to teams like the Texans, but you will not beat a good team. As a fan this STILL sucks, but as long as you do not STAY this way, hell.........it's progress..............
V

WG
10-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Cal,

It isn't! ;)

"22nd to 27th in rushing offense
averaging over 26 yards-per-game less rushing"

We were 22nd in rushing last year. This year we're 27th and averaging over 26 yards less per game.

Nice post there Expansion!

Only Fletcher is only 27/28 or something like that. I agree that he's not effective or that fast. But he's certainly not over the hill. Robinson is however. I fully agree there. I never thought he was a good pickup.

If GW and TD go get a single other former Texan or Steeler, I think I'm gonna implode!

It's called "free-agency" fellas! The only good players are not on the Texans and Steelers. This back-door "hidden-talent" approach is getting old really quickly. Time to play free-agency like the other good teams out there.

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 12:01 AM
yeah....... I guess by watching him play, I just THOUGHT he was old. :cynic: He doesn't play MATURE. He plays OLD. :sick:

DIHARD2
10-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Wys, Why are you so ready to judge a work in progress.

With the offense we have this year and the defense we had last year I would say we would have had a 10/6 season. The point is these are two different teams, until all the pieces are in place you cannot judge the coaching staff at this time at least not honestly.

If you want me to just agree with you, let me know now and from now on I just won't respond with anything except I agree on any of your post.

If you're on the throughway the stretch from Buffalo to Rochester and your driving a Porsche, would you keep it 70 miles an hour or would you put the fuzz buster on to see how fast you can go. You have the tools on the offense so why not use it.

We all can sit here and second-guess the coach it always easier to do it after the fact. What you see and what I see in this team are two different things, I see a glass half full you see it half empty. At the end of the season G. W. will still have his job, so those who don't want him here might as well get used to it. Next season once the defense is put in place on the upgrade then I'll judge the coaching staff, but not until the middle of next season.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Kelly The Dog
10-11-2002, 12:07 AM
I did address it directly, wys. I refuted your 11-12 records against stat with what IMO is a much better and realistic way to look at our opponents records. The Jets (0-0) were flying high coming into the first game after having the best pre-season of anyone. We injured Curtis Martin and beat them up as a team as they sneaked out a win. The crumbled after with no Martin. The Vikings (0-1) had outplayed Chicago but lost the week before on fluke plays at the end. They had yet to implode. The Broncos (2-0) were on a roll after beating the Rams and 49ers easily before Warner was hurt. The Bears (2-1) hadnt been playing fabulous but were winning, too, and the Raiders (3-0) were the hottest most explosive team in the league coming in. Going into the games against the Bills these teams were a collective 7-2. Because of the week to week fleeting hot and cold streaks in the NFL, that, to me, is a better indication then seeing what a team did four weeks after playing us.

I then showed what we did in the first five games last year vs. this year. Our defensive yard and scoring stats may be worse but as a team we are light years ahead of last year IMO. We were embarrassed badly in three of the five games last year. We werent embarassed as a team in any of the games this year and had a good chance to win any or all of them. I added that the same receivers we had last year werent doing anything and this year are 1-2 in the league. Our special teams are better despite the godawful first game. Our punting and kicking and returning are better. We scare other teams, we get national attention and respect. That all adds up to a much better team than last year and everyone, starting with TD and through Gilbride and GW and Drew all should get credit. People tend to blame GW for hiring Sheppard but give him no credit for Gilbride. We looked defeated last year when we left the field and this year the other teams are limping off with long injury lists and always lose the game after they play us, and talk in post game conferences how tough we are and impressed they are. Did they say that last year? On the sidelines the players are into the game and publicly show affection for their head coach as we have seen several times. This all adds up to a much better team than last years.

justasportsfan
10-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ExpansionBlues
From an outsiders eye.................

You are 13-24 over your last two seasons including THIS years partial. You JUST have not been very good the last few years..... simple. Since Willimas took over you are 5-16, with a probable 3-3 record at the 6 game mark this year. This is the first time you have sniffed .500 since he arrived. For all your defensive breakdowns, and special teams disasters, you COULD be a little better than this. This is progress guys. Take it from an ex-Oiler fan. It is grating, fingernail on chalkboard progress, but progress all the same. :bravo:

HOWEVER, I really expected your defensive play to be improved this year due to the extra year in the system. I have NOT seen it. You have great secondary talent, but they are giving up points like Allen Iverson. Your linebacker play is PITIFUL. Worst in the league. I thought you guys were fools to use OLD guys like Fletcher, and Eddie Robinson. They were marginal players when they were in the PEAK of their careers. How can they somehow become the great linebackers they NEED to be to make THIS Defense work? Face it, this is a defense that needs linebackers with Saftey type speed. Your linebackers are too old, and too slow.
Perhaps your cap didn't let you upgrade here. I do not follow your team THAT close. I am a MASSIVE NFL fan however, and follow every team to some extent. Untill you get more speed and talent at linebacker, this defense is doomed to be average.
Congratulations, the NFL has ONE team (every year) that has a dynamite and dangerous offense, but can't beat a good team. You are the *new* Indy COLTS.
PLAYOFFS? PLayyyyyyyyyoffs?:hamrhed: To answer the question. Yes I see progress. You no longer SUCK. You are now like the Colts. Dangerous to teams like the Texans, but you will not beat a good team. As a fan this STILL sucks, but as long as you do not STAY this way, hell.........it's progress..............
V

Why can't finfans make sense like this Texan fan? Good post, but we are gonna do this :chair: to your team this weekend. :D

WG
10-11-2002, 12:13 AM
We didn't lose anything on D.

So why did it get worse?

We added Ahanotu, Fletcher, and Robinson ins't any worse than Foreman.

In our secondary we added Wire and Jenkins. Shouldn't we have imroved, or at minimum, as you implied, stayed the same?

Yet, we digressed. Why? What would cause that? You can't say a tougher schedule since our first 5 games was the easy stretch of this season's schedule. Our opponents were 11-12 combined now.

No, don't agree w/ me. But do explain to me why we should have gotten any worse. Saying that we didn't address our D is A. incorrect. We did address the secondary which is improved, and the LBs, which is improved simpy by having a healthy Fletcher in place of an injured Cowart. We didn't do much on the DL which I've been suggesting for months now was gonna cost us. It has.

Nevertheless, even if we hadn't done a daggoned thing to the D, it stands to reason that we'd be close to where we were last year. Yet we aren't. We're far worse off in every D cat.

Why?

I'm not asking you to agree. I'm asking for your opinion that explains, reasonably, the reason for the slide in the numbers up top from this year to last. Our STs has even improved so that should have helped us overall too.

justasportsfan
10-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
So why did it get worse?

Maybe injuries last year hid the fact that Jerry Gray sucks. Justa thought....

BTW , it's all Rob's fault.
:lastyr:

DIHARD2
10-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Wys, from your reasoning, Buffalo was the only team that upgraded this off-season. You are not making any sense with your reasoning because what you are saying is every team is standing still except for us. What, are you playing PlayStation 2, or one of those other computer games, you punch in last year's team as compared to this year's teams? That is the only way any team is going to stand still. You need to go apples for apples.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

honey
10-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Ok, I'm all wet, Wys, but I've been watching the games. I don't look at statistics. I watch to see how well we are playing - right now what I see is Drew Bledsoe playing his heart out, Peerless Price catching passes, Moulds doing the same, Travis Henry trying to run right through big bad defensive lines and pretty much doing it. All that upper body strength and all. I also see a team that "believes" they can win in any game Bledsoe is in. Statistics mean nothing to me. Just some numbers I can't comprehend - math has never been my strong suit. I watch the game for the game, for the excitement it brings me - for the fun it brings me, even though all the rest of my family (like last week) are sleeping on the couches and floor except for me. (Maybe I should quit cooking for them! HAHA) That's why I had to come into the computer room and watch it here. You will never be able to tell me and make me believe it that the Bills don't have a really wonderful QB with Drew Bledsoe and with all the other weapons we have. I'm just too optimistic. GO BILLS! :D I still think we have a chance for the playoffs. Ok, slam me now.....:(

honey
10-11-2002, 12:50 AM
Oh, wait. I didn't address the question, I guess. Let's give GW another chance. At least he shows "potential"!

honey
10-11-2002, 12:55 AM
If I've gotten too aggressive for you mods and such, I'm sorry. :sadwalk: I just had to stick up for my Drew and my team and for the coaching staff (even just to give them another chance) . Please don't be mad at me......

justasportsfan
10-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by honey
Ok, I'm all wet

Just some numbers I can't comprehend - math has never been my strong suit. :(

A cold shower will fix that.....and don't worry math is not wys' strong suit either . He still thinks 8-11 is better than 21-9.
:evil:

honey
10-11-2002, 01:23 AM
:lol: I think I like you Justa!

justasportsfan
10-11-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by honey
:lol: I think I like you Justa!

WHo doesn't?:monte:

honey
10-11-2002, 01:40 AM
I think Wys is ignoring me. :sadwalk: Oh, well, won't be the first time.

Earthquake Enyart
10-11-2002, 09:07 AM
The difference is a motivated Drew. Gilbride is getting way too much credit.

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 09:32 AM
I didn't know if you guys ever heard of this little story, but it is in the Houston Chronicle today. With all the crazy Houston - Buffalo connections this team seems to have, I figure I'd just throw this one out also............

By JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bills quarterback Drew Bledsoe and Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer will be on opposite sidelines Sunday when Buffalo visits Reliant Stadium.

Bledsoe and Palmer used to spend more time together than they spent with their wives. Palmer coached the receivers and quarterbacks under Bill Parcells in Bledsoe's first four years with the Patriots.

So what does Bledsoe remember most about his years with Palmer? The way Palmer refined his delivery, helped a young quarterback deal with pressure, or the support and encouragement Palmer provided during the 1996 season, when Bledsoe led the Patriots to Super Bowl XXXI?

"Blue feet," Bledsoe said.

Blue feet?

"Yeah, blue feet."

Bledsoe is sitting on a chair in front of his locker at the Bills' practice facility. He glances at his feet and recalls an afternoon in 1996.

"I put my socks on, and I looked down and saw this blue stuff oozing out the tops," Bledsoe said. "I thought, `What in the world is this?' and then I realized Chris had gotten me good this time."

Palmer, an all-pro practical joker, used the blue substance that police sometimes use to track criminals.

"My feet were blue for two weeks," Bledsoe said.

Bledsoe and his backup, Scott Zolak, pulled different pranks on Palmer, who gets a lot of good-natured kidding because of his size.

For instance, they put a six-inch stool in front of a urinal in the bathroom. They placed Palmer's name on it. Then, they took a shoe box, put Palmer's name on it and made it look like a locker in the dressing room.

"But I got Drew back when his feet turned blue," Palmer said. "He surrendered."

Drew's Blue Feet (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/texansfront/1612956)

Voltron
10-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
We didn't lose anything on D.

So why did it get worse?

Hey Wys what really changed on the rams? They lost a few people but not anyone that they should be 0-5 right now. Some times people are just in a rut and it takes something to pull them out.

Wys I remember when you used to be a big Bills fan .... Now you just constanly complain.

want some cheese with your :wine:

What happened????!!!

BillsNYC
10-11-2002, 10:02 AM
i still have a headache

Rebecky
10-11-2002, 10:41 AM
Addressing a few points:

1) Honey, if you think your posts might be too aggressive, God love you. I think we all appreciate passion in posts -- and I've never read anything you posted that would even remotely qualify as rude or a personal attack. As a refugee from the nasty flame wars at the "official" site, I think it's so refreshing that you could even think anything in your posts was offensive. Even when we disagree, you're on my "A" list!

2) I agree that it's inspiring how Drew is playing his heart out, and our offensive effort can bring tears to your eyes -- the problem is that our defense can also bring tears to your eyes, but for quite different reasons. I don't think our D-problems would bother some of us as much if our offense wasn't doing so well -- but we see the offense trying SOOOO hard, putting us in a position to win any and every game, and then the D takes the field . . . . . . .

3) If Fletcher is such a bust, why are the StL fans screaming for his return to their D. He was their defensive star last year -- he can't have deteriorated that much in one year. If he seems slow, IMHO it's because he's in a scheme that's got him confused as heck. But remember, in the StL D-scheme, the MLB is THE key position, and Fletcher played that difficult position very, very well just last year. He's NOT an untalented player.

4) Just last night ESPN ran a special on the Carolina Panthers D. Last year, one of the worst. Still very low on talent (no better off than the Bills in the talent department) -- and yet Carolina is currently leading the league in fewest PA. Leading the league!

Can we safely say that the Carolina D has improved exponentially? And last night, ESPN seemed to credit the coaching, noting Carolina's successful basic "cover 2" defensive scheme (the type of low risk, bend-don't-break scheme some of us "negative nellies" have been SCREAMING for the Bills to adopt in place of this lousy, failing, high risk, gambling 46-D).

The Bills defense, too, is leading the league -- in highest number of points against! We're heading for a new NFL record in that department!

So isn't it reasonable to say that our defense has NOT improved, not a bit? And, using the same criteria as ESPN did with its analysis of the Panthers D, isn't it reasonable to assume that poor coaching is at least part of our problem?

5) The disaster in StL this year? If anyone had a sure answer for that one, the Rams would probably pay him a million dollars!

I'll throw out one theory -- and I'd love to hear a response from someone who knows the StL scene better than I do.

I wonder if a small part of it may be the same psychology I've seen here in Tennessee with the Titans -- too confident, too fat (metaphorically speaking), too comfortable, nothing left to prove -- just not "hungry" anymore -- football is no longer a passion, it's just what you do to support your luxurious lifestyle.

After the 1999/00 season, the Titans were treated like little gods here in the Nashville area. Titans players and personnel were "in" with every elite politically and socially connected crowd -- "in" with the country music celebrity crowd. The players were opening 4-star restaurants and singing on videos with country music stars and regularly golfing at the most exclusive old-money country club on "The Boulevard". (Rumors were that golf was the ruin of our former once-great kicker, Al Del Greco.)

Has something like that happened in St. Louis, maybe? I'm askin' -- I really don't know.

BillsNYC
10-11-2002, 10:43 AM
wow..very cool rebecky!!! i see world war III happening about to happen between you and wys now!!!

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Rebecky
5) The disaster in StL this year? If anyone had a sure answer for that one, the Rams would probably pay him a million dollars!

I'll throw out one theory -- and I'd love to hear a response from someone who knows the StL scene better than I do.

Offensive line. Simply the Offensive line............

The Rams clearly did not address their line shortcommings. Orlando Pace is the only competant lineman on the Rams offense. The Rams are 0-5 because of the offensive line. Pace is surrounded by mediocrity. With high-priced skill players, the Rams almost had no choice but to go cheap at right tackle. Kurt Warner got hurt, and the Rams have been a disaster.

The NFL is won in the trenches. You can SPRINT out with skill players, but the marathon is won with solid blue collar lineman.

blcny
10-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Our offense is much better then last year, thanks to Drew. Defensively we are worse then last year. A lot of the blame should fall on the defensive scheme we use. The 46 is not working for us. It should be the coaches responsibilty to see that. And they don't. We need to run a defense that is simple. We have a lot of young players. Trying to put them into a compicated 46 is no good. I put a lot of blame on the coaching. Coaches should caoch to there players ability. Our coaching staff is forcing there style of defense, and it is not working. They need to realize that and change, or face being let go. So to answer wys on why we are not better, I blame the caoches for not using the players to the best of there abilities.

Rebecky
10-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Re: StL O-line. You know, that's what the HBO "Inside the NFL" guys were saying -- that Faulk refused to continue his interview with Costas because if Faulk spoke his mind, he'd have to implicate the sorry StL OL. Was not Martz aware of this difficulty in the off season?

Analogy re: risky d-schemes (like the 46) vs. safer schemes (like some form of cover-2): If Rudolfo the Budding Trapeze Artist keeps missing his catcher, Rudolfo needs a safety net. Doesn't matter whether or not it's Rudolfo's fault or the catcher's fault or the coach's fault or bad equipment -- bottom line is, if Rudolfo don't have a safety net, Rudolfo is going to go SPLAT.

Earthquake Enyart
10-11-2002, 11:30 AM
StL OL: They are bad, but opposing teams have figured out that Warner can be rattled with a pass rush. Just like with Bill Walsh years ago, give the NFL a little time and they'll figure out how to defend new schemes.

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 11:41 AM
All Mike *Brainiac* Martz :earpoke: has done for the Rams is *Barry Switzer* the team.

He took a well coached Dick Vermeil team and *switzered* them.

It's kinda like St Louis was *Munsoned* a~la Woody Harrelson, as Woody was *put together* by sly ol' Ed McCracken (Bill Murray)
http://dvdmg.com/kingpinbill.jpg

Drewpac
10-11-2002, 11:53 AM
I agree with Wys on this one. I'm really losing confidence in Williams and Gray. The defense seemed to really be improving at the end of last year and I thought we would be about average this year but we have definitely regressed. I really think they need to have Newman out on the field. He was one of our most solid and steady defenders the past couple of years.
Also, we are only 1 game better than we were last year at this point:(

WG
10-11-2002, 12:10 PM
honey,

Absolutely no offense taken. I agree w/ Rebecky. However, you really didn't read or respond to the original question. So I'm not going to address your post other than to say that very clearly the passing offense has improved. Only an idiot would deny that. But it's been b/c of Drew plain and simple. Moulds and Price have been on the team for years and haven't done what they're doing now.

I posted a bunch of ways in which our team is worse. You didn't really address those.

Rebecky,

As I said, Carolina made some changes. We didn't! Certainly nothing big other than positive ones in terms of player additions or cuts ala the "addition by subtraction" mode.

Our OL is significantly better than last year, yet our rushing game is more than 26 YPG worse than last years.

Our D, using the same scheme as last season, this "dreaded" 46 D, is worse almost categorically.

So why that dropoff? It has nothing to do w/ Carolina's cover-2 schemes. Sorry to say. Our coaching hasn't changed personnel or scheme wise from last season. We've added better players, and have lost no significant talent otherwise. There's no reason why we should be performing so significantly worse.

I think the only thing that it can be is the coaching.

We'll see how we do vs. Houston. The most points they've scored so far this season has been 19 v. the Boys. Let's see how many they get v. us. If it's 20 or more, I dare say we have some issues on D. Coaching, schemes, whatever. I'm not gonna blame the talent however. We knew we only had Williams and Schobel on the DL since last season.

WG
10-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Can the rest of you stick to the point instead of saying how Theisman's face lift has made head coaches lose their edge!

WG
10-11-2002, 12:12 PM
No, he didn't get one...

Lori
10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
I wish we had Carolina's front four..... heck, I wish we had Penn State's front four......

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Rebecky
Can we safely say that the Carolina D has improved exponentially? And last night, ESPN seemed to credit the coaching, noting Carolina's successful basic "cover 2" defensive scheme (the type of low risk, bend-don't-break scheme some of us "negative nellies" have been SCREAMING for the Bills to adopt in place of this lousy, failing, high risk, gambling 46-D).
The only flaw I see in your thinking is that the Cover 2 needs a solid, physical front 7. A cover 2 depends on NOT putting 8 in the *box*. If you can not get good enough push out of your front 7, the cover 2 will NOT work either. It depends on a good pass rush out of your front four. :stick:

Rebecky
10-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Re: pass rush. Do we get a good pass rush when we rush 6? 7? 8? Would we get a good pass rush if we rushed the whole darned bench?! Is it even POSSIBLE for this team to get a good pass rush this year?

If not, why waste men on the line trying? Focus on other areas.

The Spin Rx
10-11-2002, 05:42 PM
Cover 2 will not work without a good rush. But then again, nothing will on this level.........:hitself: